Vancouver Wolves Press Conference

Beaviss

On 7/9/2019 at 6:29 PM, rjfryman said:

4. Who are you most excited to play with on our roster? Of the new faces/ of returning teammates.

5. What are your goals for this coming season?

6. What do you think about the GM's moves this offseason?

7. Which rookie do you think will have the best season?

8. Which player(s) do you think will get an all-star node this season?

9. What was the last junk food you had before starting training camp and getting back on diet?

10. What rookie prank do you like doing the most/ which rookie do you think will get pranked the most?

4. Who are you most excited to play with on our roster? Of the new faces/ of returning teammates.

Gritty is one, he has good hands and solid shot, Wolfe on defense is another, he has eye for those opening passes, so I feel we could do some damage out there.

5. What are your goals for this coming season?

Win a lot of faceoffs, anything over 60% is good and then score 50 goals, that is a tough challenge, but with bit of luck - I can get there!

6. What do you think about the GM's moves this offseason?

Some I guess were ´forced´ ones, Davis did not want to continue here, but Kingfisher is a solid upgrade to our goalie situation from last year, but season is still early - get a better feel on how well the moves pan out later in the year.

Hafkey and Scott are talented players, so I think they will surprise many, but Eagles in net might end up having the best year still, don´t have to play in every game and can learn the VHL game in more of a limited role.

Louth might be one, elite player still, but Freeman and Wolfe could be up there as well - taken big steps forward!

9. What was the last junk food you had before starting training camp and getting back on diet?

Pizza and chocolate cake! Gotta love good chocolate cake.

10. What rookie prank do you like doing the most/ which rookie do you think will get pranked the most?

I like to keep thing simple and ask them to get me stuff, it´s not really a prank to be honest, but simple: Hey rookie, go get me a bottle of water or hey rookie, pass me the puck are some that I personally like to use. Never been much of a prankster myself.

1. Now that the season has started; how do you think you have been playing? There's always room for improvement, especially considering I am only 8 games into my VHL career.

3. How do you feel about our team's performance? There's definitely room for improvement, but as I stated earlier it's early in the season and anything can happen.

5. Who do you think will snap the team out of its current woes? A change up in the lines, 5v5 or special team strategy or a trade potentially, but it could also be too early to say for sure what's wrong. Though the team is in the best hands possible with our management and I have faith we can get back on track.

8. How are you liking your current ice time? Honestly I'm happy to just have a role in the VHL at this point, I'm not too worried about getting more ice time over someone else so long as the coaches are happy with everyone's performance.

9. What role on the team do you feel like you have right now? What role do you wish to have by the end of the season? Ideally I'd like to be in a scoring winger position considering my play style previously on the Reapers and growing up.

10. What is one thing you would change if you were GM for a day? Pink tape for everyone, stick tape, shin guard tape, everything.

On 7/16/2019 at 3:00 PM, rjfryman said:

New Presser!

1. Now that the season has started; how do you think you have been playing?

2. Which teammate do you think you have the most chemistry with?

3. How do you feel about our team's performance?

4. What strategy do you think you would change if you could? Or would you?

5. Who do you think will snap the team out of its current woes?

6. Are you excited about who got the captain and assistant captain?

7. Any words of advice for the new leadership team?

8. How are you liking your current ice time?

9. What role on the team do you feel like you have right now? What role do you wish to have by the end of the season?

10. What is one thing you would change if you were GM for a day?

1) Gritty like the rest of the team has been below average. I think everyone is shooting too much

2) Palo because he is a beast and I love JRuutu

3) Terrible we are playing below average and do not look like cup contenders at the moment

4) Beaviss spends way more time looking at the strats then I do so I will leave it to him

5) I think if our goaltending picked up that would help tremendously

6) I am excited that the team voted me assistant captain that is really cool. Also happy for IR to get captain he has been killing it since he returned to the league

NEW PRESSER

1. How do you think you have played this season? Team wise and player wise?

2. Thoughts on our 3rd place in the conference so far?

3. Do you think we will move up to 2nd (3 points behind Calgary), stay in 3rd or drop to 4th (1 point ahead of Seattle)

4. Thoughts on the Legions 19-2-2 season so far? Are they guaranteed 1st in the NA?

5. Thoughts on Kingfishers season so far? 

1. What did you do during this offseason?

Chill out with @HenrikZoiderberg and @chillzone. Fire up the empanadas on the dirty grills and chuck back some Coronas. Maybe lift some heavy things. 

