Toronto Legion Weekly Presser

On 5/11/2020 at 1:57 AM, Peace said:

Off-season edition! 

Finally.

1. Did you expect Seattle to win the cup? 

2. With the off-season officially beginning... what do you think some movements in free agency will be? 

3. What do you anticipate for Toronto? 

4. Sadly, Toronto does not have any useful picks in the VHL Entry Draft, so do you think they'll be able to sign some quality players in free agency? 

5. What are your growth expectations for yourself while preparing for the upcoming seasons? 

6. Damien Wolfe will be joining the Legion next season. Are you excited for his arrival?

1. Not at all, in fact I expected them to get bounced in 4 games. The fact that they won is shocking to me.

2. Honestly? I have no idea, I don't even know who the free agents this year are, I come here to pay attention to my team and my team only.

3. Hopefully we can shore up our depth a bit, especially with Killinger likely moving to the blueline; that would give us top players at every position.

4. I really hope so, as we could definitely use some complimentary players to our core right now. It would definitely give us a big boost.

5. I would really love to push myself into consideration for the Boulet Award, since that's been a career goal for me since day 1. For that to happen my offense would really need to turn a corner.

6. Oh definitely, he came over here with me from Davos, so it's nice to see him finally making it to the big time!.

On 5/10/2020 at 10:57 PM, Peace said:

Off-season edition! 

Finally.

1. Did you expect Seattle to win the cup? 

2. With the off-season officially beginning... what do you think some movements in free agency will be? 

3. What do you anticipate for Toronto? 

4. Sadly, Toronto does not have any useful picks in the VHL Entry Draft, so do you think they'll be able to sign some quality players in free agency? 

5. What are your growth expectations for yourself while preparing for the upcoming seasons? 

6. Damien Wolfe will be joining the Legion next season. Are you excited for his arrival?

1. Not exactly. kinda thought Moscow would win XD

2. Not sure, I haven't heard any rumors but I hope we can pick up a few FA's!

3. I hope for a better season at least, but I know we may be in for another rough season.

4. I hope so is all I can say, good luck with that Peace.

5. To just improve, hit 600 TPE.

6. Yush, good to see him finally move up!

DRAFT EDITION! 

1. What did you think of Toronto's overall draft? 

2. What pieces of advice would you have for Michael MacJoseph Gainer and Ziarie Anigbogu?

3. What are your opinions about the trades that were completed during the draft?

4. We also added Anthony Matthews and Vladimir Shaposhnikov to the roster VIA trade. What do you think about their acquisitions? 

5. What do you think of Toronto giving up a potential lottery pick in the S74 VHL Entry Draft? 

6. Where do you think we'll end up drafting in the S73 VHL Entry Draft?

@Anthony Matthews @11 Eleven @Corco @Laflamme @Viperxhawks19 @Sixersfan549 @ng1291 @DaftRaincloud @Gwdjohnson @nethi99 @ROOKIE745 @Kachur @goldenglutes @NyQuil @joeg @JDGraves @LastOneUp @ngine4

( Also don't forget to claim training camp! Go to your player update page, it's located underneath 'Practice Facility' now. :D )

Edited by Peace

I think we did a very good job, as we were able to grab to impact pieces in the second round; I’m very confident that those picks will end up making a difference for the Legion in the future.

2. What pieces of advice would you have for Michael MacJoseph Gainer and Ziarie Anigbogu?

Be patient, rebuilding takes time; results don’t happen overnight, you just have to keep plugging along.

3. What are your opinions about the trades that were completed during the draft?

im not sure, as I wasn’t following the draft live, but in hindsight they definitely look to be interesting transactions.

4. We also added Anthony Matthews and Vladimir Shaposhnikov to the roster VIA trade. What do you think about their acquisitions? 

I think these were pretty good moves; we likely won’t make the playoffs this season, but these guys certainly help to fill out our roster.

5. What do you think of Toronto giving up a potential lottery pick in the S74 VHL Entry Draft? 

It’s a gamble that hopefully pays off. Worst case scenario it’s a lotto pick, and we add it to the pile of traded-away futures to the Legion. Best-case scenario, it’s 12th overall ;)

Hopefully 1st overall lol; we lost a chunk of our leading scorers from last season. With some luck, we all have decent individual seasons at at the expense of our record.

