Official Videogame Thread

Sandro

• Commissioner

So you buy games for bro dudes, congratulations. Did you enjoy Spelunkey? How about Braid? Hotline Miami? Rogue Legacy? What do you think of Johnathon Blow as a developer? What is your take on the current transformation of the indy studio with self publishing on both major consoles? Any thoughts on Notch not supporting the Rift now that Facebook bought it?

Do you want me to continue? Shut up, enjoy your bro dude games that are mass marketed for someone of your attention span and leave us actual gamer types in peace.

I approve of this comment.

I also take pride in the fact that I can enjoy CoD and still understand everything you said. Brovy goes and gives all us CoD players a bad name.

Edited by Beketov

So you buy games for bro dudes, congratulations. Did you enjoy Spelunkey? How about Braid? Hotline Miami? Rogue Legacy? What do you think of Johnathon Blow as a developer? What is your take on the current transformation of the indy studio with self publishing on both major consoles? Any thoughts on Notch not supporting the Rift now that Facebook bought it? 

Do you want me to continue? Shut up, enjoy your bro dude games that are mass marketed for someone of your attention span and leave us actual gamer types in peace.

Someone's mad!

I don't need to play a bunch of indie games to be a "gamer".

Fuck your standards I'm keeping my flappy bird!

Someone's mad!

I don't need to play a bunch of indie games to be a "gamer".

Fuck your standards I'm keeping my flappy bird!

It isn't about that. I have FPS games like CoD and mass market appeal games in my collection as well. It all depends on how you "personally" define a gamer. Kesler didn't put any adjective beside his, so for me he was trying to say "I'm more than a CoD Player I game tons." Then proceeded to list a series of games the "casual" gamer would subscribe to. Personally I wouldn't even call it that. There are gamers, then there are people who play video games. Much different thing. I wont' deny that I fall into the "geeky" hardcore gamer category. I know what devs make games, have conversed with indy devs on emails, know bigger studios. When someone like Amy Henning moves from Naughty Dog to Visceral I have a reaction to that.

It isn't about elitism. There is nothing wrong with people who have fun playing games casually. My issue was with Kesler coming in here trying to defend his random CoD talk with statements of being something more than he is. There is nothing wrong with what he is, but he needs to accept it. 

But as Beketov says, the issue isn't that he plays CoD or NHL or any other game you'd see other bro dude types play. The issue is that he thinks that someone qualifies him as an experienced gamer when based on the information he has given that isn't the case. 

Do you play a video game? Have you played a video game ever? Congratulations, you're a gamer.

Maybe not an "elite" gamer, or a "geeky hardcore" gamer, but still a gamer. 

People who drive a car periodically and don't know the ins and outs are still considered drivers. People who drink periodically and don't know or care about the newest microbrews are still considered drinkers. People who run a race here and there for nothing more than their own entertainment are still considered runners. You get my point. By definition, a gamer is someone who plays games. Simply that, and nothing more.

People who drink periodically and don't know or care about the newest microbrews are still considered drinkers.

Not really sure that's true at all, but whatever. I don't give a shit if Kesler calls himself a gamer, he plays a variety of games so he's allowed to. But when he tries to act like he knows anything about the industry or how it works, I just want to slam my head on my desk. He plays Call of Duty and NHL, he's the definition of a "dudebro" gamer. Guess what, that's fine if it makes him happy. He just shouldn't act as if he's got a damn clue what he's talking about outside of those games.

Not really sure that's true at all, but whatever. I don't give a shit if Kesler calls himself a gamer, he plays a variety of games so he's allowed to. But when he tries to act like he knows anything about the industry or how it works, I just want to slam my head on my desk. He plays Call of Duty and NHL, he's the definition of a "dudebro" gamer. Guess what, that's fine if it makes him happy. He just shouldn't act as if he's got a damn clue what he's talking about outside of those games.