Palo. He's a beast. Also Gritty, cause who doesn't like Gritty. 

Not me. 

Not me. Palo probs. Maybe Louth. 

See question above for my daily meal with da Boyz. 

Me. I will be. But I haven't yet. So here's hoping. 

On 7/16/2019 at 10:00 PM, rjfryman said:

New Presser!

9. What role on the team do you feel like you have right now? What role do you wish to have by the end of the season?

Can´t complain, over point per game pace and I have been shooting like crazy, I´m happy on the way the year has started.

If we look purely what happens on the ice, I´d say me and Gritty have nice chemistry out there, he can hold on to the puck really well and also has the ability to pass, so we get along well.

Could have been better of course, but we are in a playoff spot, so it could have also been worse when it comes down to winning games. I like the high energy offense with a lot of shots, only matter of time before we start to score more and more.

I would not change that much to be honest, maybe keep an eye on the shootouts and see who scores and who does not, then change the shooters at some point if needed.

I´ll say Jagr and Gritty, both have been bit unlucky so far, they make things happen out there, but for whatever reason that has not always shown in the scoreboard. When they get going, it´s going to be fun times.

Yes! Always great to see new names take bigger roles in the team, Wolfe will be a great captain and Gritty is a excellent A, I´ll try to lead on the ice with my example.

Edited by jRuutu

New Presser! 

1. How do you feel about your player build at this moment in time?

2. Who is your favorite team to play against?

3. Who is your rival on another team?

4. Which goalie this year is the hardest to play against?

5. If you could take over any vhlm team which would it be.

6. Have you changed your workout routine this year yet?

7. What role do you want on this team?

8. What do you think our team identity is/what should it be?

9. What game plan change would you do for team/personal success?

10. Have you heard any trade rumors that make you interested in how the rest of the season will turn out/ our team or others?

Edited by rjfryman

I am happy with the build, I've gotten asked to a degree to build him to a certain "mold" which is almost identical to how I'd planned it before. 

I'd say Minnesota, or Saskatoon, I like both teams, have history with both of them, so it's always fun revisiting the teams. 

Don't really think I have one right now, I generally get along with everyone so I haven't really rivaled someone yet. 

I'd say a lot of them are fairly even right now, not one over the other to make a clear-cut decision yet. 

I run San Diego, and am happy there, I love it in San Diego.

Not yet, same old routine haha.

Well right now I am captain, which is insane, second year in and this is my role, and I'm super excited about it. 

I think right now we're viewed as "underdogs" despite our finish last season, I think we're right where we should be an an effective team. 

I mean obviously I'd love to see my guy succeed more, but at the end of the day I am all for team success. 

10. Have you heard any trade rumors that make you interested in how the rest of the season will turn out/ our team or others?

Nothing, nope, wish I knew more than I did haha, would make it more fun. 

1. How do you think you have played this season? Team wise and player wise?

I am playing hard but still have a lot of work to do. Team is getting better too. 

The wolves are playing better than the beginning of the season. Finally getting some puck luck. 

3. Do you think we will move up to 2nd (3 points behind Calgary), stay in 3rd or drop to 4th (1 point ahead of Seattle)

I think anything is possible so yes the Wolves have the ability to go far. 

4. Thoughts on the Legions 19-2-2 season so far? Are they guaranteed 1st in the NA?

They are doing great. But nothing is guaranteed. 

Kingsfisher is playing great. He also has one shut out also. Good save percentage !

I have added more focus on my conditioning and skating drills.   

Edited by Jbeezy76
Needed to add the 6th question to get the 2nd TPE

On 7/24/2019 at 11:02 AM, rjfryman said:

New Presser! 

