Skylar Rift Retires

Devise

Not really much of a shocker, although it may be to some. I've been going over it in my head for a long while now. For those that do not know, I hate playing a goalie. I created a goalie as a then GM of NY and decided I'd ride it out for a few seasons just to see if it got any better. It didn't, I don't like playing the position in the VHL at all. Just not for me and how I like to experiment with player builds etc.

I was going to retire much earlier than this until Rift started winning. Two Continental Cups, Rookie of the Year, a Kanou and a Shaw. I figured that the Hall of Fame was so hard to get into why potentially throw away a player who at this current point has a shot. A part of me still feels that way. But enjoyment of this league is the whole point, and on top of the fact that I will enjoy the next player I create far more, I also enjoy seeing some shake ups in the league. Sucks to basically ensure he'll never have a shot at HoF but it is what it is. 

Hopefully Koradek and the Quebec boys don't feel like I am screwing them over. They got three full seasons with me, a Cup win and a good shot at another one this season. Anyway interesting experience with Rift and I look forward to remaining active and having more fun with my next player. 

Regardless of what this means, great career and props to you for sticking it out with a goalie. I know first hand it can be a real struggle to get excited about being one season to season. Good Luck in the future and nicely done with Rift!

Thanks for the nice rivalry

Loved my rivalry with both you and Labatte. Always ended up playing goalie battle games against each other. Looking forward to seeing the closing chapters on it this season. 

Not much can shock me, but this did. Great career regardless of if it was only 6 seasons.

It's strange that a six-season career would seem short. I feel like we used to see shorter careers from star players more often than we do now.

• Admin

Well shit. Not even at the trade deadline. Rift will go down in history as the guy you should never rely on to be your franchise goalie in the long term.

Welp. On the next plane to...

:que:

They'd need to get some draft picks first.

Well shit. Not even at the trade deadline. Rift will go down in history as the guy you should never rely on to be your franchise goalie in the long term.

thiiiisssss like I guess Rift had no sense of loyalty to any of the teams he was on or something

thiiiisssss like I guess Rift had no sense of loyalty to any of the teams he was on or something

I spent one season with NY, one season with Calgary, and then 3 seasons with Quebec. I was GM of NY who stepped down and had to get traded. The only team I didn't have any loyalty too was Calgary. I've been perfectly loyal to Quebec. I've made it no secret to anyone that I didn't like the position and the assumption was that I was going to retire early at some point. Considering the reaction from Koradek, it doesn't come across like he thinks he was screwed. Not to mention he got me for free in free agency, and you know...won at least won Cup out of it already, if not another this season. So yeah, no loyalty at all. :P 

good news IMO. Devise will bring another strong fwd in I'm guessing.

Maybe being a goaltender does best lend itself to people who have GM positions - keep occupied/entertained with other tasks/responsibilities, whereas being a goalie with no responsibility is just: point tasks and watch your SV% vacillate between 92-93% when you get as good as Rift / Tukio.

Anyhow, I know I gave you a bunch of shit leaving CGY, but best of luck.

Quebec will get Chekhov or Tukio next season.

Horrible career, you should have retired 3 seasons ago. What were you thinking when you made this guys?

But in all honesty, great career, would have been among the greats if you stuck through it. Good luck with your next guy and hopefully you have more fun with a change of position. Fuck Quebec