Changes to Uncapped TPE Opportunities

Beaviss

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, Steve said:

Yes, that 6 extra tpe is killer. Can't afford or not willing to buy? Still a bad change no matter how you spin it. 

A bad change that only you seem annoyed by...

And as I’ve said before that’s 60 TPE for someone donating every season, it adds up; that’s enough to get a star from 40 to 80 just from the 1 bonus we removed.

In addition the main reason was that removing a lot of uncapped stuff but leaving donations as hefty as they were (the usual choices amounted to 17 uncapped per season or 170 uncapped for a full career) meant that we were removing most uncapped opportunities except the paid ones which, as I said, is more pay to win then we would like.

4 minutes ago, Steve said:

I'm a capitalist. I don't understand that my ability to buy perks for real money should be limited to others that don't feel like they want to invest in their players. Protecting people that don't donate? Really?  I don't think this is worth my time. This sim is clearly going in the wrong direction. Take take take and improve what? Nothing. This sim is just getting worse. Fix the cap issue or something that is fundamentally flawed.

I usually agree with your stance whenever you call out problems with the league, but the changes with donations seem like the least offensive of the changes here, and this is coming from someone who has donated.

10 minutes ago, Steve said:

I'm a capitalist. I don't understand that my ability to buy perks for real money should be limited to others that don't feel like they want to invest in their players. Protecting people that don't donate? Really?  I don't think this is worth my time. This sim is clearly going in the wrong direction. Take take take and improve what? Nothing. This sim is just getting worse. Fix the cap issue or something that is fundamentally flawed.

Congratulations on feeling like you deserve more because of your disposable income I guess. That's not the right direction for the league to go in. Why not just allow the team that donates the most to win the cup outright? Sure that's a logical extreme but slippery slopes and all that. 

As far as there being other real issues facing the league, absolutely. but just because a change isn't focusing on something you want changed doesn't make it a bad change to begin with. 

1 minute ago, Beketov said:

A bad change that only you seem annoyed by...

And as I’ve said before that’s 60 TPE for someone donating every season, it adds up; that’s enough to get a star from 40 to 80 just from the 1 bonus we removed.

In addition the main reason was that removing a lot of uncapped stuff but leaving donations as hefty as they were (the usual choices amounted to 17 uncapped per season or 170 uncapped for a full career) meant that we were removing most uncapped opportunities except the paid ones which, as I said, is more pay to win then we would like.

Yes, I am the only one opposed to this apparently. How many players actually max each week? How many play a whole career? Out of all the new members, how many will stay to the end? Pay to win? That would mean my player is Elite now, oh wait, the sim doesn't look at everyone the same so wtf are you talking about. High tpa and success as a player are two different things. Pay to win what? I am no better as a player now than I was 3 seasons ago. There is no pay to win here because max skills only work for a few. Pedal that bs to some kid that doesn't know any better, it doesn't work with me. I am done with this topic as it is taking time out of my day. 

1 minute ago, Mr_Hatter said:

Congratulations on feeling like you deserve more because of your disposable income I guess. That's not the right direction for the league to go in. Why not just allow the team that donates the most to win the cup outright? Sure that's a logical extreme but slippery slopes and all that. 

As far as there being other real issues facing the league, absolutely. but just because a change isn't focusing on something you want changed doesn't make it a bad change to begin with. 

Go mow a lawn of something. Like 20 bucks is that hard to come by. FFS, make a point or don't comment. 

23 minutes ago, Steve said:

Go mow a lawn of something. Like 20 bucks is that hard to come by. FFS, make a point or don't comment. 

fun fact I did mow lawns when I was a kid for money. 20 bucks a season wouldn't be too much for me, I'm doing just fine for myself. But I'm not advocating for myself, I'm advocating for the good of the league, something I guess you aren't able to grasp. Let's quit with the bullshit now though because this is already getting too out of hand. I disagree with you, you disagree with me, and that's fine. 

1 minute ago, Mr_Hatter said:

fun fact I did mow lawns when I was a kid for money. 20 bucks a season wouldn't be too much for me, I'm doing just fine for myself. But I'm not advocating for myself, I'm advocating for the good of the league, something I guess you aren't able to grasp. Let's quit with the bullshit now though because this is already getting too out of hand. I disagree with you, you disagree with me, and that's fine. 

