VHLMMA Sign-Up Thread

.sniffuM

A few months ago I got a setup going in WMMA5 for a yearly, 16 person tournament. I've been planning on getting 10 seasons of history into the game and then integrating it into the VHL, and with me being on self-quarantine from gallbladdervirus, I figured now would be as good a time as any to get this off the ground. There won't really be any user interaction here, fighter progression and all that is taken care of by the game, you're basically just sticking your chosen name on the fighter you get. Anyways, if you wanted to know some more about how I run this, here:

Spoiler

Tournament Life runs two tournaments a year: one for men and one for women. The men’s league fights at Featherweight and the women’s league fights at Bantamweight (this doesn’t really mean anything, these are just the weights I chose). Both of these tournaments are 16 person, single elimination tournaments. As those tournaments progress, every eliminated fighter matches up against others who were knocked out of the tournament, creating a scenario where every fighter is guaranteed 4 fights a year.

Seeding for the tournament is performance based, with prestige of the fighter used to break up close cases. The tournament winner is obviously guaranteed first seed in the next tournament, the runner-up is guaranteed second seed and the winner of the third place match is guaranteed the third seed. Because of the fact that fourth place in the tournament is coming off of a 2-2 year, it’s entirely possible that they start the next season as the fifth seed, if the top 3-1 non-semifinalist is a fighter with a better history. In every case to this point, any back-to-back fourth place finishes result in an automatic fourth seed. Beyond that all of the seeding basically comes at my discretion. When it comes to situations like sorting between the different 2-2 fighters for the middle seeds, I put head-to-head (if applicable) at the highest priority and then otherwise consider strength of wins and strength of losses. Prestige of the fighter rarely comes into play, unless it’s a situation like a frequent semifinal contender having a rough year and going 1-3.

The tournaments do not re-seed by round. This was originally done because one of the ways that I catalogue the league’s history, the in-game tournament function, doesn’t allow for this. However, despite me only ever really relying on my manual logging of the results, I’ve seen both leagues get saddled with the same three or four fighters dominating for a few consecutive years, and that can get boring. Having two double-digit seeds get to battle it out for a semi-final spot because they both pulled off big upsets in the first round is a more fun way of doing it in my opinion.

Fighters remain in Tournament Life until they retire naturally, or until they finish ranked #16 in any season other than their first. I can also use my discretion to force retire other fighters, although the only time I’ve done that is a year with two 0-4 fighters.

This will be a when-I-feel-like-it kind of thing, where I'll sim and post results (maybe fight logs, at the least a short summary of each fight) whenever I get around to doing all that. If you wanna be in this, just fill out the form below. I'll randomly assign the first 32 people to sign up to a male or female fighter and they'll assume whatever history that assigned fighter had built up to that point.

Username:

Male Fighter Name:

Female Fighter Name: