Stepping down as Trivia Head

Victor

• Admin

The announcement last night (or this morning for me) about outlawing trivia answer sharing has caught me off guard. When I first read it I assumed that I had somehow slept through February and March and it was now April Fools Day but reading further I realised it was not a joke. The decision seems to have been taken as a snap decision within about an hour last night on Discord. I did not go onto Discord last night so was completely blindsided by it, but although a word of warning would have been nice given I created and run the thing, that lack of consultation is not why I am stepping down.

No, I am stepping down because I do not want to be associated with such a draconian measure. I have never outlawed anything other than people literally replying to the thread with the answers because that completely defeats the point. If people want to rely on their teammates or friends, it never bothered me.

The spirit of trivia for me is effectively twofold. You have a group of people who genuinely enjoy finding the answers and will do so regardless of how easy it is to get them anyway. That's the real target audience. But then you have most of the league who don't necessarily know or care about finding the answers and just want the TPE. And there is nothing wrong with that. I am a firm believer that even by blindly filling out the form every week without doing the research, a member who does that for many weeks and seasons will pick up some VHL history they wouldn't otherwise know. And that to me is still a win and helps carry the league's legacy as the longest lasting sim league because we still have an appreciation for long-gone players and seasons.

So with that in mind, effective tomorrow I will be stepping down as head of trivia after paying out the week 2 answers for S70. If the league's stance changes I will be happy to resume the role, but if not it's been a good ride but you've made a mistake.

Agreed 100%. Just because people don’t wanna do 5-10 minutes of research for 2 measly capped TPE, They shouldnt be punished for it. The VHL has made it known it’s goal is member retention and this in my mind is a step in the wrong direction from the blue team. New members have Zero idea how many goals Scotty Campbell scored in his second season and if they’re busy with lives outside a fantasy sim league, a lot of the time they don’t have time to look, or the patience for that matter.

i love this league, but this moves seems to be one of those “Old boys club” type hockey rule changes the NHL gets razzed for. If someone, who Dosnt have a lot of time, logs in weekly and claim the 3 easiest TPE tasks, Welfare,Practice and Trivia. It only equals out to be around 8 TPE MAX weekly. If you claim that every week for your VHL/VHLM career you’ll likely be a career Second liner and that’s completely fine, I’m sure a lot of people are okay with that.

But with them making it harder to get TPE it damages member retention and makes new members feel almost excluded because they weren’t there from the start. Trivia shouldn’t favour the guys that have been here for ages and seen everything go down, it should be a very easy, equal opportunity for everyone on this site. Kinda like a second little welfare check to help new members and even some older members get a little boost in TPE a week. If you’re gonna increase the update scale too you might as well kick everyone off that dosnt cap out their TPE weekly because they’re players will likely only be third liners or Role Players, and people will lose interest in the league fast if they’re player is only player 10-12 minutes a night...

16 minutes ago, Jayrad28 said:

Agreed 100%. Just because people don’t wanna do 5-10 minutes of research for 2 measly capped TPE, They shouldnt be punished for it. The VHL has made it known it’s goal is member retention and this in my mind is a step in the wrong direction from the blue team. New members have Zero idea how many goals Scotty Campbell scored in his second season and if they’re busy with lives outside a fantasy sim league, a lot of the time they don’t have time to look, or the patience for that matter.

i love this league, but this moves seems to be one of those “Old boys club” type hockey rule changes the NHL gets razzed for. If someone, who Dosnt have a lot of time, logs in weekly and claim the 3 easiest TPE tasks, Welfare,Practice and Trivia. It only equals out to be around 8 TPE MAX weekly. If you claim that every week for your VHL/VHLM career you’ll likely be a career Second liner and that’s completely fine, I’m sure a lot of people are okay with that.

But with them making it harder to get TPE it damages member retention and makes new members feel almost excluded because they weren’t there from the start. Trivia shouldn’t favour the guys that have been here for ages and seen everything go down, it should be a very easy, equal opportunity for everyone on this site. Kinda like a second little welfare check to help new members and even some older members get a little boost in TPE a week. If you’re gonna increase the update scale too you might as well kick everyone off that dosnt cap out their TPE weekly because they’re players will likely only be third liners or Role Players, and people will lose interest in the league fast if they’re player is only player 10-12 minutes a night...

