Vancouver Wolves Press Conference

Beaviss

1. So the preseason is almost over what was your favorite thing about this summer? The cup parade we had in Vancouver and the parties we held for sure. It was easily the best summer of my career.

3. Where do you think we stand starting this season? Coming off back to back Cup appearances and a victory in the finals, I expect nothing less but greatness from this team for the season.

5. What are you going to do to the rookies and transfer player to welcome them? Give them the exact same warm welcome I was given when I first joined the Wolves. Once you join, you're family and that's that.

6. What role do you see yourself this season? Hopefully a better scoring winger, but I don't expect to pass some of the great talent we have right now, so I probably see myself in a depth scoring position.

7. How do you think this new squad will come together this season? We've all meshed pretty well prior to training camp and I definitely see that chemistry translating to good things on the ice.

8. What kind of player are you going to try and be this season? Like I said in question 6, probably a scoring winger. I do want to put up double digit goals at least and maybe that many assists too. But just playing for the Wolves is gonna be an honor in itself.

On 9/3/2019 at 1:56 PM, rjfryman said:

New Presser:

1. So we just won the cup. How do you feel?

2. What do you think was the key to this run?

3. Which team mate are you most proud of?

4. We sent Beau Louth off the best way we could, what does he mean to this club and to you personally?

5. What do you want to say to any Free Agents out there about why they should consider joining the wolf pack?

6. What are you going to do with your day with the cup?

7. Two finals appearances in two years what do you think our chances of making it three in a row?

8. We have had two long seasons back to back what will you do to relax this offseason?

9. What is the memory you will think of most this post-season outside of winning it all?

10. What are you going to do to make yourself a better player for next season? 

1. I feel amazing right now. 2 seasons, 2 finals and 1 win is a great way to start a players career.

2. Everyone doing their jobs. Especially Beau who was outstanding.

3. Hard to pick just one, we all worked hard out there. But if i had to choose its Ben, he scored the cup winning goal in OT.

4. He was great in my 2 seasons here. Heart and soul guy wil great skill.

5. We're 2/2 since coming to Vancouver come help us make it 3/3 for finals and 2/3 in wins.

6. Parade around the Czech Republic.

1. So the preseason is almost over what was your favorite thing about this summer.
relaxing and not having to do stuff

2. How do you think we did in the draft?
pretty good probably since we won the cup then picked 4th oa somehow

3. Where do you think we stand starting this season?
we lost a few players I think but are still young and have lots of good players so probably still a playoff team minimum 

4. If you could get any free agent who would it be?
I dont think hes a free agent but playing with Jet Jaguar would be nice

5. What are you going to do to the rookies and transfer player to welcome them?
Not much im still pretty young and new to the team seems like a job for the vets

6. What role do you see yourself this season?
probably 2nd d pair again im assuming. 

On 9/9/2019 at 6:21 PM, rjfryman said:

New Presser:

1. So the preseason is almost over what was your favorite thing about this summer.

Resting after extremely nice season and playoffs, there is nothing like it, watching the cup ring makes time spent anywhere that much more special!

I think we did really well, Downey is going to be a star defender in this league and he can help us right away, Bolonee might need season more in the juniors before he is ready, but extremely talented defender who has everything you need to play a great career in VHL.

Not sure to be completely honest, I know we have the ability to score goals, but how can we defend as a unit? That is bit of a mystery when the forward and defensive pairs look different that in the playoffs, but I´m expecting a positive start to the season.

Not sure who all are FA´s or were, but player like Thompson is a no brainer really, legendary winger would help every team in this league and I think we could find really nice chemistry with him in our lineup.

Share my never ending knowledge about VHL of course, so going to try and answer the questions they might have and maybe even pass the puck to them during training camp and games we play during it.

One of the players who are expected to make things happen in the offensive end, big role - but I´m excited to see how it goes!

1. So we just won the cup. How do you feel?

Bloody freaking great, mate.

3. Which team mate are you most proud of?

Palo. He's worked his *** off all year and really deserved this cup win.

4. We sent Beau Louth off the best way we could, what does he mean to this club and to you personally?

Everything. Being the GM player, he was an honorary captain of sorts. I can't think of a more fitting ending to a storied career than scoring the GWG.

5. What do you want to say to any Free Agents out there about why they should consider joining the wolf pack?

You wanna win a cup? Then why would you go anywhere else?

