New York Americans Press Conference Questions

STZ

The off-season is really long

1.  What could be done to make the off-season more engaging for members?

2. How do you stay busy when there’s no hockey to be played?

3. While the NA conference looks pretty set in stone, what are your predictions for the EU?

4. What’s been the most interesting part of your offseason?

5. On a semi-more serious note, how does the current Davos situation look?

6. 49ers or Chiefs?

13 hours ago, ColeMrtz said:

3. While the NA conference looks pretty set in stone, what are your predictions for the EU?

6. 49ers or Chiefs?

1. An offseason tournament could be fun. Maybe bring back the old hall of game players and have them play against current stars.

2. Write, cook, dance, repeat. 

3. Davos number one. 

4. Getting to know the new players in NYA.

5. Drama is good sometimes.

6. Raiders! Duh.

Offseason games, tournmanents, basically any type of competition to keep things engaging.

Drinking, eating, drinking, traveling, drinking.

Probably Davos.  They're good after year.

Stayed away from hockey.  A lot of time spent at bars, clubs and pubs.

Doesn't matter, we'll beat them anyways.

6. 49ers or Chiefs?

49ers.  Defense wins championships

I actually don't mind an offseason that's a bit chill. Things like the World Cup take a lot of work, and I think it's more fun if it's every once in a while.

I've been immersing myself more in the business side of the team. I enjoy looking at things like the cap, and I'm happy to help out there.

I don't really have set opinions, but I do find Prague extremely interesting this year. I want to see them make a run - they seem like the EU version of New York, with a lot of depth and young players making a run for the first time.

There was probably the murder charge. But we don't talk about the murder charge.

I honestly didn't have a strong opinion on the matter since I wasn't particularly plugged in, but after seeing the long "call out" thread the commishes probably made the right decision. It's a thankless job, sure, but one that does require a high level of engagement. I hope Gustav does well.

6. 49ers or Chiefs?

Heart says Chiefs, head says 49ers. I have some friends in/around Kansas City, want to see them have some joy.

Fresh hot PC

1. We've started in the middle of the pack but are leading the Low Division. Where can we improve to make sure we maintain that lead?

2. Whose start has been more surprising so far: Seattle or Toronto?

3. Is Joseph McWolf gonna finish with more hits or more PIMs this season?

4. Who has been the biggest key to the team so far this season?

5. We have the second most PIMs in the league and the third worst PK%. What can we do to improve those numbers?

6. Who has been the unsung hero of the team so far this season?

Edited by .sniffuM

23 minutes ago, .sniffuM said:

Fresh hot PC

1. We've started in the middle of the pack but are leading the Low Division. Where can we improve to make sure we maintain that lead?

5. We have the second most PIMs in the league and the third worst PK%. What can we do to improve those numbers?

1. stop taking so many penalties and/or stop allowing shorties.

2. Seattle. Threepeat they said. Ayyy

3. Hits. Hopefully.

4. Dalton Wilcox has scored some important goals and A Red Guy has been clutch.

5. Bench McWolf and Flowers. Trade McWolf and Flowers.

6. A Red Guy. Keeping us in every game is important. 

1. Special teams are horrid right now but should rebound. A couple different faces this year, so chemistry should build naturally. Not worried.

2. Seattle, but they look similar to our start last year. They will figure it out.

3. Hits. I hope...

4. I would say McWolf is working out really well. Solid vet presence who is leading the team in a lot of places.

5. Take less penalties. Be smarter on pk. Not much more you can do but focus.

6. The captain. Still not putting up flashy numbers compared to parts of the rest of the league but he's every bit as talented.

On 1/19/2020 at 11:27 PM, ColeMrtz said:

6. 49ers or Chiefs?

1. Biggest idea on my mind would be awarding small TPE rewards for draft based articles or discussion. And predictions!  (Maybe you can only predict in the league you're not in? Or are predictions already a thing?)

2. (IC) Well, practice! The occasional meal, a movie or two. However, most of my time is spent at home with my family when i'm off. 

3. As i'm new to the VHL, I don't really know much about either the conferences. I'll learn, but as of yet i'm not sure. 

4. (IC) At the end of the offseason I was notified by New York management, they had said they were very, very happy about my progress and that I had outdone what they expected. I'm definitely proud of that, and i'd say it's interesting. 

