Jerry Garcia Press Conference (For both GM and Player Questions!)

Gustav

Ask me anything! Honestly, I'm making this thread for fun, not TPE, so there's no such thing as too many questions here. 

You're either very or not at all familiar with me at this point (not sure which group most league members are in) so let's get some press for Jerry!

...By the way, you're welcome to tag me if you really want to make sure I notice your post. I understand some people get annoyed by being tagged but I'm not one of them.

EDIT: This is now the official thread for Jerry Garcia the GM as well as Jerry Garcia the player! Whether you'd like to know about the defenseman or the manager, ask away!

Edited by GustavMattias

1. Are you that guy from the thing?

2. Happy on how the regular season went?

3. Is Houston going to make it into the finals?

4. Planning on playing one more year in VHLM or coming up next year?

5. Who is the loudest person inside Houston Bulls locker-room?

6. Thoughts on Team Asia´s WJC tournament?

7. Any teams in VHL that you hope will have you ranked high on their draft papers?

8. You had 154 penalty minutes in the regular season, worried if that will have a effect on when you will be drafted?

9. What would you say to those who question big hits and extremely physical players in general?

10. Any players in VHLM or VHL who you would say is your rival?

21 hours ago, jRuutu said:

No I am not the guy from the thing :(

OTT had a good start of the season, but since the TDL, we fell off a lot.

I hope not because Lynch is over there I think ;)

I am planning to stay one more year in the VHLM to gain more experience and try to win a cup in OTT hopefully.

5. Any teams in VHL that you hope will have you ranked high on their draft papers?

I would love the new expansion team to draft me since they are new and I am new lol

6. Any players in VHLM or VHL who you would say is your rival?

Idk but I always thought C.Past was my rival. Maybe because he is always ranked 2 higher then me.

On 4/12/2019 at 2:23 PM, jRuutu said:

Yes. You remember that thing.

I'd say so. Houston made the playoffs so at this point that's all that matters.

As of right now, we're down 3-2 but it's still anyone's series. Another win makes it tied and at that point it's anyone's game. We've got a good chance.

I've maxed out in TPE and can't wait for the VHL! 

I'd likely say Ludvig Sederstrom (@aleks). He's always ready and waiting to stir the pot, which to me is a good thing. Shows he wants to create a true team atmosphere.

I'm proud of my team for hanging in there against Canada and even winning one against Europe, the eventual champions. Asia wasn't expected to be a competitor coming in, but we at least got some notice for our prospects.

7. Any teams in VHL that you hope will have you ranked high on their draft papers?

Playing for an expansion team would be interesting--I'm on a minor-league expansion team and now I'm the GM of one. Helsinki also seems interesting. At the end of the day, though, my favorite VHL team, by far, will be the one that drafts me. I can't wait to be in the big leagues.

8. You had 154 penalty minutes in the regular season, worried if that will have a effect on when you will be drafted?

To be honest? I don't care when I'll be drafted. I know I'll be drafted somewhere, and my placement in the draft won't affect my future prospects in any way. If a GM thinks I take too many penalties, they're probably right they have every right to that opinion, and if that is a deal-breaker to them, then they have every right to that opinion as well. 

9. What would you say to those who question big hits and extremely physical players in general?

It's part of the game, man. It's old-school hockey. I know I had a lot of blocked shots this season but taking someone out of the play with your body is more effective any day than trying to block their shot. 

Players? I wouldn't say so. Right now, I'm in a bit of a fight for supremacy with Charlie Paddywagon as we both try to present ourselves as "league's best defenseman." But I love Paddywagon and hold nothing against him, and if he's even aware that I consider his (admirable) activity somewhat of a motivation to do better, I'm sure he'd say the same about me. We've talked a few times and he's a good person. 

As far as teams go, watch out this coming season as the Mississauga Hounds may or may not have a few things to say about Houston...

I am not that guy from the thing

Im neutral on it. could've had better opportunities thats for sure

no

BIG no

probably jerry garcia, hes always talking about mississauga for some reason.

they have a team?

