VHL Suggestion Drive

Beketov

3 minutes ago, KGR said:

I am just responding to what you said. Why make it more than what it has to be?

I'm not, you responded passive aggressively just for the sake of it. It's a discussion, no need for the douchey comment.

Just now, Kendrick said:

I'm not, you responded passive aggressively just for the sake of it. It's a discussion, no need for the douchey comment.

There was no "douchey" comment. Just a regular response to what you said. Again, let's not make it more than what it was.

Call me a hypocrite because I can't think of any ideas outside of ones in other leagues, but one thing I have always found frustrating with this league is the lack of opportunities to earn TPE. From what I can tell the only weekly opportunities are:

• Media/Graphic/Podcast/Welfare
  • VHL.com Article/Podcast
  • Job Pay

And the VHLM practice facility is offered to VHLM players as well.

There isn't enough variety. You have 3 tasks to do each week, potentially just 1, if you don't have a job, or got advanced pay from an article or graphic. While I like the concept of being able to write one giant article for 4 weeks pay, that just decreases activity even more. If we had more activity here, I would be all for it, but I really don't think we can afford to allow people to write one article a month, for full points. I have no idea how many people exercise this option, but if just 5 people do, that is 5 articles in one month, rather then 20, must they produce one each week. 

Another problem with the lack of variety comes with no way to earn max points in a given week, for some members (specifically newer members). If you don't have a job, which I'm sure is a decent amount of the members here (again, having just come back, I have no idea how many), it is impossible to earn 9/9 capped TPE. IF you do a PT for 6, and a podcast for 2, that gives you 8 capped TPE. Not to mention the fact that a lot of people don't like to record themselves, and as such, will avoid doing podcasts. Thus, you have members without a job getting a max of 7/8 capped TPE. 

I think adding a couple more weekly tasks that give you 1-2 capped TPE, could generate a lot more activity, as everyone will be able to earn the max of 9 capped TPE in any given week. People that claim welfare (whether it is 2, 3, or 4), will also be able to make more in a week, and I've noticed we have nearly 20 members on welfare. Maybe if those members on welfare could do a couple more smaller tasks each week, they would get more engaged in the site.

We need more tasks that give the people something to do. Having potentially just one task (which is either a 150 word article, or a short podcast), isn't enough to make people want to check in everyday.

This is a bit of a mess, and it might have been brought up before, but again, I just got back, so sue me. 

3 minutes ago, philthethrill81 said:

Call me a hypocrite because I can't think of any ideas outside of ones in other leagues, but one thing I have always found frustrating with this league is the lack of opportunities to earn TPE. From what I can tell the only weekly opportunities are:

• Job Pay

There isn't enough variety. You have 3 tasks to do each week, potentially just 1, if you don't have a job, or got advanced pay from an article or graphic. While I like the concept of being able to write one giant article for 4 weeks pay, that just decreases activity even more. If we had more activity here, I would be all for it, but I really don't think we can afford to allow people to write one article a month, for full points. I have no idea how many people exercise this option, but if just 5 people do, that is 5 articles in one month, rather then 20, must they produce one each week. 

Another problem with the lack of variety comes with no way to earn max points in a given week, for some members (specifically newer members). If you don't have a job, which I'm sure is a decent amount of the members here (again, having just come back, I have no idea how many), it is impossible to earn 9/9 capped TPE. IF you do a PT for 6, and a podcast for 2, that gives you 8 capped TPE. Not to mention the fact that a lot of people don't like to record themselves, and as such, will avoid doing podcasts. Thus, you have members without a job getting a max of 7/8 capped TPE. 

I think adding a couple more weekly tasks that give you 1-2 capped TPE, could generate a lot more activity, as everyone will be able to earn the max of 9 capped TPE in any given week. People that claim welfare (whether it is 2, 3, or 4), will also be able to make more in a week, and I've noticed we have nearly 20 members on welfare. Maybe if those members on welfare could do a couple more smaller tasks each week, they would get more engaged in the site.

