DC Dragons Press Conference

Enorama

1. Where do we fall in the NA conference this year? (1st-6th)

2nd or 3rd honestly. I think the NA is due for a shake up given how some of the players have retired and some of the rosters have shifted. I think Van, Seattle and DC are probably the three top dogs this year. 

2. Who wins the race for last place between Toronto and Davos?

Sadly, probably Davos. TOR has done a bit more in the pipeline and it feels like the Davos rebuild is a bit fresher. I don't think either will be that much better than the other though. 

3. What is your VHL hot take for S71?

DC upsets Seattle and Vancouver in the playoffs to make the finals. STHS favors an all expansion finals with DC and Moscow. Or perhaps; the league record i hits will get broken by more than one player this season. :P 

4. We've got a little bit of cap room going into the season, should we; a) pick up an inactive dman to take ice time away from our bots, b) accrue some to buy some help at the deadline, or c) hand out some bonuses?

I think the advantage of having cap in this era is probably one that is worth hanging on to see how the team does. If we remain competitive for the first burst of the season I think it'll make sense to hunker down and save it to buy some help at the deadline to push us over the edge. I think the bonuses thing really only applies to rebuilders, and now that DC is in the think of it with a decent starter and an improving club, trying to make a push for the right price is probably the best play. 

5. Our friend Pekka Pouta was sent away to Davos to make room for FA pickup JB Rift. Do you have any nice words to send Pouta on his way?

Yeah, he rules. I really do appreciate it. I know starts are hard to come by right now, lots of teams still have two goalies. Active players of varying degrees of TPA are all battling for starter positions. I hope Pouta plays spoiler with Davos to non DC teams and has a good last of his career. 

6. Will rookie goaltender Wolski push Rift for starts by the end of the season?

Maybe? Tough to say, as I won't be retiring Rift at deadline or anything and I'm already 160+ TPA ahead. By the time playoffs roll around I'll be for sure a 600+ TPA starter and he'll likely just be pushing 500 TPA. I think that it's likely Rift will play less than the 64 games, but I don't know if it'll be by a large margin. I could see Rift palying 56 for example, with Wolski getting maybe double the starts a back up usually gets. However smart money is on Wolski likely playing against the Davos and Toronto's of the league. Save your higher TPA starter for the better teams and spread the starts around at the same time. 

23 hours ago, Enorama said:

Countdown to season start (two more days!)

4. We've got a little bit of cap room going into the season, should we; a) pick up an inactive dman to take ice time away from our bots, b) accrue some to buy some help at the deadline, or c) hand out some bonuses?

5. Our friend Pekka Pouta was sent away to Davos to make room for FA pickup JB Rift. Do you have any nice words to send Pouta on his way?

1) I'd say either 2nd or 3rd, some teams got worse and need a little bit of re-tooling, while we are young and getting better every season.
2) Feel bad for picking on Davos at his point, but they are the weaker team.
3) Mikko Aaltonen is a + player for the first time since S67.
4) I think wait until the deadline is the play, we should be pretty good but the SIM sometimes loves playing tricks, can use spare cap to get some help at the deadline.
5) He knows he was and always will be a D.C dragon, absolute legend.
6) Looking at TPE, I'd say Rift is probably gonna be the clear starter this year, which might be good, warm up Wolski for the eventual starter position.

Edited by GRZ

On 3/23/2020 at 1:17 PM, Enorama said:

1. I think 4th

2. ouch, I'm gonna say Davos cause I'm not gonna vote against my own team XD

3. The legion make the playoffs

4. Bonuses, help the active players be able to earn more by letting them buy a thing or 2 from the store or help the veterans not get hit as hard by depreciation.

5. Best of luck man, we're both gonna need it.

6. I played against him in the playoffs, he battle hard so I know he'll push for more starts.

On 3/23/2020 at 1:17 PM, Enorama said:

1. Like others have said here, top 3. 2nd or 3rd, I'd say. We are one of the big growing teams right now.

2. Davos, probably. They are basement dwellers.

3. DC Dragons are going to go further in the playoffs than people think.

4. Wait until the deadline to make those decisions. If we're in a strong spot, then grab someone to push us over the hump.

