The One about the Third League

Beketov

I propose that the VHLE teams are re-drafted every season. It's fresh, it's exciting. Teams won't be managed in the same exact way as VHLM teams where the GM's have to be thinking about who is going to graduate and drafting based on that. The number of teams could be adjusted each season based on how many players are at that stage of their career. I would also propose that teams can't trade draft picks, so there's no tanking one year to stockpile picks. Honestly, maybe no transactions at all.

• Commissioner
6 hours ago, scoop said:

I propose that the VHLE teams are re-drafted every season. It's fresh, it's exciting. Teams won't be managed in the same exact way as VHLM teams where the GM's have to be thinking about who is going to graduate and drafting based on that. The number of teams could be adjusted each season based on how many players are at that stage of their career. I would also propose that teams can't trade draft picks, so there's no tanking one year to stockpile picks. Honestly, maybe no transactions at all.

1. Changing the amount of teams every season sounds like hell on the simmer.

2. The whole ideology is to make it a competitive environment vs. the M’s job being about retention. Having to build exclusively off a single draft and nothing else completely kills that concept.

55 minutes ago, Beketov said:

1. Changing the amount of teams every season sounds like hell on the simmer.

2. The whole ideology is to make it a competitive environment vs. the M’s job being about retention. Having to build exclusively off a single draft and nothing else completely kills that concept.

You can say it'll be competitive all you want, but the nature of the E will likely be be exactly the same as the M. Teams lose their best players every season, so there's no sense in keeping good players if your team isn't going to make the playoffs.  So the bottom teams will sell, accumulate picks, and we'll just have that same cycle.

• Commissioner
19 minutes ago, scoop said:

You can say it'll be competitive all you want, but the nature of the E will likely be be exactly the same as the M. Teams lose their best players every season, so there's no sense in keeping good players if your team isn't going to make the playoffs.  So the bottom teams will sell, accumulate picks, and we'll just have that same cycle.

Losing a couple of players every season and re-drafting the entire league every season are very different. I’d wager you underestimate how long some people take between 200 and 400 TPE. Teams won’t be losing all their players every year.

Re-drafting every season, in my opinion, is a logistical mess with very little benefit.

2 hours ago, scoop said:

This is very likely true.

Yeah with the amount of Welfare+PF for 6 TPE a week out there...it definitely will take a little time for some.

Those who hit the 12/12 every week won't spend much (or potentially any) time there though.

3 hours ago, scoop said:

This is very likely true.

Yeah one of the things provided to us throughout this process from a great member in @rjfryman was a full breakdown of our player base count, what TPE they were at by bracket. The last one we had before finalizing our decisions and moving forward on naming and other issues was provided on April 19th, so it'll be about a month out of date.

Spoiler
Total Number of Players Updated: 328
Less than 100 TPE Update: 25
100 to 199 TPE Update: 68
200 to 250 TPE Update: 26
250 to 299 TPE Update: 23
300 to 399 TPE Update: 39
400 to 499 TPE Update: 30
500 to 599 TPE Update: 27
600 to 699 TPE Update: 27
700 to 799 TPE Update: 18
800 to 899 TPE Update: 13
900 to 999 TPE Update: 8
Over 1000 TPE Update: 24
Lost in my math: 0
SEASON BREAK DOWN: {70=>3, 71=>13, 72=>26, 73=>28, 74=>40, 75=>61, 76=>44, 77=>56, 78=>57}

*As of April 18th 2021

The one thing that people need to remember, the portal has created a lot more casual users who are totally fine waiting to get to the VHL until their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seasons depending on the player. More over, when we talk about player tiers being stuffed, this is an example of what we mean. In the current format, looking at just that list from last season VHL rosters are to be expected to find reasonable minutes for a so many players in that 300-499 tier that attribute wise are/can be competing for stats depending on the team make up. On top of the 250+ that are already either in the VHL or pushing to be in their rookie seasons. It just leads to a lot of positional overload and stress on the overall player pool in general.