You are correct. 

48 minutes ago, Steve said:

You have a decent argument for the most part, although I disagree with it, but this is just wildly out of touch. Some people have a negative net worth, struggle to make ends meet as it is, and would probably be using that $20 for their food for the day.

And yes, we could have people like that in the VHL. If you're struggling to feed yourself and/or a family, a sim league like this is a great, free way to spend some time and escape for a little while.

1 minute ago, Enorama said:

You have a decent argument for the most part, although I disagree with it, but this is just wildly out of touch. Some people have a negative net worth, struggle to make ends meet as it is, and would probably be using that $20 for their food for the day.

And yes, we could have people like that in the VHL. If you're struggling to feed yourself and/or a family, a sim league like this is a great, free way to spend some time and escape for a little while.

If I were struggling to feed my family, I would most likely not have internet service but I don't know, could be a government hand out. Let's play hockey and not try to make everyone a victim that doesn't donate. I get it, not only will it save me money, it will now save me the time I spend here. 

6 minutes ago, Steve said:

If I were struggling to feed my family, I would most likely not have internet service but I don't know, could be a government hand out. Let's play hockey and not try to make everyone a victim that doesn't donate. I get it, not only will it save me money, it will now save me the time I spend here. 

Could just be using the computer at the library, at work, or at school.

So I see an issue here but for me it is more of an equal opportunity kind .. and before you start roasting me for daring to make a comment on the VHL forum not that I don't think balancing out inflation is an easy task.

I will say that I think this could have been handled better and that i personally believe changing leauge TPE opportunities may not have been the best call, even though it was done for good reasons.

By attacking this issue on the front end you have effectively solidified top TPE earner records and kneecapped the next generation. Believe me when i tell you i look forward to someone wiping wall from all the records on this site but with these changes that is unlikely to happen. Now I am not saying older members have done this on purpose to  solidify themselves in the leauge history books, although that is likely the result regardless.

My personal suggestion would have been to add to depreciation  and  minorly chop down tasks that are adding the most to inflation.

It is interesting coming back to the forums  and seeing some of the changes that have been made and just who is making them. It should shock no one that i believe that things could have been approached better and I highly question the motivation of those making the decisions because over 2 years getting to know ppl on this site I can say that at least some of the BOD are logical and rational ppl. Knowing that I wonder at the "why" for the approach that was taken.

As a whole though. like many other changes that have occurred in the past, time moves on and eventually most ppl forget that things were ever much different.

Just the 2 cents of someone who has not even been bothering to affiliate most weeks...take it for what it is, an opinion.

• Commissioner
4 hours ago, BladeMaiden said:

So I see an issue here but for me it is more of an equal opportunity kind .. and before you start roasting me for daring to make a comment on the VHL forum not that I don't think balancing out inflation is an easy task.

I will say that I think this could have been handled better and that i personally believe changing leauge TPE opportunities may not have been the best call, even though it was done for good reasons.

By attacking this issue on the front end you have effectively solidified top TPE earner records and kneecapped the next generation. Believe me when i tell you i look forward to someone wiping wall from all the records on this site but with these changes that is unlikely to happen. Now I am not saying older members have done this on purpose to  solidify themselves in the leauge history books, although that is likely the result regardless.

My personal suggestion would have been to add to depreciation  and  minorly chop down tasks that are adding the most to inflation.

It is interesting coming back to the forums  and seeing some of the changes that have been made and just who is making them. It should shock no one that i believe that things could have been approached better and I highly question the motivation of those making the decisions because over 2 years getting to know ppl on this site I can say that at least some of the BOD are logical and rational ppl. Knowing that I wonder at the "why" for the approach that was taken.

As a whole though. like many other changes that have occurred in the past, time moves on and eventually most ppl forget that things were ever much different.

Just the 2 cents of someone who has not even been bothering to affiliate most weeks...take it for what it is, an opinion.

