Toronto Legion Weekly Presser

1. As a member of the Toronto Legion, you've just celebrated thanksgiving in Canada. How did you spend your holiday, and what kind of food(s) did you eat? 

I kicked back, drank beer and watched whatever sport was on the tv. Can't remember the food but I had fun.

2. For thanksgiving, Toronto was awarded with two 5-2 victories to jump seven points above the team that could push them out of position. How do you feel about the teams post-season birth being slowly built up after a 1-9-1 start? 

It was bound to happen. The players are very motivated and have worked hard to get this far.

3. Jaxx Hextall has been nothing but quality in Toronto's last four games, including three games with forty one or more saves, do you think he's finally found his groove? / (For Rookie) Has Hextall performed more like you were hoping in the last couple set of sims, or do you expect more out of your goalie? 

Jaxx is a great goalie. I don't blame any loses on him. It was a team defense failure that set us back at the start, not Jaxx. He will be a very good goalie for seasons to come. 

4. Raleigh Ritchie announced his retirement for the end of the season, and is currently enjoying his best season in yet in the Victory Hockey League. How do you feel about his upcoming departure? / (For Danger) Ritchie is currently underway in his most productive season yet, did retiring come with hard decisions or did you know this is what you 100% wanted? 

I hope the best for him and I know all about retiring a good player. I was worth it.

5. Ziarie Anigbogu recently resigned with the Legion for three seasons, what do you think of the extension? / (For NG4) How do you feel about resigning with Toronto? 

That's great news. We have to solidify players for the future.

6. The trade deadline has passed, and Toronto held firm by keeping their S74 first and second round draft picks. Are you happy that there was no movement, or do you think Toronto should have acquired more players for a playoff push? 

I am very happy we kept our picks. They are easy to lose and hard to keep. We did good. Drafting will be critical.

1. As a member of the Toronto Legion, you've just celebrated thanksgiving in Canada. How did you spend your holiday, and what kind of food(s) did you eat? 

I spent the holiday alone in my apartment and was just eating some sushi.

2. For thanksgiving, Toronto was awarded with two 5-2 victories to jump seven points above the team that could push them out of position. How do you feel about the teams post-season birth being slowly built up after a 1-9-1 start? 

I feel like we are doing great and we are like underdogs who are trying to go against big guys.

3. Jaxx Hextall has been nothing but quality in Toronto's last four games, including three games with forty one or more saves, do you think he's finally found his groove? / (For Rookie) Has Hextall performed more like you were hoping in the last couple set of sims, or do you expect more out of your goalie? 

Hextall has been great last couple of games and it is great to see him doing well!

4. Raleigh Ritchie announced his retirement for the end of the season, and is currently enjoying his best season in yet in the Victory Hockey League. How do you feel about his upcoming departure? / (For Danger) Ritchie is currently underway in his most productive season yet, did retiring come with hard decisions or did you know this is what you 100% wanted?  I am not sure, I hoped he would stick around for one more season.

5. Ziarie Anigbogu recently resigned with the Legion for three seasons, what do you think of the extension? / (For NG4) How do you feel about resigning with Toronto? 
It is fantastic to tie up our stars for a longer time.
6. The trade deadline has passed, and Toronto held firm by keeping their S74 first and second round draft picks. Are you happy that there was no movement, or do you think Toronto should have acquired more players for a playoff push? 

I feel like we should take it slow and not rush anything. Everything is infront of this team!

On 10/12/2020 at 7:26 PM, Peace said:

New week, new PC. 

4. Raleigh Ritchie announced his retirement for the end of the season, and is currently enjoying his best season in yet in the Victory Hockey League. How do you feel about his upcoming departure? / (For Danger) Ritchie is currently underway in his most productive season yet, did retiring come with hard decisions or did you know this is what you 100% wanted? 

1. I imagine Hextall ordered in some chicken parm ^^

2. It's great, doing well now is really washing away that bad start.

3. I'm very happy with how he has been performing, I'd like a few more shutouts but the wins are the most important stat, not just for me but the team.

4. It's a shame but I understand, I do wish you would stay but I understand his choice.

5. It's great, I think he's got a lot of potential!

6. I'm happy with the choice, I think it was the right call. Not just for the future but also for the now, I feel this might be the last draft that these player(s) could come in and help us make a push for us players from the S70 draft.

On 10/12/2020 at 7:26 PM, Peace said:

New week, new PC. 