This part, I'll agree with. He's still a gamer even if he doesn't know the industry, I don't know the industry either. He does, however, fit perfectly into the far-too-large and far-too-annoying niche of gamers who worship the COD and all its incarnations. Still doesn't mean he's not a gamer.

Also, my post was more in reference to Devise's post than anything you've said against him, I've generally been in agreement with you although my gaming preferences aren't generally the stuff of this thread.

Edited by diamond_ace

This part, I'll agree with. He's still a gamer even if he doesn't know the industry, I don't know the industry either. He does, however, fit perfectly into the far-too-large and far-too-annoying niche of gamers who worship the COD and all its incarnations. Still doesn't mean he's not a gamer.

Also, my post was more in reference to Devise's post than anything you've said against him, I've generally been in agreement with you although my gaming preferences aren't generally the stuff of this thread.

I don't expect him to know the industry -- hell I don't expect anyone here to know the industry, at least at the level I'd like to think I do -- it's just that when he tries to act like he does it's incredibly irritating. Especially to someone like me, I'm really just on the fringes of the industry myself but I know and have met people all around it. I make it my business to keep up-to-date and know how things work, so I think it's understandable that Kesler brings the constant reaction of "ugh".

Just got to the fight with Sin. Now time to start collecting some of the extra Aeon's and the Celestial Weapons. Hurrah for 200 lightning jumps and 0.00.0 chocobo races!

I'm playing it on the vita, really enjoying it again, only up to Macalania though, backtracked all the way to Besaid so I wouldn't have to beat Dark Valefor to get the Jecht Sphere there. Taking forever to walk back haha!

I'm playing it on the vita, really enjoying it again, only up to Macalania though, backtracked all the way to Besaid so I wouldn't have to beat Dark Valefor to get the Jecht Sphere there. Taking forever to walk back haha!

I never had the international version of the game, so going up against those Dark Aeons really has me kinda worried. That's why I'm mainly trying to get the other Aeons and Celestial Weapons now... 

When do they turn to the Dark Aeons?

I never had the international version of the game, so going up against those Dark Aeons really has me kinda worried. That's why I'm mainly trying to get the other Aeons and Celestial Weapons now... 

When do they turn to the Dark Aeons?

If you've faced Sin, then I think they'll already be Dark Aeons. They come I believe after you get control of the airship I believe. 

I live in the UK, so back when it was on PS2 we had the Dark Aeons. No joke, thats for sure. From what I'm remember, the only one that really can obstruct you getting other stuff is Dark Valefor, he'll stop you entering the village, and there's a Jecht Sphere there. If you are after Auron's Celestial at Mushroom Rock, I wouldn't take the airship there, instead take it to the Djose Highroad and backtrack, otherwise you'll trigger another Dark Aeon. 

My main man RED might have been the only one to catch it, but I was talking about Mario Kart Wii in case anyone was wondering...

*crickets*

...fuckin' shit up wit' the Quacker, yo.

I just got into the Alpha phase of Blizzards new game Heroes of the Storm its a MOBA like DOTA/LOL/HON and etc.  The difference about this game other than using all blizzard characters diablo/warcraft/starcraft the game is more centered around team play and not individual skill.  In a game like DOTA and less so in LOL you can snowball and have players super carry all by themselves.  In the new Blizzard game teams share XP and stuff with there being "quests" or "objectives" within the map that have a real effect on the outcome.  So the game is supposed to have a smaller skill gap from newb to good and then be about playing as a team.

Edited by Mike

I just got into the Alpha phase of Blizzards new game Heroes of the Storm its a MOBA like DOTA/LOL/HON and etc.  The difference about this game other than using all blizzard characters diablo/warcraft/starcraft the game is more centered around team play and not individual skill.  In a game like DOTA and less so in LOL you can snowball and have players super carry all by themselves.  In the new Blizzard game teams share XP and stuff with there being "quests" or "objectives" within the map that have a real effect on the outcome.  So the game is supposed to have a smaller skill gap from newb to good and then be about playing as a team.

Sounds pretty boss, I'll have to look it up tomorrow at work.