Why people log on but don't update

Gudnason

So this is going to be a casual article @eaglesfan036 style where I might as well bank one TPE for Rudi Ying since I'm taking a few minutes to type this.

For those that have not noticed, I haven't done much point tasks recently, and even if I did it, I didn't update them onto China's face of the country. It all boils down to I'm just doing point tasks for fun, because I want to write about a particular topic, or I find some interesting research I want to dive into like @Strtlght. It's not really much about progressing my player, because although that's the point and sole existence of the VHL, at times the community and the people here are way more relevant and worthy than the dullness and repetitiveness that is the sim.

When I was GM, I didn't understand this and I reached out really hard to semi-actives to try to convince them that all it took was like 5 minutes a week to do welfare, fantasy, and freebies and they could still be a useful depth player. Well, although no one is convincing me yet, it'd be a tough fight for them to win now because I have lost pretty much all the motivation and desire I had for this league...

The last few seasons, my happiest moments have been on Vegas, and not only because we are winning, but because the LR is decent at worst and a party when it's good. It's been good to play and hang with veterans like @der meisterthis year and in the past, people like @Smarch Rusty Trombone as an example. Then you have people who are semi-active in public but actually are quite active in the LR like @Ahma Diego Jokinen who was a blast to be on a team with. And it's also nice seeing new guys here enjoying their time and bringing the same passion and excitement we all once had, guys like @Beaviss @Spade18 @Sullvino of late and in the Robbie years it was people like @ADV @Frank @Tyler @BOOM that kept me here for so long again (sorry if I forgot you). 

The deadness I can come on after a whole day and barely see any new topics, the emptiness on game threads other than simple meaningless spam... that hurts and it slowly kills the league. And no, what doesn't kill it doesn't make it stronger...

ok ok this is way longer than I wanted it to be and needed to be...

punkhippie out and 1 banked TPE to Rudi Ying

• Commissioner

As harsh as it sounds honestly what you might need is to just stick it out for a bit. Your best times seem to have come based on the members around you. Unfortunately you won't be able to spend much time with people if you keep retiring your players so early. Stick with one for awhile and make some good memories with guys on your team. That has kept me going quite a few times in the past. Specifically with Chekhov in Cologne having @Kendrick pull me brace from the brink and with Miller in Calgary with the great group of guys we had there.

1 minute ago, Beketov said:

As harsh as it sounds honestly what you might need is to just stick it out for a bit. Your best times seem to have come based on the members around you. Unfortunately you won't be able to spend much time with people if you keep retiring your players so early. Stick with one for awhile and make some good memories with guys on your team. That has kept me going quite a few times in the past. Specifically with Chekhov in Cologne having @Kendrick pull me brace from the brink and with Miller in Calgary with the great group of guys we had there.

I think that ship has sailed now even with the good guys that are @Higgins and @boubabi on Helsinki, my drive to commit to the VHL is steadily decreasing day by day.

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

I think that ship has sailed now even with the good guys that are @Higgins and @boubabi on Helsinki, my drive to commit to the VHL is steadily decreasing day by day.

To each their own, I suppose I've never (or at least very rarely) hit that point. We have some things coming in that might help re-vitalize things a bit but it won't do it for everyone so we'll see. I find the community to usually be a good driving force personally. Getting a working chat system again would actuality help quite a bit I think.

You going to be around at some point this week? Perhaps I could have you on the CoDCast again and we can talk about what brings people into the league and such. Could probably do it up as a dual podcast and you could get a PT out of it as well.

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

Wut

I think he's talking about the fact that he's been up and down the site arguing with people the past couple of days. A lot of that has taken place in the BOG admittedly though.

32 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

So this is going to be a casual article @eaglesfan036 style where I might as well bank one TPE for Rudi Ying since I'm taking a few minutes to type this.

For those that have not noticed, I haven't done much point tasks recently, and even if I did it, I didn't update them onto China's face of the country. It all boils down to I'm just doing point tasks for fun, because I want to write about a particular topic, or I find some interesting research I want to dive into like @Strtlght. It's not really much about progressing my player, because although that's the point and sole existence of the VHL, at times the community and the people here are way more relevant and worthy than the dullness and repetitiveness that is the sim.

When I was GM, I didn't understand this and I reached out really hard to semi-actives to try to convince them that all it took was like 5 minutes a week to do welfare, fantasy, and freebies and they could still be a useful depth player. Well, although no one is convincing me yet, it'd be a tough fight for them to win now because I have lost pretty much all the motivation and desire I had for this league...

