DC Dragons Press Conference

Enorama

1. How are you feeling in this pandemic?

It's such an odd time, but my family and my church help keep me anchored.  Incredibly, we had 83 for our online celebration of Easter Sunday.  Less than a normal Easter, but not a lot less and 83 is quite a few to gather together online.  Felt really uplifting.

2. What is your favourite hobbies besides sports?

Fun question: Not sure if all of these are hobbies, pastimes, interests or whatever, but film, theater, reading, genealogy, metal detecting.

3. What individual awards are you going for this season?

Don't know that I am looking at awards just yet in Guy's career, but I do very much want to improve in all areas of his game from season to season: goals, assists, shooting percentage, +/-, etc.

4. How have you been keeping fit during this crazy time?

Not sure I'm "keeping fit", but we have a new dog in the house and we've been going on regular walks.

5. Who is your bestest VHL buddy?

Ooooh.  A bit of a dangerous question ranking friends and teammates.  I'll just say my GM, @Enorama as a safe, but not untrue answer.

6. Who is your favourite NHL player of all time?

Crazy because he is not a star by any stretch of the imagination, but Ken Daneyko of the NJ Devils.  Epitome of a hard-working hockey guy who "carried the mail".  The Gretzkys of the world are so much fun to watch on the ice, but the backbone of the league that make it all possible are the Daneykos of the NHL.

10 hours ago, fonziGG said:

More boring generic questions since we're mid season.

1. How are you feeling in this pandemic? TBH work is mostly isolated anyways so life is not that much different!  biggest change IMO is being mindful of touching surfaces, immediate contact with others, sanitizing/cleaning shit more etc....  but goddamn is the commute better ;)

2. What is your favourite hobbies besides sports? working out, building shit, traveling to different cities

3. What individual awards are you going for this season? are there any for best 4th defenseman?

4. How have you been keeping fit during this crazy time? The diet has been mostly the same but weight training has been difficult to overcome.  body weight stuff only goes so far.  been biking a lot more to try and make up for it

5. Who is your bestest VHL buddy? hmm.... probably phil

6. Who is your favourite NHL player of all time? Doug Glatt

On 4/14/2020 at 5:12 AM, fonziGG said:

Ok, I got out of London to go stay with my parents which I'm very glad off, having garden and a dog around definitely helps. Wish i brought my PC though, feeling the lack of gaming time a bit, though playing dnd is easing the itch a bit.

Playing Magic: the Gathering

I don't think there's much on the table for me at the moment so I'm just trying to help the team out where I can, improve my defence and keep my shooting percentage high.

Been doing this 500 rep challenge with my parents and the neighbours, you have to do 500 total reps of any combination of exercises like pullups, press ups, chest press etc. Also a few 5ks a week down by the seaside helps get out of the house.

Not too close with many people in the VHL so probably Eno i suppose.

Don't really follow irl hockey so not sure.

Worried, but can't say I'm feeling the "panic" since it doesn't seem as crazy as in other parts of the world right now. Plus by having to go to still go to work much of my routine is still the same.

2. What is your favorite hobbies besides sports?

Gaming i'd have to say.

Defenseman of the year. Looks like I still have a ways to go though :/

Trying to. Was a regular gym goer so I'm scrambling to find equipment to get by

I don't have one... atleast I don't think I do

6. Who is your favorite NHL player of all time?

Gotta go with Wayne Gretzky. I know. Pretty basic

On 4/14/2020 at 7:12 AM, fonziGG said:

1) At the start of all this mess I was kinda worried/stressed out, but now I'm just chilling
2) Gaming is the biggest one
3) Aaltonen is going for that scoring title, also getting a positive +/- wouldn't hurt 
4) Really haven't, ever since this pandemic I've become even more lazier.
5) There isn't a true "bestest" buddy of mine, since I'm not that active in the league I haven't made any connections other than my teammates of course(they all are the real ones)
6) I only started following NHL like 1-2 years ago, so I don't have a connection with any historical player, current favorite NHL player is for sure Zach Werenski. 

On 4/13/2020 at 9:12 PM, fonziGG said:

1. Stressed of course, extra stress cause I work at a grocery store.

2. Video games :D

3. I'd love to get rookie of the year but that's looking pretty unlikely at this point.

4. Well I'm still working so that way.

5. That's a bit of a tough one, don't get me wrong I have some goo buddies here but I don't feel like there's really been that one guy that we hang out with all the time you know? I'd say Doomsday probably.

6. well I'm newer to hockey/NHL than probably most people here, that being said I'm a sucker for those really long careers, I'm not gonna say Gordie Howe because I wasn't even born yet when he played his last game. I'm mixed between Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau because ya I'm a sharks fan and those 2 guys have had great careers. While I haven't watched him much I also wanna throw in Mike Smith here, love the guy.

