Toronto Legion Weekly Presser

On 7/16/2020 at 1:44 AM, Peace said:

DRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFT DAY! 

1. The Toronto Legion only picked one player -- center John Merrick -- in the S73 VHL Entry Draft. What are your thoughts about the most recent addition to the Legion? 

2. Despite GM Peace trying to move into additional rounds of the draft, he was unable to do so -- how do you think this will impact Toronto in the future? 

3. How 'hyped' were you about the S73 VHL Entry Draft? 

4. John Merrick will be joining the Legion in S74 with a projected rating of over 400. How will this impact the S74 Toronto Legion? 

5. Who was the most surprising player drafted in the first round? 

6. Were you surprised at any of the prospects that were ranked fairly high but continued to slide through the draft, if you paid attention at all? 

1. Very excited. They'll be a great addition to the team.

2. It might cause a few headaches but nothing we can't manage.

3. I completely forgot about it to be honest.

4. It'll be AWESOME.

5. The only player from the first round I can name is Merrick sooo I plead the fifth.

6. Frostbeard until I realized he was a GM.

On 7/15/2020 at 10:44 PM, Peace said:

DRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFT DAY! 

1. The Toronto Legion only picked one player -- center John Merrick -- in the S73 VHL Entry Draft. What are your thoughts about the most recent addition to the Legion? 

2. Despite GM Peace trying to move into additional rounds of the draft, he was unable to do so -- how do you think this will impact Toronto in the future? 

4. John Merrick will be joining the Legion in S74 with a projected rating of over 400. How will this impact the S74 Toronto Legion? 

6. Were you surprised at any of the prospects that were ranked fairly high but continued to slide through the draft, if you paid attention at all? 

@Corco @NyQuil @joeg @Viperxhawks19 @Sixersfan549 @Peace @DaftRaincloud @Gwdjohnson @ROOKIE745 @ngine4

1. He's great. I think he's the closest thing to a Jaxx Hextall level player we've seen in ages.

2. Not much, we've still got a great team.

3. Not too much honestly, didn't even watch it.

4. He seems good, so I'm sure it'll help the team.

5. None of them surprised me unfortunately, as I did not watch.

6. I fall in the "didn't pay attention" side.

Huge thanks for picking Merrick. He will work hard and be up  after a healty season in the minors. 

Lot's of talent  on the team. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Very hyped. And the right team, the one I was really hoping for picked the right player.

Going for a balanced build with some guidance from the team on which direction to improve in. Should be a stable player.

The big names got picked, so no big surprises to me.

I saw many fall several places. Under achieving or just getting out worked?

WE - ARE - LEGION

1) A new season is upon us! Are you excited to be playing hockey again? 

2) How do you think the Legion will fare this upcoming season? 

3) Who do you think will be the Legions' leading scorer? 

4) Toronto was in on a few free agents, but ultimately we didn't land any active ones, any thoughts on that? 

5) Joseph Gainer and his shot at top rookie. Do you think it's possible? 

6) If there was one thing you could guarantee -- besides awards and a championship -- what would it be for yourself? 

@Corco @NyQuil @joeg @Viperxhawks19 @Sixersfan549 @Peace @DaftRaincloud @Gwdjohnson @ROOKIE745 @ngine4

7 minutes ago, Peace said:

WE - ARE - LEGION

Absolutely, especially with everything that's going on in the world with the virus right now, it's a miracle no VHLers have gotten it yet.

I think we will build on the unexpected success of last season; our core players have only gotten better since last year.

If I was a betting man, I would put money on either myself or Killinger to be at least a PPG or better.

4) Toronto was in on a few free agents, but ultimately we didn't land any active ones, any thoughts on that? 

Same old VHL story, big FA's usually don't want to come to teams seen as underdogs by the rest of the league, and I'm completely fine with that, as we've really built from within since I've been here.

Definitely; he has all the tools to make it happen, the only thing that remains to be seen is how well he gels with his linemates.

