Toronto Legion Weekly Presser

On 9/9/2020 at 7:24 AM, Peace said:

Draft edition, I guess? 

1. Toronto only has a second round pick in the S74 VHL Entry Draft, but it looks deep -- do you think the Legion will draft a quality prospect at twenty sixth overall? 

2. Who do you expect to go first overall in the draft? 

3. Do you have any friends or associates in the draft class, and who are they? 

4. What would you say is Toronto's biggest strength heading into the draft? 

5. What about the Legions' biggest weakness? 

6. GM Peace has been transparent in the team locker room -- do you feel demoralized from the missed opportunities at all? 

@Corco@joeg@Viperxhawks19@Peace@DaftRaincloud@Gwdjohnson @ROOKIE745@ngine4

1. Yes, because it's already happened~

2. Idk, didn't look, to late now as well.

3. I do not sadly.

4. I'm not sure to be honest, never thought about it before.

5. Same as the last

6. Yes, it is hard when no one wants to come here from FA.

1. It’s now the offseason, what do you do during this time? Relax? Train? Study film?                                                                   

2. As the new AGM of Toronto, tell me something about you so I can get to know my players!                                                   

3. How do you feel about Toronto’s draft?                                                                                                                                                             

4. What aspect of your game are you working on heading into next season?                                                                                   

5. Do you feel confident in the direction Toronto is heading?                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

6. Which team in either the VHL or VHLM do you think needs a logo update next?

1. It’s now the offseason, what do you do during this time? Relax? Train? Study film?             

Mostly train, I've let myself slip a vbit in the past season so I need to get back onto the training rink and work on some shooting and puck handling drills. This is likely to be my last season so I want to go out with a bang and be a major player on this Toronto team.                                              

1. As the new AGM of Toronto, tell me something about you so I can get to know my players!           

I play quidditch in real life, yeah the thing from harry potter, unfortunately no flying brooms thoughj.                                       

1. How do you feel about Toronto’s draft?               

I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to the VHL but I'm sure the guys we've picked up are keen to get going and will be assets for years to come.                                                                                                                                              

1. What aspect of your game are you working on heading into next season?             

Skating, Puck Handling and shooting have been my hallmarks for my career and I think it's a bit late to teach an old dog new tricks haha, so yeah I'll likely just work on what I'm good at.                                                                      

1. Do you feel confident in the direction Toronto is heading?           

Looks like there's been a few good moves recently here, signing me i guess is nice even though the GM was probably hoping for a slightly more prestigious player. Overall I think Toronto and heading upwards and that's always a good sign.                                                                                                                                                                                                          

1. Which team in either the VHL or VHLM do you think needs a logo update next?

I think the Philly Reapers logo is a bit busy in my opinion, also don't like the Phantoms logo much either, the big blocky text on logo's doesn't look great in most cases.

On 9/14/2020 at 11:44 AM, Dtayl said:

2. As the new AGM of Toronto, tell me something about you so I can get to know my players!                                                   

1. train, play some games, watch movies, relax.

2. Favorite team is the Sharks.

3. It was a thing that happened.

4. everything.

5. Yes.

6. I'll do one for each, for the VHL I think the Riga Reign need to update their logo, just feels outdated compared to the other ones, and for the VHLM I'd say the storm, I love them, I won a cup with them but I'd like to see a new logo.

On 9/14/2020 at 12:44 PM, Dtayl said:

1. I have a training schedule I stick to. Of course I do allow a few days to just kick back and relax.

2. I like long walks on the beach and my favorite color is red.

3. The draft is something I like management deal with. I have no opinion on the matter.

4. I am working on all aspects of my game but also trying to keep a balance in my training.

5. I do. A perfect place to be is a team that has a plan and the players that are dedicated.

6. I think they are all fine really. It would be fun to have an alternative logo that can be used.                           

On 9/14/2020 at 12:44 PM, Dtayl said:

1. As a defender, I worked hard at improving my game, hoping to help the Legion advance further than we got last season. Our 1-4-1 start isn't that impressive, but I'm confident the hard work we all put in during the off season will come through when we need it the most. 

2. I'm a task oriented player, give me an objective to complete and I'll do my best to achieve it. 

3. I thought it was an excellent draft for the Legion. 

4. Mostly discipline. 

5. Absolutely! 

6. Toronto could use an updated logo, honestly. It's simple, basic, but nothing really 'pops out' at you. 

I apologize for the late press conference. 

