Moscow Menace Press Conference

On 11/14/2019 at 2:51 AM, gorlab said:

***** NEW QUESTIONS *****

1. Moscow made some massive waves on the UFA market this off-season acquiring Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen & Gritty. What advice do you have for your new teammates to help them get comfortable playing in Moscow?

2. Raymond Bernard has established himself as Moscow's #1 goaltender. What is your go-to move or shot in a shootout situation against Berny?

3. If you had to pick a single stat to set a goal in for the upcoming season, what would it be? (i.e. 20 goals or 100 hits or 200 shots blocked, etc.)

4. Despite gaining Smitty and Gritty, Moscow lost two regular roster members in Mark Gebauer & Evgeni Komarov. Who do you miss more? Pour out some liquor for both.

5. Which North American conference team do you think will meet Moscow in the S69 Continental Cup finals?

6. Have you joined the NEW Moscow Menace Discord server? If not, please PM gorlab for an invite. 

1. They were brought in because of the value they bring to any team on and off the ice. So really keep doing what you're doing!

2. He's getting harder to beat these days but I still got a few tricks up my sleeve. Low blocker side freeze him out.

3. Well I suppose my shooting has to start translating to goals sooner than later. So, I'd say I'd be happy with 25 goals. I'd like to break 200 hits this year though.

4. Losing komo is a tough one but the new guys are beasts out there. Big respect to Komarov and Gebauer. Great guys.

5. Well judging by the standings you'd have to say Vancouver. They're a great team with a lot of momentum at the moment.

6. I have. 

1. 15 games into the season, the standings are much tighter in NA than Europe. Do you think the balance of power has swung back to NA being the stronger of the conferences in the VHL?

2. Did you select any Moscow teammates in the S69 VHL Fantasy League? Who did you pick, and what pick did you take them with?

3. Smitty and Gritty have become fan favourites in Moscow. Which of the two do you think will have the most points at the end of the season?

4. Do you like that VHL Practice Facility changed from a forum thread to a button within the VHL portal? Have you forgotten to press that button within the VHL week tpe cycle, yet?

5. Moscow is currently 2 points ahead of Malmo, with 1 less game played. What will be the biggest point gap between the mighty Menace and the bumbling Nighthawks during S69?

6. What time (EST) would you prefer the sim to be posted? Are you a morning sim fan, a late night degen sim fan, no preference?

4. Do you like that VHL Practice Facility changed from a forum thread to a button within the VHL portal? Have you forgotten to press that button within the VHL week tpe cycle, yet?

I don't hate it, but I definitely got used to the forum thread. I hate to say that I missed a week of practice facility this season.

5. Moscow is currently 2 points ahead of Malmo, with 1 less game played. What will be the biggest point gap between the mighty Menace and the bumbling Nighthawks during S69?

Malmo still isn't the worst team in the league, but I think Moscow is going to open up a 14 point gap at some point between now and the end of the season.

6. What time (EST) would you prefer the sim to be posted? Are you a morning sim fan, a late night degen sim fan, no preference?

I'm a late night degen, so I'd prefer sims to go live at like 12am midnight EST. I don't mind that much though.

1. 15 games into the season, the standings are much tighter in NA than Europe. Do you think the balance of power has swung back to NA being the stronger of the conferences in the VHL? Nah they're all probably equally as bad as eachother.

2. Did you select any Moscow teammates in the S69 VHL Fantasy League? Who did you pick, and what pick did you take them with? I chose Gorlab and myself as I expect Gorlab to produce well and I have the benefit of being his linemate.

3. Smitty and Gritty have become fan favourites in Moscow. Which of the two do you think will have the most points at the end of the season? My guess is Smitty just because of the slight edge in ice time. 

4. Do you like that VHL Practice Facility changed from a forum thread to a button within the VHL portal? Have you forgotten to press that button within the VHL week tpe cycle, yet? Yeah I'm cool with it, and no I haven't forgotten to do so. I can see how people would though. 

5. Moscow is currently 2 points ahead of Malmo, with 1 less game played. What will be the biggest point gap between the mighty Menace and the bumbling Nighthawks during S69? I can only see our lead increasing. I'm guessing we're probably going to finish 5 or 6 games ahead of them. So 12 give or take. 

6. What time (EST) would you prefer the sim to be posted? Are you a morning sim fan, a late night degen sim fan, no preference? Honestly no preference, I don't sleep much so any time works for me.

On 11/22/2019 at 5:56 AM, gorlab said:

1. 15 games into the season, the standings are much tighter in NA than Europe. Do you think the balance of power has swung back to NA being the stronger of the conferences in the VHL?

I think NA has more parity but EU has stronger top teams. Still wonder how interesting the league would be if only 3 teams per conference made the playoffs instead of 4.

2. Did you select any Moscow teammates in the S69 VHL Fantasy League? Who did you pick, and what pick did you take them with?

I swear I'm the only very active person who can't be bothered with VHL Fantasy League.

3. Smitty and Gritty have become fan favourites in Moscow. Which of the two do you think will have the most points at the end of the season?

Smitty, because he is number 1 and is going to repeat the Valiq and Labatte...and I remembered to do predictions this year, so I want the extra TPEs.

Overall, yes, I like it - although I do wonder if we'd be better going back to making this VHLM only again. 

I'm gonna say 8 points with no logic or reason behind it.

I like my sims either very early in the morning (like 6:30AM) so I can check them before I go to work or around 12PM so I can check them during lunch.

I think yes, NA is becoming stronger. NY and DC about to break out next season while Helsinki and prolly Riga bout to do retool stuff.

I believe I took Randoms. I guess that shit is working so far.

Gritty.

I'm fine with it. And yes, I forgot once. Not a big deal obviously.

5-7 points at most. Things are tight at the top of EU.

Don't care. Either I'm on when games being simmed, or just will see them next morning. Not a big deal.

1) I think when the season ends both conferences will look about equal. Small sample sizes and scheduling vs good or crappy teams to start the season get people to over react

2) I have not done VHL Fantasy in seasons. I can't be bothered to constantly be on call 24/7 to look up players to select and have to make my pick within 24 hours. It would be much easier if everyone just agreed to meet at one time to do it.

3) Gritty because he is a forward, and even though Smitty is the more valuable player defensemen just don't score as many points

4) I do like it now, but it took a few weeks of getting used to. I do miss being able to retroactively claim practice facility and welfare like a day later when the people who lock the threads took long to do so.

5) 69 because Malmo sucks and won't even make the playoffs and Moscow will win every single game the rest of the way because we are best

6) I just want the timing to be consistent, so I know what time every day to check in, and other can do the same and it can be happy fun active time. Also not something like 3AM EST when no one is awake

1. I wouldn't say that. Things can easily change. It looks quite even at the moment.

2. I did! I drafted Jet and Bernie! I believe Jet was my third pick and Bernie was my second last pick I'm pretty sure.

3. That's so hard to say because they're both on fire at the moment. But, if I were going to make a shot in the dark guess I would say Smitty probably.

4. I like it yeah. I hope I don't forget haha. So far so good I think.

5. My guess is by the end of the regular season we'll be 10+ points ahead of Malmo

6. Honestly I'm good either way. I don't really have a preference. 

I don't really pay attention to what's going on in the NA.

I didn't play fantasy this year.

I'm going to say Smitty but I'm just really glad to have both. They've really bolstered our lineup.

I haven't forgotten yet but it's one lest step for me so I'm fine with it.

10+ points

Doesn't make a huge different to me personally.

1. 15 games into the season, the standings are much tighter in NA than Europe. Do you think the balance of power has swung back to NA being the stronger of the conferences in the VHL?

Didn't pay attention to the NA standings tbh.

2. Did you select any Moscow teammates in the S69 VHL Fantasy League? Who did you pick, and what pick did you take them with?

I tried to pick Smitty, but he was already taken :(

I like both guys a lot, but Smitty might end up on top of this one.

Never forget it, I like it better that way, easy and simple, release pressure from the updaters, win-win to me.

Good young talents.

6. What time (EST) would you prefer the sim to be posted? Are you a morning sim fan, a late night degen sim fan, no preference?

I don't have a preference, I just look for them at 12 hours intervals, so I keep updated and it doesn't bother me at all.

1. VHL is in mid-season lull and Moscow is chugging right along. Are you hype for playoffs yet? 

2. The NHL is also fully underway, what team do you follow and how do you think they are doing this year?

3. Who is your favourite NHL player, both current and/or all-time?

4. Randoms has been leading the league in scoring for some time. Will I jinx him by asking this presser question and drawing attention to it?

5. Have you subscribed to the Disney+ streaming service? Do you think it's worth? What streaming services do you subscribe to? 

6. Do you think Victor will be active at the VHL trade deadline? There are some rumours he might be. Who do you predict comes to Moscow for a cup run?

On 11/22/2019 at 4:56 AM, gorlab said:

1. I think Europe is still the better overall conference. NA usually has one team beating up on all the others, while Europe has several legit contenders. #EUPride

2. Yes, I believe I selected Randoms because I knew the loud pack would be in good supply this year for Moscow. I really wanted Raymond Bernard but someone stole him 1 pick ahead of me.