We need more tasks that give the people something to do. Having potentially just one task (which is either a 150 word article, or a short podcast), isn't enough to make people want to check in everyday.

This is a bit of a mess, and it might have been brought up before, but again, I just got back, so sue me. 

2 hours ago, KGR said:

-Bring back buy TPE from the store

Maybe make the prices higher than what they were before so we do not see so much inflation. We could have it something like:

$2M = 5 TPE

$5M = 10 TPE

$10M = 20 TPE

Bringing this together and we'll have another suggestion - extra media for money.

Oh I'd like to also add, at not claiming because I did 5 but

Make it so that your VHLM seasons don't count towards your career years. Say someone doesn't hit the 200 required to be called up. Say they get like 170 and want to stay down to get the extra 10-20 TPE from the achievement tracker, make it so that year doesn't count towards their eight season career.

11 minutes ago, philthethrill81 said:

• Job Pay

I've said this variety thing over and over. In fact, it was my last media spot I think,  lol. 

7 hours ago, Beketov said:

Could definitely be fun. Like I said it would just require a crew of a few people interested in doing it that Jardy could give the files to in advance. He’d have to work the logistics out with them of course but it could be something fun to have every once in awhile.

:ph34r:

The site needs to have a "How to play the game" help thread with an introductory post explaining the game in detail and comprehensive instructions on where to start off on the forum and how to begin playing the game. Also having instructions on how to perform the tasks to be completed ie. how to copy and paste, how to earn tpe for practice facility etc. As it is, the help threads for everything are all over the forum. They should be amalgamated into one easy to find/read section.

I've had a few interested in joining here, but they all pretty much said the same thing...the sites confusing and they're lost as to how things work around the forums.

Drink Beer.

• Senior Admin
7 hours ago, Exlaxchronicles said:

The site needs to have a "How to play the game" help thread with an introductory post explaining the game in detail and comprehensive instructions on where to start off on the forum and how to begin playing the game. Also having instructions on how to perform the tasks to be completed ie. how to copy and paste, how to earn tpe for practice facility etc. As it is, the help threads for everything are all over the forum. They should be amalgamated into one easy to find/read section.

I've had a few interested in joining here, but they all pretty much said the same thing...the sites confusing and they're lost as to how things work around the forums.

Drink Beer.

We do have these: http://www.vhlforum.com/forum/251-new-member-guide/

They could use some updating though

2 hours ago, Will said:

We do have these: http://www.vhlforum.com/forum/251-new-member-guide/

They could use some updating though

I agree that it needs updating. Its also not visible enough. Maybe just change the "Create A Player" title to something like " How To Start/Play The Game" And it doesn't stand out enough for guests to entice them to join. I even forgot the help files were hidden within the create a player thread.

18 hours ago, KGR said:

-Player Archetypes

I mean think about it. You get 2 strengths which can go to a max of 99, all other attributes max out at 95 and then 2 weaknesses which max out at 85. Would make for things to be interesting and keep it so not everything is 99 all across the board. I know I suggested it before but it would be awesome to see things like how the SHL has it planned out. Like one as a playmaker or a sniper, etc. Also NHL games have it like that when you play like clubs or drop in games. You pick your archetype and you are better in different aspects of the game and weaker in others.

-GM's get paid

I think it's well past being overdue for GM's to get paid for what they do. I get the VHLM GM's were in place to get paid to help keep their newbies active and such but why not pay the big boys for all they do?

-Keep the VHLM (Pt 1 of 2)

Keep the VHLM intact for first gens only. Drop it down to like 2 teams that way it's an either or scenario of which team they land on. Give the first gens a starting TPE of 50 so that they can get a chance to play better than the starting build of 30 TPE. This gives the first gens a better shot at actually sticking around and enjoying the league as they could have a better build and this is just them dipping their toes in the water before going up to the VHL and actually playing for a pro team.

