DC Dragons Press Conference

Enorama

Mid-1st round edition

1. We're still alive! Do we complete the comeback against the Wranglers in games 6 and 7?

2. What has been the biggest surprise of this season for you?

3. Three of the top four picks in this year's draft will belong to teams with 80 points or more. What do you blame this on; bad GMing, bad rules, bad luck, or some mixture thereof?

4. Vancouver just went out to Seattle round 1. Will Seattle threepeat?

5. Obviously, we'll need a goalie within the next couple seasons. Vancouver is rumoured to be shopping Spyro around and Wolski is available in the draft. Would you try to grab one of those two or try something else?

6. Now that we're in playoffs, this question is quite a bit more relevant than before; team success or personal success, which is more important to you?

1. We're still alive! Do we complete the comeback against the Wranglers in games 6 and 7?

I was worried at 3-1, but I'm given a boost of confidence with the the win to go to 3-2.  I say, why not?!

It's not a big surprise since I knew we were improving, but getting into the playoffs was nice.

3. Three of the top four picks in this year's draft will belong to teams with 80 points or more. What do you blame this on; bad GMing, bad rules, bad luck, or some mixture thereof?

Seems we don't do well in the lottery so I want to blame bad rules, but really it might not be anyone's fault.  Just the way it fell.

I went for them early actually in my predictions, but now I'm thinking no.  Not just quite enough to make it three.

5. Obviously, we'll need a goalie within the next couple seasons. Vancouver is rumoured to be shopping Spyro around and Wolski is available in the draft. Would you try to grab one of those two or try something else?

Confess ignorance here, but I do like to have a good goalie developing in the wings.  

6. Now that we're in playoffs, this question is quite a bit more relevant than before; team success or personal success, which is more important to you?

Oooh, that's tough.  Both are important.  I lean on the one that is happening.  So, if we have a loss and Lesieur scores 2 goals, I rejoice in that.  If Lesieur lays an egg, but we win 4-2, I rejoice in that.

I'm praying and hoping that we can pull a pseudo comeback-sweep! I think we have all the pieces for it, we just need to get our special teams going and capitalize on those PP's.

Honestly, it's our regular season standing. After the start of the season, I'm pleasantly surprised that we rallied and got ourselves in a solid standing!

Honestly, it's a shame that the lottery can even make an outcome like this when it really doesn't help the teams that really need it. I'm thinking it's a mixture of bad rules and bad luck.

I'm hoping not cause I want it to be us! However all great dynasties aren't dynasties without a threepeat.

I think we should see how well our draft picks are before thinking of grabbing a veteran goalie. Both are great players that could definitely help us between the pipes.

For me, I would say team success because my perspective of team success involves everyone clicking together and contributing the best they can in their own personal way. I think if player bought into the team's system, the personal success will come itself.

1. We're still alive! Do we complete the comeback against the Wranglers in games 6 and 7?

A little late to this question, but I did feel we had a chance. Unfortunate that we couldn’t capitalize on it.

The overall improvement of our team. With the off-season moves we had made there was definitely some improvement to the team, but to have made the playoffs in a very close race was something that surprised me a lot. 

Can’t say I’ve been too involved in the trades or politics of the VHL GMs but normally it’s a mixture of bad GMing and bad luck so I’m sticking with that.

Yikes. Well Vancouver were one of the teams to beat, but getting past Moscow might be the biggest challenge. 

Might be a good idea. Pouta is still working his way up there and is reliable for sure, but having someone to replace the presence of Kirketers is definitely needed.

Team success. Personal accolades are nice but seeing the team succeed is better 

On 3/2/2020 at 2:46 PM, Enorama said:

Mid-1st round edition

1. Im a little late on this one, but if you would have asked me before I would have said we would have had it. 

2. Its got to be the comeback we made this year. We didn't get out to the strongest start but we brought it back and positioned ourselves nicely.

3. Yeah, thats pretty crazy. I guess props to those gm's. They obviously know what they're doing.

4. It's hard to bet against them as always. I'd favor them to take it home at this point.

5. I would try and grab a young goalie who could blossom into a star for us. Might be hard to find but I believe in the management team here.