6. What are you going to do with your day with the cup?

Fill it with Wawa Chocolate Milk. Then I'll drink out of it. Repeat until I can't drink any more milk.

7. Two finals appearances in two years what do you think our chances of making it three in a row?

100%. Mark my words, we will make it back to the finals again.

I got to relax a little bit and enjoy time with family.

Everything looked just fine to me.

I think the Wolves be just as good as last year.

Honestly I'm not even aware who the big free agents are because I haven't paid attention to anything but raising my TPE.

I am one of the newbies so I couldn't actually say!

I am going to be mostly playing with my minor league team and probably will be called up next season.

New Presser:

1.The New Captains have been announced. What do you think of the choices?

2. Any words of advice to the captains?

3. How do you feel about the start of our season?

4. How have you been playing as of late?

5. Do you think we are doing the right things in order to succeed this season?

6. If you could change one thing about your game what would it be?

7. What are you most proud of in your ability to play the game

8. What has been the hardest thing this season to get over from the last.

9. What advice would you give to the rookies?

10. What do you think about your early role this season?  

All 3 deserve the roles, great group of players who will do a great job leading us back into the finals

I think we are off to a great start, we should have been undefeated but 2 one goal game losses hurt us a little.

I am happy with my play so far, sure there is more work to be done but sitting 8th in save % and 4th in GAA is a good sign

Let in less goals, I still need to work to get a lot of my abilities up

Keep earning that TPE and update through the season, will be a huge help to the team!

I am happy with my role and getting a shot at being a starter. Will do my best to help the team get back into the finals

I think they're good. Palo is the leader and another vet plus 2nd overall Freeman.

None, I think they'll do fine this season.

I think we are doing awesome. 6-1-1 tops in the league.

5 points in 8 games isnt that bad, so let's hope for at least 72 points this season.

Practice every week nothing has changed at all

3. How do you feel about the start of our season? 6-1-1 is a great start, I see the team keeping up the pace into the rest of the year for sure

4. How have you been playing as of late? I'm liking my game on the third and fourth lines. I'm getting the job done and I'm happy.

6. If you could change one thing about your game what would it be? Maybe a few more goals wouldn't hurt ;) 

7. What are you most proud of in your ability to play the game? Definitely in the general improvement from last year. I was a -21 last year and I'm starting as a +8 with 3 points. That to me is an infinite improvement.

9. What advice would you give to the rookies? If you struggle to start, don't let it get to you. You'll have an off year or two but who knows, maybe you'll score a game 7 OTW to propel your team to the next round ;) 

10. What do you think about your early role this season? It's perfect for the type of player I am, I think I can really help the team out in a depth position.

On 9/9/2019 at 6:21 PM, rjfryman said:

New Presser:

7. How do you think this new squad will come together this season?

8. What kind of player are you going to try and be this season?

9. How was training camp, what was your favorite memory from camp?

10. Which player do you see being an all-star this season?

7. How do you think this new squad will come together this season?

I reckon we will find good balance eventually, might be tough at first to find the right combinations for lines, but we have so much talent in the team that it´s only matter of time. Trying new things is not a big deal either since there is real depth available to be used, so I have full confidence in our roster, going to be good year.

8. What kind of player are you going to try and be this season?

Hopefully I´m able to score goals and be a difference maker on the PP again, special teams and the PP is a huge weapon, get that firing and you are winning games, so that is where I´m focusing.

9. How was training camp, what was your favorite memory from camp?

Tough - like always, but it was a good camp. Getting to see everybody after the summer was my favorite memory, hearing the stories what everybody did when they had the cup was special.

10. Which player do you see being an all-star this season?

I think Freeman will be there, he will score impressive amount of goals this year, Philliefan has more than nice chance to be there as well, he is collecting those assists and of course played really well! Codrick Past is the same, bossing the blueline.

20 hours ago, rjfryman said:

New Presser:

Excellent choices, Freeman and Wolfe are leaders on and off the ice, Palo provides something to the captain group as well, but Wolfe and Freeman are the core and backbone

Yelling to the rookies is ok, don´t be afraid to take them or any other player down few levels if needed.

Seems like pretty good choices

you can't be worse than elias dahlberg

pretty good things are going well

also pretty good off to a pretty hot start

So far so good but we've also played a lot of weaker teams i believe

Score more, but right now i wouldnt change much

On 9/16/2019 at 9:08 AM, rjfryman said:

New Presser:

1. I mean they're great, just not MGS great. Can win em' all. Just my dreams dying so it's okay...

3. It's solid. We came out with a lot of force and a lot of wins. A few lousy performances but those ones will stick with us and make us better at the end of the day. 