Malmo or Vancouver

I did not

They should try and take a big hit, we'll see if they have the breath to speak afterwards 

I'd say joakim but hes bad

1) Scale of 1-10 how would you rate your 1st season overall.

2) The VHL draft is approaching, where do you hope to end up?

3) Are you glad that you chose to be a defenseman? 

4) If you had to choose a position to change to what would you choose, why?

5) What is the last team you hope to be drafted by in the upcoming VHL draft?

6) Is there anyone in particular that you would like to be on a team with or on a line with from the VHL or VHLM?

7) What are your goals for your 1st season in the VHL?

8 ) What are your career goals in the VHL as a defenseman?

9) How many seasons do you foresee yourself playing before you consider retirement?

10) Personal success or team/organizational success?

11) There's a player in your locker room that is being a pain in the ass and causing problems, as a fellow teammate what do you do and what do you consider your role in a situation like this?

12) Do you see yourself sticking around the league long enough to the point that you'll be recreating? If so, what player do you think you'll try next?

1. What two other S66 draftees would you like to see on your future VHL team?

2. What are your goals for Mississauga next season? Do you see yourself staying active & as its GM for five seasons?

3. What song do you use to pump yourself up before a game?

4. What song's your guilty pleasure? No softball answers!

5. What steps are you taking to set the pace in Mississauga's locker room next season?

6. Favorite Ben & Jerry's flavor? (sorry, I had to)

On 4/26/2019 at 6:16 PM, RunnerBert11 said:

1) Scale of 1-10 how would you rate your 1st season overall.

In the interest of not being too cliche and saying 11, I'll go with a 10.9 here. I loved every minute of it; we just never won that cup.

2) The VHL draft is approaching, where do you hope to end up?

Being picked by an expansion team would be really interesting. All I've ever known in this league is expansion teams. But really, whoever picks me will be my favorite. No matter who it is I can't wait.

3) Are you glad that you chose to be a defenseman? 

Absolutely! There are stats other than just points for skaters. Watching both my hits and blocked shots pile up like nobody's business was quite fun, and it was a pleasant surprise when I scored rather than an unpleasant one when I didn't. 

4) If you had to choose a position to change to what would you choose, why?

I'd be a forward. Goaltending is quite competitive here and forward building gives you more options. 

5) What is the last team you hope to be drafted by in the upcoming VHL draft?

I don't have any personal reason to avoid any team--I just hope wherever I go isn't completely saturated with defensemen. I'd like my ice time. 

6) Is there anyone in particular that you would like to be on a team with or on a line with from the VHL or VHLM?

@FacebookFighter has mentioned some interest in playing with me and I like that idea. Playing with @Radcow, my AGM in Mississauga, would also be pretty nice. Bert Meyers seems like a decent guy too, I wouldn't mind feeding him the puck. 

7) What are your goals for your 1st season in the VHL?

I understand I won't be a star in my first season, so I'd just like to be able to say that my name is recognized around the league.

8 ) What are your career goals in the VHL as a defenseman?

I'd like to change the common mentality here that every skater has to be a goal-scorer. Even defensemen here aren't built to be defensemen--scoring is commonly above defense for lots of them. Hopefully, I can influence someone to try to build a player like Jerry. 

9) How many seasons do you foresee yourself playing before you consider retirement?

I'm not too familiar with how depreciation works here, so we'll see just how much I suck in my later years and I'll decide at that point. 

10) Personal success or team/organizational success?

At the risk of being labeled a filthy Communist, team success all the way! That's what being a defensive defenseman is all about--sacrificing your line on the scoresheet to contribute immeasurably to your team. 

11) There's a player in your locker room that is being a pain in the ass and causing problems, as a fellow teammate what do you do and what do you consider your role in a situation like this?

I'd definitely step in. It really only takes one bad teammate to ruin the VHL experience, and that one bad teammate can ruin an entire team's atmosphere in the locker room. Being good off the ice is just as important as being good on it.

12) Do you see yourself sticking around the league long enough to the point that you'll be recreating? If so, what player do you think you'll try next?

Hopefully I do stick around, and I don't see myself leaving anytime soon. I've actually thought up a WONDERFUL idea for a player that's a bit of an inside joke among Sabres fans, but I won't give away too much at the moment.

On 4/26/2019 at 8:18 PM, Renomitsu said:

1. What two other S66 draftees would you like to see on your future VHL team?

See above--I'm going to have to go with Owen May and Beau Buefordsson.

2. What are your goals for Mississauga next season? Do you see yourself staying active & as its GM for five seasons?

I'm playing to win! This is partly because I want to win, and partly because I feel like if I didn't win, both myself and the commissioners would face a good deal of criticism from people who think I'm too new for the job and don't think I deserved to be hired. As far as the future goes, I can't see any point in my career when I wouldn't want to GM. It's been a lot of fun lately and I like getting the new guys interested and involved.

3. What song do you use to pump yourself up before a game?

I tried to think of a song by the Dead here, but the fact of the matter is that there really isn't anything they've written in the vein of intense pump-up music. In fact, I wouldn't say I listen to a great deal in that vein. About the heaviest I get is this 24-minute masterpiece, one of my favorite songs of all time off an album that I don't otherwise care for.

4. What song's your guilty pleasure? No softball answers!

More like an album--check out Zonkey by Umphrey's McGee. Usually, I don't care for covers (and in fact, I'd go so far as to say that in most cases, I particularly don't care for covers) and I also don't really care for most mainstream music, but the way everything is thrown together in songs like this is just something I really love, half ironically, half unironically. 

5. What steps are you taking to set the pace in Mississauga's locker room next season?

The #1 step to ensuring that your players are doing what they need to do to succeed is to make sure that they know what to do in the first place. I've posted everything I know about TPE-earning at the moment, and I'll update every time something new comes up. I've also brought in Callum MacElroy, my old Bulls teammate, as well as draftees Rayz Funk and Hulk Hogan, all of whom I know are highly active on Discord. I believe that having a great locker room atmosphere will help me make something out of not much, as keeping our players active in the locker room will translate to success in league matchups as well. 

6. Favorite Ben & Jerry's flavor? (sorry, I had to)

You know what? Cherry Garcia is OK. I don't hate it. But I'm going to have to go with either Vanilla Caramel Fudge or Milk & Cookies. Anyone who doesn't love those is out of their mind. 

Tagging @Renomitsu simply because I haven't lately.

• 2 months later...

@GustavMattias 

1. What was your favorite shitposting article to write?

2. Who do you think is the best at "Drink the Beer"?

3. Any specific S68 draftees you want on Malmo?

4. Thoughts on me basically agreeing to sign with Mississauga when I re-create?

5. Predict your statline for your best career season

6. You are a Sabres fan I think. What do you think of the Skinner extension, and do you think they can win the cup with Eichel? 

7. Will the Sabres trade Ristolainen? 

8. Do you like toppings on pizza? If so which topping?

9. Favorite fortnite dance?

10. Any sports that aren't popular, but you enjoy?

11. What is your least favorite VHL team?

12. Are you in other sim leagues?

7 minutes ago, Matt_O said:

1. What was your favorite shitposting article to write?

Honestly? I have no idea. I love writing these things, no matter what they're about. I guess as a matter of general principle, I'm going to have to go with the entire collection of articles I've written about Halifax and their satanic adventures. It's what got me into writing here in the first place. The highest-effort shitposts I've written have been fairly recent, too--check out the article I wrote about Halifax's new logo, or my most recent media spot on the Gustav Effect

My favorite article, though, is one that I don't think I'll ever surpass in terms of pure accuracy: Gustav's Mock Draft, where I somehow managed to predict over 40% of all draft choices made in the first four rounds of S66. I'll never be that lucky again.

