Official Videogame Thread

Sandro

• Commissioner
15 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

What I liked about NBA 2k16 MyCareer is how I created a white player and my entire family is black.

I wouldn't have mind the backstory much if there wasn't so much drama. Like I didn't give a shit about Vic and he was actually the most annoying character ever created.

And yeah I agree the commentary was dumb, especially because I suck big time at this game.

Sounds exactly like my experience haha. As odd as it sounds I feel like they should have diversified their cast options a bit based on the player that's created. I felt like I was adopted and that's not even getting into the fact that I had a black twin sister haha.

Vic was definitely very annoying. If it actually had given options instead of forcing me into choices I would have dropped his ass immediately.

I think the mechanics of the game are actually pretty good but 2k needs to figure out how to make players engaged outside of each individual game. I think they tried to do that but went WAY too heavy handed with it. Even with stupid shit, like why would I use my virtual currency to buy a tattoo when I could get actual attributes? That kind of customizing should just be build in.

Yep, it sucks.

1. In order for the story to make sense, you pretty much have to make a black player (it'd be fine, you could say your player was adopted or something, but they really HAD to give you a TWIN sister that guaranteed the story wouldn't work if you made a non-black guy?).

2. Overlong melodramatic cutscenes. Not that I would really know, as I skipped every single one no more than a minute in, but I've heard from other people.

3. Customization issues. Aside from the whole 'you have to be black for it to make sense' thing, they force you to be from New York (which I don't particularly mind, but I know Steam reviewers HATED that), they force a nickname on you, they force you to sound like a phenom even though you come in as a 55 overall scrub that regularly misses open layups, etc.

4. Unoptimized experience. For anyone looking to enjoy starting their mycareer against the default, modern (at the time) roster, too bad, you only get 8 games before the rosters change around and you can finally play all your games. Also, things like making it sound like the game gives you the option to stay in college but then forcing you to go one-and-done is no bueno.

I love a couple of the new things (mainly playing high school/college games), but so much of it seemed like poor design choice to me. Alienating players by forcing a location, nickname and certain decisions on them while also forcing them to ignore the story they worked so hard to craft if their players weren't made the right way is downright stupid to me.

• Commissioner
6 minutes ago, .sniffuM said:

Yep, it sucks.

1. In order for the story to make sense, you pretty much have to make a black player (it'd be fine, you could say your player was adopted or something, but they really HAD to give you a TWIN sister that guaranteed the story wouldn't work if you made a non-black guy?).

2. Overlong melodramatic cutscenes. Not that I would really know, as I skipped every single one no more than a minute in, but I've heard from other people.

3. Customization issues. Aside from the whole 'you have to be black for it to make sense' thing, they force you to be from New York (which I don't particularly mind, but I know Steam reviewers HATED that), they force a nickname on you, they force you to sound like a phenom even though you come in as a 55 overall scrub that regularly misses open layups, etc.

4. Unoptimized experience. For anyone looking to enjoy starting their mycareer against the default, modern (at the time) roster, too bad, you only get 8 games before the rosters change around and you can finally play all your games. Also, things like making it sound like the game gives you the option to stay in college but then forcing you to go one-and-done is no bueno.

I love a couple of the new things (mainly playing high school/college games), but so much of it seemed like poor design choice to me. Alienating players by forcing a location, nickname and certain decisions on them while also forcing them to ignore the story they worked so hard to craft if their players weren't made the right way is downright stupid to me.

Man, I wasn't even thinking of the HS / College part, that's a whole other can of stupid sometimes.

First off, it seems like they intentionally lower the difficulty of those games so that you fit the "superstar" model they seemed to have built for you. Gives a rude awakening come the NBA haha. In HS and College even if I was guarded so could easily drain most shots. In my rookie season I would regularly miss shots even when I was wide open.

