End of an Era in New York

Advantage

I'd be lying if I said this is how I wanted to go out.  No consecutive seasons as a GM record, no record third Continental Cup and no record fourth GM of the year trophy.  With that being said, I told myself that I would step down if I ever got even the slightest bit dis-interested in GM'ing New York.  At last I finally felt this way towards the end of the season.  I didn't feel like doing lines or looking to make trades, so I got in contact with Draper and my successor to work out the switch.  So being that I have been a GM for fourteen seasons, I think I've earned the right to brag a little bit here.

Consecutive GM Reigns

Christopher Miller (New York Americans, S33-46): 609-340-59

Jason Glasser (Calgary Wranglers, S26-41): 567-517-68

Mike Szatkowski (Riga Reign, S28-39): 447-347-70

I am pretty thrilled to say I have the most wins ever in a GM reign (despite going through multiple rebuilds).  I'm pretty sure Mike has me beat in overall wins as a GM over his multiple runs due to his S9-12 run with Toronto (although it is close and we don't have the facts due to indexes missing).  I've had a lot of good dudes in New York and I think I should recognize them for keeping me going as long as I have and with the amount of success I've had.

@sterling was the backbone of my squad for a number of years and someone I could get the opinion of at all times.  Basically he was my assistant GM and while I have to say that we often differed on opinions, what resulted from our discussions was a damn good team that was almost always a top contender.  I'm not sure how things would have gone without him, but I know that there is no way my team would have been stronger.  As corny as it sounds, his compliments mean something to me when it comes to my managing, cause we all know how long he has been around and how important he has been to not just New York, but the whole league.

@tfong interestingly enough had never played with me before.  He was happy to make New York the first NA team he ever played for and was thrilled to do it a second time with Kyanon.  While he can be quiet, Fong and I have had many discussions over just random stuff while he's at work and he's a great guy.  When it comes to New York, he had another very valued opinion and he made a pretty damn good player in Xin Xie Xiao as well.

@Smarch likes to think he is a dick but with Low he pretty much bled our colors with how he repped our team.  Good in the LR, even if most of the time he was just taking jabs at my expense! Either way, I think we all know that I can set up everything about Smarch by saying three words:............"Connor Low tho"

@Mr. Power is obviously a great friend, not just in the league but outside of it as well.  We talk all the time, we've visited each other and even the topic of living together has come up once or twice.  He was also the GM who gave me this opportunity and while I think I took to it better than most thought I would, he believed I could be as good as I was the entire time.  He was also a key feature on my teams and with that, I wanted to thank him.

@Mike is the last name I'll recognize here.  However, while you might be wondering why I am mentioning him, you have to keep in mind that he and I had a bit of a rivalry at one point.  Look, Mike and I have shared jabs back and forth for a while now, but I think he would agree that we enjoyed our rivalry and win or lose, it was always a lot of fun.  He is a great GM and will continue to be for Seattle so best of luck to him and maybe we will cross paths again at some point.

There are many others I could acknowledge.  @boom was an awesome member in New York and a good friend, while @Tylar became someone who perhaps got a little overlooked but not by the rest of our team who saw him as the key guy beside Low.  All of the current members of the team too, but in the end there are just too many to name.

I accomplished almost everything I wanted to:

1008 Games Managed, 609-340-59, .604 Win%
Made the Playoffs 10 out of 14 seasons (despite 2 rebuilds)
2 Continental Cups
4 Victory Cups
4 NA Conference Championships
3 GMOTY Trophies

With that being said, there were a few other things I wanted.  However, I was not going to claim those achievements while slacking off in my last few seasons.  

So now I leave this team to someone new and while I do expect I will GM again in not too long, I am glad to hand the GM title of the New York Americans to XaviYEAH! Woods.  He recruited me to these leagues and now I get to give him a chance to be a VHL GM.  Pretty excited for him and I know he'll do an awesome job.  So please join me in congratulating him on the position.

@XaviYEAH! Woods

Edited by Advantage

Beast of a GM I never cared about my regular season GM record though I took over an awful rebuild in Riga and the same in Seattle.  Also stepped down during Riga's prime.

The run NY had before Chris and that is continuing after is just insane.  FA friend signings or not the result is there hasn't been a better VHL GM during that run.  I never had any hard feelings toward you and the fake rivalry was only to promote fun.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Beast of a GM I never cared about my regular season GM record though I took over an awful rebuild in Riga and the same in Seattle.  Also stepped down during Riga's prime.

The run NY had before Chris and that is continuing after is just insane.  FA friend signings or not the result is there hasn't been a better VHL GM during that run.  I never had any hard feelings toward you and the fake rivalry was only to promote fun.

You got me rattled a few times but I think both teams really enjoyed it.

31 minutes ago, Mike said:

From Streetlights era, to my brief stint to ADV New York has been a very good franchise. While the Cup wins didn't come till later, the amount of successful seasons, good playoff runs, finals appearances, Hall of Fame players and award winners the franchise gained was pretty impressive. Ironic now that as YEAH takes over the previous 3 GMs are all on the roster. 

I know for me despite time on several teams, other than my brief phase with pushing to see expansion cup wins I've always felt like NY was my team. Part of that is due to Streetlight giving me such a good impression and sense of team especially so early in my VHL career. The other is to see a good friend take a strong team that finally won a Cup into a near dynasty machine. Advantage you did a great job, certainly a fantastic tenure.

My only regret is that the one season I play in NY, I was inactive. You were so terrific for so long and I always respected New York because of your talent and commitment to the team. Also, you are a kick-ass dude so that helps. Hope you still stick around though!!

You were basically in your prime when I came into this league. All I have really known New York as is a great franchise. New York in my Travis Boychuk era was pretty much the team to beat for my teams.

You had a hell of a run. I wish I maybe could have played for you with Boychuk, but I had solid seasons in Calgary and Quebec with no regrets.

8 hours ago, Kendrick said:

If I knew Denise and Chris were going to have a New York orgy in here I wouldn't have commented.

Come on it was one post. Give us some room to breath. Just because we aren't as much of an antique as you doesn't mean we can't reminisce on our league memoires.