18 minutes ago, Matt_O said:

2. Who do you think is the best at "Drink the Beer"?

Nobody can top Callum MacElroy, but since he's not on our team I'm going to have to go with Shackleford. He's pretty good, though I'd bet MORPHEUS could beat him if he understood the game.

19 minutes ago, Matt_O said:

3. Any specific S68 draftees you want on Malmo?

I'd love to pick up some of my guys--Jeff Downey and Jaxon Walker look like good prospects right out of the gate, and I'm looking forward to seeing where they go.

20 minutes ago, Matt_O said:

4. Thoughts on me basically agreeing to sign with Mississauga when I re-create?

Sign with us. Do it.

21 minutes ago, Matt_O said:

5. Predict your statline for your best career season

14 goals, 61 assists. 142 blocked shots, 177 hits, and a +/- in the 20s. Sadly, I think my defensive numbers won't be the league's greatest when I'm in my prime, but that's because we'll be a great team by then.

22 minutes ago, Matt_O said:

6. You are a Sabres fan I think. What do you think of the Skinner extension, and do you think they can win the cup with Eichel? 

Signing Skinner was a good move, but it's going to take a lot more than what they have now to win a cup. There's a long road there, but with the right moves and a bit of luck it's within reach.

23 minutes ago, Matt_O said:

7. Will the Sabres trade Ristolainen?

I hope so. I used to love the guy, now I think he's worthless. If they don't trade him, I hope he can at least return to where he was a couple seasons ago.

24 minutes ago, Matt_O said:

8. Do you like toppings on pizza? If so which topping?

I'm conflicted here--I love toppings, and I think having the right combination of flavors can make a good pizza great. Pepperoni is a must-have. Black olives, mushrooms, sausage, you know the deal. Can't go overboard, though--it's still a pizza. I'd say any more than two tends to get in the way.

26 minutes ago, Matt_O said:

9. Favorite fortnite dance?

Fortnite bad

27 minutes ago, Matt_O said:

10. Any sports that aren't popular, but you enjoy?

Check out Florentine football when you get the chance. I have no idea what's going on, and that seems to be the point.

29 minutes ago, Matt_O said:

11. What is your least favorite VHL team?

I will say that I have my opinions, but I won't name anybody here. I don't want to potentially alienate myself or other members.

29 minutes ago, Matt_O said:

12. Are you in other sim leagues?

I'm a very quiet borderline-inactive welfare member of the SBA and EFL. I joined for the affiliate checks but haven't been able to make myself get into either.

To GM @GustavMattias

1. What is the most important factor you look for when choosing a draft pick?

2. What kind of rituals and traditions has Mississauga created in their short existence?

3. Who is your pick to win the Memorial Cup? 

4. Who has been the best player on the Hounds so far in Season 67?

5. What city would you most want to see a new team in?

6. What VHLMer on another team would you most want to have on Mississauga?

To Jerry Garcia:

7. What are your opinions on MORPHEUS DESTRUCTOUS being on Malmo?

8. Do you think you will be able to maintain your place as the VHL's leading shot blocker?

9. If you could make an official ice cream flavor for Malmo, what would it be?

10. What is your ultimate goal as a VHL player? Winning the cup? Gold medal in the World Cup? Or something else?

On 7/22/2019 at 1:40 AM, K1NG LINUS said:

1. What is the most important factor you look for when choosing a draft pick?

I want someone who's active and earning. If someone is 199 TPE and inactive, sure, they'll help my team more than anyone else, and probably for more than one season. That doesn't send the right message, though--I want my team to have a good time, and being stuck behind someone who doesn't even know they're doing well isn't the way to accomplish that.

2. What kind of rituals and traditions has Mississauga created in their short existence?

A few, actually...

-If someone on the Hounds takes a management role elsewhere, or if they step down from a Hounds management role, they're given the role of "Traitorous Filth" in our locker room.

-The entire team, myself included, worships @Esso2264 and spams a Drunk Bird emoji that I made, for reasons unknown to any of us.