I'm not paid to follow the GM's moves, I'm paid to play.  So I don't really follow the draft.  But I heard that I was acquired on draft day.

2. What pieces of advice would you have for Michael MacJoseph Gainer and Ziarie Anigbogu?

Be not afraid to make mistakes...someone will try to blame you for everything, but know that it was most likely their fault.

I guess good...got me away from that slacker HHH.  He never comes to play the big games.

Legen.....wait for it....dary.....I hope to step up and show all those teams in the past why they should have held on to me...hop on Legion...we are going for the cup!

Isn't every draft where a season hasn't played a potential lottery pick?

Doesn't matter, I'll be retired by then.

23 hours ago, Peace said:

DRAFT EDITION! 

@Anthony Matthews @11 Eleven @Corco @Laflamme @Viperxhawks19 @Sixersfan549 @ng1291 @DaftRaincloud @Gwdjohnson @nethi99 @ROOKIE745 @Kachur @goldenglutes @NyQuil @joeg @JDGraves @LastOneUp @ngine4

( Also don't forget to claim training camp! Go to your player update page, it's located underneath 'Practice Facility' now. :D )

1. I think we did a great job. Got some top notch players who should not have slid as far as they did. There must be some nepotism or heavy drug use by other front offices.

2. I can not give myself advice so I will just absorb information.

3. I have only seen one of them and thought it was great!

4. Both are great teammates and big contributors on and off the ice. 

5. That could definitely come back to bite us in the ass.

6. We will pick 5th overall. 

On 5/18/2020 at 7:50 AM, Peace said:

DRAFT EDITION! 

1. considering we only had what? 1 or 2 picks way later in the draft? ya I think we did pretty good.

2, Train hard and never be afraid to ask for help, that's what we're here for!!

3. They were pretty worth it, I don't know how I feel about giving up yet another 1st rounder though.

4. They will Definitely make the upcoming season less painful.

5. Meh..... I'm not toooo happy about it but I'll live.

6. 2nd overall

On 5/18/2020 at 7:50 AM, Peace said:

DRAFT EDITION! 

1. I think it went great, I trust that the front office made good moves.

2. As one of the rookies I don't think I'm in a place to advise the others.

3. I didn't really watch the draft, so I'm not too sure. Again, I do trust the front office's judgment.

4. Those are most definitely hockey players. I think they'll play great hockey for the Legion.

5. Sounds like a risky move, but it could pay off. We'll just have to wait and see.

6. Hopefully low, because that would mean we did good.

EEhf9qKXsAEVFYy.jpg

Toronto Legion Press Conference

The VHL season is underway and with it another season of Toronto Legion Hockey! We caught up with some of the Legion's players to ask them a few questions about the state of the locker room and the team's performance so far.

• The Legion have started the season 3-4-0. How do you feel about the start of the season?

• What do you believe will be the team's strength this season?

• What do you believe will be the team's weakness this season?

• What are your goals for this season?

• The team just announced it's captains last week. What are your thoughts in the picks?

• There are a lot of new faces in the locker room. How has that experience been so far?

Thanks for taking the time today, everyone! 

@Anthony Matthews @11 Eleven @Corco @Laflamme @Viperxhawks19 @Sixersfan549 @ng1291 @DaftRaincloud 

@Gwdjohnson @nethi99 @ROOKIE745 @Kachur @goldenglutes @NyQuil @joeg @JDGraves @LastOneUp @ngine4

6 hours ago, Shaka said:

EEhf9qKXsAEVFYy.jpg

The VHL season is underway and with it another season of Toronto Legion Hockey! We caught up with some of the Legion's players to ask them a few questions about the state of the locker room and the team's performance so far.

• The Legion have started the season 3-4-0. How do you feel about the start of the season?

• The team just announced it's captains last week. What are your thoughts in the picks?

• There are a lot of new faces in the locker room. How has that experience been so far?

1. I feel pretty good, given our current situation as rebuilders. Our record isn't likely to get any better anytime soon this season, so we have to take what we can get.

2. Team chemistry, and we'll need a good amount of it if we don't want to finish in last place this season.

3. Probably team defense; our defense is a bunch of former forwards so this season will likely be a learning one. Jaxx Hextall will need to come up big for us a lot this season.

4. I would love to reach 1 PPG; if/when we don't make the postseason I would consider my season successful if I reach 72 points.