1) I don't think my player build fits well on the team because literally everyone on Vancouver is a shooter

2) Seattle because they are always an easy win

3) DT because he talks trash and never backs it up

4) Any goalie because we constantly clobber teams shots wise but still lose

5) Philadelphia because I am from Philly and love Philly

6) I go to the gym in bursts where I will consistently go for like a week or 2, then stop, then go back. I also play rec soccer on weekends, tennis, and pickleball. Thanks for asking!

Its okay. Hard to tell with my spot on the team. I've been running some advanced statistics and I will be the build/stats guru soon. Just need to start gathering more data. 

Da Bears. Cause @HenrikZoiderberg and I always seem to light it up against each other. 

Pepper hands down. 

Hawaii. Miami. ? @Banackock

I'd love to drive myself up the leadership ladder. Captain and and mentor. Leader and teacher. Maybe even bump Beaviss out lol

I've heard Ylonen a lot. But honestly who knows. There's a few teams that are looking okay but could use a player or two to make the jump to be contenders. We are one of those teams. It will be interesting.  

Very good. I've been earning steady and have had decent success in terms of my playing time

Always my man @leafssteen, can't wait until he's back in the starters role

JB Rift has been great for TO

Reapers cause I loved my time there

Working on one day being a top liner

9. What would you change for personal success (something like that I deleted it by mistake!)

I'd see my ice time be increased, I think my build is in a good spot to score a fair amount, but the ice time will come in the future.

Liking it right now, still needs some more TPE and some more work but it's going in the right direction.

Any team that has some ex-marlin players on it, always fun to play against the guys you played with in the minors

I have no rivals yet but if I had to pick would probably be any of the goalies drafted before me.

Seems like Rift out of Toronto. We always struggle against him.

Probably the Marlins just because that is where I started my career but at the moment they already have a great gm ;) 

I am consistently changing my routines to make my play better. It takes a lot to be a starter and I am making sure I am doing all the proper things while being a backup to put me in a position to be a starter in the fiture

1. How do you feel about your player build at this moment in time? There's definitely room for improvement but I'm optimistic I'll grow

4. Which goalie this year is the hardest to play against? Definitely JB Rift. Guy never loses a game practically. It's insane.

5. If you could take over any vhlm team which would it be. Philadelphia Reapers

6. Have you changed your workout routine this year yet? Nope, no reason to change what isn't broken

7. What role do you want on this team? Scoring forward, easily.

9. What game plan change would you do for team/personal success? Personally I would just want to get more offensive chances created. Pucks on goal, smart passes and shots, etc.

I thought it was a pretty good one but I suppose not. 99 Scoring, 85 in the stats that matter and even 85 in strength. It doesn't seem to be working right now though.

Riga this season, we seem to have their number.

Mikko Aaltonen or Arnor Sigurdsson, they were both drafted ahead of me and I think I am better than them.

JB Rift, apparently he's a stone wall in the net.

I'd bring back the Bern Royals. Sweet name, nice logo. sick colors.

Pretty good, wish I had more tpe but happy with my build for the tpe I have

Toronto would be fun so i could beat up dragomir but toronto is murdering everyone so probably moscow riga or davos

It's not really a rivalry after i easily swept him in the playoffs last year but Chico Smeb on Riga

J.B Rift on toronto is scary

Mexico City as they clearly need some new management 

I think most people want to have as big a role as possible and its no different for me, but i'm not at that level yet tpe wise.

Edited by Kylrad

On 7/16/2019 at 10:00 PM, rjfryman said:

New Presser!

Don´t be afraid to get physical if its something that needs to happen, good to set the tone sometimes and show what happens when younger guys step over the line.

No complaints really, playing a lot and getting PP time too, so in a pretty nice spot!

I´m one of the leading players I´d say, big expectations to play well and I hope at the end of the season I´m worth the role I´m in at the moment, that is my goal and wish - to play so well that they still have to play me a lot in the future.

I would remove the need to wear suits for the tactics/video meetings, it´s just us usually, so why the need to be so professional?

On 7/22/2019 at 9:37 PM, TheLastOlympian07 said:

NEW PRESSER

I think the team has played well overall, some up and downs to start the year, but after that we have been playing better and better. I´m scoring a lot, so I´m happy on how I have been able to play so far as well!

I think we are better than that to be honest, so I´m expecting to see the team finish higher in the standings when season is over.