6. As nice as personal success is and feels, nothing beats team success. 

On 3/2/2020 at 10:46 PM, Enorama said:

Mid-1st round edition

1) Yes(lol), in all seriousness we did fine for our first playoff appearance, only upwards from here.
2) I expected us to do better than previous seasons(duh), but we did more than what I expected, playoffs were a nice change for Mikko who hasn't been in them for the past 2 seasons.
3) Mostly poor gm'ing I'd say, but luck played its role too.
4) Always possible.
5) I'd aim for Wolski, hes projected to be a pretty damn good goalie prospect.
6) team success always.

Post-playoffs, pre-draft edition

1. If you had to play for any other team in the league, who would you play for?

2. What is one change you would make in the league if you had the power to do it?

3. Do you listen to any podcasts on the site? If so, which one(s)?

4. The draft lottery is finished. Will Riga take Roque Davis or Kyl Oferson 1st overall?

5. We hold the 7th overall pick, but rumours abound that we may be trading it. Are we trading up, trading down, or trading it for a player?

6. Moscow and Calgary are facing off in the finals. Moscow is heavily favored, but would Calgary winning make our 4-2 series against them feel a little better?

Lesieur doesn't play for anyone but D.C.

2. What is one change you would make in the league if you had the power to do it?

Have to say that I'm pretty happy with the league.  Nothing really on my mind.

It's funny.  Actually listening to you on the VSN Australia pod as I do this presser.  But that's the first one I've every listened to.

4. The draft lottery is finished. Will Riga take Roque Davis or Kyl Oferson 1st overall?

No idea.  Don't follow the draft well enough to know.

5. We hold the 7th overall pick, but rumours abound that we may be trading it. Are we trading up, trading down, or trading it for a player?

I could see us trading up for a goalie, but we may not need to do that to get who we want, so I wouldn't bet the farm.

6. Moscow and Calgary are facing off in the finals. Moscow is heavily favored, but would Calgary winning make our 4-2 series against them feel a little better?

Yeah, I'm actually one of those guys who tends to say, "Well, we were knocked out by the eventual Cup winner - and we took them to 6 in the first round.

D.C. or Bust! I do have some former Hali teammates on NYA that I enjoyed playing with but D.C.'s where my hearts at.

I kind of wish that the 'Unofficial' awards were legit awards that could be tracked, adds some cool stats that really cool/funny to follow

I listened to one, VHL Australia, interviewing our GM and giving some solid insight on where the Club and League is going and what may happen in the future.

I'm thinking Riga may need some more support in the O-zone so my guess is Oferson

Nothing can stop us, we're all the way upppppp... either that and pick a goalie or trade for one is my guess

I think the fact that we made it that competitive for them in our series and seeing the same results for them against Moscow is very impressive. I think we'll fair much better next season!

On 3/9/2020 at 4:30 PM, Enorama said:

1) Probably Malmo, I really liked their logo and name of the team once it was revealed.
2) I'd just bring back being able to see the whole teams stats in a single page, it's kinda annoying having to go through every member of the team to see their stats.
3) I have listened to some in the past, but not lately.
4) You can't go wrong with either one, my guess is Oferson.
5) We're Packaging the 7th overall + Mikko Aaltonen and trading it all for a 5th rounder, bag of pucks and a toilet paper roll.
6) To me it doesn't ultimately matter, we gave it our best in our first playoff appearance, it's only upwards from here.

20 minutes ago, GRZ said:

2) I'd just bring back being able to see the whole teams stats in a single page, it's kinda annoying having to go through every member of the team to see their stats.

Do you mean like this or like this?

5 minutes ago, Enorama said:

Do you mean like this or like this?

huh, I didn't know there was a dedicated page to team scoring, never went out to explore the portal more when the stats disappeared from the roster page

Edited by GRZ

42 minutes ago, GRZ said:

huh, I didn't know there was a dedicated page to team scoring, never went out to explore the portal more when the stats disappeared from the roster page

stats -> team scoring

Then you can select a team by clicking the logo or the season by clicking the drop down in the upper right

On 3/9/2020 at 9:30 AM, Enorama said:

1. If you had to play for any other team in the league, who would you play for? Vancouver, I love throwing seasons

2. What is one change you would make in the league if you had the power to do it? Bring back grading #oldballs

3. Do you listen to any podcasts on the site? If so, which one(s)? I listen to phil's occasionally but only if it includes beer