-Our players are well-known for dabbing (or maybe it's just @Radcow).

-We also happen to worship (and mourn the current nonexistence of) THE HOUND, our original computer-generated backup goalie.

3. Who is your pick to win the Memorial Cup? 

I actually know nothing about the Canadian Hockey league, so I'll have to buy a drunk monkey and have it throw a dart at a map for that one.

...and if you mean the Founders Cup, Philly has the deep roster and all the 200-TPE players, but to make things interesting I'm going to say Yukon wins it all.

4. Who has been the best player on the Hounds so far in Season 67?

I'm going to go with Jeff Downey. Great guy to have around in the locker room and he's got a decent build going. I'm optimistic about a few other promising new guys, but Downey has taken the cake so far.

5. What city would you most want to see a new team in?

I would love--love--to see a team called the Nuuk Nukes, based in Nuuk, Greenland. I've pushed for this quite a few times, although I doubt it will ever seriously happen.

6. What VHLMer on another team would you most want to have on Mississauga?

I've got a couple guys in mind, but revealing them here, publicly, may be giving a bit too much away. A few old teammates, and a few guys who aren't old teammates but who I've gotten to know well enough regardless. We're not going to win this season, so I'd love to bring in some guys who I know will be good for our locker room.

7. What are your opinions on MORPHEUS DESTRUCTOUS being on Malmo?

As long as it's someone else's bones being crushed and not mine, I'm happy.

8. Do you think you will be able to maintain your place as the VHL's leading shot blocker?

Checks to see if I'm still at the top Probably not, but I see myself being close when the season ends. I'm developing nicely and maybe I'll be up at #1 at some point in the future.

9. If you could make an official ice cream flavor for Malmo, what would it be?

I thought Cherry Garcia was already our official ice cream flavor.

10. What is your ultimate goal as a VHL player? Winning the cup? Gold medal in the World Cup? Or something else?

I want to win a few individual awards for defensemen. I think getting "best defenseman" in some season would be an honor certainly worthy of satisfaction.

Thanks for the questions!

• 1 month later...

@GustavMattias (To the GM)

1. You have several early picks for S68 (2 1st round picks). Any particular plan for the Hounds?
2. What about S69? Are you gearing up for that particular season (2 1st, 3 2nd, 2 3rd...)?
3. Are you happy with the return you got for Jeff Downey?
4. Who will you be the hardest player to let go of at the upcoming VHLM dispersal draft?
5. Were you surprised to see the Reapers eliminated in 5 games (vs Minnesota) in the semi-finals?
6. Can you explain the reasoning behind #fixthelottery for those of us out of the loop?
7. Can you estimate the date we'll reach 1000?
8. What are your impressions on the draft class this season?
9. Are you optimistic towards the acquisition of Jokiharju by the Sabres?
10. If Mississauga was a car, what brand/model would it be?

On 8/28/2019 at 11:42 AM, PotatoKing said:

1. You have several early picks for S68 (2 1st round picks). Any particular plan for the Hounds?

Just be good! It looks like it's going to be crowded at the top, so I'd like to go far in the playoffs and make it clear that we deserve respect.

As for the draft, I plan extensively beforehand, but during the actual draft I just take it however I feel like taking it, as I've got at least something about every player memorized by that point.

2. What about S69? Are you gearing up for that particular season (2 1st, 3 2nd, 2 3rd...)?

Absolutely, that too! Unfortunately, it had to be the product of tanking this past season, but I'm excited for the future.

3. Are you happy with the return you got for Jeff Downey?

I am--originally I offered him for a 1st and 4th, but when @FrostBeard offered me 1st and 6th, I was happy to take it. Really, I was just going for anything that started with a first-rounder, and I knew that, as a Houston alum, I'd be sending him to a team who I wanted to see succeed.

4. Who will you be the hardest player to let go of at the upcoming VHLM dispersal draft?

No comment here, not because I don't have anything in mind but because I may or may not give something away here.

