New York Americans Press Conference Questions

STZ

1. How are you celebrating the start to the regular season?

Just another day.

2. New York is sitting 2nd in NA and 5th Overall to start the season, how do we feel going forward?

Our GM has low expectations and I feel we would be lucky to make the playoffs.

3. True rookie Soren Jensen has had an exceptional start to his career with 4pts in 6 games. How does this youth production impact our program?

I have no opinion on "our program". Great start for a rookie.

4. Expansion teams DC and Prauge claim to have their footing under them, coming out undefeated opening night and remaining as middle of the pack teams, do you expect any breakout seasons for their programs?

Both are well managed teams and I would expect them to excel.

5. We recently upset the cup favorite Moscow Menace, how do we feel coming out of that game?

I feel nothing. It was just another game.

6. Who’s the loudest personality on the NY bench?

Nobody stands out. All are the same level of  LR activity.

1. How are you celebrating the start to the regular season?

Celebrated a little too hard last night. No more for me. 

2. New York is sitting 2nd in NA and 5th Overall to start the season, how do we feel going forward?

Too early for standings to matter, but we've played well. Feeling good about our game, just need to keep it up.

3. True rookie Soren Jensen has had an exceptional start to his career with 4pts in 6 games. How does this youth production impact our program?

Adds a top line forward to our future. That's a good thing.

4. Expansion teams DC and Prauge claim to have their footing under them, coming out undefeated opening night and remaining as middle of the pack teams, do you expect any breakout seasons for their programs?

Not really. They will still be last in their conferences imo.

5. We recently upset the cup favorite Moscow Menace, how do we feel coming out of that game?

I think everyone had fun. It's fun to win against anybody, cup favourite or not.

6. Who’s the loudest personality on the NY bench?

Steve is the chattiest for sure. I don't know about "loudest personality" though.

Edited by studentized

Like I always have: spinach and cigarettes.

Obviously the standings are a big clump right now, that's the nature of the league at this point, especially this early. It's gonna be a bit before the standings get sorted out.

Soren's a true franchise player and it's exciting to see his talent paying off immediately.

I think there are too many quality teams for them to establish themselves as cup contenders, but it's a testament to the quality of their GMs that they're already pushing for playoff spots.

5. We recently upset the cup favorite Moscow Menace, how do we feel coming out of that game?

It was a great bounceback to have after not scoring on over 60 shots against Toronto.

Guy Legrande does a lot to get the team pumped up whether he's on the ice or off of it.

Team Dinner at the best New York Steakhouse :)

It's a good start but we need to keep it up to not get complacent!

Jensen seems to have transitioned alright to the pro level. As he continues to improve he should become a star for New York!

I expect better seasons from both teams this seasons however I don't think they will be contenders quite yet.

Always great to take a win off a top team. Especially against @gorlab

Kevin Foreskin is always shouting something in a french accent so i will go with him!

On 11/17/2019 at 8:17 AM, ColeMrtz said:

For this week:

1.  not celebrating.  Working hard in the gym, on the ice and in the video room.

2.  There's always room for improvement.  I feel we can be one of the top teams in the league.

3.  That's great.  I was in his shoes last year but nobody gave me any credit.

4.  I expect us to breakout soon and to banish those teams back to the shadow realm.

5.  We should be expecting more of those types of games, especially if the lines are fixed.

6.  Maybe Guy Le Grande.  He sure says the most in the locker room.

With a little bit of bubbly on ice. Perhaps too much bubbly before the start of the season? Never, nothing will go wrong against Toronto...

It's always amusing reading these questions a few days later, now that New York is next to last in the VHL. So, not great, I suppose?

I said all along that offensive firepower is what the team desperately needed in the draft, and it seems we have gotten it. I hope he's an American for a long, long time.

Prague yes, because they've made some win-now moves and can reasonably be expected to finish ahead of Davos. I still need to see about D.C.

It does show that this team has the capability to win on any given night. Now, what we need is a little consistency, and that's something we haven't shown so far this season.

I mean, when you have a guy literally named "The Forest," it's tough for him to be anything but brash and loud and a commanding presence. So with that, I'll have to say... Frans Eller.

On 11/17/2019 at 8:17 AM, ColeMrtz said:

For this week:

1. We celebrate if we win a cup, til then we gotta hustle.

2. Can’t get too high with the highs or low with the lows.

3. Def exciting to build with Soren. 

4. I don’t care about how they do tbh. ?

5. Keep our head down and keep working.

6. Ryo Yamazuki II does a pretty mean “Dont Stop Believing” at Karaoke.

I'm honestly a bit beat after all the hard job the past few months. This is perhaps not the best time to rest, but it's what I feel I need to do in order to have a good finish to this season. 