4. I'm not scoring, but I am getting assists - you could say I'm even surprising myself as I should be getting a lot more goals. Need to get the monkey off my back. 

8. The championship win. Still have chills thinking about it. It's hard to not think too far ahead in this season and what awaits us. Anything to feel that moment another time. 

9. Stay in line. 

10. Lots of PP time and lots of ice-time. It's definitely a bigger role than last season but I think I'm handling it. It's nice to be back in the FO dots. 

"Well, I was dethroned, kind of sad about that, as I captained the team to a cup, and thought I'd at least continue my reign into this season, but I was made an assistant which is awesome and I think the choices for captain and A1 were really good too, overall we're a family and I love the choices no matter what." 

"You have shoes to fill, we won a cup last season, lets 2-peat with Palo at the helm!" 

"50/50, from a team perspective we've had some close losses, but some good wins, personally I am not happy with my player production but that's the name of the game, when are you ever happy unless you're a superstar? I am just three seasons into my young career so plenty of time to come around."

"As mentioned above, not to the harsh standards I put myself in, I prefer to be a PPG player or over PPG but I am just not even close to that right now, I want better for myself." 

"I do think so, we've drafted good, we've made lowkey trades that seem to be panning out for us and a core that is growing together. If we can keep up the excellent work ethic we have and push through obstacles, we'll be good again."

"Just being able to play more offensively, honestly. I am playing max minutes I can, I have the opportunities but I am not converting, that part of the game is personally struggling for me."

"I'd like to say my two-way ability, I am capable of playing both ends of the ice and making sure that everything is taken care of at all times."

"We won the cup, and getting out of that mentality is something to overcome. We won...last season but this is a whole new season with new games to be played, and we need to get back into a new mentality."

"If you try your best, update, show your loyalty and activity, your time of greatness will come. Everyone started as a rookie, you have to at some point, but you'll get there, and its a glorious feeling when you do!"

"I'm happy with the opportunities I am given, unhappy with the results as mentioned prior, but just so happy the team believes me enough to give me the chances they have."

Eh I knew I wasn't going to be chosen as I'm a rookie on the squad but that is the goal someday. I'd love to lead these guys. As for the choices they made they were the obvious choices.

Lets get out there, keep spirits high, and win another cup baby.

I am very happy with how is has gone so far. We are currently sitting second in the league and have to be among the favourites to repeat as champions this year.

Defensively? Fine. I am racking up the defensive stats. Offensively? It has been a disappointment.

Absolutely. We have built a very strong core of players here and I love what we have here in Vancouver.

I just wish I could score more. I am on the second power play unit so I'm getting opportunities but I just can't finish. 

My defensive game is great and I love that. A lot of guys around here are all offensive flash and no play in their own end. I love making plays in my own end.

The change from the VHLM to the VHL has been tough for me. Much busier schedule, a lot harder work, among other things.

Well there are only two of us and the veterans have been great to us thus far.

I was actually surprised to see myself getting as much ice time as I am on such a talented squad.

New Presser: Meet the player behind the player edition

1. What is your pre-game ritual?

2. What is your workout power song?

3. What tradition do you do every game?

4. What is one thing you cannot live without?

5. If you had to keep only one app on your phone what would it be?

6. If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your career what would it be?

7. What is the one book you would keep and read for the rest of your career?

8. What movie can you watch over and over again?

9. How are you liking Vancouver?

10. Who is your biggest rival either on this team or on another?

2. What is your workout power song? Sidelines - E-Dubble

4. What is one thing you cannot live without? Pink tape

5. If you had to keep only one app on your phone what would it be? The VHL Companion App

8. What movie can you watch over and over again? D2 Mighty Ducks, easily. Best movie I've ever had the pleasure of watching

9. How are you liking Vancouver? I absolutely love Vancouver, the city, management, and the fans have been nothing but extraordinary in my time here.

10. Who is your biggest rival either on this team or on another? I'd say my biggest rival is the scoresheet ;)

I will always do some soccer keep-ups before a game, helps me focus and gets my reflexes going

I would have to say my Dog. A 8 year old Golden Retriever

6. If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your career what would it be?

I know were only supposed to say 1 but I would follow the 3 P rule. Pizza, Poutine and Perogies!