1. I just took the time to relax a little from the stress of the hockey season. It was a really fun time just seeing the city come together and celebrate. As for food, just went very traditional.

2. It's awesome. Just a sign of this team's resilience. We're only getting better, and hopefully we can lock up that playoff spot and do great things once we're there.

3. Jaxx was always going to turn it around, a small rough patch in an otherwise fantastic career is nothing more than a tiny blemish to his resume. We believed in him, and he believed in himself and now our team is rolling.

4. Ritchie is a great player, so it's of course a big loss to the team. However, outside of that I just wish him good luck on his life outside sports. He's a great guy in the locker room and one of the few familiar faces on the team, so it was nice having him around for the season.

5. It's awesome. Toronto's been super accommodating to me this whole time, even when I haven't been a consistent player or prospect. I hope to reward their loyalty to me one day by working to become a higher level player, but for now I just hope the depth I provide can get this team some wins come playoff time.

6. I like the group of guys we've got. I don't think we needed any moves, and I'm happy the front office believed in us as much as we do ourselves.

Toronto PC: 10/19/2020

1. Toronto has battled into 3rd place in our conference and is in a tight race for the playoffs, what do we need to do to finish off this season? 

2. Is there a particular team you’d like to see us faceoff against in the playoffs?

3. Who has been the team MVP up to this point of the season?

4. As AGM what are some things you’d like me to do for the team other than pressers? 

5. It's been a long season are you guys wearing down at all or are you just now hitting your peak? 

6. Hit me with your favorite food combos! We could sell them during games or something.

On 10/19/2020 at 7:27 AM, Dtayl said:

1. Toronto has battled into 3rd place in our conference and is in a tight race for the playoffs, what do we need to do to finish off this season? 

2. Is there a particular team you’d like to see us faceoff against in the playoffs?

4. As AGM what are some things you’d like me to do for the team other than pressers? 

5. It's been a long season are you guys wearing down at all or are you just now hitting your peak? 

6. Hit me with your favorite food combos! We could sell them during games or something.

1. A little late, but we secured the third seed. We'll face off against Seattle, it'll be tough but we've slayed bigger dragons this season. Issue is, we need to slay them four times. 

2. Vancouver! 

3. I couldn't really tell you, everyone has been performing well in my opinion. Career seasons, strong nights, this season was certainly a team effort. 

4. Engage more with the team.

5. No rest for the Legion. We fight until there is no fight left. 

6. Arby's Curly fry poutine, an upgrade from the original. 

Play our game and we will be in the playoffs.

Seattle would be a great test for us.

Everyone on our team is an MVP.

Hand out the towels in the shower would be great of you.

Just hitting my peak. 

Sardine/peanut butter sandwich.

On 10/19/2020 at 6:27 AM, Dtayl said:

1. Just keep doing what we've been doing during the past weeks. We've climbed by playing this way, we'll stay here if we continue to do so.

2. Nope. Any opponent, we'll be ready.

3. Jaxx Hextall. Yet again having a great season.

4. Whatever it takes to get us wins!

5. I think we're at a higher level than ever as a group. Fatigue plays a part sure, but our team chemistry gains outdo that.

6. Man I'll just keep it simple. Some nice fried chicken, some mac, and greens.

On 10/19/2020 at 6:27 AM, Dtayl said:

1. We battled hard, that's what we did.

2. Calgary or the Wolves, my rivals in other words.

3. Mcdagg, gonna miss they guy.

4. well if you ever want to do an interview type thing I'm down for that.

5. I think we've only warmed up through the season, and now we're ready to give it our all!!

6. Pizza and root beer!!

1. Toronto has battled into 3rd place in our conference and is in a tight race for the playoffs, what do we need to do to finish off this season? We need to win the playoffs, because everything starts at that point from the start.

I would like to play against Helsinki, because they were my previous team.

I am not sure, haven't paid too much of attention to it.

I think you are doing your job great.

I am wearing down a little bit, but it will be fine.

Some veggie sandwich.

Quick PC! 

1. Regardless on where Toronto lands in the draft -- hopefully sixteenth for obvious reasons -- there are still quality prospects deep into the second and potentially third rounds. Do you have anyone you're interested in that's 'off the board' at all, or are you content leaving the scouting to management? 