Second, they don't adjust any of the commentary to actually reflect what happened during those games. For example, somehow I actually managed to lose the HS final (no idea how) but they mentioned several times in college of I "led my team to a state championship" which, as I said, didn't happen.

Third, they didn't seem to bother getting the rights to most teams in the NCAA. Unless I just HAPPENED to have the exact same teams interested in be between the two different positions I tried which seems unlikely.

Fun fact BTW, virtual currency carries over between modes and saves. I started as a SG and didn't like it so I made a PG save and had the VC I had earned already. In theory you could stockpile a bunch somehow and become an actual decent rookie.

Yeah they only got rights to 8 NCAA teams for it, kinda sucks but it is what it is.

You lost the HS Final? Ouch. :P

VC is an online thing, so you can game it by setting up a regular, 'play now' game at 12 minute quarters (the longer the quarters the more VC you get), turning game speed up to 100 (every second will take about 0.9 seconds), and setting preferred position to small forward (in controller settings). Then plug in your controller and let the game play itself out. Come back about an hour later and enjoy your free 1,000 VC (that and the 2K app were how I made my 2k15 player a beast before I was forced to take him offline).

Edited by .sniffuM

• Commissioner
5 minutes ago, .sniffuM said:

Yeah they only got rights to 8 NCAA teams for it, kinda sucks but it is what it is.

You lost the HS Final? Ouch. :P

VC is an online thing, so you can game it by setting up a regular, 'play now' game at 12 minute quarters (the longer the quarters the more VC you get), turning game speed up to 100 (every second will take about 0.9 seconds), and setting preferred position to small forward (in controller settings). Then plug in your controller and let the game play itself out. Come back about an hour later and enjoy your free 1,000 VC (that and the 2K app were how I made my 2k15 player a beast before I was forced to take him offline).

That makes sense. I kinda figured since I only saw a few teams even playing but I wasn't sure. Kinda odd they didn't get NC or Duke for a Basketball game.

To be fair I didn't lose it the first time. Issue with going PG is that I was trying to pass a lot and didn't really realize that my team was terrible and couldn't be trusted to do anything. I almost lost in College too but that was more because we were up by 14 and my coach put me on the bench; next time I'm on the court we're suddenly losing by 2 with 3 seconds left in the game. Made it work but not exactly ideal haha. I've noticed that kinda thing in the NBA a lot as well. It's almost like it was trying to force drama. I get benched after going on a 15-0 run to get my team up by a lot an suddenly 10 minutes go by and we're losing when i get put back in.

I didn't know about the VC. Not sure I really care about it enough to leave my system doing nothing for an hour but it's good to know haha.

Edited by Beketov

2 minutes ago, Molholt said:

Lol, I've played 2k forever and I didn't know about the VC thing - although I play MyLeague, so I don't need it :/ 

MyLeague used to be the best way to get VC lol

41 minutes ago, Molholt said:

Lol, I've played 2k forever and I didn't know about the VC thing - although I play MyLeague, so I don't need it :/ 

It used to be even easier on 2k13/14 - you could set up a game on 12 minute quarters, save it with 2 seconds left, and every 20 minutes reload that saved game, let it end, and get 1200 VC for it. I used to have a game set up for every quarter length from 12 minutes down to 6. :P

6 hours ago, Beketov said:

It's relatively normal once you get past the stupid first year Spike Lee garbage.

It sucks starting a new career though because you have to go through that garbage again. Who thought that was a good idea?

@.sniffuM haha that's spot on actually.

I mostly get VC because I have a MyGM team or whatever the name and if you manage your team during games, you get VC.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can skip the cutscenes, right?

1 hour ago, enigmatic said:

Also, I'm pretty sure you can skip the cutscenes, right?

I think you can, although the load times for this game are real bad, so I can also see that getting annoying spending over a minute after finishing a game trying to skip a cutscene you don't want to see.

Jeez, just had a match on Overwatch that we won in 2:07 in Volskaya, probably my quickest yet. Guys we beat didn't seem to be that experienced, their Torbjorn was level 46 but all the turrets he placed were level 1 so they just got wiped easy.