Yeah its already hard enough to compete tpe wise with older members who all have tpe comming in from jobs this just makes it even harder IMO. This just further gives an advantage to the old boys club and I agree with you. 

Here i'm just discouraged since i'm trying to gain max tpe every week and write a Media spot and vhl.com article every week and i'm still being passed in tpe by guys who were just drafted like the fuck?

I work a full time job too with OT and I try to put the max effort to my work and I feel like its just aint worth it. After Seabass retires, I dont plan on making another player honestly because it's too hard for me to compete with guys who have jobs here or for affiliated leagues. Also if your not part of the VHL clique, good luck even getting considered for a job. 

1 minute ago, Sebster03 said:
Yeah its already hard enough to compete tpe wise with older members who all have tpe comming in from jobs this just makes it even harder IMO. This just further gives an advantage to the old boys club and I agree with you. 

Here i'm just discouraged since i'm trying to gain max tpe every week and write a Media spot and vhl.com article every week and i'm still being passed in tpe by guys who were just drafted like the fuck?

I work a full time job too with OT and I try to put the max effort to my work and I feel like its just aint worth it. After Seabass retires, I dont plan on making another player honestly because it's too hard for me to compete with guys who have jobs here or for affiliated leagues. Also if your not part of the VHL clique, good luck even getting considered for a job. 

Just FYI, having a job doesnt increase your TPE cap. Its still 12 for everyone, which can be hit without a job by doing:

Point task

Vhl.com article/player card

Press conference

Trivia or reviewing

Where you see some members gaining even extra TPE is through uncapped opportunities almost always available to everyone and donating, which can give you max an extra 17 TPE per season. You dont have to donate to have a top player, but it does help and helps the league as well.

3 minutes ago, flyersfan1453 said:

Just FYI, having a job doesnt increase your TPE cap. Its still 12 for everyone, which can be hit without a job by doing:

Point task

Vhl.com article/player card

Press conference

Trivia or reviewing

Where you see some members gaining even extra TPE is through uncapped opportunities almost always available to everyone and donating, which can give you max an extra 17 TPE per season. You dont have to donate to have a top player, but it does help and helps the league as well.

No, my issue here is auto reaching this 12 cap without having to put much effort or add content

Edited by Sebster03

1 minute ago, Sebster03 said:

No, my issue here is auto reaching this 12 cap without having to put much effort or add content

My issue is this. People who can’t put a few hours into this site shouldn’t be put at at disadvantage vs people who do. That’s why I have such a problem with the trivia, I mean if you don’t have time you know you can’t post point tasks then at least stuff like welfare and (Formerly) Trivia are there to keep you somewhat competitive with people who do have time to do all the point tasks and jobs and donations.

• Commissioner
8 minutes ago, Sebster03 said:

Very few people get auto-12. Next to no one actually. I think there may be 10 people who get the full cap and the majority are doing recruitment work which is vital for league survival. I don’t think that’s as big of an issue as you’re implying it is.

• Commissioner
Just now, Jayrad28 said:

My issue is this. People who can’t put a few hours into this site shouldn’t be put at at disadvantage vs people who do. That’s why I have such a problem with the trivia, I mean if you don’t have time you know you can’t post point tasks then at least stuff like welfare and (Formerly) Trivia are there to keep you somewhat competitive with people who do have time to do all the point tasks and jobs and donations.

If there should be 0 advantage to putting in the work than the concept of point tasks completely goes away. Maybe that’s a direction the league needs to go but the people putting in the effort are supposed to be rewarded for that effort. I think on the whole the league gives plenty of opportunity to hit a lot of TPE with less than an hour total per week of work, if that.

Also just for the record, trivia was never designed to be “have someone hand you the answer” that’s just what it turned into. I do think the questions have become a bit too hard for this to be a feasible goal and perhaps we need to ease up on that and make it more accessible. I don’t see a purpose in its existence at all though if it’s just getting the answers from someone. Might as well just increase PF by 2 and call it a day at that point.