5. Being the captain is a pretty nice honor; I'm definitely more of a lead-by-example kind of captain than a vocal one though.

6. It's definitely been a positive one, when I joined Toronto the LR was extremely quiet in comparison to how it is now; it's a welcome sight to see.

For me it was a bit of a feeling out part.  Being new in town, I needed to see who needed my guidance and needed a push to perform better.  There was only a few minor tweaks needed (they won't even notice I was pushing them), but it seems to have turned things around now (7-4-1)

The will and determination to win.  To show that we can beat the #1 goalies and not just the backup everyone 'has' to play.

Trading for HHH.

To win the cup.

Should have been me...but I guess I don't go around fluffing all the boys before games, so I didn't get votes.  I'll just do what I do every other stop in my career, lead by example...and stitch my own 'C' on my jersey somewhere.

I am one of the new faces.  There is a real 'Major League' vibe here... I don't know if it was the GM wanting to sell the team or threatening to trade anyone to Davos...but it seems to work and the team just wants to win.  To show they can compete and no one should write them off.

On 5/25/2020 at 9:10 AM, Shaka said:

EEhf9qKXsAEVFYy.jpg

@Anthony Matthews @11 Eleven @Corco @Laflamme @Viperxhawks19 @Sixersfan549 @ng1291 @DaftRaincloud 

@Gwdjohnson @nethi99 @ROOKIE745 @Kachur @goldenglutes @NyQuil @joeg @JDGraves @LastOneUp @ngine4

1. Now that we're 8-4-2... I'm absolutely thrilled the Legion are doing amazing right now. 

2. I think our strength lies in effort. A lot of teams seem to be underestimating us, but a team of 'no super stars' keeps beating teams full of them. 

3. Personally I still think defense. We have three forwards that swapped for us, but our overall TPE earn rate at D is a bit shallow. 

4. Preferably... playoffs! 

5. I support them! 

6. I'm enjoying the increased activity. Always been my goal to build around active players, so little by little that is becoming a reality. 

On 5/25/2020 at 11:10 AM, Shaka said:

It's medicore. I know that Toronto can do better but it's not the worst start ever, either.

I think offense will continue to improve. Overall, the teams depth will pay off in the long haul as everyone continues to improve.

Goaltending. 

My goals are to be a top offensive player on my team. 

It was a solid choice from what I know of it. 

I haven't been online a ton since the offseason began. I am just trying to get back in to the swing of things now, but so far so good. 

On 5/25/2020 at 8:10 AM, Shaka said:

EEhf9qKXsAEVFYy.jpg

1. Well I would have said that's a half decent start but we're currently number 1 so never mind that lol.

2. Gonna agree with Peace on this, it's effort, we're just surprising everyone right now.

3. Defense for sure, with how many shots I'm facing ya.... hope I can keep playing like this.

4. Help the team make the playoffs, win a round if possible.

5. Good choices imo.

6. I mean I'm not new but it is nice, I see a certain someone has no faith in me though.

On 5/25/2020 at 8:10 AM, Shaka said:

EEhf9qKXsAEVFYy.jpg

1. Apparently it has gotten better since then, so I feel that it was a fluke.

2. I think that most of the players on this team are very good at all that hockey stuff. So like passing the puck and you know general hockey stuff.

3. The team will definitely struggle at losing games, it's going to be tough for the Legion to lose at all.

4. I just wanna get better at all that hockey stuff and win some games.

5. Although I'm not quite sure who was picked, I think they were probably good choices as I'm sure management only picked the most qualified.

6. What locker room haha ?

EEhf9qKXsAEVFYy.jpg

Another week is in the books and that means another press conference! We caught up with some of the Legion's players to ask them a few questions about the state of the locker room and the team's performance so far.

• After flying to the top of the league last week, the Legion have gone 5-5 in their last 10 games and sit at 13-9-2. How has the team handled the up and down start to the season so far?

• While the team-defense has been the focus of the off-season, Goalie Jaxx Hextall has continued to be a shining light for the team. His .930 save percentage is 2nd in the country, despite nearly leading the league in shot attempts against. How does the team feel about how he's playing right now?

• Newcomers Teemu Lehtinen Jr. and Anthony Matthews are on pace for career years. How has their play shaped the team on offense, thus far?

• Chad Magnum is also having his best start to a season after being selected as team captain. How would you describe Magnum's leadership?

