Claimed:Big Name Member Threatens to Leave VHL [Final 6/6]

scoop

Big Name Member Threatens to Leave VHL

The Board of Governors still exists, despite the lack of information coming from them about what they are up to. They continue to work to find ways to better the league, discussing potential changes or implementations. While the time of transparency came and went in a matter of a couple seasons, information does still leak out of the meetings. In general, the BoG shouldn't be concerned with information leaking, because they should be telling us what they are talking about anyway. However, when the story is not entirely relevant to the league's progression, it could be a little more concerning. What I have for you today is a little bit of both. I have some inside information, but not much, on a change being looked at in the BoG. In addition, I have information on one member's over-the-top reaction that may have some of you clamoring for this proposal to be implemented. Given the title of the article, I think you can see where I'm going with that.

83253169.jpg?w=650&h=406&keep_ratio=1&we

A meeting of the Board of Governors

Apparently the VHL is taking a page out of the SHL's books with this possible implementation. The idea, proposed by Devise, would give members the option to select strengths and weaknesses for their player. This would affect the update scale for the selected attributes. That's just about all the information I have on that, but assumptions can be made about what it would mean: an easier update scale for your strengths and a harsher update scale for your weaknesses. I certainly think it's an interesting idea, and I would be on board with some form of it. While you would still have the TPE beasts who just get everything to 99, it would allow those who don't earn as much to make a player with a specific role. In theory, it would be a buff for them, which would make TPE whoring less dominating. I think it's a really neat concept that I would have liked to have seen more of in my sim league career.

Not everyone thinks this is a great idea, however. One member of the opposition is Kendrick, who responded quite extremely to the proposal: "You install those I'm done, the SHL has that and it's so stupid." This quote is as much as I know about the SHL system of strengths and weaknesses, but that's not relevant anyway; what the SHL has or doesn't have shouldn't determine how the VHL functions and how we look at our potential improvements. (Just to be clear, I do recognize that Kendrick wasn't saying that because the SHL has it is why the VHL shouldn't have it.) The point of it all is his threat of departure should the VHL implement such a system of its own. Reports suggest that overall, Kendrick's attitude in the discussion was "poor" and that he was "being pessimistic." Knowing Kendrick, I have no doubt that this is true.

32788903-young-business-people-clapping-

BoG members clapping in support of Devise

Not one to back down from a debate, Devise demonstrated bravery as he responded to Kendrick's confusion about being called out. "Your attitude was that of one that seemed to imply the idea was already set in stone," the verbose member typed. "[...] and that you were threatening to leave if such an absurd idea ever even remotely entered the league." Although I'm not Devise's biggest fan, and I definitely believe that he speaks bullshit more than a lot of other members here, I'm going to trust him on this one. Kendrick's response was to deny that he was "threatening" to leave the league; "You can do what you want, I wouldn't be holding you back," he rebutted. "Just saying it's not something I prefer so I wouldn't stick around." Personally, I don't see how this change would affect him in such a way that he would leave the league over it, but that's his prerogative. Maybe there's more to the change than I'm seeing, but my understanding is that it's an option you can use to customize your player, but it isn't a requirement. To me, this certainly seems like an extreme overreaction from Kendrick.

• Admin

To be fair to Kendrick, I mentioned that the idea might struggle to get support from me because of copying the SHL. Though I don't agree with the way he made his point so I stayed out of the discussion after that.

I normally talk bullshit all the time Streetlight? Really? I barely talk in the regular forums, and when I do it's usually a simple debate. I don't see how I spew bullshit. 

Anyway I'm not actually a fan of the idea either. I didn't champion it or suggest it out of some "desire" to see it implemented. The topic was on peoples thoughts on the current system, and what if anything we could do if people wanted more options.

So I came up with a template just to see thoughts and opinions. No one said my template was perfect, or that it should be implemented. It's a base ground to take a look at if we wanted to do anything like that how it may eventually look. 