6) If there was one thing you could guarantee -- besides awards and a championship -- what would it be for yourself? 

Hmm, I'd say getting inducted into the HoF would be a good consolation if those other two were unachievable.

On 7/21/2020 at 11:30 AM, Peace said:

WE - ARE - LEGION

1. YES!!

2. Better than last season, that's for sure.

3. Magnum more than likely.

4. It's a shame and kinda annoying that no one seems to want to join us but I think we'll be fine.

5. I think it's possible but I haven't exactly looked into the other rookies joining this season.

6. A consistence high end performance.

On 7/21/2020 at 11:30 AM, Peace said:

1. Yes, very. Love doing that hockey.

2. The team will be great.

3. Jaxx Hextall. I don't care if he's a goalie.

4. Doesn't matter, we don't need them.

5. He's a monster, will be game changing. He better get the award.

6. Just being a good contributor to the team.

Tossing up a quick press conference for you guys. 

1) The Toronto Legion are on a fairly hot start with a record of 7-3-2, do you think this'll level out as the season advances? 

2) Chad Magnum has seventeen points in just twelve games. What do you think is contributing to his offensive success this early? 

3) Jaxx Hextall has been absolutely magnificent so far -- how could the Legion help lessen his workload so he doesn't fatigue? 

4) League offense is up quite significantly compared to the last half a dozen seasons. Do you think expansion is the cause for more offense league wide? If not, why? 

5) Our rookie, Joseph Gainer, still has an opportunity to climb back into the top ten race (he's tied for tenth). Any advice you'd like to give, or words of encouragement as he seeks the top rookie award? 

6) In a scale of one to ten, how involved would you say the management team is with their players? 

On 7/27/2020 at 2:49 PM, Peace said:

1) The Toronto Legion are on a fairly hot start with a record of 7-3-2, do you think this'll level out as the season advances? 

2) Chad Magnum has seventeen points in just twelve games. What do you think is contributing to his offensive success this early? 

3) Jaxx Hextall has been absolutely magnificent so far -- how could the Legion help lessen his workload so he doesn't fatigue? 

4) League offense is up quite significantly compared to the last half a dozen seasons. Do you think expansion is the cause for more offense league wide? If not, why? 

5) Our rookie, Joseph Gainer, still has an opportunity to climb back into the top ten race (he's tied for tenth). Any advice you'd like to give, or words of encouragement as he seeks the top rookie award? 

6) In a scale of one to ten, how involved would you say the management team is with their players? 

1. I honestly can't say, I have a really good feeling about this team, I think we can stay hot throughout the whole season.

2. I think I've finally figured out VHL defenses, and I grew a lot stronger over the offseason, so I can really bully my way around the rink this season.

3. That was definitely an issue for us last season, as I think he just ran out of gas in the playoffs, but I don't blame him; he carried us in the regular season. I think we just really need to tighten up in our own zone in order to lighten his load.

4. Definitely. And to be honest, I prefer it this way, it reminds me of the old-VHL.

5. Just keep plugging along man, your time will come. It can take awhile in the VHL but your hard work will pay off.

6. Hmm, 7 maybe? I'm not complaining though, I think the interaction is at a good level, for me personally at least.

On 7/27/2020 at 2:49 PM, Peace said:

1. There will be ebbs and flows, but I feel positive. Just got to take it one game at a time.

2. His new lifetime deal with Magnum Ice Cream.

3. Have to try and take the load off of him some nights. Give him some better help in front.

4. I believe that more people want to play offence, with the high end, high profile player.

5. Any advice would be appreciated.

6. Probably a 7 or 8. It's plenty enough for me, but I could see other people feeling otherwise.

On 7/27/2020 at 11:49 AM, Peace said:

1. Well sadly it has a little bit, hopefully we can get back on a hot streak.

2. Well I mean he is just a fantastic player, and I think we just have more offensive power than last season

3. Reduce the amount of shots I'm facing DX

4. I do think it is because of the expansion, more players, less talent on each roster, in theory at least.

5. You can do it map, just keep working at it!

6. 7, I always get help when I need it.

