Couple of Small notices

Beketov

“Discord makes this league thrive”, I will not object to that. Discord serves a good purpose of Communication for the league but often people forget the forum does too. It’s a forum league. Everything else is on the forums. Yes when games are posted people chat about it in their LR’s, but they still will even without the bot... yes people chat in general, but they still will... the only minor difference is you actually have to click a link to see the stuff now which promotes activity and engagement.

110% support this. Well done to those involved in the discussions and decision to trial this. ?

4 hours ago, GustavMattias said:

reeeeeeeee

What about having the bot link to game threads instead of the portal page? Could even have it leave scores out too and just post the thread link.

could use a rss bot for that I think

• Commissioner
17 minutes ago, Dil said:

Attempts to silence my bot are not acceptable.. He shall return and fragment the community even further!

!tempmute @Dil 5m speaking craziness

Oh right, I need to actually put some effort in here.

• Commissioner
29 minutes ago, Dil said:

Attempts to silence my bot are not acceptable.. He shall return and fragment the community even further!

It hasn't been your bot in years ?

3 hours ago, Mr_Hatter said:

I have another idea. If possible, we should create some sort of automated recap thread that posts after every day of sims, that holds the results of the day (if possible) or at least all the game threads. Ideally there would be some form of content other than the links, even a rendering of the new standings or something.

I think this would be a really useful way of generating cross team talk- when I was active on game threads, I hardly ever commented on other team's games; the fragmentation was just as real as if it were my team's LR. This serves the point of getting people to a centralized location where you might actually engage with people outside of your team; not everyone has been in the league long enough to establish connections outside of their immediate team, especially for first gens. 

^^ this for sure, the main reason I came to post in this thread was to suggest something like this.

There are a lot of games played every day and one per thread in a forum feels clunky. Keep in mind it isn't just a few extra clicks. It's scrolling down to the right games section, scrolling down again to find your games (with the order changing every time anyone posts in one), etc. There is a lot more... not sure the exact thing I'm trying to express here - vertical space per game, I guess? used up in the forum format than anywhere else you can get to games. Obviously these are really tiny things, hardly some kind of huge time sink, but together it all makes the games feel out of the way. I haven't even clicked on a forum game thread yet and it's got nothing to do with discord, I just find it easier to get to my team's schedule page on the STHS index and open a couple boxscores than to find my two games on the forum.

I don't think this change is going to get the result you want - though certainly not saying it isn't worth a test run for 1 playoff. But... I think there are issues with accessing games on the forum, and even though you have the ability to force all games to be accessed through the forum, it is just kind of a pain in the butt, and making them easy access is more important than making people check there - and as probably one of the more active new guys here, I can't see myself looking at or posting more on game threads because the discord bot is off. I can almost guarantee I won't.

HOWEVER... if you put the full day recap somewhere, now that's a one-stop place to find everything, more people have a reason to go there and there's more information in there to talk about - especially if there's some additional content as this comment mentions... plus you have some interaction with teams that aren't your own - that is definitely something that I'd check out every day.

The "sim attendance" PT idea seems like it isn't being considered at all so I probably don't need to weigh in on that, but yeah I am glad you guys are looking for ideas to improve engagement that aren't just throwing TPE at people.

Edited by tcookie25

• Commissioner
5 minutes ago, tcookie25 said:

^^ this for sure, the main reason I came to post in this thread was to suggest something like this.

There are a lot of games played every day and one per thread in a forum feels clunky. Keep in mind it isn't just a few extra clicks. It's scrolling down to the right games section, scrolling down again to find your games (with the order changing every time anyone posts in one), etc. There is a lot more... not sure the exact thing I'm trying to express here - vertical space per game, I guess? used up in the forum format than anywhere else you can get to games. Obviously these are really tiny things, hardly some kind of huge time sink, but together it all makes the games feel out of the way. I haven't even clicked on a forum game thread yet and it's got nothing to do with discord, I just find it easier to get to my team's schedule page on the STHS index and open a couple boxscores than to find my two games on the forum.

I don't think this change is going to get the result you want - though certainly not saying it isn't worth a test run for 1 playoff. But... I think the issues with accessing games on the forum, and even though you have the ability to force all games to be accessed through the forum, it is just kind of a pain in the butt, and making them easy access is more important than making people check there - and as probably one of the more active new guys here, I can't see myself looking at or posting more on game threads because the discord bot is off. I can almost guarantee I won't.