Two points of contention:

First, we don’t really care about the TPE record, or at least I don’t, I can’t speak about others. Yes, this more or less solidified it but it’s a meaningless stat from a bygone era. No different than how attaining Campbell’s scoring record is going to be. Someday perhaps we’ll lock the record books as I’ve been suggesting for ages but until then yes, it’s probably gonna stick. I see that as an annoying but necessary by product. It’s also possible inflation will get out of hand again and someone will beat it, that’s what happened last time after Boubabi’s record looked to unattainable and was beaten multiple times in this inflation era.

Second, adding to depreciation instead would inadvertently affect everyone more. You’re looking at this as a way of us saving our own players but rather it’s a way of saving the players who can’t earn as much. People who aren’t hyper-active earners aren’t going to make use of the things we cut, therefore cutting them does those players no harm. However adding to depreciation doesn’t just hit the top earners, it hits everyone. Yes, it’s a percentage so it hits them less but it still hits.

I guess what I don’t understand is, why does it matter? Yeah things have changed and earning tpe is easier now, but that’s only because you guys have introduced more ways to earn. And most of these ways are fun and keep people engaged.

In my opinion, everyone has the same opportunities to earn, so it shouldn’t really matter how much people are earning. As long as it’s fair and available to everyone, it’s all for the good of the league.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, TheFlash said:

I guess what I don’t understand is, why does it matter? Yeah things have changed and earning tpe is easier now, but that’s only because you guys have introduced more ways to earn. And most of these ways are fun and keep people engaged.

In my opinion, everyone has the same opportunities to earn, so it shouldn’t really matter how much people are earning. As long as it’s fair and available to everyone, it’s all for the good of the league.

Because builds can basically be completed by the end of a player’s third season with earning this high. It breaks how the league and engine are designed to run. We could update the scale to insane degrees but as I already said that just negatively impacts lower earners and in general makes progress too slow.

First off, I have been indifferent to most changes in the league. It has been interesting as in some cases I had to shake my had at decisions, sometimes I was completely supportive. This time... Well, it is interesting. I can understand fully the need to fight TPE Inflation. Also, this is a fairly small change, so I am not sure this will really combat anything on that end. 

Secondly, I completely agree with Donation changes. That is brilliant move. Even though I personally haven't donated in past 2 seasons, I was donating every season before that and I want to go back to it. In my eyes, with this change we eliminate any question of Donations being a P2W package of VHL even though people who call it that don't understand how little Donations actually give you in terms of TPE. 

Thanks Blue team and BoG, you are doing a truly splendid job! 

5 hours ago, Beketov said:

However adding to depreciation doesn’t just hit the top earners, it hits everyone. Yes, it’s a percentage so it hits them less but it still hits.

To be fair, it hurts top earners more because the heights are more expensive than the mids. (Altough you did kinda say that in your post here). I think an update scale change could be the middle ground/another option but I know that isn't the most popular option (please don't disown me @Victor)

• Commissioner
23 minutes ago, Mr_Hatter said:

To be fair, it hurts top earners more because the heights are more expensive than the mids. (Altough you did kinda say that in your post here). I think an update scale change could be the middle ground/another option but I know that isn't the most popular option (please don't disown me @Victor)

Changes to the scale are being looked at as well but would need to be far more severe than many of us would like with inflation where it has been.

11 hours ago, Beketov said:

I see that as an annoying but necessary by product. It’s also possible inflation will get out of hand again and someone will beat it, that’s what happened last time after Boubabi’s record looked to unattainable and was beaten multiple times in this inflation era.

Well, yes an no. It's mostly because the uncapped cap is/was (I don't know what it is nowadays) 12 tpe instead of 9 during my time

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, boubabi said:

Well, yes an no. It's mostly because the uncapped cap is/was (I don't know what it is nowadays) 12 tpe instead of 9 during my time

The extra 3/week definitely did help but even then people didn’t start completely shattering it consistently until the uncapped stuff started getting out of hand.

I think the mass increase in attributes cost implemented a few seasons back took care of this problem already. The only thing that needed to change is recruitment TPE and that is it. TPE has not inflated since the last time this was "Fixed". Horrible changes all around