On 7/5/2016 at 10:14 AM, enigmatic said:

What I liked about NBA 2k16 MyCareer is how I created a white player and my entire family is black.

Hahaha seriously. I was like awwww it was so nice for that black family to adopt a Croation Power Forward.

On 9.7.2016 at 2:09 AM, YEAH!stlemania said:

Jeez, just had a match on Overwatch that we won in 2:07 in Volskaya, probably my quickest yet. Guys we beat didn't seem to be that experienced, their Torbjorn was level 46 but all the turrets he placed were level 1 so they just got wiped easy.

lol yeah, that doesn't sound like the most skilled team as well :D

I just had a super intense game that went all the way to five rounds on Lijiang. We were so shaky and lost two rounds with 0% progress but ended up winning the game 3-2 after two crazy 99%-99% rounds where we pulled through in what felt like a five minute overtime :)

Still have NBA2k16 sitting around here from PSPlus and want to give that one a try soon, any tips for someone who doesn't really know shit about Basketball?

2 minutes ago, RomanesEuntDomus said:

Still have NBA2k16 sitting around here from PSPlus and want to give that one a try soon, any tips for someone who doesn't really know shit about Basketball?

I've never watched basketball myself, learned it all through the 2K games, but I'd say the top thing as a beginner would be not to force your shot. With enough patience, you should be able to pass to a guy with no defenseman around him,which should convert into an easy basket, as opposed to shooting with two guys right in your face.

Also, if you're unfamiliar with the foul rules, there's team fouls and personal fouls:

Personal fouls is if a player get six fouls over the course of the game, you're ejected

Team fouls, once your team commits their fifth foul in the quarter (or commit two team fouls in the last two minutes of the quarter), they get free throws (which is basically free points in the right hands).

Reason I bring them up is the most common fouls you'll likely make when you're learning is the reach-in foul (which is when you attempt to steal, but get the man instead of the ball), so if you get to a point where you pick up say 4 team fouls but there's still 4-5 minutes left in the game, probably best to avoid attempting steals for the rest of the quarter. 

52 minutes ago, RomanesEuntDomus said:

lol yeah, that doesn't sound like the most skilled team as well :D

I just had a super intense game that went all the way to five rounds on Lijiang. We were so shaky and lost two rounds with 0% progress but ended up winning the game 3-2 after two crazy 99%-99% rounds where we pulled through in what felt like a five minute overtime :)

Learn how to use the shot stick as opposed to pressing square to shoot. The stick allows you to do different kinds of shots and actually control what side of the rim to attempt a lay-up on too. Very useful when you are approaching a center with a non athletic guard because you can opt to Euro or shoot a floater instead of a regular layup.

I would also adjust the shot stick setting to absolute. I've found it's hard to control when the camera shifts and is much more responsive if its set to absolute.

This is definitely my quickest win on a payload map, got the objective super quick and barely stopped at all. Wouldn't have thought it would go that way based on my start though haha!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissioner

I think most of you guys have played it but I haven't so if anyone else is curious "Life is Strange" Episode 1 is going free starting today: http://www.lifeisstrange.com/free/uk

On 2016-07-21 at 8:27 AM, Beketov said:

I think most of you guys have played it but I haven't so if anyone else is curious "Life is Strange" Episode 1 is going free starting today: http://www.lifeisstrange.com/free/uk

I downloaded it, haven't played it yet though. Has great reviews so I'm looking forward to it when I get around to playing in a month or two.

• Senior Admin
12 minutes ago, JardyB10 said:

I downloaded it, haven't played it yet though. Has great reviews so I'm looking forward to it when I get around to playing in a month or two.

Yeah I think all 3 of VHL steam friends bought it on that sale that one time. I bought it too. I've played it for like 20 minutes so far. It seems interesting and I will continue it at some point. That is all.