HOWEVER... if you put the full day recap somewhere, now that's a one-stop place to find everything, more people have a reason to go there and there's more information in there to talk about - especially if there's some additional content as this comment mentions... plus you have some interaction with teams that aren't your own - that is definitely something that I'd check out every day.

The "sim attendance" PT idea seems like it isn't being considered at all so I probably don't need to weigh in on that, but yeah I am glad you guys are looking for ideas to improve engagement that aren't just throwing TPE at people.

FWIW we aren’t sure if adding the rest of the stuff @Mr_Hatter wants is possible but we could VERY EASILY have all the games post to one thread instead of individual ones. We’re considering trying that for the RS next season, though playoffs would still get individual game threads. Then it’s a one stop shop for all the games without a bunch of extra scrolling and everyone can discuss together.

2 hours ago, Spartan said:

have the poster post all games for the day in one thread.

Sounds like a sweet paying gig. I'd be up for doing SPORTSCENTRE one or two days a week.

• Commissioner
8 minutes ago, bigAL said:

Sounds like a sweet paying gig. I'd be up for doing SPORTSCENTRE one or two days a week.

But you’d have to make sure that you repeat the same information on a loop for about 6 hours each time.

49 minutes ago, Beketov said:

FWIW we aren’t sure if adding the rest of the stuff @Mr_Hatter wants is possible but we could VERY EASILY have all the games post to one thread instead of individual ones. We’re considering trying that for the RS next season, though playoffs would still get individual game threads. Then it’s a one stop shop for all the games without a bunch of extra scrolling and everyone can discuss together.

Exactly; obviously as much content as possible is ideal, but the ROI of dev work isn't always the best. Realistically, I'm sure people who really care to could just post the standings in the thread themselves, worst case

• Commissioner
32 minutes ago, Mr_Hatter said:

Exactly; obviously as much content as possible is ideal, but the ROI of dev work isn't always the best. Realistically, I'm sure people who really care to could just post the standings in the thread themselves, worst case

If it’s just a matter of a link to the standings that could be arranged I’m sure very easily since it doesn’t change. It’s really more of the visual part that would be trickier.

• Commissioner
5 minutes ago, rory said:

so can i just post the results in my LR anyways cause this is dumb

So you want to make more work for yourself and limit your players' interaction with the league at the same time? What exactly is the benefit to that?

It's an honest question. I can't, and wouldn't try, to force people to use the forum but it is the primary home of the league, always has been. I just on't understand why encouraging people to actually partake in the league as a whole instead of hiding away in a locker room is a bad thing. The VHL has always been about the community and the community doesn't exist if it's scattered.

I like the idea of a daily thread of 24 games or so, so that people can comment on the games there.  I'd participate.

It would be weird though to try answering some trash talk and like 2 posts happen while I'm typing.  Could have some "fragmented" conversation, but hey it's a forum it's imperfect like discord.

Another thing that would worry me is the spam that would happen.  What preliminary measure do you have in mind @Beketov

If this was on discord rn, there would be no less than 500 replies to this.  Not sure if that's a good thing

Edited by MattyIce

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, MattyIce said:

I like the idea of a daily thread of 24 games or so, so that people can comment on the games there.  I'd participate.

It would be weird though to try answering some trash talk and like 2 posts happen while I'm typing.  Could have some "fragmented" conversation, but hey it's a forum it's imperfect like discord.

Another thing that would worry me is the spam that would happen.  What preliminary measure do you have in mind @Beketov

Admittedly, nothing, would need to see what comes of it. Historically when game threads were popular without extra TPE incentives the spam amount was relatively low. People in general are less spammy when the messages don't immediately disappear it seems because consequences are more likely.

@BeketovOne cool incentive you could implement as uncapped tpe is some kind of event with the sims, something like: Lineup of the day or something.  The best 3 forwards, 2 defensemen and goalie get posted by an event manager and people vote a few days before the sim.

Could make this a thing twice a week or something, would be really hard to get that tpe, but it would get people interested and engaged in the forum daily thread.

Edited by MattyIce

• Commissioner
3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

didn't we used to do 1 capped for posting in 3 game threads that week?

Practice Facility used to be that yeah, wound up with a lot of spamming.

2 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

@BeketovOne cool incentive you could implement as uncapped tpe is some kind of event with the sims, something like: Lineup of the day or something.  The best 3 forwards, 2 defensemen and goalie get posted by an event manager and people vote a few days before the sim.

Could make this a thing twice a week or something, would be really hard to get that tpe, but it would get people interested and engaged in the forum daily thread.

Two problems with that. First is that the rich kinda get richer since it's based on performance and second that it's uncapped based off a popularity contest