5. Well.. drama isn't my cup of tea. Unless I caused it. Then I grab some popcorn. 

6. What is this non-hockey sport?

Improve our PK and defense.  We give up a lot of goals late in games.

Probably Seattle.  They're going to get better though.

PIMs.  Having a goon who can put up points is important.  Make the other guys watch their backs.

I lead the team in goals which is nice.  but a Red Guy is providing great goaltending as usual.

Take less penalties in general.  Stay back instead of trying for the shorties all the time.

Boris.  Not putting up the numbers as expected but is our team glue guy, on and off the ice.

We can probably improve on our scoring and defense to get better over other teams. 

I would say Seattle, I expected them to do quite a bit better. 

Hopefully hits, we don't want him in the box too much!

The addition of a strong Defenceman like McWolf has been huge for us!

Stop taking bad penalties and work on our defense and penalty kill more in practice

Fredrik Elmebeck has done a great job blocking shots and moving the puck around.

Edited Sunday at 06:19 PM by .sniffuM

I forgot we were called the Low Division. That's funny. My suggestion is that we not be a third year expansion team or a rebuilding squad, and we should be fine.

Seattle, has to be. Everyone expected an actual challenge at the title, not whatever this is.

It's going to be hits, but man, those penalty minutes aren't good, are they?

The refs. Seems like they've singlehandedly decided a lot of our games, so I've decided to pump up their feelings a bit.

Well, I think we should play more defenseman Lance Flowers. Because if you notice, he is not in the top ten most penalty minutes, and thus is obviously not penalty prone whatsoever.

For probably my only serious answer, it's really nice to see Wilcox start out as hot as he has. A lot of preseason pub went to Forest and Jansen and Ylonen, understandably, but he's been a real star that has kept us in early games.

On 1/26/2020 at 5:19 PM, .sniffuM said:

Fresh hot PC

1. Efficiency, reducing PIM, PK%. Also this is kinda vague but our players need to play with better coordination and harmony. 

2. Seattle, I think. 

3. Hit hit hit.

4. A Red Guy always doin work. 

5. Maybe a change in defensive lines might help. 

6. My man Elmebeck.

Press

1. At 8-10-3 we sit 7th in the league, tied in points with both Toronto and Malmo. Where do you think we should be?

2. After a couple of struggles, i.e. losing to Davos a lot, what do you think needs to change?

3. If you had to give the NA conference a power ranking, what would you say?

4. McWolf has been representing the Americans on the point boards, coming in 4th among all defensemen. How has his performance affected our program?

5. What do you do off the ice to improve your game?

6. Who has had the most surprising season thus far, either by player or team?

4 hours ago, ColeMrtz said:

Press

1. At 8-10-3 we sit 7th in the league, tied in points with both Toronto and Malmo. Where do you think we should be?

2. After a couple of struggles, i.e. losing to Davos a lot, what do you think needs to change?

4. McWolf has been representing the Americans on the point boards, coming in 4th among all defensemen. How has his performance affected our program?

1. Better than that, but its still early. Too much talent in the room to suck this bad for much longer

2. Not sure. I'd be ok not playing Davos again for a while though.

3. Vancouver Calgary Seattle NY DC Toronto. Hopefully subject to change.

4. Dudes a stud. Motivates you to go get him a cup in his last year.

5. Study tape a lot. Try to recognize what other good teams do and mimic what works.

6. Borwinn is going nuts. I think Calgary overall is my biggest missed prediction. JB Rift having a big year

On 1/26/2020 at 9:19 PM, .sniffuM said:

Fresh hot PC

1. Consistent Growth amongst our players will probably be the biggest thing. Keep chugging, guys!

2. Again dont pay attention to the VHL overall much so. Not sure!

3. With a name like that, definitely PIMs.

4. Speaking of McWolf...

5. Not be as.. immature and undisciplined? It's pretty simple.

6. Obviously Jaxon Walker

We should definitely be doing bettrr, nust gotta win the games that we should.

We gotta keep working on figuring out our PK.

Vancouver would definitely take the top spot, Calgary's playing out of their minds but they've been cooling a bit recently. We'd be third for now but it would still take some work to stay over Seattle.

He's been huge for us.

