A Self Reflection on 60 Seasons in the VHL

Advantage

A Self Reflection on 60 Seasons in the VHL

For those that do not know, this was my sixtieth season in the Victory Hockey League.  Normally, I sit here and do a VSN article on the BOG or potentially a podcast with friends, but with there being limited to report on behind the scenes, and friends celebrating Easter, I choose to reflect instead.  I haven’t always been someone that was all that well known around these leagues, with me generally being more of a football sim-leaguer for much of my time prior to VHL.  

That being said, after being selected in the second round of the famously stacked Season 18 Draft, I had a short spell of inactivity that led to me being traded about a half a season into my second campaign with Gothenburg.  After being traded by the Riga Reign, I was contacted immediately by @Kendrick, the GM of the Helsinki Titans, and he was able to get me back to the league.  That player would then go on to break a VHL record that still hasn’t been topped, with 98 assists being recorded in his rookie season.  Michael Angelo would go down as my first player in the VHL and he ended up being someone that won Rookie of the Year, broke records, won a Continental Cup and even had his number retired by Helsinki at the end of his career.

It was a pretty good start for me and I really hit it out of the park with my next two in Ryan Sullivan and Brick Wahl, my only two VHL Hall of Fame players.  Honestly though, I could talk about any of the eleven players I have created in the Victory Hockey League, but the league has been so much more than that for me.

To start, it still is one of the main reasons I did not do so well in University.  Not to say that isn’t my fault, but the Victory Hockey League suckered me in and took a lot of time out of me….and I don’t regret that whatsoever.  I love this league and it has meant so much to me over the last eleven years.  It’s crazy to be turning thirty this year and seeing so many young kids now experiencing this league just like I did when I was still in my teenage years.  I’m sure that’s a sentiment that other long-time members of this league can share.  Heck, old geezers like @Beketov and Kendrick have been here since day one.  We have even seen members from the old days like @McKelvie and @v.2 return and get to experience this league all over again, but a much more updated and modern version focused on making this league simplistic and streamlined.  

I’m writing this to you, completely blazed out of my mind, not entirely sure what I’m trying to say...but with the complete interest in sharing with all of you what this league has meant to me, and why I hope it continues to change people’s lives for the better.  I have talked to members who have said it’s helped their writing ability, their creativity, launched them into graphics creation, scratched that itch when they're bored and even, in the case of me, be that friend when you feel lonely on a Saturday evening.  

One of the best examples is the friends I have made here.  For those that don’t know, I am getting married in September of 2022 (just recently booked the venue!) and I have three amazing guys standing off to the side for it.  One will be @Jericho, who has been one of my closest friends since we met several years ago, and someone who is easily one of the most loyal friends you could have.  Another is @Devise, who to this day is probably the friend I have the most in common with, from hockey to mma to wrestling to even movies and video games.  And another will be my good friend @duckberg32 who I go the furthest back with, being a regular football leaguer himself, but also someone I have reconnected with since Jericho’s wedding a couple of years ago.  I met all three of these guys over the course of time in these leagues, with two of them coming directly from it.  I have met many other people that I would call my friend or at least someone I can confide in whenever I need to.  People like @BOOM, @Banackock, @diamond_ace , @Tagger, @Phil@STZ and @GustavMattias.  I very much am an example of someone who grew closer to some of his sim league friends than the ones he had in real life, but I found they were the most loyal of all at times.  

This league loves to challenge and I’ve honestly experienced that recently.  I had the option of teams to GM in the VHLM and chose the one I thought would be the hardest to rebuild, and at times I regret that decision.  Being in a situation with no picks and no players can be pretty hard to process, but honestly it has been a fun challenge and one that I think I will grow from.  That’s the awesome thing about this league.  I have spent over thirty-five seasons in this league as a GM in either the VHL or the VHLM; I was a long-time member of a VHL Magazine; a former VHLM Commissioner and finally, a long-time Board of Governors member, yet I still learn new things all the time.

There was a time only about thirty seasons ago where I thought the league was on the verge of dying, but now I can honestly say we are the healthiest we have ever been.  We recently brought in dozens of players from a Youtube Advertisement from a pretty popular streamer and have continued to develop the league with expansions all over the place in the last decade.  And while this certainly came off a little gushy, this league is still the one consistent thing in my life over the last eleven years.  For that, I hope the league lasts forever, even if there comes a time where I can’t be a participant in it any longer.  For now though, I look forward to my next player and another eleven years.

Edited by Advantage

On 4/4/2021 at 4:57 AM, JardyB10 said:

Love popping in and seeing stuff like this. The VHL really is a special place. :)

(Also congrats on your upcoming marriage to Device! :P(That emoji is kind of gross but that's fine) :P:P:P

Congrats on your marriage to the llama!

Wow when I read the title I was excited because getting a look back or even seeing someone who was around that long ago is really a cool sight. But please indent your paragraphs...I drives me nutty when people dont do that but 9.8/10

22 hours ago, Xflexz said:

Wow when I read the title I was excited because getting a look back or even seeing someone who was around that long ago is really a cool sight. But please indent your paragraphs...I drives me nutty when people dont do that but 9.8/10

Sorry typing 1000+ words on a phone makes it challenging to format.

On 4/4/2021 at 3:57 AM, JardyB10 said:

Love popping in and seeing stuff like this. The VHL really is a special place. :)

(Also congrats on your upcoming marriage to Device! :P(That emoji is kind of gross but that's fine) :P:P:P

Holy fuck Jardy is back?

5 minutes ago, JardyB10 said:

He has a nice voice 🥰

Maybe probably maybe, yeah!

How's farmer life? have you looked back at the drunk thread yet?

Edited by Kyle

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

How's farmer life? have you looked back at the drunk thread yet?

I only help at the farm sporadically, but I suppose it's okay! I read my first post, I don't know if I have the stomach to read through all my public drunken cringe tale from my early to mid-20s though. 😬

But I'll let everyone know the next time I'm inebriated for old times sake.

Edited by JardyB10

25 minutes ago, JardyB10 said:

I only help at the farm sporadically, but I suppose it's okay! I read my first post, I don't know if I have the stomach to read through all my public drunken cringe tale from my early to mid-20s though. 😬

Llama thread my man.  Miss that story with Molly.

3 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

that's exactly why i need you to go back and read it