1. Def a bit anxious, but staying positive and hoping for the best.

2. Arts and crafts.

3. Let’s just get the cup.

4. Running with my mask on. 

5. @DangerGolding duh ?

6. I don’t really follow NHL ??‍♂️

1. I'm pretty good. I'm an elevator guy so I'm an essential worker. Kind of glad I'm still working, because otherwise I'd be bored as fuck.

2. Hiking, gym, watersports like wakeboarding and wakesurfing, kayaking, etc. Snowboarding. I love all that outdoorsy shit. Also a pretty big gamer.

3. Rookie of the year would be great, but I won't be playing nearly enough games for that! Pretty much the only award I could even be considered for this season.

4. Biking and running around the neighborhood!

5. Honestly, I have no idea. I've been here for awhile, so guys like Banackock, Devise, Beaviss, Trifecta, Beketov, gorlab, etc. come to mind.

6. Pavel Bure! Easy choice for me, especially as a Canucks fan. :)

On 4/14/2020 at 6:12 AM, fonziGG said:

1. Cabin fever more than anything tbh. 

2. Idk... hanging our with my friends and video games I guess.

3. None really. Just trying to get back some activity.

4. A lot of home workouts, plus I have a basketball hoop in the driveway so I've been getting some shots up.

5. Honestly haven't been here in a while. Probably someone I know from the SBA.

6. I liked Julie in the Mighty Ducks...

I'm doing pretty well! I still have to go to work on a new schedule but I'm beyond grateful I'm still getting paid.

I'm a big music fan, when I was younger I thought I would be the next Avicii lol also love movies, playing video games with buds

Anything would be great but I don't think I'm really in the running for any awards this season.

mainly a lot of push ups and sit ups cause I get tested on it every 6 months, I'm a big swimmer however every pool is closed so I'm kinda screwed for cardio lol

I'm not super close to many here, but I do look up to a lot of people. Most of which are GMs or former GMs and AGMs like Fonzi, McWolf, Eno, Jerry Garcia, Acyd.

I grew up loving Joe Thornton on the B's and converted to being a Sharks fan after the trade. My childhood was filled with nights staying up for west coast games on the the east coast and crying myself to sleep at 4am lol It's gonna be a real sad day when he retires.

It's been crazy for me. I've taken on a lot more at work due to other employees refusing to work. Basically doing 3x the work I had originally had to do. Then on top of that I have a 6 year old daughter who now is out of school.

Enjoy spending time with my daughter, then gaming once she's in bed lol.

Not really going for any individual awards. Maybe keep getting my stats high to be considered one of the best Dragons in team history.

Haven't. I was going for runs when this all first started and the gyms closed. Now, I can barely stay awake once I get home from work.

I haven't actually been very social with my current run. I do enjoy chatting with all the DC guys in the discord tho

Dougie Gilmour

TDL edition

1. Tight race for the Victory Cup. Which North American team wins it?

2. After a quiet season trade-wise last year, which mid-season trade surprised you the most this season?

3. Who wins at trivia night, former AGM @McWolf or current AGM @fonziGG?

4. Veteran dman Fish announced his retirement. Who do you think can fill that hole in the back end?

5. Rumours of expansion abound seemingly nonstop in the VHL. Where would you put a VHL or VHLM team?

6. What's your favourite colour?

Got to be the Dragons with a year end surge.

2. After a quiet season trade-wise last year, which mid-season trade surprised you the most this season?

Frostbeard. Thought he was here for the duration.

3. Who wins at trivia night, former AGM @McWolf or current AGM @fonziGG? Current. No faith in those who leave. lol

4. Veteran dman Fish announced his retirement. Who do you think can fill that hole in the back end?

No one can fill that hole. 

5. Rumours of expansion abound seemingly nonstop in the VHL. Where would you put a VHL or VHLM team?

Québec needs a team.

Green.

TDL edition

3. Who wins at trivia night, former AGM @McWolf or current AGM @fonziGG?

4. Veteran dman Fish announced his retirement. Who do you think can fill that hole in the back end?

1. 100%, we got it.