5. Pouta was a great player, and is an awesome user. I didn't know him for long with DC since I just got here, but that's the gist I get from him.

6. It's all about TPE for goalies basically, so I'd say Rift is likely to keep that starting spot. He has over 150 more.

I'm banking on being for us to be somewhere between 1st and 3rd cause of the hot start we've been on!

Unfortunately, I'm thinking Davos. No one wants to be crowned last.

Dragons go past the first round of the playoffs and Valentino finally becomes a + player in the first time of his career.

Wait it out a bit to scope out any options for help at the before the deadline or signing an inactive Dman.

Pouta may you get all the ice time on Davos my dude, you're dearly missed!

Call this a hot take, I'm thinking yes! I think he'll start as back up and then start splitting before taking over later in the season.

And we're rolling

1. 10 games in, what's the more surprising story: Toronto being .500 or New York being tied for last?

2. We currently find ourselves sitting in 4th place in the league, 2nd in the NA conference, but we're at a -1 goal differential. How can we prod our offense into producing more?

3. Do regular season results dictate who wins the expansion race between us and Prague or does none of that matter until one of us wins a cup?

4. Michael Johnson sports a .953SV% for Malmo after ten games. How sustainable is this?

5. Once again, our scoring has started out quite even. By around the game 7 mark everyone had at least one point. What are your thoughts on the evenness of the lineup?

6. Our man Frostbeard has started the season angry, leading the league with nearly 5 hits per game, what made him so mad?

1. 10 games in, what's the more surprising story: Toronto being .500 or New York being tied for last?

New York being tied for last.  They fought us pretty hard last season, if I remember right.  Still.  Only 10 games.

2. We currently find ourselves sitting in 4th place in the league, 2nd in the NA conference, but we're at a -1 goal differential. How can we prod our offense into producing more?

Give Lesieur the puck more.  lol

3. Do regular season results dictate who wins the expansion race between us and Prague or does none of that matter until one of us wins a cup?

I think there is something in consistently winning more in the regular season, but I will say, we all play for the Cup!

4. Michael Johnson sports a .953SV% for Malmo after ten games. How sustainable is this?

Seems pretty high.  I say it comes down.

5. Once again, our scoring has started out quite even. By around the game 7 mark everyone had at least one point. What are your thoughts on the evenness of the lineup?

Not sure it's that uneven.  Four of our top 6 forwards have 3 goals each and Mikko has one extra.  Spread on points is only 5-8.

6. Our man Frostbeard has started the season angry, leading the league with nearly 5 hits per game, what made him so mad?

I heard that after one of our early wins, he heard a yapper say, "fluke".

32 minutes ago, Enorama said:

And we're rolling

New York being tied for last, they were so close to making the playoffs last season, just missing out and so it's a surprise to see that group of players not faring so well.

I think we've faced some strong defences and our goal scoring will return to it's usual form in time.

I think they do matter to an extent, it's a measure of a teams overall performance, where post-season success can come and

I don't think it's sustainable no, unless the defence keeps a laser focus thorugh the enitre season and that's not too likely.

I think it's a great sign of a roster built well, the doors are still open for someone to go nuclear and score a tonne but also if any single player has an off game they can ride the bench for a bit and the rest of the team will carry them through. It takes a lot of pressure of our shoulders knowing our teammates can all produce at a high level.

I think @KC15  popcorned his car, he was pretty pissed about that, he said he had toffee smell coming from his air con for weeks.

On 3/30/2020 at 8:39 AM, Enorama said:

And we're rolling

1. New York being tied for last. Looking at their roster you’d think they’d be top in the standings by now (next to us of course)

2. Getting more shots up or looking into our defense more. After all, the best offense is a better defense. 

3. I’d say it’s a mix of both. A team could win one title but still be horrible every other season where as another team could be playoff bound every season but never win a title. I’d lean towards regular season rather than a title.