Answering this a few days later and five losses in a row, we need to find our play and possibly move around the lines a little bit to get going again.

Considering the majority of the team is S68 the difference isn't that huge, but everyone seem to grow quickly and steadily of all the new players that have joined the past few seasons.

Both have started quite well, solidly in the middle of the pack. If they can both keep it up we may see them in the playoffs, which in a sense would be a "breakout" during only their second season.

A better consistency afterwards would have helped. I think we will fix that during the season though, but hopefully in time to secure a playoff spot.

Mr Big Guy, @Steve Guy LeGrande of course.

JuSt aNOtHer dAy

That didn't last long eh

Hope he succeeds in New York. Best of luck, they really need him.

4. Expansion teams DC and Prague claim to have their footing under them, coming out undefeated opening night and remaining as middle of the pack teams, do you expect any breakout seasons for their programs?

Not the two worst team in the VHL is an exploit for them. And if the trends continues, this will become the case for them.

Helps other teams close the gap in the standings.

Should not be loud at the moment eh

Presser for week ending 12/1

1. With our season starting out on the wrong foot, how do you keep your morale high?

2. We have been in some real hard fought games. How do you feel your about your player and his/her compete level?

3. With Thanksgiving coming up fast, will you make time to stay in shape or pig out?

4. We have  some young players really doing well under the circumstances, who sticks out in your mind?

5. What changes would you like to see on our team, be it players or playtime?

6. What do you like most about our team so far?

1. Playing the piano, watching cartoons, riding rollercoasters.

2. Work in progress! Never not growing.

3. Def gonna relax and indulge on Thursday, but hitting gym hard Friday morning.

4. I’m excited about the work our rookie Jensen is doing. He’s gonna be dangerous in this league. 

5. We need more passing and skating all around.

6. Good crew, good positive mentality. 

1. With our season starting out on the wrong foot, how do you keep your morale high?

It's all about how we finish. Goal is to try to figure some things out for the future and build some momentum.

2. We have been in some real hard fought games. How do you feel your about your player and his/her compete level?

Just not good enough overall. Too invisible too often. Some positive games I can use though, just need that consistency.

3. With Thanksgiving coming up fast, will you make time to stay in shape or pig out?

Been there done that with this whole thanksgiving thing this year. Will still eat like a pig though.

4. We have  some young players really doing well under the circumstances, who sticks out in your mind?

Gotta love our goalies. A Red Guy projecting out to be a top one

Whatever it takes to win. We've played lots of close games we just need to close them out. Personally working on getting stronger and faster.

We're trying things. Trying to figure it out. The effort is there just none of the payoff yet.

1. With our season starting out on the wrong foot, how do you keep your morale high?

I just keep on going. Even if the dawn of day looks dark, I still just keep on moving regardless of the despair felt at that period.

I feel like I haven't been contributing to the team enough and that I'm just taking up a roster spot.

I hope I can turn things around and that by season's end, I'll be better.

Stay in shape of course. I don't really eat much at the table and will often choose to eat afew things.

4. We have  some young players really doing well under the circumstances, who sticks out in your mind?

No one really. All the young guys are doing the job well and executing nicely.

Probably changes that help us win more games. It's been a stinky 1st half and it would be nice to pull in people that can help get the job done.

Whole experimental vibe going on here. I like how we're playing around with ideas and concepts to help our season out and become better and junk.

On 11/25/2019 at 11:21 AM, Jtv123 said:

JuSt aNOtHer dAy

That didn't last long eh

Hope he succeeds in New York. Best of luck, they really need him.

4. Expansion teams DC and Prague claim to have their footing under them, coming out undefeated opening night and remaining as middle of the pack teams, do you expect any breakout seasons for their programs?

Not the two worst team in the VHL is an exploit for them. And if the trends continues, this will become the case for them.

Helps other teams close the gap in the standings.

Should not be loud at the moment eh

Go steal someone else's media spot again.

1. With our season starting out on the wrong foot, how do you keep your morale high?

Alcohol, lots of it.  Throw in the occasional hard drugs.

I've been competing hard but just not producing on the box score.  Our last few games have been close and I think we're close to breaking out.

Uh, stay in shape of course.  I am a dedicated professional.  Whatever I eat I will sweat it out, in more ways than one.

Me?  I'm still a fairly young player.  But not really, I'm sucking ass.

I'm not sure what we can change at this point.  Like I said, we're close to breaking out.

Everybody is given a chance to produce, no matter how skilled you are.  

•  

1. Walk us through your game

day routine as you prepare for a match up.