And another one! 

1. Of the games you've played in, what has been your favorite?

2. What about your most disliked game? 

3. Our second line has a unique story. They're either super dominant, or usually - +/- on the game... any way to describe that?

4. Jaxx Hextall is a stud, do you agree? 

5. Chad Magnum is bruising bodies and remaining disciplined, while Killinger is hitting far less and is still taking more penalties. Do you know why? 

6. Who would you rather face in a qualifying round... Vancouver or Las Angeles? 

16 hours ago, Peace said:

And another one! 

3. Our second line has a unique story. They're either super dominant, or usually - +/- on the game... any way to describe that?

5. Chad Magnum is bruising bodies and remaining disciplined, while Killinger is hitting far less and is still taking more penalties. Do you know why? 

1. game 24, the 1-0 win over Vancouver, intense battle between me and Spyro!!

2. The games I don't play in, because the backup has to play.

3. not that I can think of, their either on or off.

4. Well I am him so.... yes!!

5. Killinger be a dirty player XD

6. Vancouver, I wanna face a rival!!

On 8/4/2020 at 10:22 PM, Peace said:

And another one! 

1. I love all of them equally. Just a chance to show what I've got.

2. I'm just not good enough yet. I don't like that.

3. Just inconsistency, lack of focus.

4. Why is this even phrased as a question? Jaxx Hextall is the only hockey player I respect.

5. REFS.

6. Vancouver, they can't hockey like we can.

Before I’m gone camping, here is some PC questions.

1) Do you think Toronto will make the playoffs this season? 

2) Who do you think will be the Legions leading scorer at the end of the season? 

3) How many wins do you think TOR G will get? He’s got three more starts to his season.

4) Looking further down the road, onto next season, are you excited for Merrick and Anigbogu to join the club?

5) What would you say is the most impressive thing about the team this season so far? 

6) What about the most frustrating thing about the season? 

1 hour ago, Peace said:

2) Who do you think will be the Legions leading scorer at the end of the season? 

3) How many wins do you think TOR G will get? He’s got three more starts to his season.

4) Looking further down the road, onto next season, are you excited for Merrick and Anigbogu to join the club?

5) What would you say is the most impressive thing about the team this season so far? 

1. Yes, I will do everything to make sure we do.

2. Probably Magnum.

3. Maybe 1 more? somehow the bot goalie can outplay the greatly superior player goalies.

4. Hell yes!! I think they'll give us a great boost!!

5. Me? can I say me?

6. The defense in front of me lol.

17 hours ago, Peace said:

1. Hard to say. If we can just get hot at the right time, we can pull it off.

2. I'd have to say Chad Magnum.

3. TOR G is a solid locker room guy, he always makes us feel good. I'd say he gets a few more starts, and all of them wins.

4. I am, yes. I was an AGM and these players were both on one of my teams at one point. It is exciting to be reunited.

5. The way we communicate on the ice. We all know where the other guys are, resulting in great plays.

6. When you get a great chance, and you hit the post. That's happened to me many times this season.

I know it's a little late for some of you, and I apologize, but here are some PC questions now that I'm back from camping: 

1. Another season has come and gone... what are your thoughts on how this season went? 

2. What can be done -- in your opinion -- to improve the team during the off season? 

3. Any particular requests to management? Does the chef need to spice up his meals, do we need better pre-game music? 

4. TOR G is capable of better results, but would you say this is the norm or was TOR G just struggling this season? 

5. Merrick will be joining the Toronto Legion next season... do you think he'll be the top rookie? 

6. Who do you think will win the championship? 

On 8/23/2020 at 8:59 PM, Peace said:

I know it's a little late for some of you, and I apologize, but here are some PC questions now that I'm back from camping: 

1. Another season has come and gone... what are your thoughts on how this season went? 

2. What can be done -- in your opinion -- to improve the team during the off season? 

3. Any particular requests to management? Does the chef need to spice up his meals, do we need better pre-game music? 

4. TOR G is capable of better results, but would you say this is the norm or was TOR G just struggling this season? 

5. Merrick will be joining the Toronto Legion next season... do you think he'll be the top rookie? 

6. Who do you think will win the championship? 

1. I'm frustrated by it, especially with how it ended, 2 seasons in a row where we just collapse at the end of the season.

2. Defense defense defense.

3. Have the bot goalies play more games near the end of the season.

4. meh.... maybe slightly better but I think it's close to the norm.

5.In the league? possibly.

6. Your guess is as good as mine.

Double press conferences in bound. Quickly answer these ones, and I'll get the others up on Monday. 

1. How are you enjoying your off season so far? 

2. Did you get to clear your mind, get some relaxation in? 

3. Are you excited about the upcoming draft? 

4. Any thoughts on the free agency pool? 

5. Helsinki and Seattle... who do you think is going to win the cup? 

6. What would you consider the best moments of Toronto's unfortunate season? 

Draft edition, I guess? 

1. Toronto only has a second round pick in the S74 VHL Entry Draft, but it looks deep -- do you think the Legion will draft a quality prospect at twenty sixth overall? 

2. Who do you expect to go first overall in the draft? 

3. Do you have any friends or associates in the draft class, and who are they? 

4. What would you say is Toronto's biggest strength heading into the draft? 

5. What about the Legions' biggest weakness? 

6. GM Peace has been transparent in the team locker room -- do you feel demoralized from the missed opportunities at all? 

@Corco@joeg@Viperxhawks19@Peace@DaftRaincloud@Gwdjohnson @ROOKIE745@ngine4

On 9/9/2020 at 9:24 AM, Peace said:

Draft edition, I guess? 

1. Toronto only has a second round pick in the S74 VHL Entry Draft, but it looks deep -- do you think the Legion will draft a quality prospect at twenty sixth overall? 

6. GM Peace has been transparent in the team locker room -- do you feel demoralized from the missed opportunities at all? 

1. Hell yeah! 2nd rounders can be real studs!

2. I haven't really followed this draft class, so I don't know.

3. I'm sure I have some, but I haven't payed attention.

4. Smart GM with experience with predicting activity.

5. Lack of free agents to sign with us.

6. Nope. I love ya, Peace. You've raised me in this league, from Saskatoon to Toronto, I'll always have faith in you.

On 9/9/2020 at 10:24 AM, Peace said:

Draft edition, I guess? 

1. I think so, you also seemed to have drafted a stud of a winger at 35th as well.

2. I expected Thorton to go first honestly, but it seems like Aloe Dear had that spot taken.

3. I'm friends with all my old teammates in Vegas.

4. I think our biggest strength is that we may have been underdogs going in, only having one pick.

5. I don't know honestly, so far I haven't gotten to test the waters too much with my new teammates.

6. I feel fired up, season 75 will be my year and I'll make Peace proud he drafted me.

On 9/9/2020 at 7:24 AM, Peace said:

Draft edition, I guess? 

1. For sure, I think our management will grab a steal.

2. Honestly I have no clue, there's so many talented players in this class. 

3. Nope, I haven't really met many of this group.

4. I think we're great at working together and just maximizing everybody's talent.

5. Just closing out games we know we can win. Have to be consistent if we want to be champions.

6. Nope, it's all a process to become the best, and those are just learning opportunities on the road to that.

Anyone that is active could be an impact player. There are several that should fall into our slots.

There is a few that can go first. 

Not that I am aware of. 

The desire to win is a big strength. 

I am not sure until I see a good sample of games. 

Not at all. It's good to be involved with what's really going on with the team.