4. Malmo is a pretty solid team and happen to be a team with the least goals scored on so far. Johnson’s SV% may not be sustainable but it could be pretty damn close to it

5. I like it. It also means everyone is trying to contribute. Definitely not a bad thing at all

6. Probably the fact that we didn’t win it all last season

I'd say New York tied for last, I've played with a few of the players in the VHLM and they're no slouches. I'm sure they'll dig themselves out of it.

Building more chemistry, not just with lines but also with D pairs as well on and off the ice and really dial in on both ends on the floor and understanding how to utilize all talents as one.

Regular season is a decent guage but hte ultimate goals has to be the ultimate prize: winning the Cup

Bravo to Johnson for posting such an impressive SV% but it's really up to him, the defense and the opposing team's offense to dictate whether it's sustainable.

Referring back to questions 2, I think this is the right idea in how we can get the whole cast involved. Now it's just a matter of ironing out what lines work best with whom involved.

Whatever it is he's drinking, I'm hoping he shares it with the team cause I think a touch of aggressiveness and grit can definitely help us get into the heads of our opponents and really set the tone. 

On 3/30/2020 at 5:39 PM, Enorama said:

And we're rolling

1) New York, but I'm sure they will bounce back eventually.
2) get pucks in deep.
3) First to cup wins the race.
4) It's impressive but I don't think he will keep it up for that long.
5) Awesome to see that everyone is doing their part in making this D.C dragons machine move forward.
6) Frosty is showing the league that he isn't only an elite scorer, this guy can lay some nasty hits too.

Probably Toronto, I thought they may take a bump up and it is still early but they are clawing trying to keep a playoff spot alive. New Yorks struggles I feel like are only at the expense of how well TOR has done. 

Growth, line juggling, finding the right balance? It's a tough thing scoring in this current era, and finding success for any player on a consistent basis has proved somewhat challenging. The good thing is we are still a competing team despite the goal differential, so that means if we can find the goal scoring watch out. 

None of it matters until you win a Cup. If neither team wins a Cup for 10 seasons, then sure to split hairs one might argue that the team who had more regular season success or more consistent success is the better franchise, but your pretty much not on the blip until you get the luck to win the big team prize. It will be interesting watching Malmo, Prague and DC now that Moscow has become the first of the newest expansion teams to win a Cup. With Vancouver also getting a win out of the way post name change, pretty much the only uncharted waters left in that department. 

I'd say not at all. Of late the top goalies who have finished the season barely in the mid to high .920's all had way more severe stats earlier in the season. It isn't even that people struggle a lot more, it's that a few shutouts or a few great games in the first 15-20 games stand out for goalies more on the overall percentage factors. As the shot totals climb you get a better picture of how hit and miss a lot of them can be. In the old days a top goalie not finishing above .930 was way less heard of, where as now finishing above that at all is basically god tier, as it's so hard to maintain your stats as the season rolls along in the position. 

The one advantage to good overall team scoring is that everyone is sharing the load and everyone gets a little bit of success. Still it'd be useful to have a few break outs on the offensive side just to make up for any team deficiencies in other areas. 

It was probably watching Moscow be the first expansion to win last season, or he just has decided the time is now to hit, hit and hit until he can't hit hit and hit no more. 

On 3/30/2020 at 7:39 AM, Enorama said:

And we're rolling

1. I would say NY being last. They have a lot of great players with lots of TPE, so it's odd for sure.

2. Stone Wolski needs to be more supportive from the bench. This is key.

3. I think the real race is the first one to the cup. Who cares if you dominate for a long time with zero cups while the team you're racing against gets one first?

4. I don't think it's sustainable. It's really hard to keep up a save percentage like that in this league, unless you're some legend.