-Fix carryover (Pt 2 of 2)

For those who are dealing with carryover and not wanting to play in the VHLM, how about awarding them with 100 TPE and placing them on a waiver system so that they can play out the year (or half a year) on a regular team. It would go based off a waiver system kept up to date with the worst to best record and then whoever claims, moves to the bottom of the list. This would make it for those who actually want to skip the VHLM altogether. Also make an option if a member does have carry over and they want to play in the VHLM, they could do so but the bottom line carryover would still be that of 50 just like a first gen. This way it levels the playing field. Someone wanting to go to the VHLM would benefit from the extra 1 TPE from the practice facility and they would have access to the VHLM fantasy zone for the extra TPE.

-Bring back buy TPE from the store

Maybe make the prices higher than what they were before so we do not see so much inflation. We could have it something like:

$2M = 5 TPE

$5M = 10 TPE

$10M = 20 TPE

This way people would actually want to spend their money on something. As for the prices, those are just examples and obviously up to the blue team and BOG to come together and set a reasonable price.

1. Player archetypes are ok, I think a harsher update scale is just as effective and leaves less unused points. You'd also have to have a set skills that are (un)capped with the archetype builds, or else everyone would just use PS and Fighting as their weaknesses. TBH I'm not a fan of capping skills, if people earn the TPE to max out their attributes, all the power to them.

2. GMs should definitely be a paid job, especially now when nobody is stepping up to take the job.

3. Playing the same team 20 times is already a lot, playing only the same team for a full season is overkill. I think giving all players 100 TPE to start as a waiver pickup and then get drafted is probably a better solution to the 2-team VHLM. It's got it's own issues, like scrubs facing the superstars, but it's better than the monotony of playing the same team 2-4 times a day, every day...

4. See above. But the waiver order changing by pickup vs. staying based on the standings at the time is my sticking point. If the worst team in the league wants to claim all the waiver pickups, I'm fine with that, since realistically they won't be real good anyways, at least they'll get ice-time with the bottom feeders. I'd say use the previous standings for the first week of sims, then move to the current season's standings. Plus, if it is a good member who will be going 1st overall, it'd maybe help activity for the teams with no actual roster players

5. Agree.

There is already an opportunity to earn 9 capped per week through grading. Grading is a league-wide job now, so anybody is allowed to earn up to 2 capped per week from grading. Just read 8 media spots for 2 TPE per week, or critique 8 graphics if you know your graphic stuff. There's also podcasts you can listen to, where listening to 2 podcasts from that section will give you 1 TPE, rather than 4 media spots for 1 TPE. Biographies give you the same as podcasts too.

We need more people grading though, and as the Head guy, obviously I'm going to be biased there. :P

PT = 6 TPE

VHL.com = 1 TPE

Grading = 2 TPE

Or even, if you do your PT Upgrade from the Player Store, all you have to do is a PT and grade and you're good to go.

Suggestions/ Ideas.

1. Raise the Starting TPE:

I think we need to increase the starting TPE from 30 to 50-100. The increase would make players have more variance at the beginning of their characters it could increase attachment to there player. Because of this raise it would make the VHLM pretty useless so that's where my second idea comes into play.

2. Eliminate the VHLM:

The VHLM is a lovely place it has different teams contending every year because of how the league currently works. The bad thing about it though is that it feels to far away from the big leagues. To some people like me that was a driving factor but for new people they are impatient for the long grind to get there. After your drafted as well it can be depressing because alot of the time your going to be one of the lesser players in the league. For example my player (Keaton Louth) was drafted 4th overall and was leading the VHLM in points for the majority of the season in my draft year. When I finally made it it was a big ego check since I didn't even make top 50 in points while being on the 2nd best team in the league. Just an Idea that will get torn apart as soon as this is posted but as a commissioner I believe just having the VHL would be best for the league.