2. We're currently enjoying a series lead against the Seattle Bears, do you think we can close the series off and advance to the next round against either the Vancouver Wolves or DC Dragons? 

3. As your general manager -- in times where you've needed me for anything -- how helpful have I been for you? 

4. Our team has been lead offensively by our captain, do you have any thoughts about that? / (For Corco) You've been a quiet leader during your tenure with the Legion, and now you're leading them once again in your second playoff appearance. How do you feel about that?

5. It's been a season removed since we made the playoffs (S72) -- how would you describe the feeling you have about being in the post season? 

6. Do you think Toronto has what it takes to make the playoffs again next season? 

(Since tags seem to be working again, I can tag you for easy notification:)

@Corco  @Steve @osens @DaftRaincloud @ngine4 @ROOKIE745

Edited by Peace

On 10/27/2020 at 9:26 AM, Peace said:

Quick PC! 

1. Regardless on where Toronto lands in the draft -- hopefully sixteenth for obvious reasons -- there are still quality prospects deep into the second and potentially third rounds. Do you have anyone you're interested in that's 'off the board' at all, or are you content leaving the scouting to management? 

2. We're currently enjoying a series lead against the Seattle Bears, do you think we can close the series off and advance to the next round against either the Vancouver Wolves or DC Dragons? 

3. As your general manager -- in times where you've needed me for anything -- how helpful have I been for you? 

4. Our team has been lead offensively by our captain, do you have any thoughts about that? / (For Corco) You've been a quiet leader during your tenure with the Legion, and now you're leading them once again in your second playoff appearance. How do you feel about that?

5. It's been a season removed since we made the playoffs (S72) -- how would you describe the feeling you have about being in the post season? 

6. Do you think Toronto has what it takes to make the playoffs again next season? 

(Since tags seem to be working again, I can tag you for easy notification:)

@Corco  @Steve @osens @DaftRaincloud @ngine4 @ROOKIE745

1. I'll leave it to you guys, I don't really know of the people making new players, at least I haven't talked to them myself.

2. Well since I'm doing this late I already know we won and are facing the Wolves and are tied at 2 a piece.

3. Very, any time I needed advice or vent you've been there, thank you.

4. Leading by example, I like that.

5. more fired up then ever, I believe we can make a deep run.

6. Yes, very much so, even though we make loose a player or two I think we'll still be fine.

On 10/27/2020 at 9:26 AM, Peace said:

Quick PC! 

1. I haven't seen any misses from management in my short tenure here, so I'll continue to trust them with drafting.

2. A bit late, so yeah we have advanced and I believe are playing the Wolves. I think we'll take care of business here too.

3. Extremely so! I really know near nothing about hockey or this league, yet you've made it easy for me to stick around and at least partially contribute.

4. He's just so dependable and reliable, it's great having him on the team. I feel good having him as our main offensive weapon, simply because he hasn't let us down yet.

5. It's awesome, it's why we worked all season. Being here is a fulfillment of those hours, and now we still have some work to take care of.

6. Of course. Maybe even as a higher seed.

I am leaving the scouting to the smarter people - managment. They know better than us.

Well, we did, but sadly we lost against Vancouver, it's fine, we'll get them next time!

I haven't really needed anyone, but you have been pretty active so that is really good!

Captain needs to show everyone example how to play, and he is doing his best and I think he is doing great so far!
It is fun! I haven't had a season without playoff hockey, so I am thankful that I have a chance to play in some playoffs.

I think we do, and we will comeback even stronger! Get ready VHL, Toronto is coming!

I don't have any opinions on prospects.

We will best the Bears and lose in a good series to Vancouver. According to the Psychic Hotline.

Wait, you are the GM? Cool. Always been helpful and fair.

Well somebody has to step up and lead the pack, might as well be the high skilled captain.

Always fun to make it into the playoffs. Never thought we wouldn't.

Well I hope we don't get worse during the off season. I would think the future should be brighter.

1. Sadly the Legion were eliminated in game seven of the NA Conference Finals, but there's a list of positive feats we accomplished this season. What would be your favorite thing Toronto overcame or accomplished this season? 

2. What was your reaction when Toronto defeated Seattle four games to one? 

3. As an individual do you consider this season a success... or a failure? 

4. What have you been doing so far this off season? 

5. Toronto has a few picks in the upcoming entry draft, what are you hoping the team does with those picks? 

6. On a scale from one to ten... how do you rate Toronto's season? 

1. Sadly the Legion were eliminated in game seven of the NA Conference Finals, but there's a list of positive feats we accomplished this season. What would be your favorite thing Toronto overcame or accomplished this season? 