2. Some athletes are very superstitious - do you have any lucky superstitions so you succeed in games?

3. Who was your favorite athlete growing up?

4. Name one player in the VHL you want to challenge to a one on one face off.

5. They are casting the biopic of your life - who should play you?

6. It was @Esso2264’s birthday what are you getting him?

7. What should we work on so the Americans finish the season strong?

8. If the New York Americans rebranded they should be called the New York _____

1. Walk us through your game, day routine as you prepare for a match up.
Six raw eggs, just gulp it down. Go for a run to Madison Square Garden while shadow boxing and also shouting New York-things at tourists, high-fiving cab drivers.

2. Some athletes are very superstitious - do you have any lucky superstitions so you succeed in games?
To be there early is on time, being on time is late. I guess it doesn't count as a superstition, nor am I sure I live up to it, but just being prepared, meticulous will help you perform so much better.

Steve Yzerman probably. I liked the original Russian 5, some Swedish players... but Stevie is my man.

Nicklas Lidström... or Gary Oldman doing his best effort acting as Nicklas Lidström.

6. It was @Esso2264’s birthday what are you getting him?
I actually asked him for poutine.

Americans is so perfect, this is possibly the team with the best name over both VHLM and VHL. But I'd go with something in that vein, pertaining to liberty, constitution, Ellis Island or something in that vein.

1. Walk us through your game

No routine for me. I wing it everyday.

Superstitions are for pussies. 

Gordie Howe

I don't do faceoffs. I am on defense.

John Wick

6. What should we work on so the Americans finish the season strong?

We are playing as intended, why mess with success now.

__

1. Walk us through your game

Eat. Sleep. Suck. Repeat.

None that have worked. Shooting the puck is going to be my new superstition.

Jumbo. So good and always having fun on the ice.

Gritty cause he's an animal. Probably would drop the mitts instead.

Just got to be better than DC and Calgary. Not the outlook you usually want to have to be a good team but I feel like on paper we should be better. Need to make sure we win those games from this point on.

New York American'ts

(For week ending 12/1, will do the other later this week)

It's tough, but just have to keep an eye towards the future. We know we're a young team growing towards something.

Hasn't been my best season, to be totally fair. I figured there'd be some regression to the mean given how well I did last year, but it's still not fun.

I mean, I'm a big dude, and I hit people. Of course I'm going to pig out, because that's what I'm supposed to do!

He may not be at the level he wanted to be entering the season, but it's nice that Wilcox is leading the league in PP goals. At least take one positive from this.

Just need more firepower overall, everyone seems to be regressing a bit this year. Just one of those seasons, I suppose.

Everyone's keeping a positive attitude, even with the struggles so far. We're going to need that for the rest of this year.

1. Walk us through your gameday routine as you prepare for a match up.

I squeeze my many lumps into my various pads and uniform, I watch an episode of iCarly, and then I go get it.

I only use peanut butter from the bottom of the jar, otherwise my brother would turn into a llama.

The greatest bubblebrawl middler of all time, A Turquoise Guy.

My biggest rival, fellow S68 goalie Raymond Bernard.

I played Leonardo Decaprio playing Jordan Belfort in Wolf of Wall Street, so he should return the favor for me.

6. It was @Esso2264’s birthday what are you getting him?

Two baguettes.

1. Walk us through your game day routine as you prepare for a match up.

Smash a couple of pre-game beers.  Maybe a pizza or burger and fries if I'm feeling extra sassy.

None.  Just walk through my pregame routine and I'm good to go.

Wilt Chamberlain.  1000 kills is a hard number to reach and I admire his tenacity and drive.

Whoever is best looking.  Brad Pitt, Ryan Gosling are all great options (no homo)

We really need to step up our party game.  Weekend benders need to last an actual full weekend, boys.

The New York Wheel Snipe Cellys

Just got to stay motivated and keep training. Need to work on our scoring especially if we want to have success. 

Jensen has has a pretty rough season thus far but it is to be expected since he is a rookie and not much of a scorer.

Have to pig out a little of course but will have to work it off in the following weeks!

•  

1. Walk us through your gameday routine as you prepare for a match up.

I'm a big proponent of getting into the zone. For me, that means a lot of carbs, then listening to some metal to pump me up. Don't want to too many people, just let me get on the ice.

I didn't really watch much hockey until I got older, so it was Wayne Rooney when I was young. But then again, didn't really have the football body type, and the rest is history.

I'm going to say it'd be Finn Davison. Because lord knows I'm not winning a face off against a center, so a goalie seems like a good bet.

I think it'd be Benedict Cumberbatch. Just let me be pretty for once, please.

There are only so many times I say we should keep on keeping on, but I really do think that we'll only get better with time.

Canadians. I like a good sense of irony as much as the next guy.