VSN Presents: VHL`s Future Watch: Top 10 Rookie Ranking

VHLFutureStarscopy.jpg.0ada8764751d89095087e542f64a7734.jpg

This season the VSN wanted to run a Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy watch: the award that goes to the top rookie. It should be an interesting season to watch/follow the rookies as we have a total of twenty-six rookies made up of fourteen Forwards, seven defenders and five goalies so let’s look at the start of the season ranking the top ten. Later in the year we will revisit and update the top ten list based around performance.

Top 10 Ranking

1.     (S90) Goaltender – WWWWWWWWWWWWWWW @rory

:nya:     New York Americans

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWW spent a full extra season in the VHLE last season developing after many though he would make the jump to the Americans last season so having a extra year of development now means he is more than ready for the jump to the VHL but is he may be a bit too ripe now. I also wanted to penalize this player to breaking the portal with his name but decided for now I won`t!!

2.     (S91) Defenceman - Leif Reingaard  @Zetterberg

:mos:   Moscow Menace

The small, fast, smooth puck handling defender spent a season in the VHLE to further develop after being draft 3rd overall in S91 by the Menace. Reingaard will see if his smooth quick puck moving style can translate over into the VHL; which most think it will.

3.     (S91) Defenceman - Callum Gary Yannick Janser @Daniel Janser

:nya:    New York Americans

The second American Rookie in the top three is why there is so much hope and interest in New York this season of the Americans making the play-offs. Janser after being selected 1st overall in S91 draft spent a season developing in the VHLE with Vasteras Iron Eagles; where he actually struggled to put up huge numbers. The talent is there and it is just a matter of time that this big bruising defender gets it to come all together.

4.     (S91) Right Winger - Thor Reingaard @N0HBDY

:war:   Warsaw Predators

Crazy to think this player could have been lining up for an already talented and rookie packed line-up as Moscow Menace had but a trade just before the S92 draft seen this talented prospect traded to Warsaw; where he will now make his rookie debut. Reingaard is a strong offensive talent that also struggled in Vasteras last season in the VHLE but as he develops his puck handling ability should become a bigger threat in the VHL.

5.     (S91) Goaltender - Olober Syko @Spartan

:mos:   Moscow Menace

Olober Syko is the second goalie to make the list so far and would have been my early favorite for the Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy based on the season that he had in Stockholm last season with an impressive 0.938Sav% and 7 shutouts but a young inexperienced team has knocked him back slightly on this list but I have feeling he might steal a few games for Moscow this season and could be a huge reason they sneak into the play-off. We will see how his game translate to the next level.

6.      (S91) Left Winger - Grimgor Ironhide @FrostBeard

:hel:   Helsinki Titans

Has massive shoes to fill as he replaces retired Landon Wolanin @jacobcarson877 but this also means he should get a ton of opportunities to prove himself along side Daryl Dixon @Ricer13 and hopefully find similar chemistry. If he finds the Chemistry with Dixon expect him to rocket up this list. All signs point to Ironhide having himself a very nice season if he can continue the develop and production, he had last season in Stockholm.

7.     (S90) Left Winger - Eric White Jr @Mysterious_Fish

:rig:    Riga Reign

Traded last off-season from D.C. Dragons to Riga as part of swap of 1st round picks, White Jr has slowly developed into a stead after being selected 20th overall in S90 and spending two full seasons in the VHLM and a season in the VHLE with the Cologne Express before making the jump to the VHL this season with Riga. If he continues to put up decent numbers like he did last in Cologne than he should find himself climb up this list.

8.     (S91) Left Winger - Joshua Schwarzer @Velevra

:chi:    Chicago Phoenix

Another player that will be looking to fill some massive shoes left behind by Scotty Sundin @fromtheinside as Schwarzer should get a solid look at top line minutes beside newly acquired Yaroslav Trunov @qripll coming from Malmo Nighthawks during this past off season. If these two can find Chemistry than Chicago might have better than expected offense and a solid case for a Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy winner.

