S59 Brett Slobodzian Trophy Voting

Beketov

S59 Most Outstanding Player  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for 1

• F - Franchise Cornerstone (HSK) - 67G, 66A, 133P, +65, 202PIM, 341HIT, 25SB, 14GWG
    • F - Bo Boeser (TOR) - 57G, 71A, 128P, +55, 39PIM, 121HIT, 49SB, 11GWG
    • F - Rudolph Schmeckeldorf (HSK) - 36G, 73A, 109P, +65, 26PIM, 3HIT, 29SB, 4GWG
    • F - Fredinamijs Krigars (RIG) - 43G, 57A, 100P, +38, 35PIM, 74HIT, 49SB, 9GWG
    • D - Ay Ay Ron (HSK) - 19G, 81A, 100P, +53, 145PIM, 255HIT, 114SB, 3GWG
    • D - Fabio Jokinen (TOR) - 18G, 72A, 90P, +53, 122PIM, 217HIT, 156SB, 5GWG
    • D - Keaton Louth (QUE) - 19G, 35A, 54P, -74, 154PIM, 223HIT, 177SB, 1GWG
    • G - Rhett DeGrath (NYA) - 63GP, 45-15-3, 0.930SV%, 1.89GAA, 12SO, 1670SA
    • G - Torstein Ironside (TOR) - 64GP, 46-14-4, 0.927SV%, 2.04GAA, 9SO, 1787SA

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, Jericho said:

To be fair, that's kind of a shit representation of my arguments back in the day, I just didn't put weight them the same vs offensive stats as you did. Obvs they were still considered.

But you get what I'm saying. Both of us had retentively self-consistent logic, and while we wouldn't agree with each other's conclusions we could say that they were sound in the systems we'd created. I've also never felt someone argues in bad faith quite as much as boubs. He's not interested in finding out what is true, he just wants to win the argument, even when he has to be deceitful to do it. How many times did he strawman people in this thread? Re-frame their statements in a way that completely strips their meaning away. Catching someone on a misused word is not how you argue when you want to find out what someone thinks. You should be defeating the best possible version of their argument. Anytime I've ever argued with someone in the BoG or a GM back in the day it seemed like the other guy was interested in that. With boubs it feels like he tries to play semantics, which is hilarious because his lack of a grasp of the English language makes it work very poorly for him. Obviously I give a lot of leeway to the guys who speak English as a second/third language with the nuances of English, but he chooses to try and play that game with people without having a mastery of it himself. Really poor choices.

Also yeah, that shit's the best. Planning a wedding has been a HUGE pain in the ass, but the engagement part is great!

It was clearly a shorthand, jokey version of the arguments. There was obviously a lot more to it

The fact that he's willing to play semantics makes it easy to play semantics back at him, as someone with a lot stronger skill in that area. There might be 3 or so posts he made in this thread that didn't have at least some form of logical fallacy, and even those were putting words in other people's mouths (or into their hands, since it's a forum).

We're taking a while for that - the wedding itself won't be until fall of 2021. There's a reason as to why, but it's a topic best not discussed here.

1 minute ago, diamond_ace said:

It was clearly a shorthand, jokey version of the arguments. There was obviously a lot more to it

The fact that he's willing to play semantics makes it easy to play semantics back at him, as someone with a lot stronger skill in that area. There might be 3 or so posts he made in this thread that didn't have at least some form of logical fallacy, and even those were putting words in other people's mouths (or into their hands, since it's a forum).

We're taking a while for that - the wedding itself won't be until fall of 2021. There's a reason as to why, but it's a topic best not discussed here.

Yeah I just figured I'd recap for anyone who wasn't around in fucking 2011 :P

You can do the semantics thing back, but I really enjoy letting him spin his wheels and freak the fuck out. If you play his game he always claims he wins even when he doesn't make any good points. If you bring him back to axiomatic arguments he gets confused and scared and acts like a puppy. It's adorable.