A poor start and the ability to adjust our game to be successful.

It felt really good. Great team effort.

A huge success. We improved during the season and made a good push. 

Nothing but rest then back to training.

5. Toronto has a few picks in the upcoming entry draft, what are you hoping the team does with those picks? 

Picks anyone that is actively trying to improve.

9.5. We were a lucky bounce away from being in the finals.

On 11/3/2020 at 11:35 AM, Peace said:

1. Making it to round 2, also being able to bounce back from our terrible start, we've made a name for ourselves of not going away easily.

2. HELL YA!!!

3. A success, still getting better, somehow lol.

4. Playing a lot of Destiny 2 because vaulting starts soon.

5. My answer is still the same, defense. Though like before overwhelming offense isn't bad either.

6. an eight, we bounced back and went to game seven in the playoffs.

I feel like nobody saw us making it so far. We tasted Finals, but sadly couldn't close it out. But we did more than everyone waited from us.

I guess happy, but I already saw it coming, because we had solid squad this year.

I consider this season a success, because it was my rookie season and it was really good with a lot of goals!

Just eating some pancakes!

I am not sure. I think GM knows everything.

8, there is always room for improvement.

On 11/3/2020 at 11:35 AM, Peace said:

1. Overcoming that terrible start. Winning a playoff series was wonderful, but I think us getting their in the first place is a major accomplishment, and a testament to our work ethic and growth.

2. It was just so relieving honestly. Like the excitement came later - but the relief in knowing that our work wasn't going to just be forgotten was huge.

3. I don't know much about the stats, and don't care much for them. I was on a team that won a decent amount of games and a series - success for me.

4. Getting my body into better shape, working on my game, and trying my best to work through this never ending pandemic.

5. Whatever management feels is right! They definitely know much more about drafting than me, I'll let them do their job and I'll do mine.

6. 8/10. We made some progress and also established ourselves, but we didn't finish off the ultimate goal. Championship is still on the list.

Let's go Toronto! 

1. In your opinion... how was Toronto's S75 VHL Entry Draft? | (For Draftees: What was your reaction when you discovered you were selected by the Toronto Legion?)

2. John Merrick was irritatingly disregarded in the Top Rookie discussion, while recently retired Ritchie wasn't even a nominee for most improved... so how would you rate your faith in our 'award committee'?

3. Jaxx Hextall is sticking around! What do you think about having a solid goalie in net? | (For Rookie: When asked to waive your NTC, what made you decide you wanted to stick around in Toronto?) 

4. In your honest opinion... was moving Killinger and Magnum a mistake or a requirement? 

5. What are your own personal projections for your player in the upcoming season? 

6. What about the Toronto Legion? How do you think we will do this season.

@Steve @joeg @gregreg @NickSunderbruch @osens @Matmenzinger @DaftRaincloud @Gwdjohnson @ngine4 @ROOKIE745 @DoktorFunk @fromtheinside @Callahan @Bobby Bummhole @Jackson Wilson

1. In your opinion... how was Toronto's S75 VHL Entry Draft? | (For Draftees: What was your reaction when you discovered you were selected by the Toronto Legion?)

Well sadly I was at work for the draft but I was checking my phone every once inawhile to see if I had any DMs. Eventually an old teammate from Saskatoon DM'd me and said "congrats on going to Toronto, a Leafs fan playing for Toronto... perfect fit!" I was super super excited when I read that. I had 3 preferred destinations and Toronto was one of them.  When I got home and was able to look at how the draft went down, I was shocked when I saw you guys traded up and got me in the first round. Almost all the projections I read had me going in the 2nd round, so for you guys to have that much faith in me felt amazing. I won't let you guys down. 

2. John Merrick was irritatingly disregarded in the Top Rookie discussion, while recently retired Ritchie wasn't even a nominee for most improved... so how would you rate your faith in our 'award committee'?

To be entirely honest, I don't know enough about the process or the circumstances around this years nominations and selected winners. But I do think you should go off precedent. So in years past for RoY, has it just went to the highest point getting rookie? If so  then that's fine, but it should be consistent. 

3. Jaxx Hextall is sticking around! What do you think about having a solid goalie in net? | (For Rookie: When asked to waive your NTC, what made you decide you wanted to stick around in Toronto?) 