2 hours ago, Beketov said:

If there should be 0 advantage to putting in the work than the concept of point tasks completely goes away. Maybe that’s a direction the league needs to go but the people putting in the effort are supposed to be rewarded for that effort. I think on the whole the league gives plenty of opportunity to hit a lot of TPE with less than an hour total per week of work, if that.

Also just for the record, trivia was never designed to be “have someone hand you the answer” that’s just what it turned into. I do think the questions have become a bit too hard for this to be a feasible goal and perhaps we need to ease up on that and make it more accessible. I don’t see a purpose in its existence at all though if it’s just getting the answers from someone. Might as well just increase PF by 2 and call it a day at that point.

This. If the league eventually goes the way of giving people auto-12 TPE for doing nothing, I know I would lose interest. It would certainly increase activity/member retention, but it’s spitting in the face of people who have actually worked hard in the league for years and have been rewarded for their hard work. In my opinion, if we have auto-12 each week, point tasks would eventually fall away, and most league discussion would occur in the discord, which wouldn’t be ideal.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Corco said:

This. If the league eventually goes the way of giving people auto-12 TPE for doing nothing, I know I would lose interest. It would certainly increase activity/member retention, but it’s spitting in the face of people who have actually worked hard in the league for years and have been rewarded for their hard work. In my opinion, if we have auto-12 each week, point tasks would eventually fall away, and most league discussion would occur in the discord, which wouldn’t be ideal.

The joys of decision making. No matter what you piss off at least 50% of people. Some want everything handed to them, some want to be rewarded for their hard work. There is no pleasing everyone.

1 hour ago, Peace said:

Congratulations blue team, you made a decision that even pissed off the dude who ran Trivia and you’re still too stubborn to realize it was a bad decision. 

There’s a discussion in the BOG, which I was under the impression was going to happen when I saw so little discussion last night. I wouldn’t say that anyone is necessarily being stubborn. More so that a gun was perhaps jumped.

22 minutes ago, Beketov said:

There’s a discussion in the BOG, which I was under the impression was going to happen when I saw so little discussion last night. I wouldn’t say that anyone is necessarily being stubborn. More so that a gun was perhaps jumped.

Take away the firing pins! It’s good to know this is at least in the BoG now, even after the fact. 

Thank you for all the hard work @Victor.

Sucks to see you stepping down because of a not favorable decision that was made in discord without going through the proper process. This decision definitely needs to be looked at again and reworked as majority of the league find it unfavorable.

I think you ran trivia extremely well, I always enjoyed trivia and trying to find answers with my team-mates.

27 minutes ago, Victor said:

The Vasteras decision was a definite win for everyone involved 

I was going to make a joke about removing the blue team and bringing back the Victatorship but you've completely lost me here. :P 

:vas: :vas: :vas: :vas: :vas: 

Edited by solas

15 hours ago, Sebster03 said:

Eh, it's not totally out of the question to compete with the upper guys. I know this is coming from me, a veteran member with a 2 TPE/week job, but it's doable.

It's a learning curve. I didn't earn nearly as much TPE as the bigger names with my first player, but it's not all about TPE. You can earn a bit less and still have a great player.

But it also depends what kind of job you want. Reviewing is always open for everyone, which is up to 2 TPE per week. You definitely need more of a name for other jobs, but that makes sense. They want to hire people that they can trust, so most of the time that's not somebody new. Reviewing is for everyone though. It's how I was earning my max every week when I was newer. 6 with a PT, 2 from Reviewing, 2 from Trivia, then 2 from Press Conferences. You can also do the smaller VHL.com article and just blab about whatever. I know when I was new I'd always spend some of my VHL contract money on the PT Upgrade as well, which makes your PT worth 7 instead of 6 throughout the season.

Everyone learns after their first player as well that the best time to create is at the trade deadline, as that's the cut-off for the upcoming VHL Draft. So if you create right after the deadline, you get the rest of that season, plus another full season to earn TPE before you're drafted.

16 hours ago, Sebster03 said:

You've said this before. Jobs are capped TPE, so if you're capping every week having a job wouldn't make you get any further.

Also, I'm pretty sure I joined under a year before you, same as most of the other currently active players in the league. Having a negative mindset like this is just going to make it harder for you to make it going forward.

I joined as a new player in late 2018 and will be retiring Kastelic as the highest TPE player of all time. It's doable.