1. Toronto went 1-9-1 to start the season, but is 3-1-0 in their last four, do you think the tables have turned? 

2. Chad Magnum had six points in one of Toronto's four wins, what do you think about that accomplishment? 

3. Rookie Merrick is doing well in the VHL so far, do you think he has a shot at the top rookie award? 

4. Do you believe Toronto is starting to become underestimated? 

5. Do you think there's a chance Toronto could climb back into a playoff picture? 

6. The Legion have played the least amount of games than any other team so far, yet others have three more games, how do you feel about this seemingly lopsided scheduling? 

7 hours ago, Peace said:

1. Toronto went 1-9-1 to start the season, but is 3-1-0 in their last four, do you think the tables have turned? 

2. Chad Magnum had six points in one of Toronto's four wins, what do you think about that accomplishment? 

3. Rookie Merrick is doing well in the VHL so far, do you think he has a shot at the top rookie award? 

5. Do you think there's a chance Toronto could climb back into a playoff picture? 

6. The Legion have played the least amount of games than any other team so far, yet others have three more games, how do you feel about this seemingly lopsided scheduling? 

1. I hope so is all I can say.

2. outstanding, he deserves it!!

3. Yush!

4. Possibly, Need to get a little further in to the season.

5. Always.

6. It is what is is.

On 9/25/2020 at 5:38 PM, Peace said:

I think we've taken a bit of time to gel but we're getting there. There's no doubt we're a bit disappointed in ourselves for the poor start but everyone is keen to make up for lost ground and start getting some more results on the board.

It's a great accomplishment but I'd be lying if I said I was surprised, the guy puts in so much effort on and off the ice for this team and to see him get the kind of recognition he deserves is a great sight. He was a real force on that night and the Phoenix couldn't do anything to stop him

I think he's got a shot, he's a good kid and has the right kind of attitude you need to succeed. It's a big adjustment for any player coming up the VHL from the minors but he's taken to it like a fish to water. Of course his vision is what stands out the most and his decision making for a rookie is top tier. The kid is going to go places.

Perhaps, I don't really listen to the media though, the coaches and players are the most important voices if you want to make progress here.

Absolutely, we're gaining some momentum now and I think we're due for a good streak of results that can push us back up to those playoff spots.

It's definitely a factor against us, we're getting a bit less time to shake off that off-season rust but I think we've got it sorted now.

Our record isn't a good reflection of our teams potential. I think  we will do better as the season progresses. 

Always good to see a teammate have a good game. 

Though that would be nice, I don't see him being at the top over the season.

I think we are setting the foundation for a solid team in the future.

Yes, it is very early in the season and a we are a few good runs away from the playoffs.

It will balance out at some point right? We all play 72 games so we will get a few 3 game sims I would think.

On 9/25/2020 at 9:38 AM, Peace said:

1. For sure, the new additions are starting to gel and the team is looking fantastic.

2. He's a beast. That's an insane number for a single game, and he pretty much carried us that game.

3. For sure, he looks like the best in my eyes at least.

4. Yup. Slow start had people forgetting what we can do.

5. Why not? Still early and the team is clicking. I'd say yes.

6. It's not bad. Gave us some more time in between games to regroup, and helped us turn this around before it got out of hand.

Legion Presser - 9/28 

1. After a rough start to the season Toronto has seemingly gotten back on track, what changed with the team?

2. As you know I’m new to Toronto, what are some fun things to do in the city?

3. The season can be long and tough on the body, what do you do to avoid injuries and stay in form? 

4. It’s early in the season but do any teams in particular stick out as cup favorites in either the VHL or VHLM?

5. There have been murmurs of the league expanding yet again, where would you like to see some teams? 

6. Toronto prides itself on building a strong team community, do you think we’ve done a good job so far?

16 hours ago, Dtayl said:

Legion Presser - 9/28 

1. After a rough start to the season Toronto has seemingly gotten back on track, what changed with the team?

After we were 1-10 the players all held a meeting together, we talked about what we needed to do better to start performing up to the level that we should. It really drew the team together and I think we've seen much higher effort levels in trainings since then.

Hey man, I'm new too, you'll have to ask one of the guys who've been here longer.

3. The season can be long and tough on the body, what do you do to avoid injuries and stay in form? 

Making sure your getting the right stuff out of your diet, make sure your completing all the physio that the team doctors give you and getting a good night's sleep every day. Do that and the rest takes care of itself mostly.

