S46 VHL & VHLM Awards List

Higgins

2 minutes ago, Ragequit said:

FYR has more shots blocked and hits than you, I didn't know best defenseman was a most points competition. I still don't hate you even though you are a jackass to me most of the time. And I also wasn't the one who sent out the ballots, I am just the one who gets the blame for most mistakes made as I am the more vocal commish

Jackass? No I just point out the stupidity in your voting. But glad we know who you voted for now. Not to mention he had more Hits and SB, but he also didn't beta me at any other statistic. Your point? I should mention so you are not confused: That award is for the regular season as well (like the ASG) and not playoffs haha.

Just now, der meister said:

Ok. Kinda weird to have everybody pick 3 if they all have equal scoring by being selected. 

There's a list of 4-6 candidates given to us. We whittle it done from that list to 3-4. I'm sure we can write in ppl too.

Daisuke Kanou Trophy - Playoff MVP

KLOSE, Christoph (HSK) - 9GP, 3G, 6A, 9P, +0, 38PIM, 32HIT, 4SB, 1GWG

KOPONEN, Aleksi (HSK) - 9GP, 4G, 8A, 12P, +6, 2PIM, 2HIT, 6SB, 1GWG

There is my ballot because I don't put people on it that don't deserve it even if I don't hit 3 or 4 people.

Just now, Phil said:

There's a list of 4-6 candidates given to us. We whittle it done from that list to 3-4. I'm sure we can write in ppl too.

Still strange to not assign point values and rank them if you're not choosing just one guy. Even choosing one guy doesn't make sense. Choose three, put them in order, assign values to the order. I'm guessing this year, Koponen would have won it if it were that way and it would have cleared up confusion. Obviously Denis had a great first round and may have been NA's best playoff player and could get acknowledged as such, but I don't think the 'bias' factor would have had any impact if ranking were included. Just speculation, though. 

2 minutes ago, der meister said:

Ok. Kinda weird to have everybody pick 3 if they all have equal scoring by being selected. 

Yeah we (the BoG) help bring it down to 2-3 candidates, as required. The GM's then select one player, and the most votes wins. However in some cases (like this years Playoff MVP) just because of how quickly Helsinki put out Calgary there wasn't a lot of Helsinki names to pick. So the best candidate (Koponen) ends up standing alone and by stats comparison looks weaker than Denis. But again that is part of the responsibility of GM's when award voting, to dig into the stats to see what they mean. 

This sometimes comes up when we have a weak conference, because the team who plays the first round against the weak team can put up very good statistics since they clearly overmatch the team in question. 

1 minute ago, Ragequit said:

darn I should have written in Bernie and TebowGow :ph34r:

The fact that you think award integrity is a joke makes me really wish Draper would ensure you never have the opportunity to make an award ballot or vote again. Your conduct in this thread is easily hilariously awful. This is actually a relatively serious issue sir.....

For the record Austin:

Francis York Morgan - 72 GP, 29 Goals, 41 Assists, 70 Points, -24, 141 PIM's, 194 HITS, 157 SB
Mason Richardson - 72 GP, 11 Goals, 73 Assists, 84 Points, +35, 88 PIMS's, 184 HITS, 108 SB

So you are saying that his 10 hits and 49 SB more in addition to his -59 worst plus/minus means he is a better defender?

Edited by Kendrick

1 minute ago, Kendrick said:

For the record Austin:

Francis York Morgan - 72 GP, 29 Goals, 41 Assists, 70 Points, -24, 141 PIM's, 194 HITS, 157 SB
Mason Richardson - 72 GP, 11 Goals, 73 Assists, 84 Points, +35, 88 PIMS's, 184 HITS, 108 SB

So you are saying that his 10 hits and 49 SB more in addition to his -59 worst plus/minus is means he is a better defender?

Wasn't York Morgan on a non playoff team, a team this is likely to face more shot totals and not have the puck as much. Ergo, he will get higher defensive stats, and even with that advantage against you on a non playoff team you were only 10 hits and 49 SB worse on a team that made the Euro conference finals. *laughs* 

2 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

For the record Austin:

So you are saying that his 10 hits and 49 SB more in addition to his -59 worst plus/minus is means he is a better defender?

i mean i see where hes coming from. RIchardson sucks

Just now, Ragequit said:

tldr of this thread if not everyone agrees with devise's and advantage's opinions on who should win awards so we need to make big changes

Kendrick, Draper, Jardy, Phil, a few others who liked posts. I'm pretty sure anyone with a brain can recognize that in the case of one specific award (playoff MVP) a player who earned over half his points in 4 games against what is in reality a non playoff team, then goes on to LOSE in the finals (in quick fashion no less) doesn't deserve playoff MVP.