• Erik Killinger and the Gutzwiler twins all three made the switch to defense this season and the team has seen an improvement. What can you say about their progression so far?

• Before the season, Toronto had modest expectations for S72. How has the start of the year changed the mindset around the year, if any?

5 minutes ago, Shaka said:

EEhf9qKXsAEVFYy.jpg

Another week is in the books and that means another press conference! We caught up with some of the Legion's players to ask them a few questions about the state of the locker room and the team's performance so far.

• After flying to the top of the league last week, the Legion have gone 5-5 in their last 10 games and sit at 13-9-2. How has the team handled the up and down start to the season so far?

• While the team-defense has been the focus of the off-season, Goalie Jaxx Hextall has continued to be a shining light for the team. His .930 save percentage is 2nd in the country, despite nearly leading the league in shot attempts against. How does the team feel about how he's playing right now?

• Newcomers Teemu Lehtinen Jr. and Anthony Matthews are on pace for career years. How has their play shaped the team on offense, thus far?

• Chad Magnum is also having his best start to a season after being selected as team captain. How would you describe Magnum's leadership?

• Erik Killinger and the Gutzwiler twins all three made the switch to defense this season and the team has seen an improvement. What can you say about their progression so far?

• Before the season, Toronto had modest expectations for S72. How has the start of the year changed the mindset around the year, if any?

1. I think our return-to-earth was expected; we came out of the gate on fire, and it took the other teams a little bit to get up to speed. I think we've weathered the storm decently at this point.

2. We love it; he's the reason we've had the start we have. If he can keep it up over the course of 72 games, I see no reason for him to not be in consideration for the Shaw Trophy.

3. They both absolutely have a chip on their shoulder, and it's been a huge gamechanger for our offense, if they can keep it up we may be in the playoff race way longer than people will expect us to.

4. I'll be the first to admit, I'm not a very vocal captain, I;m much more of a lead-by-example kind of guy, so it's definitely  nice to see the team responding well to that.

5. Their successful transition has been absolutely vital to our success this year; without them switching to D, this season might have been lost for us. They've been everything we've asked for and more.

6. I think our hot start has certain given us postseason aspirations, but it remains to be seen whether or not those expectations will be realistic over the course of the whole season; hopefully they do.

On 6/2/2020 at 10:42 AM, Shaka said:

EEhf9qKXsAEVFYy.jpg

I appreciate you keeping up on the press conference questions, Shaka! :D

1. I think we're handling it exceptionally well. We all knew being at the top was an untenable position, heck we're aware that the current position we're in in the standings might be too difficult to maintain as the season progresses, but if we can make the playoffs that would be amazing -- a reason I recently pulled a trigger on a three-way trade to add Fredrik Elmebeck to our defensive core. (Rest in peace, Elmebeck!) 

2. I think it's been claimed 'Jaxx Hextall is a stud' numerous times, and we all agree. 

3. They've certainly helped balance out our roster, but this is actually Teemu Lehtinen's second season with Toronto and I'm amped up that they're both on pace for career years with our hockey team. 

4. I think Magnum summed up his leadership style accurately above. He's not a huge presence in the locker room, but he's a reliable earner and wants the Legion to win a championship, so he's trying to lead by example and we're building off of it. 

5. Well Killinger has been pretty solid in my honest opinion... gotta plug myself, 'ya know! The Gutzwiler's making the move to D certainly contributed to Toronto's early rise to atop the VHL standings earlier this season, without them I doubt we would have achieved that at all. 

6. Honestly? My expectations haven't really changed, but I'm subtly trying to improve the team as we go along. I believe we have a shot at the post-season now, hence why I didn't really hesitate to add Elmebeck to the roster... among other reasons. 

8 hours ago, Shaka said:

EEhf9qKXsAEVFYy.jpg

1. Pretty well, staying 500 is better than under 500.

2. I was playing out of my mind then but my last few matches I've struggled.

3. It's made it a lot better, that's for sure.

4. Action over words.

5. They've been helping me out a lot.

6. It's making playoffs seem actually possible.

These things happen, what we need to take away from this is that when the puck wasn't going our way, we managed to put up a .500 record.

That Hextall, he's so hot right now

so hot right now hansel GIF

By grinding it out, and showing that you are never too old to have a career year.  Plus it makes you think what would have happened if other GMs had given them a chance earlier...instead of burying them on the 2nd line.

