Chicago Phoenix Press Conference

JeffD

bRVgb0P.png

Chicago Phoenix Press Conference (for weeks ending 4/2 or 4/9)

Answer 3 questions for 1 TPE, answer all 6 for 2!

claim here --> https://vhlportal.com/players/playermgmt under capped --> press conference

1. What place do you think Chicago will finish in the NA Conference this year?

2. Do you participate in VHFL/Super Coach and do you like that the league runs them?

3. Who do you think will lead the VHL in points this year?

4. What do you like most about the VHL?

5. Do you follow professional hockey? If so, what team/league?

6. Do you have a "bucket list" thing that you want to accomplish in life?

Edited by sadie

I think it is reasonable to slot us in for 4th in the NA this season, right on the playoff bubble and hopefully sneaking into the playoffs!

2. Do you participate in VHFL/Super Coach and do you like that the league runs them?

I used to participate in VHFL every season it ran, and I did the Super Coach thing when it was only for fun. I've become quite inactive though so I don't really partake in those things nowadays. I have no problem with the people that run them (assuming its the same people). I know Spartan ran the VHFL for quite awhile, and he did a good job of it. 

Sure as fuck won't be me. Maybe Clue?! Oh is ferks player still around? Biggie Cheese? I'll go with by boy ferk. 

I liked the hockey sim aspect of the VHL and I liked the comradery there used to be amongst alot of us in the community. Over time though the ladder slowly faded away and everything became way over moderated in my opinion. And that's kind of what led to me losing interest. 

Yep I am a big sports nerd. Sadly I was destined to be a lifelong Leafs fan, it's a sad life. I'm pretty into fantasy hockey also.

Nah that stuff is way too cliche. I would love to see the Leafs and/or Blue Jays win a championship in my lifetime. The Raptors did it... so you never know!

Thank you for putting this together @sadie it's been quite some time since we've had a Chicago PC. I appreciate your efforts!

I think I'll have to see who we bring in before start of the season before I can give a proper gauge on that. It's going to be much tougher this season though as I think a lot of teams are geared up well to compete this season.

I've done both and like them both as well, although I wouldn't mind more consideration for timezones when it comes to group assignments, there's already been one pick where I was nearly skipped because the previous pick was at 3 AM my time and I didn't finish work till 2:40 PM

I think it will likely be someone from Calgary, could be any of Janser/Leandro/Landon really

The community and the work they put in to make the league what it is. The sim engine is cool, but after a while it's difficult to just keep interested through that alone. 

I wouldn't say I follow it necessarily, but I do have favourite NHL team (Nashville)

I'd say there's things I'd like to do, but I also wouldn't neccessarily call it a bucket list. Like I would like to go Japan at some point, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if that didn't happen.

• 2 weeks later...

bRVgb0P.png

Chicago Phoenix Press Conference (for weeks ending 4/16 or 4/23)

claim here --> https://vhlportal.com/players/playermgmt under capped --> press conference

1. The Phoenix just can't stop winning! How long you think we can stay at the top of the league?

2. Ryan Vidot is 2nd in league points with 34 in 24 games played. Do you think their play is the main reason Chicago leads the league in points and do you think they can overtake Ronan Lavelle for #1?

3. Do you think the Phoenix should make any moves as we approach the deadline to ensure a better chance at a cup?

4. Do you have any good ideas for a future VHL player? 

5. How has your 2023 been going so far? Better or worse than 2022?

6. If you could be a pro in any sport besides hockey, what would it be? 

1. The Phoenix just can't stop winning! How long you think we can stay at the top of the league?

Well if we keep playing as well as we have, for a long time yet!

2. Ryan Vidot is 2nd in league points with 34 in 24 games played. Do you think their play is the main reason Chicago leads the league in points and do you think they can overtake Ronan Lavelle for #1?

I think they've definitely got a shot at overtaking and are definitely our main offensive outlet, I'd probably say our overall defensive efforts and discipline have been the main reason for leading though, as we've had the least penalty minutes and shots against in the league by a considerable distance.

