Edition 283

STZ

• Senior Admin
11 minutes ago, Molholt said:

I agree with Sterling. Blow up the league after 50 seasons and start over.

I suggested this in BOG once but I believe @Mr. Power and I were the only ones who really thought it would be cool :lol:

31 minutes ago, STZ said:

you runnin random.org?

Nah, I just pay them several thousand english pounds to make sure I get the results I want.

34 minutes ago, solas said:

Sadly, my more attacking 4-3-3 has been unsuccessful.  Maybe I should choose a fourth number and go with 4-2-3-1. :P

Seems like you need a more conservative approach, may I suggest a switch to a 5-3-2? 

6 hours ago, Draper said:

I suggested this in BOG once but I believe @Mr. Power and I were the only ones who really thought it would be cool :lol:

I still support it. Switching to a new engine if it makes sense and we can work out the kinks, and seeing what other more drastic changes we can do. People here really underestimate how much the whole "new" thing sells. It's a common tactic of the business world and it works for a reason. People who have left the site previously or been disinterested could see all these new things and decide to check it out again. People who haven't heard of it are more inclined to be interested too when you see 50+ seasons of history and then all these new things to go with it. 

That's easy to say, but if someone could even begin to come up with a plan that would make anything "new" or unique would be another thing.

And the V2 engine is basically rubbish and I don't know if I'd ever switch to it.

15 hours ago, evrydayimbyfuglien said:

I like the takeaways and giveaways. From a player standpoint, that's the only difference and it seems like a good one to me.

Yeah, that isn't the only difference at all.  If it was, we already would have made the switch.

7 hours ago, Advantage said:

Yeah, that isn't the only difference at all.  If it was, we already would have made the switch.

I realize that, I just haven't noticed a difference when all I do is look at stats after it's all simmed.

47 minutes ago, Victor said:

you would anyway. you would have shittier stats.

We still haven't done the required tinkering with various settings/variables including player attributes to get stats showing they can't be similar. Especially considering STHS is on a V3 and tons of other types of sim leagues use newer versions without silly busted stats.

• Senior Admin

'V3' STHS has no difference in the actual sim engines over V2, it's only called V3 because he wants to sell it on a subscription 'per year' basis. So now he says he's only doing future updates to V3 which is pretty greasy if you ask me but, alas, that is the french for you. No indication that there's an actual V3 engine coming out anytime soon. 

A new sim was actually never a big part of my thinking around the S50 thing. It would be nice to be able to use one of the newer engines with giveaways and whatnot, but I have doubts about the practicality of doing so. Obviously we haven't run a ton of in-depth tests, but even the STHS manual admits that the 2 newer engines don't produce 'realistic' results:

Version 2.0

Advantage:

• Always has the new simulation features.

Disadvantage:

• The results are not easy to reproduce, somehow “random”.
  • Top players stat will sometime behave like normal player stat.

Version 2.1

Advantage:

• Always has the new simulation features.
  • Top players stat will be like top player stat.

Disadvantage:

• Fairly new (September 2011) so the results are not proven to be realistic yet.
  • Top players stat difference versus the rest of player’s stat can be impressive.

I think the fact that he hasn't updated that bolded line under Version 2.1 yet says a lot :P