Also since your looking for some transparency with this Streetlight. Here is the FULL template I posted with exactly what each Strength, Weakness, and Specialty would do. REMEMBER VHL THIS IS A TEMPLATE, ONE THAT HAS GOTTEN VERY LITTLE SUPPORT IN THE BOG. I'M POSTING THIS PURELY TO FUEL DEBATE ON THE SUBJECT, NOT SHOW YOU WHAT WILL HAPPEN! :cheers:

Player Build Options

When creating a player you have the option of picking a pre set player build that will make progressing through your desired key attributes easier, at the cost of having lesser attributes harder to rank up. Skater player builds are divided into two categories, forwards and defenders. Choose the build that best benefits you based on your own personal plans for your player. All player builds get one strength, one specialty, and one weakness for you to choose from depending on their player build. 

Strengths: This is something your player excels in better than anything else. On top of having an easier update scale your one strength attribute only depreciates in your 7th and 8th seasons, as opposed to 6th, 7th, and 8th. The math for updating strengths is as follows - 40-80 (1 TPE per point) 80-90 (2 TPE per point) 90-99(3 TPE per point)

Specialty: Something your player picked up through training and has sense made a sticking point of their on ice identity. A specialty is easier to get to 99 and you start at 50 instead of 40 with this attribute. The math for updating a specialty is as follows - 50-70 (1 TPE per point) 70-80(2 TPE per point) 80-90(3 TPE per point) 90-99(3 TPE per point) 

Weakness: A weakness is something your player is never going to excel at. A weakness has a harsher updating scale and you can only get a weakness to a maximum of 90 overall. The math for updating a weakness is as follows - 40-60 (1 TPE per point) 60-70 (2 TPE per point) 70-80 (3 TPE per point) 80-90 (4 TPE per point)

Forward Builds

Sniper - Strengths (Scoring or Skating) Specialty (Puck Handling or Face-Offs) Weakness (Defense or Strength) 

Power Forward - Strengths (Checking or Strength) Specialty (Skating or Scoring) Weakness (Puck Handling or Passing) 

Defender Builds

Defensive Defensemen - Strengths (Checking or Defense) Specialty (Strength or Skating) Weakness (Scoring or Puck Handling)

Offensive Defensemen - Strengths (Scoring or Passing) Specialty (Defense or Puck Handling) Weakness (Strength or Checking)

This is just a beginning template, before I go all crazy and do an option for all types of forwards and defenders I'll let some feedback roll in. Obviously this is a work in progress too so the actual stats that could be strengths, weaknesses and specialty's is up for debate.

Anyway this is a formula that I think could work. It gives people serious options, and for people who earn anywhere from 300-700 TPE their player build options would be endless. There will be a lot of choice when creating a player this way, older members who maybe left due to lack of variety in their options with player build would be enticed to come check this out. And if someone doesn't like it? Cool, they don't have to subscribe to it they can stick with the current system. Keep in mind though that they would be losing out on the option to have stat ignore a season of depreciation and an easier update scale on two different attributes. Essentially removing the 4 TPE update scale from 90-99 on one attribute and lowering the update scale by a tier all together on the other. The benefit of course is they wouldn't be locked into having a single attribute penalized and could go in any direction they want. 

He just hates it cuz he tried to cheat the system and got caught.

How did I try to cheat the system? I added to my weakness and had no clue what that was all about. The Updater told me and I changed it. I didn't even make a fuss about it. JayTee just making shit up.

I'm with Kendrick. Fuck the SHL. 

Nope. That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying fuck the builds side of it. I wouldn't have stayed with a player for so long if I was under that mentality.

It's a slippery slope.

Next thing you know, VHL will be suspending members for 2 weeks because they disagree with BoD and, lord forbid, they use a CURSE WORD while voicing their displeasure.

Loooooooool still salty af. Forgot the part where the member being suspended wiped clean the league's budget and blazed dual middle fingers on the way out.

Has there been any efforts made to see what players look like if this change were to happen? At first glance, this just looks like another attribute acceleration deal. Like there aren't enough ways to get TPE already :)

Has there been any efforts made to see what players look like if this change were to happen? At first glance, this just looks like another attribute acceleration deal. Like there aren't enough ways to get TPE already :)

Bro you even SHL? VHL's TPE game is weak af compared to SHL.

This weakness/strength idea sounds horrible. i don't like at all, i would hate it a lot.

This makes me think, why tf SHL is so popular? based on all the things I hear in VHL about SHL, shl is pretty bad

Bolded: You think that maybe the source of information may be the reason why it seems that way?

I don't think it is any secret a lot of VHL's members do not like the SHL.