2. Def me as a Dragon. Love the DC squad but didn't expect to leave NY.

3. Rooting for Fonzi on this one.

4. Bet on Luciano Valentino.

5. Let's expand to South America! Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro.  

6. Blue for sure.

1. Tight race for the Victory Cup. Which North American team wins it? I think Calgary will stay on top

2. After a quiet season trade-wise last year, which mid-season trade surprised you the most this season? NYA 4th in exchange for VAN 4th, that was a definite blockbuster

3. Who wins at trivia night, former AGM @McWolf or current AGM @fonziGG? FONZI FONZI FONZI, got to support my current Malmo goalie ❤️

Thanks for letting me loan your press conference! Till next time

On 4/20/2020 at 3:22 PM, Enorama said:

TDL edition

1. Tight race for the Victory Cup. Which North American team wins it? DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA MF DRAGONS

2. After a quiet season trade-wise last year, which mid-season trade surprised you the most this season? VAN/NYA 4th round swap

3. Who wins at trivia night, former AGM @McWolf or current AGM @fonziGGthe fonz...i

4. Veteran dman Fish announced his retirement. Who do you think can fill that hole in the back end? ME

5. Rumours of expansion abound seemingly nonstop in the VHL. Where would you put a VHL or VHLM team? CHICAGO (CHELSEA DAGGER IN BACKGROUND)

6. What's your favourite colour? BLUE

On 4/20/2020 at 11:22 PM, Enorama said:

TDL edition

1) Probably Calgary, but if we were to catch fire I think it's doable for us.
2) I didn't expect Frosty to leave D.C so quick, but it was the best decision for both parties involved.
3) McFonzi.
4) Nice career for Fish, wish him the best in retirement, while the spot shouldn't be that hard to fill skill-wise, the veteran presence will be missed.
5) England needs a hockey team, the fan base has been waiting for an eternity.
6) This has changed many times, but I've always liked Purple & Black

On 4/20/2020 at 1:22 PM, Enorama said:

TDL edition

1. I feel like Calgary does, but we are currently the hottest team and it's really close. We have a good shot at this thing.

2. The Forest to DC. Wasn't really expecting something that big.

3. Fonz, I'd say.

4. More minutes for Valentino. :D

5. Portland. Somewhere closer to the Canada/USA border.

6. Blue, but right it's DC colours.

I'm thinking Calgary as well but I'm hoping we sweep in last minute.

Frosty - Boris Trade, I think it worked out for both clubs. But the 4th rounders between VAN and NYA is a close one.

I'm thinking McWolf by a hair but no discredit to Fonzi

I'll miss my D partner dearly and wish him the best. I'm hoping that Drumm picks up where Fish left off.

I'm with Mikko on this one, I think a UK hockey team would be rad!

Really depends on the day, I go back and fourth between Blue and Green so I'll say Teal ?

At this point probably VAN, but technically CGY or us could still chase em down. I think VAN takes it but I'd love to see a crazy cold streak change it up in the last sixish here. 

The trade for Boris. I didn't know how sold DC was on competing until that moment, as it was an iffy if Rift was even going to get to come to DC this season. Despite his own struggles I'm happy with how it all turned out and am glad that the team pushed in a more competitive direction not just for this season but the future. 

McWolf because he's in the BoG now and (as are you @Enorama) and we all know that old boys club is all about them o p t i c s. 

Charles Drumm is the most likely candidate to pick up the extra minutes. But obviously next season looking towards FA or trade to fill the slot and continue with a strong defensive core. 

giphy.gif

You know it's probably best I give some answer to this question for reasons....but uh yeah sure I'll say how about I'd put a team in Vasteras. Uh huh, yep for sure! 

Red generally, green or blue when I'm bored. It's tough because things that aren't monocolored are generally better, as variety is the spice of life in general. 

On 4/20/2020 at 2:22 PM, Enorama said:

TDL edition

6. What's your favorite color?

1. Gonna say Calgary although Vancouver could come pretty close

2. Can’t say I payed too much attention to the trades this season, but acquiring Boris for us was equally a surprise and a huge acquisition. 
3. Both seem like knowledge guys. Just gonna say McWolf for the hell of it

4. I wanna say me cause why not

5. A UK team would be interesting

6. Blue 

On 4/20/2020 at 4:22 PM, Enorama said:

TDL edition

1. Vancouver. I just think in the end they have the biggest starpower, and it will overcome all other teams.

2. I would agree with the majority here. The Boris-Frostbeard trade was pretty surprising. I think we were onboard with Frostbeard being a Dragon and taking us on a run, but midway through the season as we started to tinker with the lines, I think it was evident that the fit wasn't quite right. Definitely surprising for both sides as I wouldn't have though Boris was available.

3. McWolf

4. Gotta think Ricky steps into the role of Valentino's pairing. I mean I would be surprised if DC didn't grab another D-man to fill the hole as a 4th defenseman will be needed, but I think Ricky has earned enough to be relevant as a top pairing defenseman. I think if he can get his Skating into the elite level, he's a better version of Fish as soon as next season.

5. Let's see a Bratislava Watchmen return pls.

7. Orange