don't let BoG make predictions

rory

the people who vote on awards get TPE if the people they vote for are the people they predict? current system leaves this up for abuse by BoG members.

give them average prediction tpe earned or something 

• Commissioner

Based on seeing how BOG discuss awards and vote on them I have never remotely seen proof of any BOG member trying to gain themselves more TPE from predictions. All they do is discuss based on the stats and vote based on the discussions.

I also don’t care for the rhetoric of “these active guys in the league who do a bunch, for free, to improve the league deserve to get less for their efforts.

Like I said, I don’t think it’s a problem that needs a solution but if we were to do anything it would probably be that BOG a guys automatically get the average return instead of getting nothing but honestly I’d wager that most of them would likely go up if that were the case. Out of curiosity, how did the BOG members do on predictions this year to even warrant this?

I'm sorry rory but this is not your brightest idea. I doubt any BOG member, who rose to their stature because they are responsible, respectable, and are close to leading the league, would purposefully slide a few votes one way for a measly TPE or two.

Also, why BoGs specifically? Wouldn't the GMs need to be barred from doing predictions as well because they're also involved in the voting?

• Commissioner
Just now, jhatty8 said:

Also, why BoGs specifically? Wouldn't the GMs need to be barred from doing predictions as well because they're also involved in the voting?

GM’s only do VHLM awards which have no predictions. VHL awards are the BOG.

1 minute ago, Beketov said:

GM’s only do VHLM awards which have no predictions. VHL awards are the BOG.

Strange. I see the point behind it, but seems weird to not let the VHL/VHLM GMs vote for their own league's awards considering they should be the most familiar with it, and thus the most qualified.

• Commissioner
Just now, jhatty8 said:

Strange. I see the point behind it, but seems weird to not let the VHL/VHLM GMs vote for their own league's awards considering they should be the most familiar with it, and thus the most qualified.

The VHL GM’s used to. Voting started to become bias and problematic so we moved it to the BOG

• Admin
1 minute ago, jhatty8 said:

Used to be the case for about 50 seasons, then one GM had to go and ruin it for everyone.

5 minutes ago, jhatty8 said:

I'm sorry rory but this is not your brightest idea.

But what is?

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, Victor said:

then one GM had to go and ruin it for everyone

I mean it had faults before then. Both are better than the awards committee though.

22 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Based on seeing how BOG discuss awards and vote on them I have never remotely seen proof of any BOG member trying to gain themselves more TPE from predictions. All they do is discuss based on the stats and vote based on the discussions.

I also don’t care for the rhetoric of “these active guys in the league who do a bunch, for free, to improve the league deserve to get less for their efforts.

Like I said, I don’t think it’s a problem that needs a solution but if we were to do anything it would probably be that BOG a guys automatically get the average return instead of getting nothing but honestly I’d wager that most of them would likely go up if that were the case. Out of curiosity, how did the BOG members do on predictions this year to even warrant this?

yeah because if i was going to be a scumbag i'd say "I'M VOTING FOR ____ BECAUSE I PREDICTED HIM"

"who do a bunch" kekw

i just don't see why you wouldn't close a system that's open to abuse

• Commissioner
15 minutes ago, rory said:

yeah because if i was going to be a scumbag i'd say "I'M VOTING FOR ____ BECAUSE I PREDICTED HIM"

"who do a bunch" kekw

i just don't see why you wouldn't close a system that's open to abuse

I already answered that:

40 minutes ago, Beketov said:

You are trying to solve a problem that doesn’t exist based on hypothetical situations that have never occurred. Even if 1 BOG member did that (again, no proof, and we can see who they predicted and who they voted for, plus the BOG doesn’t pick the ballot) they wouldn’t be swaying the choice really because it’s just 1 vote.

By all means go tally how much BOG members get in predictions against the average and see if there’s any kind of trend where they do better but I’d be stunned if there is.

• Commissioner
6 minutes ago, rory said:

okay nerds just nobody HAS ever done it, doesn't mean nobody ever will do it 

i see something that could be exploited and i offered a replacement ok

Like I said, maybe giving them the average instead of straight predictions but I’d wager most of them would actually go up. I don’t think punishing them for a job that doesn’t pay already seems reasonable