5. Everyone on the team seems to be scoring pretty evenly, and I love to see that. It's always a little tough if you're a depth guy and the top line just dominates while you're left to be average. Individual success always comes 2nd for me, but I definitely know what it's like to be on the shelf on the 2nd line doing pretty average while 2-3 guys just rule your team, while you wish you had the chance up there.

6. He really wants the league to know that he is a force to be reckoned with.

On 3/30/2020 at 7:39 AM, Enorama said:

And we're rolling

1. Me keeping the legion close to .500

2. Switching line would be the obvious choice, maybe adjust the pp unit?

3. I think the cup is the ultimate victory in an expansion race, who gets it first is what people will remember the most.

4. Not sustainable at all imo, even if he keeps playing amazingly well I would still say he drops down into the .930% range.

5. I think it's good, knowing that you can get scoring from every line, shows the team has depth.

6. Not making the playoffs last season?

On 3/30/2020 at 11:39 AM, Enorama said:

And we're rolling

1. New York has always sucked will always suck. Not surprised.

2. Let Hogan get assists against you and I'll let you score.

3. Both of you suck supreme ass.

4. I dont know, but I do know something that is sustainable and that's recycling, everyone recycle.

5. I hate every member maybe not 1.

6. Playing with yours truly.

Boring generic questions because we're in the dog days of the season.

1. What are you doing to keep yourself busy during this pandemic?

2. If you had to watch any sport other than the big four North American ones, which would it be?

3. Who would win in a fight, Charles Drumm or Hulk Hogan?

4. If you could only drink one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?

5. Stranded on a desert island, what's the one thing you bring with you?

6. What is your favourite video game you have ever played?

On 4/6/2020 at 11:02 AM, Enorama said:

1. What are you doing to keep yourself busy during this pandemic? lots of cooking, reading and pushups

2. If you had to watch any sport other than the big four North American ones, which would it be? lacrosse

3. Who would win in a fight, Charles Drumm or Hulk Hogan? Charles Drumm obv

4. If you could only drink one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be? whiskey soda

5. Stranded on a desert island, what's the one thing you bring with you? sunglasses

6. What is your favourite video game you have ever played? oh man tough one there...  maybe final fantasy 7

Still have some work planning services and keeping in touch with people, but also reading and just hanging out with the family.

2. If you had to watch any sport other than the big four North American ones, which would it be?

Probably tennis.  Played enough when younger that I can at least follow some of the strategy and appreciate the players' greatness.

Charles Drumm, I hope.

4. If you could only drink one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?

As much as I love my Gin & Tonic, if it were truly only one thing it would have to be water.

Maybe a Bible or a Book of Common Prayer - or maybe a solar powered laptop with cellular data capability.

Mass Effect, Oblivion or Jeanne d'Arc for PSP.

On 4/6/2020 at 9:02 AM, Enorama said:

1. I'm an essential worker, so I've been working every day still! Other than that.....I try to go for a bike ride a lot or run around my neighborhood. Also trying to make due with the big lack of weights and workout equipment I have at my house. I guess something is better than nothing though.

2. KC said tennis. I'd probably choose the same thing. I actually enjoy watching it when the big events are on.

3. Gotta go with Drumm here. Although if it were the real Hulk Hogan than I don't know.

4. Iced tea. I love that shit.

5. A guide to survival book.

6. Final Fantasy X. Shadow of the Colossus. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Mass Effect 2. That's a hard one.

On 4/6/2020 at 7:02 PM, Enorama said:

1) Play some games, watch some movies, and try to ignore everything that's happening.
2) Probably go with boxing, watched it couple of times, pretty entertaining.
3) My mans Drumm would knock hogan into next week.
4) I'm probably boring with this one but I love water, easy answer
5) knife, I'd conquer that island and make it mine.
6) This is a tough one, purely BEST made game I've played is without a doubt Witcher 3, absolute beauty of a game, but in terms of memories and nostalgia probably GTA SA or Spyro/Crash on the playstation.

Cooking more, trying to eat healthy every day and sleep at normal times. Pretty much trying to keep immune system up. Otherwise it's been mostly a lot of show watching/catching up. Recently finishing up catching up on Vikings, but I pounded through all of TWD and Westworld not that long ago, as well as some one off stuff like Altered Carbon and Picard. Even begun the old 90's show Farscape. The odd gaming too, playing Jedi Fallen Order. Weekly yoga and meditation too because I'm old and shit like that helps keep you from being too in pain/insane lol. 

Big four? (NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB?) If so, UFC because I watch it and NHL mostly anyways. Like when it was on I hadn't missed a UFC card other than one or two for a good 7 years now? Prelims included, as I prefer to watch them anyways half the time. Although I did catch NBA playoffs often. If it's not UFC if it counts as a sport wrestilng, but only AEW because fuck WWE and Vince McMahon. 

Charles Drumm. @Hulk Hogan is just QT Marshall in disguise and anyone can beat him up. 

Hmm that's a weird question. Like...a human needs water to survive so isn't that the default answer? Unless your implying on top of water. If that is the case then I'd probably choose...orange juice? Alcohol was good and then I got old, but even then I don't want scurvy and the ability to never drink fruit juices is rough for me since I get a lot of my vitamin C from juices as opposed to actual food product. So for health reason I'd say some no pulp OJ.

A kindle with 10,000 books I either love and want to re-read or haven't read and want to read. Easiest answer in the world. Man it'd be so peaceful to not have to like, hear car horns or the hustle and bustle of broken ass industrial society while reading that provided there was enough food to forage and survive that would be ideal living for a year. 

This question is far too loaded for me. I have favorite differing things about games, and if I had to go into the whole thing my answer would be some nuanced mess. For the purpose of ease I'll just list the three games that for whatever reason have spoke to me the most over the years. Legend of Zelda Orcarina of Time, Super Mario 3, and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I regularly re-play and beat the first two games listed and while it's been a while since I returned to Oblivion even in the mod era, Bethesda's refusal to re-release or remaster that game, or just straight up remake it remains a frustration thing for me. The fact that somehow Skryim (a solid game in it's own right) got ported to so many systems yet we can't just get a good Oblivion remake always bums me out. Skryim is probably a "better" game, but Oblivion spoke to me way more for so many reasons. 

Unfortunately I'm still going to work cause I'm apparently "essential"... *Sad Noises*

I'm trying to get back into WWE, but it's tough when all my favs have retired already. Other than that, I do enjoy watching Soccer, particularly Juventus and Bayern Munich.

Drumm could take Hulkmania any day of the week.

Chocolate Milk, nothing better!

A yacht so I can sail the hell out of there ?

As a kid, the WWF Smackdown game for PS1 was my fav. But now, I've hung my wrestling jockstrap for a pirate hat cause I've been a Big Fan of Sea of Thieves since Alpha Testing it. ☠️

If i'm not working as an essential worker I'm spending a lot of time with my SO and family. Mostly gaming too..caved and bought Animal Crossing cause why not.

Dodgeball seems dope ngl. I've also always liked volleyball too!

Hulk Hogan

Five Alive Passion Peach Citrus.

A survival kit? that counts as one thing right?

Tough since I have so many different favorites. Would have to go with the Super Smash bros series. Any one of them since I played all of them aha ?

On 4/6/2020 at 9:02 AM, Enorama said:

1. Learning how to cook, eating burnt food.

2. Tennis! Go Rafa.

3. Bruce Lee.

4. Strawberry milkshakes.

5. Maybe some sunscreen.

6. Big fan of the Fallout series. 

More boring generic questions since we're mid season.

1. How are you feeling in this pandemic?

2. What is your favourite hobbies besides sports?

3. What individual awards are you going for this season?

4. How have you been keeping fit during this crazy time?

5. Who is your bestest VHL buddy?

6. Who is your favourite NHL player of all time?