4. It’s early in the season but do any teams in particular stick out as cup favorites in either the VHL or VHLM?

Well the obvious choice is Riga, they're doing really well this season with lot of strong wins.

5. There have been murmurs of the league expanding yet again, where would you like to see some teams? 

A Las Vegas team would be great, it's a city that can definitely host a top tier team. Or maybe a city like Boston.

6. Toronto prides itself on building a strong team community, do you think we’ve done a good job so far?

I think so, the GM is very active and helpful and the team gets excited over the wins that we've strung together. I'm enjoying my time here.

On 9/28/2020 at 10:24 AM, Dtayl said:

Legion Presser - 9/28 

1. I'd like to have a more in depth answer but..... Im just gonna answer with STHS being nice to us.

2. uhhh going to a restaurant here is fun.

3. Stretches, tons of practice, and play some video games, gotta let the body relax to.

4. Not yet..... I kinda wanna say Seattle or Moscow but I don't know.

5. I'd always been down for another Canadian team, in SK perhaps? As a sharks fan I'd like to see a team in San Jose.

6. Yes I do, been more active recently which I like.

On 9/28/2020 at 11:24 AM, Dtayl said:

1. We're trying new strategies, looked at multiple line combinations, and I think things are just clicking now. The basis of the Legions strategy is to support Hextall more, and not as offensively oriented as we were before. 

2. Strip clubs, obviously, but for real... I haven't gotten out much, COVID and all. 

3. Playing the game and training is more than enough to stay in shape, it's winding down and allowing the body to rest that's more important. Grab a controller and play some games, you'll come back prepared when your wellbeing isn't constantly being stressed.

4. Vancouver is sticking out like a sore thumb. For a team that just drafted their entire core, being the top team in the NA Conference -- for the moment -- is certainly surprising. 

5. Assuming the league does a 1/1 split to 18 teams, I'd have to assume some NHL cities would be included into the NA Conference, maybe Boston or Montreal? Obviously, given their championship at the NHL level, Tampa Bay might be interesting too.

6. As the GM, I always believe there is more I could do, so I eagerly await some more responses to this question. 

We are getting better on the player level and the team has found their groove.

Just about anything you would want to do that is fun is most likely in Toronto.

I stay safe from the comfort of my computer chair.

Let's get back to that later in the season. Teams that are hot now might not be later on.

I see no reason to expand and have no comment on where teams would be.

Yes. The team as a whole does a good job with the community.

Legion Presser - 9/28 

I guess I came to Toronto!

I won't be the right person to tell you this, just got here too!

I take cold showers every morning and evening.

I am not sure, haven't payed a lot of attention to that.

I would like to see some more teams in Asia.

I feel like, at least those are my first impressions.

Here we go! 

1. Toronto recently acquired Oh Sens from Helsinki for a third and two fourth round draft picks. What do you think of the deal? / (For osens): How are you enjoying your time on Toronto? 

2. Chad Magnum -- seems like we mention him a lot here -- has been quietly leading the Legion for seasons, so it shouldn't be a surprise that he's atop our scouring chart once again. Do you think he has another opportunity to win the 'best two-way forward' award again? 

3. Jaxx Hextall seems to be struggling, what do you think can calm his nerves for the upcoming games? / (For Rookie) How do you keep yourself motivated during times where you've been frustrated with your performance?

4. Toronto's current record is 21-19-3, good for 45 points in the NA Conference, so do you think we can maintain a playoff spot now? Chicago, Calgary, New York and Toronto are all competing for the fourth and fifth spots at the moment, although Chicago is overperforming similarly to how S72 TOR did.

5. Once more Toronto has played the least amount of games compared to... literally any other VHL team. When do you think we'll catch up, if we do at all during the season? 

6. John Merrick is trailing the Warsaw duo for top rookie (which is unfortunate because they're an expansion team and are more likely to give points to rookies). Do you think he can overcome them and start leading the rookie race? / (For Steve) Merrick has three games in hand over the other top rookies, do you think you can climb ahead of them?

Edited by Peace

17 hours ago, Peace said:

Here we go! 

