VHLM Expansion

Banackock

:vhlmlogo: VHLM EXPANSION :vhlmlogo:

I think when people first heard about expansion again, they were like "No way. That's seemingly fast". He were are - once again expanding. So many things that are making each league and the entirety of the VHL stronger and more vibrant. The portal. Those in charge. Recruitment. Better retention. Whatever it is, it's working. This season, we decided to stick in North America. It's what makes sense for the VHLM and how it's currently structured PRE-expansion. While that may not surprise you.. I think the locations and names of the teams will (which you can see below *SPOILER*) but I like each one and the logos and ideas are all bad ass. I hope you enjoy. Below are team announcements and how everything is going to be structured etc.

NOTE: GM Jobs will be selected through the normal open applications process. Thread will be up... SOON!

TEAMS:

Spoiler

1. Mississauga Hounds 

Asset 6@3x.png

2. San Diego Marlins 

vEpbIZr.png

3. Mexico City Kings 

1.png

Playoff format:

Spoiler

• The top 8 teams will make the VHLM playoffs. The bottom 3 teams will not make playoffs. 
  • The playoff seeding for the first round of playoffs will be based off the standing --> 1V8, 2V7, 3V6 and 4V5.
  • ALL rounds are best of 7.

Lottery:

Spoiler

• Teams involved in the lottery will be the bottom 3 teams who did not make playoffs, as well as the 8th place team who managed to squeak in. 

11th: 30%

10th: 30%

9th: 30%

8th: 10%

• Obviously, this is in affect next seasons draft and the current rule will be used for the up coming draft. 

Dispersal Draft/Expansion Draft selection spots:

Spoiler
  • Expansion draft order will be determined VIA draft lottery (held in the off-season). Winner of the Expansion Draft 1st will pick 11th in the Dispersal, 2nd will pick 10th and 3rd OV will now pick 9th overall.
  • Snake Draft (1,2,3,3,2,1) for Expansion draft.

Expansion Draft + Protect Lists:

Spoiler
  • Each team may protect 5 assets (players and/or draft picks in the next two Dispersal Drafts, and can only lose 1 asset to the Expansion Draft
  • Each team may protect two 1st round picks without counting against the protection limit
  • There will be 9 picks in total. 8 assets will be claimed from VHLM organizations and we'll be adding in a last pick in the 2nd round to make things round out at 9. 
  • Protect list deadline is 48 hours after playoffs but can be submitted sooner. The Expansion draft will be held 24 hours, or the day after, of when the final list is submitted. 

AND one last final, minor announcement...

Philadelphia Dispersal "Compensation" Pick

Spoiler
  • Due to some minor mistakes made on behalf the leagues powers, another minor mistakes was caused and happened to Blade and the new Reapers organization. As compensation, they've been given a 1st round pick in this up coming VHLM Dispersal draft and that pick will be the last of the 1st round. 
  • Obviously, as it is a compensation pick, it will be automatically protected. 

Edited by Banackock

Gotta love expansion teams! Even though I'll be in the VHL next season it will be interesting to see how all three of these new teams do. 

As far as other expansion teams go, Houston has already managed to make themselves legitimate, but that extra first round pick is probably what's saved Philly's draft hopes from being absolutely destroyed by this announcement.

Looking forward to seeing some of the new blood in GM spots! I think a couple people leaked this a little last week but I'm ready for a shake-up of the VHLM.

Hopefully with sustained new recruits we can see the majors fill out nicely as well.

Ouch. Sorry but gonna have to say I don't like it. 3 expansions? You gotta be kidding me. I understand the league is expanding, but having smaller leagues is way better IMO because eventually the league is gonna get bigger and bigger and soon we're gonna end up with 15+ teams

I like how we're growing, but god damn can we PLEASE stop expanding

I would critique this only on one level - Expanding with 2 teams is rough and I believe not necessary - Exanding by 1 would have been so much better choice as that wouldn't make other existing team assets so much less valuable. But that is my opinion.

• Commissioner
6 hours ago, ShawnGlade said:

Ouch. Sorry but gonna have to say I don't like it. 3 expansions? You gotta be kidding me. I understand the league is expanding, but having smaller leagues is way better IMO because eventually the league is gonna get bigger and bigger and soon we're gonna end up with 15+ teams

I like how we're growing, but god damn can we PLEASE stop expanding

1 hour ago, FrostBeard said:

I would critique this only on one level - Expanding with 2 teams is rough and I believe not necessary - Exanding by 1 would have been so much better choice as that wouldn't make other existing team assets so much less valuable. But that is my opinion.

Hopefully going big this time does stop us having to keep doing this for a bit. Even with the additional teams we had last season all the rosters were still full or very close to it which is a problem for the VHLM because new recruits then have nowhere to go. This should alleviate that pressure for a little bit and slow the ride of expanding.

1 hour ago, Beketov said:

Hopefully going big this time does stop us having to keep doing this for a bit. Even with the additional teams we had last season all the rosters were still full or very close to it which is a problem for the VHLM because new recruits then have nowhere to go. This should alleviate that pressure for a little bit and slow the ride of expanding.