I obviously get that some will see the VHLE as a pretty big change, and rightfully so; it is. However we also were faced with the the inevitable reality that we simply have too large of a consistent player base for the league as it was constructed. Which means some sort of shake up was in order. Considering the support and history the league has had for the 6-4-1 system, how well it has integrated from a stats perspective for us with STHS, balancing out rosters with a third league is a pretty natural way to maintain that structure. 

45 minutes ago, Devise said:

Yeah one of the things provided to us throughout this process from a great member in @rjfryman was a full breakdown of our player base count, what TPE they were at by bracket. The last one we had before finalizing our decisions and moving forward on naming and other issues was provided on April 19th, so it'll be about a month out of date.

Hide contents
Total Number of Players Updated: 328
Less than 100 TPE Update: 25
100 to 199 TPE Update: 68
200 to 250 TPE Update: 26
250 to 299 TPE Update: 23
300 to 399 TPE Update: 39
400 to 499 TPE Update: 30
500 to 599 TPE Update: 27
600 to 699 TPE Update: 27
700 to 799 TPE Update: 18
800 to 899 TPE Update: 13
900 to 999 TPE Update: 8
Over 1000 TPE Update: 24
Lost in my math: 0
SEASON BREAK DOWN: {70=>3, 71=>13, 72=>26, 73=>28, 74=>40, 75=>61, 76=>44, 77=>56, 78=>57}

*As of April 18th 2021

The one thing that people need to remember, the portal has created a lot more casual users who are totally fine waiting to get to the VHL until their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seasons depending on the player. More over, when we talk about player tiers being stuffed, this is an example of what we mean. In the current format, looking at just that list from last season VHL rosters are to be expected to find reasonable minutes for a so many players in that 300-499 tier that attribute wise are/can be competing for stats depending on the team make up. On top of the 250+ that are already either in the VHL or pushing to be in their rookie seasons. It just leads to a lot of positional overload and stress on the overall player pool in general.

I obviously get that some will see the VHLE as a pretty big change, and rightfully so; it is. However we also were faced with the the inevitable reality that we simply have too large of a consistent player base for the league as it was constructed. Which means some sort of shake up was in order. Considering the support and history the league has had for the 6-4-1 system, how well it has integrated from a stats perspective for us with STHS, balancing out rosters with a third league is a pretty natural way to maintain that structure. 

The breakdown (which was very well done @rjfryman) really puts the VHLE into perspective... in my opinion anyway. 

Assuming the league continues with that trend, all three leagues will be comfortably populated. 

So nobody considered that naming it like...off the top of my head...the European Victory League would be a better name? EVL?

11 minutes ago, Jericho said:

So nobody considered that naming it like...off the top of my head...the European Victory League would be a better name? EVL?

No.

• Commissioner
12 minutes ago, Jericho said:

It was 100% an option, and voted on. A few people preferred it but the vast majority voted against it. Last I saw the vote was I think 13-3.

Personally I agree that EVL sounds better (and funnily sounds like it should be Evil) but we wanted the follow the naming convention that we already had in place.

• Commissioner
3 minutes ago, Frank said:

What about VEHL?

@Beketov

That was the other option, it didn’t receive any votes.

The name was actually the last thing I think we decided. We’ve been calling it the E League for 6 months.

Just now, Beketov said:

That was the other option, it didn’t receive any votes.

The name was actually the last thing I think we decided. We’ve been calling it the E League for 6 months.

LHVE

En français.

2 hours ago, Jericho said:

2 hours ago, Frank said:

What about VEHL?

@Beketov

image.thumb.png.c4d0894e59f9b0c503020aac4bc2c986.png

6 minutes ago, bigAL said:

Next season Moscow will all be rolled back to 399 TPA and play in the E (and probably still lose because Simon)

i mean like the team, the players get switched

Edited by GrittyIsKing09