1. Toronto recently acquired Oh Sens from Helsinki for a third and two fourth round draft picks. What do you think of the deal? / (For osens): How are you enjoying your time on Toronto? 
I think it's a pretty good deal, generally when trading draft picks you want to get a player that approximately as good as the pick with be, of course the player comes with the bonus of being a known quantity, a very underrated aspect. He was drafted 19th anyway so we got a good deal and he's a talented young player that really looks like he could be a staple for Toronto's future.

2. Chad Magnum -- seems like we mention him a lot here -- has been quietly leading the Legion for seasons, so it shouldn't be a surprise that he's atop our scouring chart once again. Do you think he has another opportunity to win the 'best two-way forward' award again? 

Oh absolutely, when you look at what he's doing on the ice it's incredible, leading the attack while also chiming in with more than his fair share of hits and blocked shots, there's no doubt that his name should be at the forefront of the conversation come the end of the season.

3. Jaxx Hextall seems to be struggling, what do you think can calm his nerves for the upcoming games? / (For Rookie) How do you keep yourself motivated during times where you've been frustrated with your performance?

It's hard to say really, the goalies in the league have such a hard job and the pressure they face is immense.  I don't think I could really give him any advice that he doesn't already know, other than to tell him that we trust him as our final player and we appreciate everything he does for the team.

4. Toronto's current record is 21-19-3, good for 45 points in the NA Conference, so do you think we can maintain a playoff spot now? Chicago, Calgary, New York and Toronto are all competing for the fourth and fifth spots at the moment, although Chicago is overperforming similarly to how S72 TOR did.

I definitely think we can maintain or improve upon where we are now, a poor start set us back and some shaky close games over the past few weeks have dropped us some points but I don't think we've been outplayed in any of them particularly.

5. Once more Toronto has played the least amount of games compared to... literally any other VHL team. When do you think we'll catch up, if we do at all during the season? 

I guess that's down to the people at the league office, we'll end up with the same games at the end of the season at that's all the matters, I personally like it as we know our ability to catch those teams with more games played is in our hands.

6. John Merrick is trailing the Warsaw duo for top rookie (which is unfortunate because they're an expansion team and are more likely to give points to rookies). Do you think he can overcome them and start leading the rookie race? / (For Steve) Merrick has three games in hand over the other top rookies, do you think you can climb ahead of them?

Yeah i'd say he can catch them, he's only 5 points behind with 3 games in hard, that's a trivial task for John. I'd bet my house on him finishing the season at the top of that Rookie points list.

20 hours ago, Peace said:

Here we go! 

1. I think it's great! as much as I'd like more defense in front me if you guys can keep the puck in the other end that works just as well!

2. Very much so! the guy is a beast and I'd say he has the chance to win it even after next season!

3. It's.... hard to say the least. I keep debating about changing my stats just a bit but for now I'm just trusting on hanging in there. I think we we're just really under performing.

4. I do, like I said I think we were just under performing and like you said, Chicago is/was over performing and I think they should be falling.

5. I don't mind it to be honest, as annoying as it might be, it's nice having the games in hand.

6. I do, I still think he will get votes. Not much to say here but I have hope.

It was a good trade. He started producing right off the bat. 

I would most certainly vote for him. Hard worker, great teammate.

I think the whole team needs to come together and make sure we are helping our tenders the best we can. We support both our goalies because that is a very tough position to play. 

We have the tools, we will be there at the end of the season.

Most likely on the last day of the season. That's how crazy the schedule is.

Although that would be great to get, it would be hard to pass a duo that has a clearer path in gaining points. John will be happy with whatever happens. Rookie seasons are frustrating at times. Glad to be on the list.

On 10/8/2020 at 9:37 AM, Peace said:

Here we go! 

1. I think it was a great move. Oh Sens is extremely talented and will help us a ton.

2. He should. I don't know that he will, but if the voters get it right then he should be bringing it home.

3. Jaxx Hextall will be fine, I'm not too worried about a short slide. He's been such a phenomenal player for a full career, he's earned a few down games.

4. I think so. The team has been really good since that brutal start. We're only getting better.

5. I imagine the schedule will start picking up soon. But I'm confident we'll get through that.

6. Obviously he's the best rookie, but I think he won't be able to catch up. It's fine though, everyone who watches the games knows Merrick is the best rookie. He's just with a team situation that's chasing a championship and not an award.

I am enjoying Toronto a lot! Everyone loves me and it feels like home here!

I don't know, you tell me! I haven't really met up with a lot of players yet.