But hey keep believing this has something to do with one person opinion. Keep ignoring the quality of award integrity too, ignorant award voting from an ignorant GM. I'm open to hearing a conversation as to WHY Denis deserved the award though. Feel free, we all know you voted for him so if your open to argue go for it. 

tldr of this thread if not everyone agrees with devise's and advantage's opinions on who should win awards so we need to make big changes

Pretty much a disgrace with how your acting right now.

This is clearly a lot more than two people disagreeing with this.

Well that's the elementary response I was waiting for. No it's more so about the fact you don't take award voting as seriously as you need to and need to seriously give your head a shake when it comes to bias'. Yes everyone gets into the ASG, but the fact you voted your brother just because he is your brother doesn't bode well for the prospects I talk to through PM about one day winning an award in this league.

Oh and for the record, this wasn't just us talking about playoff MVP either. We also clarified (Phil and I) to Klose and anyone who isn't aware how the ballot system works in the BoG. So on top of trying to rectify and bring to attention an award vote that might of not been done with the standard of quality we expect from the VHL we also showed some transparency in the way the BoG works and the way award ballots and voting works. But right, this is just one thread where Chris and I talk about our own opinions and nothing more. *laughs* 

8 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

Wasn't York Morgan on a non playoff team, a team this is likely to face more shot totals and not have the puck as much. Ergo, he will get higher defensive stats, and even with that advantage against you on a non playoff team you were only 10 hits and 49 SB worse on a team that made the Euro conference finals. *laughs* 

Yeah but the biggest issue for me is that it's not like Quebec was relying on QUE G. They had a good goalie and that plus/minus is the biggest concern. The SB and HITS could be higher than mine because of the non-playoff team, but they aren't really the biggest issue. Just shows some GM's need to be educated on what each stat means relative to the team the player is on, STHS classification of it and what it means in general.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Just to be me - who likes looking at stats: here's how they compared in the finals, as an fyi to all

Milos Denis:
5GP | 0G - 1A - 1P | +2 | 0PIM | 0HIT | 1SB | 14SHT

Aleksi Koponen:
5GP | 2G - 4A - 6P | +1 | 2PIM | 1HIT | 4SB | 12SHT

Don't know what series you were looking at, but Denis had 2 goals and 2 assists in the 5 game finals haha. Still, it isn't like he had the pace of points or the total once Calgary moved on from Toronto. 9 Points in 10 games versus 14 in 4 is clearly a dip. From over 3 points a game to under a point per game, and then as things got tough in the finals he slowed down, and had no points in the deciding Game 5. That isn't the definition of a Playoff MVP. 

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Just to be me - who likes looking at stats: here's how they compared in the finals, as an fyi to all

Milos Denis:
5GP | 0G - 1A - 1P | +2 | 0PIM | 0HIT | 1SB | 14SHT

Aleksi Koponen:
5GP | 2G - 4A - 6P | +1 | 2PIM | 1HIT | 4SB | 12SHT

If DT was really embracing the Donald Trump persona, this is where he'd start attacking you for biased data and argue that TOR G should have won Playoff MVP all along.

I admit that I voted for Denis. I blasted through the voting and saw Denis' massive lead on points and went with that, ignoring why he had so many points as I hadn't thought of that.

Seeing the points made here paint a clear picture of the mistake, and I apologize for that. Going forward, I will certainly put more consideration into my votes. Apologies again to everyone for this disappointment/frustration.

Edited by Toast

Alright, after some reflection here are my thoughts:

- A good point is raised about putting more research into voting and possibly creating a voting committee of people who are completely dedicated to it. I will admit I along with probably many other did not put much more research into it than just looking at the blanket stats.

- I got heated because people questioned the integrity of my votes. The All-Star game was one thing, but I do try to not be biased in my BoG or GM votes. Question the logic of my votes if you will, not the integrity.