The original Star Wars, can watch that non-stop!

I'm loving Vancouver so far, great city, great atmosphere and a great hockey team

I think any goalie from my draft class S67, Rayz Funk and Micheal Johnson. It's all a friendly rivalry.

14 hours ago, rjfryman said:

New Presser: Meet the player behind the player edition

2. What is your workout power song?

3. What tradition do you do every game?

5. If you had to keep only one app on your phone what would it be?

7. What is the one book you would keep and read for the rest of your career?

1. I usually pick a fight with @InstantRockstar, then me and @eaglesfan036 play practical jokes on our GM. Then we play hockey. 

2. MGS is so fit he doesn't need to work out. 

3. Get a minus on the stat column. 

5. Fettuccine Alfredo. Carb-a-load baby. Puke MGS style. 

7. Rebuttal. What is a book?

9. Rains. But we win. So I mean who could complain (other than my seasonal depression monster). 

On 9/16/2019 at 6:08 PM, rjfryman said:

New Presser:

I´m pretty happy, was bit of a fear for me if the start will be a real learning curve with new lines and combinations, but we have been able to win solid number of games. Tight ones as well, which is a sign that we have quality in the team.

Bit up and down to be honest, I could and should have few more goals. 137 shots after all and especially on powerplay I get too little done.

I´d say so, players keep working hard every week and that will once again pay up big time once playoffs come around. Need to keep going - good things will happen.

Too many pims, I need to be more disciplined when going forward, cant keep taking silly penalties this often.

Faceoffs and how I´m able to shovel them home, that has always been something I have wanted to do and aimed to do, big thing when you get to control puck as often as possible, leads into positive things and of course keeps the other team from having the puck as much.

Not have Beau Louth in the team anymore, he was loud and obnoxious, but he was our loud and obnoxious - hard to replace what he brough on the ice as well, but we are getting there as a team.

Pretty good things seem to be going well at the top of the west

great im glad to see my success at the start of the season wasn't just luck and is continuing throughout the season so far

Yes as it's showing being top of the west

probably my lack of physicality as well as improving my shot

my passing, vision and iq along with my skating

Not much really after winning the cup, i guess losing some of the members that we did always hurts to lose teammates

New Presser:

1. What was your first memory of hockey?

2. Who was your favorite player in the NHL growing up?

3. Who do you look up in the VHL?

4. What player in the VHLM do you think the league should look out for?

5. What team mate do you think will have a great second half of the season?

6. What player is your biggest rival in the VHL?

7. Why do is that player your rival?

8. What VHLM teammate do you miss the most?

9. Why do you miss this old teammate?

10. Which teammate you currently have pushes you to be the best player you can be?

3 hours ago, rjfryman said:

New Presser:

1. What was your first memory of hockey?

2. Who was your favorite player in the NHL growing up?

3. Who do you look up in the VHL?

4. What player in the VHLM do you think the league should look out for?

5. What team mate do you think will have a great second half of the season?

6. What player is your biggest rival in the VHL?

7. Why do is that player your rival?

8. What VHLM teammate do you miss the most?

9. Why do you miss this old teammate?

10. Which teammate you currently have pushes you to be the best player you can be?

2. Markus Naslund. Hands-down. 

3. Someone like @jRuutu. Great player, great man. 

4. Take a long look down the list of Mexico's players and there is quite a few solid picks. 

6. Biggest rival, but best friend @HenrikZoiderberg. Maybe won't be rivals some day soon. 

8. See my answer from my last question but throw in a few more guys like @chillzone & @Jtv123

10. Gritty, @eaglesfan036, is on top of letting me know where I need to improve and shows me what I need to do to get the people going. 

1. What was your first memory of hockey? Waking up in the early hours of the morning to go to practices on the other side of town. It was always worth it to me.

2. Who was your favorite player in the NHL growing up? Good ol' Burnaby Joe Sakic

3. Who do you look up in the VHL? Rauno Palo 

8. What VHLM teammate do you miss the most? John Frostbeard

9. Why do you miss this old teammate? He lit the lamp like crazy in the VHLM and was a true leader in the locker room, and I took a lot of inspiration from him and his style of play and applied it to my own.

10. Which teammate you currently have pushes you to be the best player you can be? Rauno Palo, he's a leader on and off the ice and I definitely look up to him and his ability to lead a team