Well he should drink some tea and do some yoga, maybe it can help him out!

We can maintain a playoff spot, and we will have it at the end of the season too, because we are really good team!

I don't know, when the league will start to love our team, maybe then!

Of course, Dakota Lamb is a good friend to me and last time I talked to him, I payed him little bit so he would stop scoring as much so I think he will hold off his power.

New week, new PC. 

1. As a member of the Toronto Legion, you've just celebrated thanksgiving in Canada. How did you spend your holiday, and what kind of food(s) did you eat? 

2. For thanksgiving, Toronto was awarded with two 5-2 victories to jump seven points above the team that could push them out of position. How do you feel about the teams post-season birth being slowly built up after a 1-9-1 start? 

3. Jaxx Hextall has been nothing but quality in Toronto's last four games, including three games with forty one or more saves, do you think he's finally found his groove? / (For Rookie) Has Hextall performed more like you were hoping in the last couple set of sims, or do you expect more out of your goalie? 

4. Raleigh Ritchie announced his retirement for the end of the season, and is currently enjoying his best season in yet in the Victory Hockey League. How do you feel about his upcoming departure? / (For Danger) Ritchie is currently underway in his most productive season yet, did retiring come with hard decisions or did you know this is what you 100% wanted? 

5. Ziarie Anigbogu recently resigned with the Legion for three seasons, what do you think of the extension? / (For NG4) How do you feel about resigning with Toronto? 

6. The trade deadline has passed, and Toronto held firm by keeping their S74 first and second round draft picks. Are you happy that there was no movement, or do you think Toronto should have acquired more players for a playoff push? 

On 10/13/2020 at 3:26 AM, Peace said:

New week, new PC. 

1. As a member of the Toronto Legion, you've just celebrated thanksgiving in Canada. How did you spend your holiday, and what kind of food(s) did you eat? 

My family came over from the UK so they all came round my house and we had a big family dinner, it was nice to see them all and get to show them the North American tradition of thanksgiving, though i guess it's not too different to what we do for Christmas in the UK. I got to show them the sights in Toronto after making sure they wrapped up against the wind. It was a really nice time. We had a huge turkey with all the trimmings.

2. For thanksgiving, Toronto was awarded with two 5-2 victories to jump seven points above the team that could push them out of position. How do you feel about the teams post-season birth being slowly built up after a 1-9-1 start? 

Well it was something that I called from the start, everyone in the team knew that start didn't represent the talent that we've got here so seeing that reflected in the the standings is great to see.

3. Jaxx Hextall has been nothing but quality in Toronto's last four games, including three games with forty one or more saves, do you think he's finally found his groove? / (For Rookie) Has Hextall performed more like you were hoping in the last couple set of sims, or do you expect more out of your goalie? 

Hextall's emergence into one of the VHLs premier goaltenders has been great to see, he's been the driving force behind a lot of our success this year and I think he's only just getting starting.

4. Raleigh Ritchie announced his retirement for the end of the season, and is currently enjoying his best season in yet in the Victory Hockey League. How do you feel about his upcoming departure? / (For Danger) Ritchie is currently underway in his most productive season yet, did retiring come with hard decisions or did you know this is what you 100% wanted? 

You know it's one of the hardest decision to make in sports and it was no different for me. The system here in Toronto fits me so well and that's been reflected in my stats this year, it definitely crossed my mind that I could stay on for longer but I know my own body and can tell that my time in the majors is nearing it's end. I want to go out on top of my game while contributing to a playoff team and Toronto has given me the golden opportunity for it.  Ultimately I'll be happy with my career but there is always that slight wonder of what could have been if I found myself here in Toronto earlier in my career.

5. Ziarie Anigbogu recently resigned with the Legion for three seasons, what do you think of the extension? / (For NG4) How do you feel about resigning with Toronto? 

He's a solid player and securing him a depth player for 3 seasons is a great piece of business, hopefully being locked down for longer can motivate him to take his training to the next level as with his current trajectory I don't see him being a true star, a fate that I'm more than familiar with.

6. The trade deadline has passed, and Toronto held firm by keeping their S74 first and second round draft picks. Are you happy that there was no movement, or do you think Toronto should have acquired more players for a playoff push? 

I think it's the safe move and ultimately Toronto aren't in the position to go all in just yet so It's a good decision by the front office in my opinion. They can pick up a couple of good players to develop in the coming years.