The last few seasons, my happiest moments have been on Vegas, and not only because we are winning, but because the LR is decent at worst and a party when it's good. It's been good to play and hang with veterans like @der meisterthis year and in the past, people like @Smarch Rusty Trombone as an example. Then you have people who are semi-active in public but actually are quite active in the LR like @Ahma Diego Jokinen who was a blast to be on a team with. And it's also nice seeing new guys here enjoying their time and bringing the same passion and excitement we all once had, guys like @Beaviss @Spade18 @Sullvino of late and in the Robbie years it was people like @ADV @Frank @Tyler @BOOM that kept me here for so long again (sorry if I forgot you). 

The deadness I can come on after a whole day and barely see any new topics, the emptiness on game threads other than simple meaningless spam... that hurts and it slowly kills the league. And no, what doesn't kill it doesn't make it stronger...

ok ok this is way longer than I wanted it to be and needed to be...

punkhippie out and 1 banked TPE to Rudi Ying

Nice to see I'm noticed :) 

Just now, Gooningitup said:

The irony is i almost didnt make it to this season.  Komarov was so bad, i was debating on stepping away. Glad i did not, even if Taggers disapearnce made me angry. And i never fully recovered as it was too late. Have to settle for 3rd. 

3rd?

Just now, Gooningitup said:

The irony is i almost didnt make it to this season.  Komarov was so bad, i was debating on stepping away. Glad i did not, even if Taggers disapearnce made me angry. And i never fully recovered as it was too late. Have to settle for 3rd. 

Its ok your the best forward that's all that counts!

5 minutes ago, Gooningitup said:

While @Higgins is mentioning how one of the biggest issues moving forward is to increase interest in doing PTs, I would like to take it a step further and say we need to find out whether or not the current rate of TPE gain allows for rookies and sophomores to be relevant players on non-shit teams. I realize not everyone can be a superstar, but people like @Corco it must have suck to seen Schmeckeldork play like shit in his rookie year with the amount of TPE he had.

Random song...

https://youtu.be/kUABeeDzYIg

Edited by punkhippie

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, punkhippie said:

While @Higgins is mentioning how one of the biggest issues moving forward is to increase interest in doing PTs, I would like to take it a step further and say we need to find out whether or not the current rate of TPE gain allows for rookies and sophomores to be relevant players on non-shit teams. I realize not everyone can be a superstar, but people like @Corco it must have suck to seen Schmeckeldork play like shit in his rookie year with the amount of TPE he had.

Random song...

https://youtu.be/kUABeeDzYIg

I've never had a good rookie year with like 9 players, people will get over it haha.

Honestly there's not a lot we can do to stop that. Veteran players will always be better, it's a fact of life. Short of giving rookies temporary boosts which isn't really fair there's nothing that can make them better which won't apply later in their careers to screw the next generation. Rookies will just never be superstars, that's kinda the way it's supposed to go. 

51 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I've never had a good rookie year with like 9 players, people will get over it haha.

Honestly there's not a lot we can do to stop that. Veteran players will always be better, it's a fact of life. Short of giving rookies temporary boosts which isn't really fair there's nothing that can make them better which won't apply later in their careers to screw the next generation. Rookies will just never be superstars, that's kinda the way it's supposed to go. 

Maybe I just can't accept failure, or not succeeding. Maybe it's because I don't succeed enough in real life, I expect that I'll have to succeed in a sim league to make up for it. :huh:

• Commissioner
5 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

Maybe I just can't accept failure, or not succeeding. Maybe it's because I don't succeed enough in real life, I expect that I'll have to succeed in a sim league to make up for it. :huh:

It comes back to sticking with it. You can't expect to come into the league as a rookie and put up award winning numbers, that just won't happen. Stick it out a few years of being active and updating well and the success will come though.

4 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

That was me when I joined my first sim league. I was a TPE whore and my player sucked ass so I made a rage-quit. Then I joined the SHL, VHL and other English language leagues and realized I won't be a star cause there are a shit ton of TPE whores so accepted a fact I won't make any superstar players anymore. So I'm just doing PT's sometimes, claiming welfares and enjoying the unexpected performances from my players (Petenis S54-55, Krīgars, this season). 

1 hour ago, Beketov said:

It comes back to sticking with it. You can't expect to come into the league as a rookie and put up award winning numbers, that just won't happen. Stick it out a few years of being active and updating well and the success will come though.

Which also goes back to me not putting in any effort in real life and expecting huge gains :(

1 hour ago, punkhippie said:

Quit being a pussy and suck it up. Your success will come with the more TPE you get.

3 hours ago, Beketov said:

that S44 team was the peak of my time here. Not just winning the cup, but that was an outstanding group of guys and most active LR I have ever been in