Yeah we did the same. Proposed in May of last year and the wedding is going to be Sept 2019. Nothing wrong with a longer engagement when you're still dealing with school debt (which I'm sure your country will have you doing until you're 78 :P). Weddings are expensive though, and trying to make enough for regular savings and a retirement/investment account spreads it pretty thin.

2 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Yeah I just figured I'd recap for anyone who wasn't around in fucking 2011 :P

You can do the semantics thing back, but I really enjoy letting him spin his wheels and freak the fuck out. If you play his game he always claims he wins even when he doesn't make any good points. If you bring him back to axiomatic arguments he gets confused and scared and acts like a puppy. It's adorable.

Yeah we did the same. Proposed in May of last year and the wedding is going to be Sept 2019. Nothing wrong with a longer engagement when you're still dealing with school debt (which I'm sure your country will have you doing until you're 78 :P). Weddings are expensive though, and trying to make enough for regular savings and a retirement/investment account spreads it pretty thin.

Yep, just got a thing in the mail about the debt a few days ago actually. I'm making a good bit more in my current job than I have in any of my prior jobs, so I'm actually a little better on that end than I would have been at other points. I'm putting in a good bit for retirement (also a bit older than you so I'm kind of expected to) but we're also pretty frequently traveling so it balances out.

• Commissioner
7 hours ago, Jericho said:

Weddings are expensive though

My wife and I looked at a place in Riverview that offered weddings as well as coprporate events. They offered the exact same things for both (space, 5 hours, tables, cleanup, decorations, etc). Corporate event was $500, wedding was $2500. The market as soon as you slap “wedding” on something is mind-boggling. If you keep it small it’s very possible to not spend a shit ton of money though. We did our entire wedding for around $3500 total. $2200 of that was food and photographer.

Which leads me to my 1 main piece of advice @diamond_ace. Don’t cheap out on the photos. So many people now just get their guests to take photos or whatever; don’t. They’ll look like hot garbage and the photos are the one thing you have left after spending all that money. Don’t cheap out on the one thing you get to keep. Food gets eaten, flowers die, decorations get taken back or sold or whatever. Good photographers book early and are expensive but they are worth it.

Shoutout to the 4 homies who voted for Boeser. :wub:

@boubabi Seriously, man. It's time to chill out. Maybe get away from the VHL for awhile, like weeks, or a month. I think you need a break.

Before you say it's because I want you gone or something or I don't want your great players being better than mine, it's definitely not that. I just think you're taking all of this shit too seriously and need to get away for awhile.

Why do you want anyone to explain their case for DeGrath? You're just going to tell them they're wrong. There's no point in anyone trying to make any case on their thoughts of who is the most outstanding. You're just going to "shut them down", as you have been saying. No argument is going to work against you. People are allowed to think it's not Cornerstone. Cornerstone is basically blowing the rest out of the water now anyways. This definitely looks horrible for the new guys as well...considering that it's showing them their possible votes in the future will be subject to being attacked and told they're stupid for having that opinion. It's the same as the NHL's most outstanding, voted on by the players. You vote on who you think was the best, according to your own values. People are allowed to value DeGrath's amazing performance on that NY team as the best in the league.

Also, Boeser is  better. Those 24 more shot blocks than Cornerstone are the difference. ;)

6 hours ago, Beketov said:

My wife and I looked at a place in Riverview that offered weddings as well as coprporate events. They offered the exact same things for both (space, 5 hours, tables, cleanup, decorations, etc). Corporate event was $500, wedding was $2500. The market as soon as you slap “wedding” on something is mind-boggling. If you keep it small it’s very possible to not spend a shit ton of money though. We did our entire wedding for around $3500 total. $2200 of that was food and photographer.

Which leads me to my 1 main piece of advice @diamond_ace. Don’t cheap out on the photos. So many people now just get their guests to take photos or whatever; don’t. They’ll look like hot garbage and the photos are the one thing you have left after spending all that money. Don’t cheap out on the one thing you get to keep. Food gets eaten, flowers die, decorations get taken back or sold or whatever. Good photographers book early and are expensive but they are worth it.

