Why Does the Simmer's Team Win Every Year?

eaglesfan036

Devise is simming this season, and guess whose team currently sits in 1st place in line for the Victory Cup? Last season, Beketov, the poor man who had not won a cup in 3,000 years, easily swept his way to a Continental Cup. The previous year, Devise was the simmer, and you can guess who won the cup in S65. The pattern continues, and perhaps it has been purposely made so obvious - A sweep in the finals looks too obvious, or maybe that is reverse psychology and that is the whole point in tricking us. Toronto magically winning the cup in S65 - well at least it was in 7 games to look real. This season, Toronto is far and away above everyone else, which again is the reverse psychology trick of looking too obvious.

Beketov and Devise have been in the league for forever and I consider them trustworthy, and I don't think they are rigging the sims. I really hope they aren't otherwise all this is for naught. Just a very strange pattern I would like to point out. 

So someone has to say it...basically until we have a non GM simming the playoffs these games will have seriously negative stigma. How this has been allowed for a second straight season is irredeemably nonsensical. Throw yet another asterisk on the winning team of the Victory Cup which is supposed to be the top award of a player and GMs career. But boy does this cast a dark cloud. Hate to say it. The inside knowledge of how the sim operates and its applied seasonal settings is incredibly valuable.

Not a fan of VHL GM simming the VHL because of threads such as this ?

When Jardy disappeared a couple years ago and the VHL sim job opened I had to stay with the VHLM because I was Helsinki GM and didn’t want any doubt in the legitimacy from eagles fan lol

I am not sure if this is tongue in cheek or not, or missing an internal meme/reference, but it was literally the first thing I brought up with my GM., Having a programmer background this can and should be automated, the TPE review process can be handled manually.It's not that I distrust the simmers, but that they shouldn't have to sim or be scrutinized.

E: I am apparently out of emoticons for the day, but it would have been some sort of smiley.

aiWdvKO.png

Edited by Elmebeck

1 hour ago, eaglesfan036 said:

Beketov and Devise have been in the league for forever and I consider them trustworthy, and I don't think they are rigging the sims. I really hope they aren't otherwise all this is for naught. Just a very strange pattern I would like to point out. 

I’ve always felt it was unfair that some GMs had the ability to test sim while others did not. I think that is the only advantage there is besides legit rigging by redoing the sim to get your result..

If you can test sim and also are in charge of the results sent to the server, then that is a huge problem. I really want to be clear that I am not accusing anyone of any wrongdoing, and I don't think there is any, and I am I am very new here, but I think an automated schedule run by a person prohibited from becoming a GM would at least address some of these issues. 

E: And yes, there's a problem there too, you want the active people running it, but the active people also want to become GMs etc... so yeah, I have no solution to that, other than automation.

Edited by Elmebeck

• Commissioner

So all this discussion of “GM’s shouldn’t sim” is discounting that I’m not a GM... if you guys really care that much we could just make Devise full time VHLM and I’ll do VHL, I have no intention of ever GMing. However I’d say it’s woefully unnecessary. The last finals Devise Simmed were all done live so he couldn’t have cheated if he had wanted to and quite frankly it’s never really been worth the league’s health for either of us to attempt cheating despite what I’ll admit it looks like. Simmer “rigging” has been brought up since S1 but we’ve never remotely had proof.

As for @Elmebeck‘s logic of automation; I’d love to be proven wrong but so far as I’m aware there is no way to automate our sim engine. Maybe I’m wrong there, I just don’t think it’s possible.

• Senior Admin

You could apply all the criticisms in this thread to any simmer that has a player in the league

Automating simming isn't realistic so our best option is having trustworthy people sim

• Senior Admin
12 minutes ago, .sniffuM said:

Make @DilIsPickle simmer

Why didn't we think of this sooner? This will solve everything. @DilIsPickle is a beacon of integrity and trusted by all. 

Plus him and SimonT will get along great as neither can speak proper English!

For the record as well, I mentioned this in the Discord before the season started but going forward all playoffs games involving the simmers teams will be live simmed when possible to avoid issues.

That on top of a 3 person sim team with rotating roles season to season seems pretty healthy to me. That said carry on with your memes.

12 hours ago, Nykonax said:

So someone has to say it...basically until we have a non GM simming the playoffs these games will have seriously negative stigma. How this has been allowed for a second straight season is irredeemably nonsensical. Throw yet another asterisk on the winning team of the Victory Cup which is supposed to be the top award of a player and GMs career. But boy does this cast a dark cloud. Hate to say it. The inside knowledge of how the sim operates and its applied seasonal settings is incredibly valuable.

Where did this pasta come from. I tried to find it when dil posted it the other day  but VHL search is buns and turned up no results.

2 minutes ago, .sniffuM said:

Where did this pasta come from. I tried to find it when dil posted it the other day  but VHL search is buns and turned up no results.

S65 Game 7, Helsinki vs Toronto by jubo07

Edited by Matt_O

• Senior Admin
1 hour ago, Devise said:

For the record as well, I mentioned this in the Discord before the season started but going forward all playoffs games involving the simmers teams will be live simmed when possible to avoid issues.

That on top of a 3 person sim team with rotating roles season to season seems pretty healthy to me. That said carry on with your memes.

I don't have an issue at all but maybe it would be smart to just have @Beketov take over VHL Playoffs regardless of the normal rotation if Toronto's in, to avoid the optics of it? 

By that point no roster movement in VHLM so doesn't really matter, can still do the regular season rotation. 

Only really skimmed a bit here, but if the simmer’s team is in the playoffs — why not have him livestream the sim process to one blue member to verify and immediately shut down stupid threads like these? I’ve been here sporadically but there are fewer people I would trust more than Devise or Bek

3 hours ago, Will said:

Automating simming isn't realistic so our best option is having trustworthy people sim

I made a bot to make lines, how difficult could simming be ? 

1 hour ago, .sniffuM said:

Jubo in the game where Toronto beat Helsinki to win the cup twice in a row

1 hour ago, Will said:

I don't have an issue at all but maybe it would be smart to just have @Beketov take over VHL Playoffs regardless of the normal rotation if Toronto's in, to avoid the optics of it? 

By that point no roster movement in VHLM so doesn't really matter, can still do the regular season rotation. 

While I'm not opposed to improving the optics, when this was brought up previously Bek and I had kind of agreed that if we commit to live simming any playoff games in conflict then it shouldn't really matter who is simming. This would be the case for Bek and Helsinki for example. Ultimately there is no clearer way to clear up the optics than a livesim, as it's impossible to rig that. I guess I just don't see how that approach combined with our rotation doesn't adequately handle the optics situation?

1 minute ago, Josh said:

I think live simming the whole playoffs could be cool and then no one has anything to cry about (other than the simmers)

Yes. I am on board. Playoffs are the biggest deal in the VHL anyway and this would allow us to continue to use our trusted rotation of simmers without any optics problems. I'm sure no member can complain if all playoffs games are live simmed. 

20 minutes ago, Devise said:

Yes. I am on board. Playoffs are the biggest deal in the VHL anyway and this would allow us to continue to use our trusted rotation of simmers without any optics problems. I'm sure no member can complain if all playoffs games are live simmed. 

Someone will find a way lol

23 minutes ago, Devise said:

or just stop winning tbh, that be nice