5. Were you surprised to see the Reapers eliminated in 5 games (vs Minnesota) in the semi-finals?

Yes and no. The Reapers were the cup favorites, and if you told me to pick a team that would win, that's what I would have said. But--STHS is weird. Stranger things have happened, and the playoffs are especially weird.

6. Can you explain the reasoning behind #fixthelottery for those of us out of the loop?

I could write it all out, but: here's my original post on the matter, and here's a subsequent voting thread (read the comments, particularly this one).  So far, nothing has changed, though I hear something may be in the works.

7. Can you estimate the date we'll reach 1000?

Calling it--October 4th.

8. What are your impressions on the draft class this season?

Looking good as always! I really only know it from a Malmo perspective so far, and I have a good idea what's going to happen there, so I'm excited for how it's going to help us out.

9. Are you optimistic towards the acquisition of Jokiharju by the Sabres?

I don't know anything about Jokiharju, but I love the trade that was made to get him. Nylander wasn't that great in Buffalo and I like that the team gets the chance to try their luck with another prospect.

10. If Mississauga was a car, what brand/model would it be?

Ferrari F40.

"I don't care if the door gaps are straight. When the driver steps on the gas I want him to shit his pants."

-Enzo Ferrari

Thanks for the questions!

• 1 month later...

1. How old are you? Need the truth here.

2. How do you feel about Mississauga's season so far? Above or below expectations?

3. Of all the traitorous filth within your locker room who is the worst?

4. Do you believe @GlowyGoat will succeed in 'yeeting' you into a volcano in the future?

5. In one word can you describe former member of the Hounds Jeff Downey?

1. Where was your first sim experience - here in the VHL or elsewhere?

2. Have you ever lived in San Franisco?

3. Have you ever followed the Grateful Dead as a Dead Head?

4. Does either the player or the GM play the guitar?

5. How much longer do you expect Jerry the player to play?

6. Does Jerry the GM favor offense, defense or a blend?

7. Would Jerry the GM prefer a known quantity who earns about half the possible TPE in a season or a second round draft pick?

8. Apart from entering the Hall of Fame, what would Jerry the player's ultimate goal be?

9. Is there a favorite VHL player that Jerry would like to play with on his line that he has not already?

10.  How does each (player and GM) feel about the shoot out rules for deciding the winner of a tied game?

1. On a scale of 1 to 'I love the Rolling Stones', how much of a boomer are you?

2. Why did you not answer my first set of questions? I am offended.

3. Jerry Garcia has really broken out this year with 60 points. What is  your plan going forward in his development?

4. Malmo finished first in the league this year. Do you think your team has what it takes to finish off the year and take home the championship?

5. How do you feel about employing an agent of the alt-right as your assistant general manager?

What? I come in here and people have given me MULTIPLE sets of questions? 

giphy.gif

My apologies for not answering; let me knock out 6 of them for this week...

On 10/13/2019 at 11:40 PM, JeffD said:

1. How old are you? Need the truth here.

I've told you I'm 19 in the past, and that's the truth. I know my boomer vibes say otherwise, though...

2. How do you feel about Mississauga's season so far? Above or below expectations?

I felt like we'd be below teams like Vegas, and the fact that Minnesota has so much left over from last season made them a tough opponent as well. I think we're right around where I expected to be, though 3rd place instead of 4th wouldn't have been out of the question.

3. Of all the traitorous filth within your locker room who is the worst?

Well, let's see... @Rayzor_7 was the first to betray the team, and @Radcow was the first (and so far only) AGM to leave it. But I'm going to have to go with YOU here, because you left us for the Satanic cult in Halifax.

4. Do you believe @GlowyGoat will succeed in 'yeeting' you into a volcano in the future?

I don't think so; I own a musket for home defense, since that's what the founding fathers intended.

5. In one word can you describe former member of the Hounds Jeff Downey?

Underwhelming.

On 10/20/2019 at 10:12 PM, JeffD said:

2. Why did you not answer my first set of questions? I am offended.

Honestly, I just haven't checked in here in a while, because questions aren't the most common sight, as happy as I am to see them. I have, however, gotten around to following this thread, so I should be pinged when I get questions in the future.

That's it for this week; I'll be finishing up your questions and jumping into those from @KC15 next week!

1. On a scale of 1 to 'I love the Rolling Stones', how much of a boomer are you?

Funnily enough, I used to like the Rolling Stones. Not much anymore, but Paint it Black is still a good song. Let's see, though--I read quite a few Hardy Boys books as a kid, if that counts.

3. Jerry Garcia has really broken out this year with 60 points. What is  your plan going forward in his development?

Skating and puck handling to 99, probably passing to the stratosphere as well. Maybe get scoring to 80, but I'm not sure yet.

4. Malmo finished first in the league this year. Do you think your team has what it takes to finish off the year and take home the championship?

Um, yes? Is that even a question? We're taking the cup.

5. How do you feel about employing an agent of the alt-right as your assistant general manager?

Well, now that I know that @Berocka is a racist, I can keep him on a short leash. Don't want to release it into the wild.

On 10/14/2019 at 4:16 PM, KC15 said:

1. Where was your first sim experience - here in the VHL or elsewhere?

This was my first sim league, and though I'm in a few others, it's really the only one I've been able to care about.

2. Have you ever lived in San Franisco?

I haven't--I'd have to be damn rich to do that. I'd love to visit someday, though.

Thanks for the questions--I'll finish up KC's next week!

1. What are your teams goal for this season? 

2. Are you rebuilding or running for the cup?

3. Favourite pump up song?

4. Favourite team charitable event?

5. Hows the future Draft class looking?

Gosh dern, more questions! I'll get to you next week @Laflamme, I promise.

3. Have you ever followed the Grateful Dead as a Dead Head?

Never have, I love the band but I've never been alive at the same time as Jerry Garcia, so I never got to see them. I've seen Dead and Company, though. Good stuff.

4. Does either the player or the GM play the guitar?

You know, I've never factored whether or not my player does into his storyline. We'll leave that up in the air for the moment. I do, though!

5. How much longer do you expect Jerry the player to play?

I've signed a career-long extension with Malmo, and as far as I'm concerned that's good enough. Barring something horribly wrong happening, I doubt I'll retire before I have to.

6. Does Jerry the GM favor offense, defense or a blend?

I've heard that a team with great forwards but limited defensive depth will do better than a team with great defense but limited forward depth. So, I'd lean towards offense, but any player of mine can confirm that I am very much in favor of all my players, forwards included, having solid defensive attributes--defense, skating, and puck handling all to at least 70 in the VHLM.

7. Would Jerry the GM prefer a known quantity who earns about half the possible TPE in a season or a second round draft pick?

I've found that with a second round draft pick, it's generally pretty safe to say that whoever you're picking up will do more than this. It depends on the season, though--if we're not a good team, I might prefer a consistent earner who will stay down next season and be a high-TPE guy then.

8. Apart from entering the Hall of Fame, what would Jerry the player's ultimate goal be?

A cup and at least one individual award.

9. Is there a favorite VHL player that Jerry would like to play with on his line that he has not already?

I've said this many times before, but I'll say it again--Apollo Hackett (@Renomitsu) is a wonderful person who also happens to worship me. That's a reason if I've ever seen one.

I'll hit your last question next week so I can have 6 then.

Mornin Jerry,

1. Great season for Malmo up until the finals, what was the highlight of S68 for you personally?

2. Losing a 60 goal scorer like Thompson will hurt any team, who fills in the goal scoring void on Malmo now that he's dead? (yes, he's dead, not retired)

3. Have you ever heard JESSICA by the Allman Brothers Band? Fire or nah?

4. What stat cats will Jerry Garcia be juicing up this off-season?

5. Which players do you think will lead Malmo in HITS and SHOTS BLOCKED next season (S69) ?

6. All jokes aside, do you identify more as a boomer than a millennial? 

10.  How does each (player and GM) feel about the shoot out rules for deciding the winner of a tied game?

I like it. I wish that penalty shot rating were weighed a bit more heavily, for both players and goalies, though, so there would actually be some sort of incentive to upgrade it.

On 11/1/2019 at 2:05 PM, Laflamme said:

1. What are your teams goal for this season?

We're aiming for success! We'd be a lot better off if the draft class weren't so thin, as we had a ton of picks, but I'm still confident in our chances and I feel that we've got a good roster put together.

2. Are you rebuilding or running for the cup?

We're going for the cup, for sure. In the future, not sure what we'll be doing in the seasons to come, but I'll play it by ear.

3. Favourite pump up song?

Let's see--I'm much more into long jam sessions and music for the sake of listening to music than for getting pumped up. I'll leave you with Phish's "Run Like an Antelope," if you've got the attention span for it.

4. Favourite team charitable event?

How about a VHL charitable event in real life--every year Advantage, Devise, and Jericho get together and stream to raise money for their local hospital. The last one just happened and I hope many more are to come!

5. Hows the future Draft class looking?

This draft class is super thin, relative to the other (super deep) draft classes I've been a part of and seen as a GM in my time on the site. We've got some promising members, though, and I hope recruitment brings us some new people to help out our situation.

On 11/3/2019 at 12:45 PM, gorlab said:

1. Great season for Malmo up until the finals, what was the highlight of S68 for you personally?

I can't really point to a single defining moment for myself, so I'll just say that it was great to see my stats continue to improve pretty much across the board. Winning the Wylde would have been quite the cherry (heh) on top, but I can't say I was expecting to.

2. Losing a 60 goal scorer like Thompson will hurt any team, who fills in the goal scoring void on Malmo now that he's dead? (yes, he's dead, not retired)

Now that we've signed Davis, I feel good about our chances to keep up the success. Don't get me wrong, he's no Thompson (and who is? winks) but the fact that we managed to pick up a player who's still pretty darn good, while the guys we already had continue to improve, makes me optimistic. Let's not even get into the trade for McWolf, too--another great addition to the team that will help us on the other end of the ice.

3. Have you ever heard JESSICA by the Allman Brothers Band? Fire or nah?

I'm terrible with song names, so I had to look this one up. Turns out I have indeed heard it, and many times (for those who may be reading through this thread, here it is). For me, it's certainly a good song--catchy melody, good feel, super clean guitar work, and the like. It's not something I would go out of my way to listen to, but I wouldn't exactly change the station if it were on the radio. 

(I can also tell you that it's been stuck in my head multiple times before, and now it is again, so thank you for that)

4. What stat cats will Jerry Garcia be juicing up this off-season?

Oh, he'll be juicing up alright My goal this season is to get skating and puck handling to 99, and then to max out passing. I've got a final build in mind already (986 TPE, in case you're wondering) but I'm at the point where I'm balanced enough in everything else that I can just crank up what really matters.

5. Which players do you think will lead Malmo in HITS and SHOTS BLOCKED next season (S69) ?

Hits--Phil Marleau by far. He led the league in hits in his rookie season, and I'm willing to bet he'll keep the physical game going for his whole career. 

Shots blocked--Either myself or McWolf, and it's going to be close. I'm giving the edge to Jerry, though, as McWolf is slightly more physical and Jerry will tend to hang back and go for the block a bit more often.

6. All jokes aside, do you identify more as a boomer than a millennial?

Not really. I know I certainly give off an "older than I actually am" vibe sometimes, but to be honest I don't really care to identify with any generation in particular. I was actually born in 2000 (feel old yet?), which is sort of in the zone of blurred distinction between millennial and gen z--if you ask me, millennial trails off around 1997 and gen z really starts to pick up around 2003, and I'm right in the middle. I know people my age who are certainly more millennial and I know people my age who are certainly more gen z. I don't really consider myself either, I guess. I just want to live my own life without some arbitrary label.

Thanks for the questions, appreciated as always!