4. The draft lottery is finished. Will Riga take Roque Davis or Kyl Oferson 1st overall? Roque n roll

5. We hold the 7th overall pick, but rumours abound that we may be trading it. Are we trading up, trading down, or trading it for a player? Trade down, gain capital for future

6. Moscow and Calgary are facing off in the finals. Moscow is heavily favored, but would Calgary winning make our 4-2 series against them feel a little better? Yes very

Post Draft, Preseason Edition

1. What have you been doing in in training to get an edge on the upcoming season?

2. The draft took place last night and we traded up to fourth to get Stone Wolski. What are your thoughts on that transaction?

3. Now that you've had a brief meeting with the new young players for DC, what do you think of the future for DC?

4. When you were a rookie, how was the entire draft process for you?

5. Now that the draft has concluded, how do you think DC will fare in the upcoming season?

6. Which team are you raring to go against in the upcoming season?

1. What have you been doing in in training to get an edge on the upcoming season?

Been doing a lot of video work on my positioning as well as working with the coaches on my pure skating skills.

2. The draft took place last night and we traded up to fourth to get Stone Wolski. What are your thoughts on that transaction?

Brilliant!  We've had some good goal tending all along, but it was important to get a franchise goalie for the future.

3. Now that you've had a brief meeting with the new young players for DC, what do you think of the future for DC?

Brighter than ever!

I really enjoyed it.  Stream was well-done and I enjoyed the commentary.  Felt very welcomed in both by Mexico City in the VHLM and the Dragons (via draft day trade) in the VHL.

5. Now that the draft has concluded, how do you think DC will fare in the upcoming season?

Playoffs again, but with a deeper push.  Maybe all the way if we can catch lightning in a bottle.

All of them!  Bring 'em on!

7 hours ago, fonziGG said:

1. Just working hard as usual, wanna make sure I cap each week, that sorta thing.

2. great goalie!! I know so cause I had to do battle with him in VHLM :D

3. I think it's bright, I believ Eno has a good vision for the team.

4. It was fun, I enjoy the wait to see who will draft me although it's not fun when your just BPA picked.

5. Better of course, I think you guys will do at least a bit better this season.

6. Well I'm not on the team but the Legion, because I get to face you guys then :D

8 hours ago, fonziGG said:

1. Training? What's are you trying to say that I wasn't good enough already? The only training that I have been doing is working on my celly, and let me tell you, that's really coming along.

2. I was excited about the idea of getting drafted alongside a goalie. If everything lines up, I should be in my prime when our goalie is in his prime, so I'll be here for the winning years on the Dragons.

3. As one of the aforementioned young player of DC., I am elated for the future here. We've got this goalie who can stop literally everything, a flashy young winger from the Caribbean, and some cocky guy whose name is literally dick dickinson, what a rag tag group!

4. I am the rookie, and this draft process was actually a lot of fun. I got picked in the 2nd round, which wasn't bad at all for someone who puts in the bare min like I do. Plus, by the nature of where I was drafted,  I can always hold it over Dick that I was the forward taken first.

5. I mean, championship or bust, right? Obviously no, I think we'll have a solid playoff run, but unfortunately without me. I think it'll be a lot of fun though to cheer on the guys.

6. I'm excited to see the DC Dragons play my old favorite team from Helsinki, the pesky Titans. As a former original team affiliated player, I'm excited to join a young start up, on the right side of the pond too!

everything but especially my big dick energy, gotta get the team going innit

good. anything to get the team as good as it can be

good, we've got a bunch of young dudes ready to roll

first time: not that hard, went early. now: angry that i fell, prepared to kick ass

playoffs baby, we are that good

all vhlm scrub teams, prepare to get beaten

Edge work and stick handling are always a main focus of mine... that and getting better at skating backwards for better transitions.

Solid GMing in my opinion, we got a franchise goalie that's a pivotal piece in a successful Championship team.

Better get some sunglasses, cause our future is mad bright ? younger guys are going to crush it! It's wild to think of myself as an older guy on the team now.

A bit nerve racking, but exciting! You never know where you'll end up. I'm more than grateful in being in DC and I wouldn't want it any other way.