3. As a fellow centerman, I am gonna have some faith in Gritty and think that he closes the gap and slightly edges more points by season end. Both are really playing amazingly this season though.

1. VHL is in mid-season lull and Moscow is chugging right along. Are you hype for playoffs yet? Absolutely, I think we stand a pretty good chance at going deep into the playoffs this season.

2. The NHL is also fully underway, what team do you follow and how do you think they are doing this year?

I follow a few teams, but my favorite is Arizona. Needless to say I finally have a reason to be excited. 

3. Who is your favourite NHL player, both current and/or all-time? My favorite current NHL player is Max Domi, my favorite player of all time is Jagr.

4. Randoms has been leading the league in scoring for some time. Will I jinx him by asking this presser question and drawing attention to it? Nah Randoms is going to be walking away with some hardware this season. 

5. Have you subscribed to the Disney+ streaming service? Do you think it's worth? What streaming services do you subscribe to? My buddy got a year free from verizon so I'm mooching off of his account. I don't think I'd ever pay for it though, outside of The Mandalorian I haven't really used it. I do subscribe to Hulu, Netflix, and Fight Pass though.

6. Do you think Victor will be active at the VHL trade deadline? There are some rumours he might be. Who do you predict comes to Moscow for a cup run? I haven't even thought about that honestly. Our team is producing pretty well so I'm not really sure who Victor is eyeing. Either way I trust him to make the right choices for the team. 

1. VHL is in mid-season lull and Moscow is chugging right along. Are you hype for playoffs yet? 

Ye, both of my teams will make the playoffs 100%. should be nice.

Every NHL team that has a Latvian in it. Columbus - expected since they lost the firepower, but for fucks sake when Elvis will get his first win smfh. Pens - expected too, a fine team fighting for the post-season. Buffalo...can they finally make the playoffs ffs?

I like longevity so Jagr.

4. Randoms has been leading the league in scoring for some time. Will I jinx him by asking this presser question and drawing attention to it?

Maybe? But I doubt that tbh. His 99's should come into play unless HHH or Dahlberg gonna go berserk in other 36 games.

5. Have you subscribed to the Disney+ streaming service? Do you think it's worth? What streaming services do you subscribe to? 

Nah.

6. Do you think Victor will be active at the VHL trade deadline? There are some rumours he might be. Who do you predict comes to Moscow for a cup run?

Finn Davison to Moscow.

On 11/30/2019 at 3:22 AM, gorlab said:

We're getting there...it's basically guaranteed we'll be making the playoffs this season, so it all just comes down to seeding since there aren't any byes anymore, and if you believe in home ice advantage in STHS or not.

Self explanatory. They're currently exceeding expectations and are 5th in the league. I think that's somewhat unsustainable, but I do expect them to make the playoffs this season.

Favorite current - Sean Couturier. Such a smart, high IQ player, is criminally underrated by the non-advanced stats community, and is the same age as me. All time might be him as well, or Giroux, since he was the first "prospect" I remember following from the minors to the big league.

Yes, since I picked Jet Jaguar to be MVP or something, I need to jinx it and send some love Jaguar's way.

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me. The pendulum has swung the other way and there are too many streaming services now, and it's only going to get worse. I currently subscribe to Netflix and Amazon, but the latter is for the 2 day shipping than any content.

I think Victor is always looking to improve the team.

1) Very hype, this team has a great process of scoring goals, and perhaps something may happen in the future to help us prevent as many goals from being scored on us

2) The Flyers, and they are greatly exceeding expectations currently. I am most shocked by the penalty kill going from one of the league worst to the league best. 5v5 has also drastically improved, it's amazing what competent coaching and minutes allocation to skilled players can bring.

3) Sean Couterier, I appreciate guys who consistently drive play the other way, being the model of consistency. He isn't the fastest of flashiest player, but he can completely carry sucky linemates or make his linemates seem much better than they are

4) Yes now you jinx him until we play Davos again and everyone scores 8 goals

5) I don't subscribe  to any streaming service. I illegally stream most things, and my use my parents comcast account for other stuff. When I get my own place I most likely won't pay for cable either

6) As Moscow's assistant GM I will remain silent on this issue as I know the answer. 

Yes need to end my career with a win.  Ive been to the finals once and lost with Helsinki and now its time to imrpove on that.

Obviously the Leafs with my username.  They are doing terrible but with Babcok now gone there is hope and the games have been better to watch so far.

I'd say John Tavares as I knew him as kid when he played lacrosse with my brother and his aunt is my moms best friend so always hope he does well and more so now that hes a leaf.

I hope not eventhough i didnt pick him in fantasy despite thinking about it.  Totaly regretting that now

I think I will when the Lion King and Aladdin are added as I want to watch them plus the Star Wars stuff.  I subsctibe to Netflix and my wife has amazon prime but have yet to watch anyhting one it but want to watch Jack Ryan.