There was room on teams just GMs refusing to fill them to win,  3 teams is over kill. Honestly with better rules about waivers and running 4 line teams we would have a lot of room but I guess it is easier to throw some logos up and devalue the draft than to come up with other solutions.

If you can't tell this news displeases me. :)

• Commissioner
13 minutes ago, BladeMaiden said:

There was room on teams just GMs refusing to fill them to win,  3 teams is over kill. Honestly with better rules about waivers and running 4 line teams we would have a lot of room but I guess it is easier to throw some logos up and devalue the draft than to come up with other solutions.

If you can't tell this news displeases me. :)

We didn’t do it because it’s easier. Trust me, rules are easier (and cheaper) than buying logos and finding GM’s.

The reason we did 3 teams is simple: the VHL isn’t a 4 line league. We’d rather new players not get accustomed to that kind of experience and then be confused when the VHL doesn’t offer it. Like I said, this should keep us in a sweet spot for awhile without needing to get any larger and without having our teams filled to the brim. You can disagree but that doesn’t change that it’s happening. There were arguments made for adding 4 teams so it could have been more.

19 minutes ago, Beketov said:

We didn’t do it because it’s easier. Trust me, rules are easier (and cheaper) than buying logos and finding GM’s.

The reason we did 3 teams is simple: the VHL isn’t a 4 line league. We’d rather new players not get accustomed to that kind of experience and then be confused when the VHL doesn’t offer it. Like I said, this should keep us in a sweet spot for awhile without needing to get any larger and without having our teams filled to the brim. You can disagree but that doesn’t change that it’s happening. There were arguments made for adding 4 teams so it could have been more.

Adding teams is easier when you consider getting anyone to change their mentality  on this site is like trying to hold blistering hot magma in your hands.  I actually heard this side of the argument about us being a small line league but honestly they are weak  at best and defy good common sense. Plus i didn't seem anyone leaping up to enforce that all the upper lines of all teams were filled when VHLM GMs didn't want to take low TPE players at the end of the season but I guess that is Ok because that is the way things are done on the VHL.

"There were arguments made for adding 4 teams so it could have been more." <--- what is this kindergarten? I'm not going to let you say  just be happy you didn't get screwed worse.  I mean it is not like 3 is a moderate number...

Just do me a favor don't hand me lines, apparently I only get a few and yours are weak.

• Commissioner
13 minutes ago, BladeMaiden said:

Adding teams is easier when you consider getting anyone to change their mentality  on this site is like trying to hold blistering hot magma in your hands.  I actually heard this side of the argument about us being a small line league but honestly they are weak  at best and defy good common sense. Plus i didn't seem anyone leaping up to enforce that all the upper lines of all teams were filled when VHLM GMs didn't want to take low TPE players at the end of the season but I guess that is Ok because that is the way things are done on the VHL.

"There were arguments made for adding 4 teams so it could have been more." <--- what is this kindergarten? I'm not going to let you say  just be happy you didn't get screwed worse.  I mean it is not like 3 is a moderate number...

Just do me a favor don't hand me lines, apparently I only get a few and yours are weak.

I never said you had to be happy because it wasn’t more. I’m saying that it definitely could have been more based if the discussion and goal we had in mind. If you disagree with that goal that’s fine but that won’t change it. Never in 65 seasons has the VHL ever been intended as a 4 line league, that’s just a fact and we aren’t intending on changing that league structure. So why then should the VHLM not run the same way? I’m not even desperately aiming for that, I’m aiming to have teams with room enough to keep recruiting.

Fact is recruitment had to stop at the end of the season because they ran out of room to put players; ask @Beaviss yourself. I simmed the VHLM, I saw how full teams were. It’s possible if positions worked out perfectly that teams might have had room for a couple of players each but that would be it. There’s simply not enough room for sustainability where we were. This should give us enough that we can hold for a bit and calm down with all the expansion which personally I would love.

I’ve got enough to deal with during the seasons and off-seasons without having to worry about finding logos (and paying for them) then figuring out expansion rules and having double the drafts. You can think I’m lying all you want but this is not the easy way out, this is far more work and I have made it clear that there will be far more pushback against trying to expand any further in either league for at least the next few seasons until we can figure out how sustainable our growth will be. I don’t want to do this every season any more than you do.

Now, you can believe that or not, I don’t really care. I’m not arguing in circles with you about every decision that gets made. You say it’s impossible to change an opinion here but you offer no real evidence to support your side; you just disagree and then act as if I’m the one being unreasonable. 

Also, I think some people are forgetting what it's like to be a first gen going into the VHLM. You don't want to get like 5 minutes of play everywhere you look. I think having the ability to pop in to a 2nd line is great.

Retaining players is a lot easier when they can see themselves making an impact (good or bad) right away.

4 hours ago, BladeMaiden said:

and devalue the draft

It doesn't devalue the draft, you just need to draft smarter. The NHL has 31 teams and the draft is super valuable, and the SHL has 16 teams (I think) and their draft is also valuable.

I wouldn't talk about devaluing the draft when you have an extra pick :P