I keep ice in my shoes so thst I'm always on the ice.

Calgary's start has been a big surprise.

I sort of figured we would be a middle of the pack team but hopefully we can pick it up going forward.

Perhaps shaking up the lines or making a trade. 

I think Vancouver and Calgary are the top two teams followed by us and Seattle. DC and Toronto will probably end up missing out on the playoffs but it is close. 

On 2/2/2020 at 10:53 AM, ColeMrtz said:

Press

1. We should be doing much much better. Been taking out my frustration rage eating banana cream pies.

2. Maybe I should be eating less banana cream pies.

3. New York number one (please.)

4. McWolf doing work, as usual. He's a legend.

5. Gotta be stronger, stronger. *breaks into Kelly Clarkson song*

6. I guess us underperforming. 

Unexpected press because I have hit a wall on my project

1) As I'm sure we all know by now, teammate and all around great guy Elmebeck has recently passed away. What's your fondest memory of our friend?

2) We are only 5 points out of fourth in the league, do you expect us to make it there?

3) We are only one goal off from last in the league with goals for, how do we fix it?

4) @studentized's breakout season is bolstering our offense, being on pace for around 60 points. Who else is having a breakout season either with us or around the league?

5) If you could move for one player in the league who would you want to see in the red, white and blue?

6) If you weren't playing hockey, what would you be doing?

1) As I'm sure we all know by now, teammate and all around great guy Elmebeck has recently passed away. What's your fondest memory of our friend?

Talked a bit about collaborating on some cool play by play analysis for the VHL. Never really got anywhere and that's kind of a bummer looking back.

2) We are only 5 points out of fourth in the league, do you expect us to make it there?

I sincerely hope so. We've been a better 2nd half time these past two seasons, so reason to be optimistic.

3) We are only one goal off from last in the league with goals for, how do we fix it?

Wild. I did not know that. Maybe take less penalties. Idk

4) @studentized's breakout season is bolstering our offense, being on pace for around 60 points. Who else is having a breakout season either with us or around the league?

In before you jinxed it. Just read about Benny graves of DC who is having a solid sophomore year

5) If you could move for one player in the league who would you want to see in the red, white and blue?

Julian Borwinn mvp. Make it so.

Begging on the street for food.

He has definitely been solid for us in keeping us in the playoff race! Hope he keeps it up. 

Good nutrition and exercise is always important to improve the on ice game

I'm pretty surprised by my own player Soren Jensen's play. He has had quite a poor season. 

1) As I'm sure we all know by now, teammate and all around great guy Elmebeck has recently passed away. What's your fondest memory of our friend?

We played on the same VHLM together in Houston and worked out a deal to play together with the Americans in the VHL.  He was my closest friend in my early VHL days.  RIP my friend.

100%.  We can be way better than we've been showing recently.

More shots.  Less fancy plays, simple passes, get pucks on net.

4) @studentized's breakout season is bolstering our offense, being on pace for around 60 points. Who else is having a breakout season either with us or around the league?

I feel like im missing out since breaking out in my rookie year.  I hope i can break out offensively for NYA soon, we really need it.

The MVP Julian Borwinn.  Always great to add one of the top players in VHL history.

Professional athlete in a different sport.  Probably football or basketball.

His positivity and appreciation for deep statistical analysis always brought a smile to my face.

We remain in the hunt, just goes to show we've continued to improve.

We need to get Boris going a bit more. We are a team with strong depth though so sometimes it can be hard for some guys to get it going.

4) @studentized's breakout season is bolstering our offense, being on pace for around 60 points. Who else is having a breakout season either with us or around the league?

Matt Tocco's been a great breakout player for Riga.

I think adding Jet Jaguar would give us a really legit core of scorers.

I'd be starring in movies directed by Martin Scorsese.

Discussing the future of Saskatoon - renaming it - what music the team would officialize, that kinda stuff. Miss you, man.

I expect us to try our best, as always!

I'm not so sure we can fix it this season. I don't think we need to, either

4 [PLAYER]'s breakout season is bolstering our offense, being on pace for around 60 points. Who else is having a breakout season either with us or around the league?

Our goaltending - a red guy. He's been super solid.

Whoever the leagues best prospect and locker room personality is atm.

Playing... hockey. Simulators. 

Edited by David O'Quinn