9.     (S90) Left Winger - Martin Kemp @leafsman

:rig:    Riga Reign

The second of two Riga left wingers to make the list is Martin Kemp as it has also been a bit of grind to the VHL after being drafted 10th Overall in S90 draft by Riga. Kemp sent the past two season in the VHLE with the Cologne Express as did his Rookie team mate Eric White Jr @Mysterious_Fish. Riga will hope these two forward can find re-new chemistry and start throwing down some impressive numbers. Kemp could struggle as the seventh forward on the Riga roster but we will see if he can overcome what we think might be a lack of ice time.

10.  (S91) Center - Spanish Moon Moth @Renomitsu

:prg:    Prague Phantoms

Spanish Moon Moth is an interesting prospect as they have dropped a lot since being drafted 4th overall in S91 Draft by the Phantoms but after lack luster rookie season in the VHLE with the Bratislava Watchmen with only 27 pts. Moth really developed nicely last season in Stockholm with an impressive 92 pts so the question most are asking what player is Prague getting this season? The Bratislava or Stockholm player? Moth should have a good look at some point this season as they are likely starting on the wing and might get some playing time beside John Jameson @Frank and Nikolas Kauppi @Tetricide on top line. If they can find chemistry with these two they will be a huge factor in the Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy discussion by season end.

Honorable Mentions:

(S89) LW - Kyle Toms @Ktoms22 – :prg: Prague Phantoms

(S91) G - Dalkr Vidarsson @KaleebtheMighty–  :que:  Vancouver Wolves

(S91) G - Red Panda @Lemorse7 –  :rig: Riga Reign

(S91) C - Phillip Rave @tcookie:mal: Malmo Nighthawks

(S91) D – Mina @Baozi:rig:  Riga Reign

(S90) D - Conference Prince-de-Galles @UnkemptCL4PTP – :mal: Malmo Nighthawks

(S91) RW - Gustav Mattias @Berocka:sea:   Seattle Bears

20 minutes ago, rory said:

Yes I am the #1 rookie in the league, thank you!

congrats rory. CGY will not be productive enough and riding the pine too often to be a ROTY candidate (at least judging from the first two matches)

10 hours ago, Daniel Janser said:

congrats rory. CGY will not be productive enough and riding the pine too often to be a ROTY candidate (at least judging from the first two matches)

Sadly the chances of the defender actually winning this award are very slim as the league votes tend to favor Forwards with around at least 60pts and goaltenders if they have a save % anywhere near 0.920%. The last defenceman to win the award was Bo Johansson (CHI) with 81pts in S83 so it would be nice to see another defender win the award but they would have to have an unreal season; I think.

Expect a lot of changes when the second list comes out since I will have stats to back-up my selections and I assume some of the defenders will drop-off this list with goalies likely to be move onto the list as they are more likely to have good numbers in the new hybrid era.

It should be fun to watch this unfold this year and see all the changes.

I think I might do the next list around the 20 game mark but we will see.

I am think 20 games, 40 game, 60 games and than maybe a final prediction of whom I think should win the award.

Edited by Gaikoku-hito

6 hours ago, Gaikoku-hito said:

Sadly the chances of the defender actually winning this award are very slim as the league votes tend to favor Forwards with around at least 60pts and goaltenders if they have a save % anywhere near 0.920%. The last defenceman to win the award was Bo Johansson (CHI) with 81pts in S83 so it would be nice to see another defender win the award but they would have to have an unreal season; I think.

Expect a lot of changes when the second list comes out since I will have stats to back-up my selections and I assume some of the defenders will drop-off this list with goalies likely to be move onto the list as they are more likely to have good numbers in the new hybrid era.

It should be fun to watch this unfold this year and see all the changes.

I think I might do the next list around the 20 game mark but we will see.

I am think 20 games, 40 game, 60 games and than maybe a final prediction of whom I think should win the award.

as long as I am mentioned all the time im fine with that