I have 2 friends that are both pro photographers

3 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

Shoutout to the 4 homies who voted for Boeser. :wub:

@boubabi Seriously, man. It's time to chill out. Maybe get away from the VHL for awhile, like weeks, or a month. I think you need a break.

Before you say it's because I want you gone or something or I don't want your great players being better than mine, it's definitely not that. I just think you're taking all of this shit too seriously and need to get away for awhile.

Why do you want anyone to explain their case for DeGrath? You're just going to tell them they're wrong. There's no point in anyone trying to make any case on their thoughts of who is the most outstanding. You're just going to "shut them down", as you have been saying. No argument is going to work against you. People are allowed to think it's not Cornerstone. Cornerstone is basically blowing the rest out of the water now anyways. This definitely looks horrible for the new guys as well...considering that it's showing them their possible votes in the future will be subject to being attacked and told they're stupid for having that opinion. It's the same as the NHL's most outstanding, voted on by the players. You vote on who you think was the best, according to your own values. People are allowed to value DeGrath's amazing performance on that NY team as the best in the league.

Also, Boeser is  better. Those 24 more shot blocks than Cornerstone are the difference. ;)

Real talk, check out my article on why I voted Boeser. LINK

6 hours ago, Beketov said:

Yea @diamond_ace, as someone who pretty much makes their living off of the wedding industry, prices are ridiculous for all things "wedding".

Also, If your florist tries to convince you to do silk flowers because "you'll get to keep them forever" dont fall for the bullshit.

Silk flowers are about 3x as expensive as fresh flowers.

Edited by Spade18

1 minute ago, Spade18 said:

Yea @diamond_ace, as someone who pretty much makes their living off of the wedding industry, prices are ridiculous for all things "wedding".

Also, If your florist tries to convince you to do silk flowers because "you'll get to keep them forever" dont fall for the bullshit.

Silk flowers are about 3x as expensive as fresh flowers.

Money or no, she wants real flowers. Also, I appreciate all the advice from so many people but we're having a really unweddingy wedding so a lot of this I'm expecting won't apply

18 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

Money or no, she wants real flowers. Also, I appreciate all the advice from so many people but we're having a really unweddingy wedding so a lot of this I'm expecting won't apply

McDonald's going to cater? 

• Commissioner
18 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

Lolno shes a chef

Take it from my experience: unless it’s a very small wedding is she can prep far in advance, she will DEFINITELY regret doing her own food. My wife did our cake (just one small tier to cut) and cupcakes and absolutely hated every second of it. A day or two before your wedding there’s so much shit going on that trying to focus on making good food doesn’t end in anything but piles of stress.

Just now, Beketov said:

Take it from my experience: unless it’s a very small wedding is she can prep far in advance, she will DEFINITELY regret doing her own food. My wife did our cake (just one small tier to cut) and cupcakes and absolutely hated every second of it. A day or two before your wedding there’s so much shit going on that trying to focus on making good food doesn’t end in anything but piles of stress.

She's not doing it, she's planning on her coworkers doing it

• Commissioner
Just now, diamond_ace said:

She's not doing it, she's planning on her coworkers doing it

That’ll work. Just needed to pass on our mistakes to make sure others don’t make them haha

Mostly my point is that what you guys are picturing as "wedding" isn't what we're doing - a lot of the details aren't finalized yet, I mean it's been 5 days, but whatever we do is going to be far from traditional, so most of the stuff for standard weddings (not all, just most) will be pretty irrelevant to us.

1 hour ago, diamond_ace said:

Mostly my point is that what you guys are picturing as "wedding" isn't what we're doing - a lot of the details aren't finalized yet, I mean it's been 5 days, but whatever we do is going to be far from traditional, so most of the stuff for standard weddings (not all, just most) will be pretty irrelevant to us.

So you're inviting us then?

Just gonna throw this out there because I like to say what people are thinking to get likes on the VHL..

but.. why hasn't anyone been fighting or arguing the past 24+ or so hours? What the hell.. so peaceful and friendly. 

Something must be missing here..