S46 VHL & VHLM Awards List

Higgins

Just now, Kendrick said:

That was admitted as being a mistake that he fixed rather quickly. He mentioned he thought Roy III played defense all year when he didn't.

That might make sense and would be believable, if the Commish in question was Jarby!

4 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

Exactly. That is my fear. We are entering a reality where we are just finding bodies to put in GM roles. It isn't that they aren't qualified GM"s, but do they have that same respect/time to put in a thoughtful award vote? If not, then perhaps those people shouldn't be voting. The purpose of the award committee, would be that the Blue Team could publicly select members we all know as having the integrity of awards and the league as the first priority. Again this isn't to call out any other GM's (although I stand by calling out you Eagles, that ballot needs serious justification considering your Helsinki won in 5 games) but you sometimes get the impression a few of the GM"s out there treat award voting similar to award predictions. A copy paste or a quick scan over whose numbers are higher and that is all. 

Well some GM's don't understand the meaning behind the award or what stats have to be taken with greater weight than others. I for one know there was a GM when I was GM'ing that though Shots Blocked was a huge statistic to determine whether or not a forward should win an award.

2 minutes ago, Molholt said:

That might make sense and would be believable, if the Commish in question was Jarby!

I know I know, but in this case he corrected it quickly and the BOG member still just copied and pasted.

1 minute ago, sterling said:

I think the system is fine how it is. You'll never eliminate all the butthurt anyway you do awards

This isn't about butthurt though. Give your head a shake. Kendrick, myself, Advantage, do you think any of us have some bias towards Draper winning the award? Denis played for Chris at one point, and all of us like Tyler. It has zero to do with butthurt.

A serious award that could have impact on hall of fame implications (especially early into Koponens career) was given to a false candidate who had really no legitimate claim to the award. That sir, is a problem. I don't care how old school or wise you are if you can't see the issue at hand, then get your glasses checked. 

2 minutes ago, sterling said:

I think the system is fine how it is. You'll never eliminate all the butthurt anyway you do awards

Difference between butthurt and obvious stupidity by GM's. I agree you won't get rid of it, but some of these are so cut and dry for awards that it would take more effort for someone to screw it up @Ragequit style than it would to simply vote the right person.

1 hour ago, Advantage said:

Just another example of why voting needs to be taken far more seriously.  Like I said in league voting, being ridiculously biased to your team can lead to things like this.  It's ridiculous.

Just like Austin's ballot:

Daisuke Kanou Trophy - Playoff MVP

COTE, Tyler (CGY) - 13GP, 6G, 13A, 19P, +16, 4PIM, 19HIT, 5SB, 1GWG

DENIS, Milos (CGY) - 13GP, 10G, 12A, 22P, +17, 0PIM, 1HIT, 3SB, 1GWG

GOW, Bernie (CGY) - 13GP, 9-4-0, .917SV%, 2.06GAA, 2SO, 351SA

KOPONEN, Aleksi (HSK) - 9GP, 4G, 8A, 12P, +6, 2PIM, 2HIT, 6SB, 1GWG

But hey...I guess when you lose in five games you deserve playoff MVP.  What a joke.

Alright Jackass, here is the entire ballot that I had to vote from:

DENIS, Milo (CGY) - 13GP, 10G, 12A, 22P, +17, 0PIM, 1HIT, 3SB, 1GWG

KLOSE, Christoph (HSK) - 9GP, 3G, 6A, 9P, +0, 38PIM, 32HIT, 4SB, 1GWG

STROPKO, Brady (CGY) - 13GP, 7G, 12A, 19P, +17, 18PIM, 38HIT, 5SB, 1GWG

I'm not writing in Calgary players or anything, but when the list is dominated 4/6 by Calgary players of course they are going to make up the majority of my vote. 

Kendrick's ballot:

2/3rds calgary

Phil's ballot:

2/3rds calgary

5 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

Given our now current roster of GM's, I for one am very excited to see MVP decided by goalie sacks.

Even though it's not something I'm even aiming for now, the first thing I always check the boxscores for is if I got a goalie sack.

You don't know how bummed out I am that I didn't get any this year!

1 minute ago, Ragequit said:

I'm not writing in Calgary players or anything, but when the list is dominated 4/6 by Calgary players of course they are going to make up the majority of my vote. 

Klose, Koponen and Denis.

Don't list 3 Calgary players.  Biased moron.  Not to mention the only actual active (that I'm aware of) on that list from Calgary is Gow.

Let me guess who you voted for..hmmm...

Edited by Advantage

9 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

Given our now current roster of GM's, I for one am very excited to see MVP decided by goalie sacks.

Petition to change the Boulet from best two way forward to most goalie sacks?

#kloseforboulet

1 minute ago, Ragequit said:

Even though almost all of them stat padded against Toronto? There were several other prominent members whose award ballots included 2 Helsinki players and one CGY player, in fact that is what the final ballot ended up looking like. So not only did you go crazy and put 3 undeserving Calgary players on the ballot when most agreed that the one CGY player put on (Denis) was put on just to fill up the ballot and give some recognition to him for his stats, specifically against Toronto. But then you went and voted for Denis (because of course you did.) Your bias isn't the only thing in question, in fact it is irrelevant, because your just one person.

The real issue at hand, as the rest of the thread has been discussing is GM's voting without doing any thoughtful look at how players achieved the stats they did. The fact that there was a CGY player on the ballot and GM's simply voted them without considering the fact that CGY won a single game in the finals, is kind of pathetic. As stated in several different ways in this thread. 

• Senior Admin
2 minutes ago, Advantage said:

Either way, neither of them vote Denis in.  That is clear.

We both know you did.

Why? Cause it's Calgary or nothing to you.

Honestly though, at least he has some reason to vote that way (and he definitely isn't the only GM who would have if they were in his position). What's more concerning is the other 5 :lol:

1 minute ago, Draper said:

Honestly though, at least he has some reason to vote that way. What's more concerning is the other 5 :lol:

Ha, exactly. Bias has always existed in some form or another in voting. It's just isolated, so it's impact is little. As Kendrick and Jardy both stated/agreed with some of us on, the issue is that 5 other GM's didn't pay attention to how the stats were earned and did a blanket quick look at the stats, and voted. A psuedo inactive collecting 13 points in 4 games against Toronto, and 9 in the other 10 in a losing Cup effort and winning playoff MVP is pretty laughable. The fact that you can't see that, regardless of Calgary bias Eagles...says a lot about your perspective on the league. People are entitled to a difference of opinion, but the reason there is a fuss here is because there is literally ZERO argument for anyone from Calgary winning the award, let alone Denis who stat padded. 

13 minutes ago, Ragequit said:

Phil's ballot:

2/3rds calgary

Ahh, Mein Herr, but ask me to pick one! 

37 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

I guess @Advantage and @Mr. Power now know what I was saying. Some gM's can't put past their childish issues or bias' when it comes to rewarding people who rightfully should win awards based on their efforts. I've been in the league 47 years and only a couple times I can think where this has happened. But then again it's not like the guy in question did his job as VHLM Commish correctly, didn't even send the ballot to some GM's.

FYR has more shots blocked and hits than you, I didn't know best defenseman was a most points competition. I still don't hate you even though you are a jackass to me most of the time. And I also wasn't the one who sent out the ballots, I am just the one who gets the blame for most mistakes made as I am the more vocal commish