We made a solid run last season breaking a lot of expectations and I think we're going to go even further this coming season with the new kids on the block!

Prague, they're like the uglier twin of ours being both expansion teams. Having joining the VHL at the same time, it's hard not to compare yourselves to them hence why I consider them our biggest rival.

On 3/16/2020 at 9:55 AM, fonziGG said:

1. What have you been doing in in training to get an edge on the upcoming season? smoking a LOT of weed (it's legal now in IL) - +4 dexterity

2. The draft took place last night and we traded up to fourth to get Stone Wolski. What are your thoughts on that transaction? I like the aggressiveness moving up to potentially get a bigger piece or cornerstone as we are looking to sustain ongoing playoffs

3. Now that you've had a brief meeting with the new young players for DC, what do you think of the future for DC? super bright!  guys are selfless and there are no cancers in the locker room

4. When you were a rookie, how was the entire draft process for you? TBH I don't remember but I think I was in the 4th round and sent back to the M (VHLM)

5. Now that the draft has concluded, how do you think DC will fare in the upcoming season? Playoffs again, probably a 2nd or 3rd seed

6. Which team are you raring to go against in the upcoming season? Calgary in my eyes is who I'd rather beat, Vancouver was so Season 70

1. What have you been doing in training to get an edge on the upcoming season?

Hitting the outdoor rinks around town for some friendly pick up to not be rusty. I’ve also been working hard with my training to work on my fundamental skills on the ice. 

Was a great transactions in my point of view. With the team looking to get better each season having a player like Wolski who has shown to already be a top draftee coming into the new season is all the better. 

Haven’t had a chance to interact with any of them lately, but from the chatter I’ve heard they all seem to be genuine guys who are ready to compete. Gotta love that.

Being a new user a little confusing. More so cause I could stay in the VHML even after being drafted which all in all wasn’t a bad thing. Gave me more time to figure things out before being dropped into the major league.

We’ll for sure be a competing team. We have the right pieces and haven’t lost too much going into the next season. We’ll be a team to watch for 

Always aiming to beat the top teams so Vancouver, Moscow & Calgary

On 3/16/2020 at 7:55 AM, fonziGG said:

1) I've just been trying to get in all the training that I can before I start my VHL career. That's the main key for me as a rookie.

2) Being the very man himself, my thoughts are that I'm flattered and also super excited! I hope to make DC proud in the near future!

3) I think DC is definitely trending upwards. We have the right man at the helm and I believe we will compete soon.

4) The draft process was great. Teams reached out and I basically went where I wanted to go! DC I think is a great fit for me.

5) I think we'll make the post-season. Outside of that, the playoffs could go anywhere!

6) Any of the big top teams. Other guys listed them above!

Countdown to season start (two more days!)

1. Where do we fall in the NA conference this year? (1st-6th)

2. Who wins the race for last place between Toronto and Davos?

3. What is your VHL hot take for S71?

4. We've got a little bit of cap room going into the season, should we; a) pick up an inactive dman to take ice time away from our bots, b) accrue some to buy some help at the deadline, or c) hand out some bonuses?

5. Our friend Pekka Pouta was sent away to Davos to make room for FA pickup JB Rift. Do you have any nice words to send Pouta on his way?

6. Will rookie goaltender Wolski push Rift for starts by the end of the season?

1. Where do we fall in the NA conference this year? (1st-6th)

Won't be so bold as to go #1 - though it could happen.  I'll slot us in at third.

2. Who wins the race for last place between Toronto and Davos?

Poor Davos.

3. What is your VHL hot take for S71?

Lesieur increases his scoring by 50%.

4. We've got a little bit of cap room going into the season, should we; a) pick up an inactive dman to take ice time away from our bots, b) accrue some to buy some help at the deadline, or c) hand out some bonuses?

We'll make the playoffs so bots are not a huge issue.  But depending on where we are, we might want a boost at deadline.

5. Our friend Pekka Pouta was sent away to Davos to make room for FA pickup JB Rift. Do you have any nice words to send Pouta on his way?

It was great playing on the Dragons with you.  Much success in Davos.

6. Will rookie goaltender Wolski push Rift for starts by the end of the season?

I'm guessing yes, indeed.