3. Enhanced Website:

Having a better more interactive website would do alot for attracting new members and or younger members. This site seems like just a forum where to most people that want to play a sim league they want it to be more interactive. The forum feel of the website should be the internals of the website not the front page. Their used to be a portal to something similar to this but it should be inputted into the face of the VHL not just a back page.

4. Better Player Creation:

Player Creation could be improved a ton having a text part to fill out is kind of amateur looking it should be a page where you can adjust your stats with a plus and minus button to the sides of the stat line with a header and maybe ever a facial creator to go along with it. With just these creation changes I could see people sticking around alot longer. Another thing ill mention with this is an email reminder a couple days after character creation to remind them to come back to the site. When I first joined I lost the website and had to go looking for it again got bored and then found it again a couple months later.

5. Random TPE Event's:

Doing weekly(now monthly) gets stale pretty quickly especially when you have to figure out something original every week. Their needs to be monthly subject bonus TPE events. The event now about the Dispersal draft is kind of what im talking about have something like that regularly and not randomly. Would make activity spike more aswell as have more things to read and or write about weekly.

Hope people like these ideas if theirs anything wrong please let me know and please give your thoughts on them.

I heard this on discord, but is there a way to change what shows up on the VHL's google search result? Someone said they googled "Victory Hockey League" and the first thing they see is...

VHL Donations. Click on the button to donate money to the VHL $5 will get you a free week, $10 will get you a double's week, $15 will get you 5 TPE uncapped and $20 will get you an extra reward (of the three previous) of your choice. Rewards are available once per season.

They said it put them off a little as the first thing they see is a donations reference. I don't know....just telling you from a prospective members perspective.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, UZI™ said:

I heard this on discord, but is there a way to change what shows up on the VHL's google search result? Someone said they googled "Victory Hockey League" and the first thing they see is...

They said it put them off a little as the first thing they see is a donations reference. I don't know....just telling you from a prospective members perspective.

This appears to actually be the case, not sure why. We will definitely look into it. Thanks for bringing this up.

1 hour ago, Beketov said:

This appears to actually be the case, not sure why. We will definitely look into it. Thanks for bringing this up.

Thats definatly a deterrent with the recent EA hate every one is hating pay to win.

Make the second round of the draft purely off standings - Playoffs and lotto should have no impact on the second round of the draft just like real life. Worst to best picks in order, especially now with no conferences.

Make more team related TPE tasks - TPE is down as a whole in the league with zero players over 1,000 and only one player even close to that. TPE average is around 350 which is pathetic.

Start giving out uncapped TPE to do some jobs that aren't getting done - Player store sheet update for 5 TPE uncapped, Do a HOF article 5 TPE uncapped. Any job that isn't getting done throw some uncapped at it. It's more important that all jobs get done than it is to have the league looking half ass done. And I'm getting sick of doing multiple jobs for free, lol

Make welfare like the other two big leagues - Give out points for PT's posted in other leagues, maybe not the six TPE the other leagues do but at least do 4 or 5. I don't know how many people this would bring to the league. Multiple EFL people told me they would be here if this was implemented but they don't have time for another 2 PT's a week.

2 player system - I know the two player system is gone, it seems that GMs can still make 2 players. Make it that both GM players go to their team, it gives the GM something to work with and gives them incentive to make the team good quickly or his players careers suffer

Change 590's to 2 TPE, for the amount of work they are that would be fair pay

On 18.12.2017 at 7:35 PM, Bushito said:

2 player system - I know the two player system is gone, it seems that GMs can still make 2 players. Make it that both GM players go to their team, it gives the GM something to work with and gives them incentive to make the team good quickly or his players careers suffer

@STZ also made this suggestion earlier. I was against it, but it makes sense if you want have an easier time with GM'ing team. 

• Senior Admin
On 12/18/2017 at 1:35 PM, Bushito said:

I would have preferred this as well, but there were some good points made against it. For example, with us not really having a ton of GM candidates lately, having the option for willing people to simply create a GM player and not having to mess with their current player is helpful to have.