I have always walked to the beat of my own drum.  I may not wear the "C", but I act like it...Maggie's been a great counterpart for when I got nothing.

They are Killing it and playing their Gutz out.

I'd like to say I walked in and turned the radio up, but that is a lame reason to be seen as a leader.  My mindset was always to win, so for me it's never changed.  We have just made a our lovely GMs job a little bit harder.

On 6/2/2020 at 1:42 PM, Shaka said:

EEhf9qKXsAEVFYy.jpg

1. I don't know, all I know is Seattle pounds Toronto every given opportunity.

2. I hate him, missed him in the VHLM draft but we still won the cup so doesn't matter.

3. Well if they're doing good I bet it made the offense better.

4. Magnums are important brother ;)

5. Switching position is for losers no offense.

6. I still hate you.

On 6/2/2020 at 9:42 AM, Shaka said:

EEhf9qKXsAEVFYy.jpg

1. I think they've shown a lot of strength, and really pulled together during the rough patches. 

2. I don't know much about this team - but that guy is a stud.

3. They have shaped the offense into being a really good one. They just hockey at a really high level.

4. Magnum has great leadership, he's just a supportive guy who helps the team stay focused.

5. They are super versatile and that's helped them fit right in.

6. The team has really come together and now has bigger goals.

5b4e21f6db04422ba16bd2a88b17c1b1.jpg

• As of Thursday, the Legion are sitting at 22-17-3. With 30 games remaining, how do you feel about where the team is looking at the backend of the schedule?

• You guys are in the thick of a playoff race with the New York Americans and Vancouver Wolves. What separates the Legion from those two teams?

• Is it possible to make a run on the top 2 teams in the North American Conference, Seattle or Calgary?

• Chad Magnum is tied for 6th in the VHL with 20 goals, tieing his career high with 30 games remaining. Last week we talked about his leadership, but this week I want to ask how his offensive improvement has helped this team take the next step?

• He also leads the country in hits with hits with 173, a surprising development over the course of the first half of the season. Would you say the Legion's increased aggression on both ends of the court aided to the team's improvement this year?

• Lastly, Jaxx Hextall has come down a bit from his outrageous start, settling into a .919 save percentage. How important is his play to this team's playoff contendership?

On 6/11/2020 at 9:54 AM, Shaka said:

5b4e21f6db04422ba16bd2a88b17c1b1.jpg

• As of Thursday, the Legion are sitting at 22-17-3. With 30 games remaining, how do you feel about where the team is looking at the backend of the schedule?

• You guys are in the thick of a playoff race with the New York Americans and Vancouver Wolves. What separates the Legion from those two teams?

• Is it possible to make a run on the top 2 teams in the North American Conference, Seattle or Calgary?

• Chad Magnum is tied for 6th in the VHL with 20 goals, tieing his career high with 30 games remaining. Last week we talked about his leadership, but this week I want to ask how his offensive improvement has helped this team take the next step?

• He also leads the country in hits with hits with 173, a surprising development over the course of the first half of the season. Would you say the Legion's increased aggression on both ends of the court aided to the team's improvement this year?

• Lastly, Jaxx Hextall has come down a bit from his outrageous start, settling into a .919 save percentage. How important is his play to this team's playoff contendership?

1. Honestly -- with Vancouver selling and DCD fishing at the bottom of the NA Conference -- I think Toronto looks like they could make the playoffs this season. I have no idea why the Dragons are so low in the standings, they've got a competitive roster, but I'm not sure a resurgence would enable them to kick Toronto out at this point in the season. 

2. Hard work and some decent lines for STHS I suppose. 

3. Oh absolutely. We're 2-4 against Seattle, and 2-2 against Calgary, so we might be able to steal a few games in the playoffs. I'm not sure about winning them just yet though. 

4. Magnum has been awesome, but he's only one piece of the puzzle that is the S72 Toronto Legion. Honestly, the entire team is performing superbly, and Magnum is obviously a big part of that as Toronto's highest TPA forward. 

5. I don't think so, no, I think that the general improvement of the team made the difference. Our moves in free agency and trades brought us some valuable players, and our core keeps developing into players that are more competitive against the league. 

6. Simply put? We wouldn't be here if it weren't for Hextall's fantastic performance.