We are second right now, but it´s intense battle. Toronto is running away, so I reckon we will fight for the 2nd place with Calgary and Seattle.

1. How do you think you have played this season? Team wise and player wise? team wise ok, player wise pretty good

2. Thoughts on our 3rd place in the conference so far? Probably what was expected but 2nd would be nice or a more gap on 4th

3. Do you think we will move up to 2nd (3 points behind Calgary), stay in 3rd or drop to 4th (1 point ahead of Seattle) any of the 3 are very possible but i'll guess we'll stay in 3rd

4. Thoughts on the Legions 19-2-2 season so far? Are they guaranteed 1st in the NA? rigged, they're a pretty safe bet for first

5. Thoughts on Kingfishers season so far? good, I think maybe i didnt check
7. Any words of advice for the new leadership team? you can't be any worse than elias dahlberg

On 7/22/2019 at 9:37 PM, TheLastOlympian07 said:

NEW PRESSER

This is somewhat late answer, but they are still up there and having a killer season. I´d say so - they are number one in NA and more than likely number one in whole VHL for regular season. Just too big of a difference to the rest.

Plays well at times, even steals games, but then he almost completely shits the bed. Of course in those games the offensive players are also looked at, but Kingfisher as a goalie has been playing hot and cold so far.

On 7/24/2019 at 6:02 PM, rjfryman said:

New Presser! 

I´m happy with it, of course there is always room for improvement, but offensively I´m doing well and winning faceoffs at fair rate, so I´m happy!

Right now I have to say: Malmo. I seem to score loads of points against them and the games between our clubs are high scoring, so a lot of fun!

Joel Ylonen and I used to fight fairly often when we met during the past seasons, but recently no gloves have been dropped, so I guess the rivalry is dead. I´ll say Borwinn and Thompson from Helsinki, I hate those guys.

Pepper was pain in the ass early in the year, we could not get enough past him, so I´ll go with him!

Questions:

1. Ranuo Palo is in the lead for points this season will he finish on top?

2. Beau Louth is retiring and Brock Louth is coming up what are your thoughts?

3. Vancouver has been very 50/50 lately how will they do the rest of the season?

4. What are your goals stat wise for the rest of the season?

5. If you could change one thing on the Wolves what would it be?

6. Are you a fan of the current logo?

1. Ranuo Palo is in the lead for points this season will he finish on top?

yes he will finish in first overall. 

2. Beau Louth is retiring and Brock Louth is coming up what are your thoughts?

Good luck to Brock and Beau has a good run. 

3. Vancouver has been very 50/50 lately how will they do the rest of the season?

They will get on a hot streak and win some critical games. 

Just to keep scoring points. 

Just for them to be more consistent. 

Yesi like it. 

6 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

1. I feel like he will, he's an exceptionally talented player and he has all the potential in the world to stay on top

2. The changing of the guard is always a fascinating time, and it's even richer here with the Louths swapping the reign

3. I'm optimistic, so I have faith the team can pull together a few nice win streaks and come out as one of the top teams of the league again.

4. If I can get that +/- up a bit more and maybe put up double digit goals, I'll be happy

5. A couple more wins wouldn't be horrible ;)

6. Absolutely, I love it

44 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

Questions:

1. Without a doubt. What kind of GM doubts his star player?!

2. More space for me and Brock will be probs just as bad ;) 

3. Probs not good cause their star rookie is being buried on a position where his stats are not built for. 

4. Analyzing past patterns I will say I may get 1 more goal. 

5. The logo. 

6. ^ No. We need a new one. We aren't frenchies no mo. Let's get the re-brand rolling. 

For sure, Palo has been on a roll, leading in both goals and assists.

It sucks losing a 90+ point player but the help on the back-end will be great. I think our other forwards will step up and fill the void

I think we will be fine, a lot of games have been unlucky and by 1 goal. I think in the second half the luck will come our way and we will end up on the winning side of the 1 goal games

Looking to finish the season with a .900 + save percentage and under 3.00 GAA. So far it has been going well

Being more consistent, the 1 goal games are really killing us but overall I think things are going well

Definitely, I think it looks great