I hope so unless its the old man going the other way

1. I try not to think to far ahead. But I would be lying if I didn't say I wasn't a bit excited.

2. I am a die-hard Leaf fan! Things are at a very important point with this team after all the drama with the firing of Babcock, they must find a way to stay consistent and get back on track.

3. Currently my favourite player is William Nylander and of all time in terms of Leafs it's Mats Sundin. Outside of Toronto, Mario Lemieux/Pavel Bure.

4. Randoms is killing it right now. I don't even think a jinx could stop him.

5. No I have not. I already have Netflix, CraveTV, There's a lot of killer stuff on Disney+ but I don't think I am in the market for anything else at the moment.

6. Honestly not sure. If we're just a move or two away from going all the way then it's something that must happen. That or shuffling some things in house. Hard to say really. I'll leave these things up to Victor.

Just trying to focus on the regular season. A lot of things can happen between then and now.

I follow the Kings and it's been a rough couple years.

Drew Doughty or Anze Kopitar

No I think he can keep grinding it out and win

Yeah I'm loving The Mandalorian

Hopefully, any addition that will help us make a push would be great.

1. We need to start playing better in the regular season before we get excited for the playoffs

2. I follow the flames, they are underperforming so far.

3. Jerome iginla for sure!

4. I sure hope not!

5. nope Netflix is all I need. I don’t have time for these other streaming services with 3 jobs lol

6. It’s hard to say. Hopefully a good 2 way player cause we need defence!

1. Finn Davison is the newest member of the Menace! Give him a warm welcome with some advice for playing in Moscow!

2. It's team photograph day, and the photographer asks you to do an action pose. What's your go-to hockey pose?

3. The EU conference is still pretty much wide open. Who is your preference to play in round 1 between Helsinki, Riga, and Malmo?

4. Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen has not only been dominating on the offensive side of the puck, but he's also on the verge of leading the league in PIMs as well. Has he gone mad with power? Should Smitty slow down or keep busting heads?

5. Victor sent a S70 1st round pick to Davos for Davison to beef up our cup run. How likely do you think it is that the player Davos takes with that pick will be a bust?

6. Are you interested in asking team presser questions one week? If so, please provide an answer to this question....... Just kidding, but if you want to do it, just @ me in the LR or PM me or something................................................... Lord of the Rings or Indiana Jones trilogy?

On 11/30/2019 at 2:22 AM, gorlab said:

4. No, I think enough time has passed since this question, and Randoms is still the leading scorer, so the jinx didn't work.

5. I have not, but I've bootlegged The Mandalorian and I've enjoyed it thoroughly. Might just save the 'Star Wars' franchise IMO. The outro theme go hard as a bitch.

6.  Yes, because the deadline was yesterday and Victor made a pretty big trade to acquire Davison for a cup run. Yay Victor.

1. Finn Davison is the newest member of the Menace! Give him a warm welcome with some advice for playing in Moscow!

Be good except against Riga.

2. It's team photograph day, and the photographer asks you to do an action pose. What's your go-to hockey pose?

Some random pose.

3. The EU conference is still pretty much wide open. Who is your preference to play in round 1 between Helsinki, Riga, and Malmo?

Malmo. Their offense isn't what it used to be and I'm not sure if it's gonna change in playoffs. Especially when Davison is on Moscow side.

4. Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen has not only been dominating on the offensive side of the puck, but he's also on the verge of leading the league in PIMs as well. Has he gone mad with power? Should Smitty slow down or keep busting heads?

Nah he's fine.

5. Victor sent a S70 1st round pick to Davos for Davison to beef up our cup run. How likely do you think it is that the player Davos takes with that pick will be a bust?

Some chances. The first round is fine though.

6. Are you interested in asking team presser questions one week? If so, please provide an answer to this question....... Just kidding, but if you want to do it, just @ me in the LR or PM me or something................................................... Lord of the Rings or Indiana Jones trilogy?

I'm not even interested to answer questions let alone asking them.

17 hours ago, gorlab said:

1) Do not bring up Chelsea in front of @Victor. He is a plastic fan who gets rather chufffed

2) Laying on the ground because Gritty is top 10 in hits taken this season

3) Malmo because they would by far be the easiest of those teams to beat and I want to crush their hopes and dreams early

4) The PIMs are a problem, especially when your best penalty killer is the one in the box

5) That will be the last pick in the 1st round, which increases bust probability. I would say Shawn is a decent / fair drafter, so let's say 30%

6) I have never watched or read either of that nerd stuff. Star Wars > those