VHL Top 25 Players, Part III: 20-16

McWolf

GU2CFKm_d.jpg.10f2e2e944c20ec75ae5a0a4ffc3eecd.jpg

VHL Top 25 Players

Part III: 20-16

Welcome back to this third part of VSN's list of the Top 25 Players set to suit in the VHL ahead of Season 69. The previous part knocked five players off the list, already and, today, we dive straight into the top 20, up to position 16.

20. Randoms

How I love it when meme players turn legit. Back when he was playing for the Las Vegas Aces, left-winger, Randoms was getting updated, like his name suggests, randomly, and he was turning out to be mostly a physical presence, registering over 300 hits in his only full VHLM season. However, upon reaching the major league, he realized that he had the potential to be much more than a bottom-of-the-lineup enforcer. From that point forward, Randoms developed his goal-scoring ability and grew into a solid offensive contributor for the Moscow Menace. He enters Season 69 having scored over 36 goals and 76 points in each of the past two seasons, while also gathering over 200 hits. The Latvian forward needed some time to reach his full potential but, now that he has, he should continue to be one of the league's best power forward on a Moscow team that's expected to compete for its first-ever Continental Cup.

McWolf

19. Acyd Burn

To be considered in the Top 25 VHL players as a player with just two years experience, there must be a certain level of talent and hard work involved. Acyd Burn has both the talent to compete with the best and produce as well as a work ethic second to none.  A typical overachiever, Acyd found himself in a good situation being drafted into a rebuilding Seattle team that loaded up on high-end talent. A leader among that group, Acyd Burn has carried this group of players to a championship last season with an astounding 80 points as a sophomore. His meteoric rise isn’t stopping anytime soon entering his final year on his entry-level deal. Expecting high production - dare we say 100 points is not out of reach? - and a season of championship experience with him, it’s a no brainer that Acyd made it this high on our list.

VanCanWin

18. Brick Wahl

Brick Wahl has been a true powerhouse in the net for Calgary Wranglers. With last 2 seasons being a powerhouse in VHL and being considered as the best goaltender in the league, he has been able to perfect his game and be a player that everyone on Calgary can rely on. Skills wise, probably a Top 3 goaltender and could be making a case as the best older goaltender right now ahead of Kallis Kriketers who is manning the net for Riga and Alexander Pepper from Helsinki. That being said, Wahl is not ranked as high as many might think because of a few other reasons. There have been rumours about Brick Wahl being demoralized and having ideas of quitting the league and he has had issues with keeping his cool on ice as he had more than 2 times higher amount of penalty minutes than other goaltenders. In the end, Brick has all the tools to be the best goaltender this season and we could be rating him too low. I guess Brick has a lot to prove to everyone. 

FrostBeard

17. Jagger Philliefan

Jagger Philliefan enjoyed a breakout campaign that saw him set a career-high in all offensive categories. Philliefan will most likely pair up with newly turned defenseman Diljodh Starload, or Jeff Downey, who is entering his sophomore season. Philliefan had depreciation hit him for the first time in his career, and his defence rating of 90 isn’t ideal for a team’s top pairing defenseman. Easily the most important stat you look for in a defenseman is shot blocks combined with a high point total, and a 90 in defence could hurt his shot block totals. Philliefan is a reliable 160+ hit, 100+ blocked shots defenseman, which are very solid totals. Combine that with his incredible playmaking ability which saw him set a new career-high with 66 assists last year (third in the league) and you have a player that can be your top fantasy defenseman. Was his success in S68 a fluke? We here at VSN don’t think so, as we have him ranked 17th on our fantasy rankings.

Matt_O

16. Hunter Hearst Helmsley

A big 6’3” 250lb centre, distinguished as a first overall selection in both the VHLM draft (S65) and VHL draft (S66), Hunter Hearst Helmsley came into the league with lofty expectations. Although not a bust, his first two seasons were mediocre considering his status as a pending superstar. Last season he broke out nearly eclipsing a point per game pace as he hit 30 goals for the first time in his career.  Still not close to the production we expect coming from him this upcoming season, HHH makes this list based on sheer talent and remaining potential as an S66 player with over 1000 TPA already. His talent level suggests MVP level production but until he proves it on the ice he’ll remain just inside the Top 20 players in the league.

VanCanWin

That's it for today's edition. As always, let us know what you think about the placement of these five, and show us what your own lists would look like. Until tomorrow!

Players mentioned: @hedgehog337, @Acydburn, @BladeMaiden, @Sonnet, @Philliefan, @DilIsPickle, @JeffD, @Beaviss

VSN Writer McWolf

Edited by McWolf

18 minutes ago, McWolf said:

Skills wise, probably a Top 3 goaltender and could be making a case as the best older goaltender right now ahead of Kallis Kriketers who is manning the net for Riga and Alexander Pepper from Helsinki.

Goaltender of the Year doesn't even get a nod into the top 3 goaltenders now. 

As talented as HHH is and should be. A couple of season 66 players in his class has similar and even better stats then him. We all get overlooked when it comes to TPE against him rip :(

We could name a couple of NHL prospects in real life who are in a similar scenario with HHH, but that we would not be ranked that high in our minds against other prospects who proved themselves.

Keep up the good work boys tho, someone ha to do the dirty job. I don't want to seem that I'm just being negative.

35 minutes ago, McWolf said:

Top 3 goaltender and could be making a case as the best older goaltender right now ahead of Kallis Kriketers who is manning the net for Riga and Alexander Pepper from Helsinki.

16 minutes ago, Poptart said:

You would think that the top goalie and second top performing goalie would get the nod over Wahl but oh well, subbed

1 hour ago, Poptart said:

i didn't write that part, but let's just say the top 3 is the writer's opinion, not necessarily the group's opinion

12 minutes ago, McWolf said:

i somehow knew HHH that high would be controversial, but he's too good to not perform at some point. I stand by my placement of him

''To not perform at some point'' Isn't it a list with the current best top 25 players and that most of them has a good reason to deserve it based from there previous performances?

55 minutes ago, Jtv123 said:

''To not perform at some point'' Isn't it a list with the current best top 25 players and that most of them has a good reason to deserve it based from there previous performances?

to be fair this happens all the time. We tried to rank to best 25 players. That’s based on past stats, pure talent (combination of total TPA and build type).

Should Drew Doughty be in any top lists after last season? And yet he was because of his talent 

2 hours ago, Jtv123 said:

We didn't just order players by last season's point totals, if that's what you are asking.

13 hours ago, McWolf said:

Skills wise, probably a Top 3 goaltender

13 hours ago, McWolf said:

could be making a case as the best older goaltender right now

@Poptart and @Rayzor_7 - To put it simply, I don't think Wahl is better than Davison by any means. Plus, I personally consider Wahl a player that has the ability to be the best goaltender in VHL if given the right opportunity. That being said, Wahl outperformed both Pepper and Kallis, so I talked about that, as I don't see a point in trying to say something like this "Wahl as every other goaltender in VHL was horrible compared to what we saw from Davison this past season."