Honestly I think having a rock solid goalie is one of the biggest things for a team. And Hex is an absolute monster, so being able to bring him back is a huge plus for our team. I am super excited to play in front of him and help keep the pucks out of our net :) 

4. In your honest opinion... was moving Killinger and Magnum a mistake or a requirement? 

So this is another question that I would say I am not entirely qualified to answer but I'll give it a shot. Killinger and Magnun were absolute monsters for Toronto last season. However in competitive sports it's all about timing. In this league players get aged out very fast so I think the ultimatum was this... do you keep them a little longer and hope to fight and claw your way to the playoffs, or do you blow it up and keep your younger core, acquire some great draft picks in the upcoming drafts and try to rebuild into something stronger. I think this was neither a mistake or a requirement. It was a tough judgement call. Only time will tell if it was the right call, but I am hopeful!

5. What are your own personal projections for your player in the upcoming season? 

Well there are alot of intangibles here. I think the most likely scenario is that I stay down in the M with San Diego for S75 where we should be a competitive playoff team. Myself and my Marlins D partner Cowboy Prout will both be capped at 250 pretty soon. I think we are gonna crush it together and I could have a very nice season down in the M. I would really love to make a run at the Founders Cup. Now, alternatively.... maybe something happens and the Marlins decide they aren't going to be contenders. In that scenario maybe I get called up to Toronto and dip my toes in the VHL waters. It's a possibility but I'll do my best wherever I end up.

Word around the locker room is that we are gonna have a tough go at it this year. But that's fine. You need to look big picture. We have the pieces in play to turn this into something beautiful. This season is a stepping stone. If we stick to #THEPLAN I foresee great things in our future! @Peace will guide us to the promiseland :D

1.. In your opinion... how was Toronto's S75 VHL Entry Draft? | (For Draftees: What was your reaction when you discovered you were selected by the Toronto Legion?)
We were able to get great players that also fit a need that we needed. Adding two defenceman of that skill with the 2 picks we had in the first round is fantastic!!

Look those fuckers will just vote for whoever has the best stats because they're the laziest pieces of shit the VHL has!

We're a young team so having a veteran goalie to save us if we do make mistakes is great. We will win more games this season just because we have Hextall. I'm so glad we have him here for now and for the future. 

No, not at all. We needed to retool on the fly and those two got us a very big return. It sucks they had to move on but getting those picks will help the team win a lot quicker. 

I'm going to win the RoTY (Leo Strauss) it's a lock! I will lead the team in everything because I am just THAT good! 

We are going to fight tooth and nail for a playoff spot but we will sadly miss. 

On 11/11/2020 at 1:30 AM, Peace said:

Let's go Toronto! 

@Steve @joeg @gregreg @NickSunderbruch @osens @Matmenzinger @DaftRaincloud @Gwdjohnson @ngine4 @ROOKIE745 @DoktorFunk @fromtheinside @Callahan @Bobby Bummhole @Jackson Wilson

1. Pretty good thanks to the picks and your (Peace's) effort in pre-draft interviews.

2. Not very highly, as I read it's more of a popularity contest, I think I only got 1 vote back in S71?

3. I always think of how much faith you put into me back when you traded for me (along with other players) and I wanted to return that faith, but it was hard because I knew if I was traded I could at least help with bringing in another pick. As I've said before though, my heart is with the Legion.

4. I don't think it was a bad choice at all, no one wanted come here and if we did another season it would have just been a season of spinning our wheels so to speak. I imagine it was hard but it was better than staying neutral.

5. Maintain numbers around my previous seasons...... I hope.

6. Just slightly over 30 wins would be my guess. Probably no playoffs but one can hope.

On 11/11/2020 at 4:30 AM, Peace said:

Let's go Toronto! 

1. I mean we got 2nd overall, we're gonna be rebuilding but the draft really helped us.

2. I'm not sure, I wasnt even considered for any VHLM awards in my final year in the minors. So probably not too high.

3. Having a solid goalie is KEY, it's the man in the pipes who saves games. Should we even make the playoffs Hextall could absolutely steal some series.

4. I'm not sure, we got some good value out of it in my opinion, so probably a requirement.

5. Rookie of the year, hands down I'm gonna make it.

6. We'll be a wildcard team and be playing in the lottery tourney I think.