3. Do you think the Phoenix should make any moves as we approach the deadline to ensure a better chance at a cup?

I think we should hopefully be OK with what we have at the minute, if anything maybe just bring in a backup goalie closer to the TDL so that we don't lose any steam when we have our 8 backup games.

I have something in mind for my next player, but don't want to spoil it!

Unfortunately my working life has gone sharply downhill since the start of the year, so I'd happily take 2022 back.

I would say soccer, if anything just cause there's so much money in it!

At this point it's a pretty good sample size, I think he we can stay in the upper tier of the NA Conference for the rest of the season for sure!

I think Vidot is definitely a huge part of the team for sure, and I could see them surpassing Levelle for most points in the league at some point, but it takes a team effort to be an elite team, and we are getting contributions from lots of people, which is great.

I think considering that there are no injuries in VHL to provide any random obstacles, we don't really need to add anything. The roster we have has proven we can take on anyone so we should just roll with that in my opinion.

Not really, I think after Scotty Sundin rides off into the sunset, that will probably be it for my time in the VHL, but who knows!

It's about the same to be honest. Life is a grind haha. Could be worse though I suppose.

I think I'd be a baseball player. I'm a big baseball guy, it would be sweet to be a baseball star and hit some dingers!

IkIaFZP.png

Chicago Phoenix Press Conference (for weeks ending 4/23 or 4/30)

1. Seattle has been very hot recently and has overtaken us for top of the conference. In our one matchup against them this season it was a close 4-3 win. How big will our remaining 4 games against them be?

2. What has your player been working on in practice lately (where did you/are needing to apply your TPE)?

3. How do you feel about Chicago's future? Do you think we need more young talent to stay in contention for the playoffs over the coming years or will we be okay?

4. Do you believe that offense or defense wins championships?

5. What is something you really love to learn about? Mine is outer space.

6. What is your favorite thing to do to pass the time?

Edited by sadie
updating graphic

Sorry I am crashing your PC since ours hasn't gone up in ages

1. I think it will be huge for you guys. Both of your teams match up well and it should be an exciting race.  

2. I am banking mostly.  Depreciation hurt Payne bad this year and didn't have enough TPE to cover losses.  So I added some defense and am banking until next season.

3. I think adding good young talent will serve you well in case someone goes IA.  Finding a diamond in the rough in VHLM and mentoring them through is a good plan.

4. Defense 

5. HMMMMM..  World War 2 history

6. Read

1. Seattle has been very hot recently and has overtaken us for top of the conference. In our one matchup against them this season it was a close 4-3 win. How big will our remaining 4 games against them be?

I think it will be big for our chances at winning Victory Cup for certain, at the same time, the NA is so strong at the minute that I don't think there will be any easy games regardless of where we finish in the standings.

2. What has your player been working on in practice lately (where did you/are needing to apply your TPE)?

Like Scurvy, been banking because depreciation is TOUGH! The main aim is to keep my scoring and defense figures high.

3. How do you feel about Chicago's future? Do you think we need more young talent to stay in contention for the playoffs over the coming years or will we be okay?

It's an interesting point in our timeline for us as I think we're entering the situation where a team would usually be considering rebuilding, but we do have some good young players like Minion and Liv Slater so maybe we can carry on for a bit longer.

4. Do you believe that offense or defense wins championships?

I'd say in the VHL, I'd probably go with offense, more championships seem to be won by teams that have lots of good forwards rather than lots of good defensemen

5. What is something you really love to learn about? Mine is outer space.

I've always wanted to pick up another language like Japanese.

6. What is your favorite thing to do to pass the time?

I play a lot of videogames, I'm currently playing the DLC for Xenoblade Chronicles 3. 

• 3 months later...

FD2QWZ7.png

You ONLY have to answer 6 of the 8 Questions
Week Of August 13th - August 20th

1: There are a lot of new faces around this organization. To help with introductions, what's one thing you'd like your team to know about you?

2: Who is/was your favorite NHL player?

3: Which player does your player model their game after, if any?

4: If you had a custom goal song, which one would you choose?

5: Which attribute do you think is the most important in the VHL?

6: Is there any VHL player you'd want to play with one day?

7: If you had a lightsaber, which color would it be?

8: What is your favorite videogame?

1: There are a lot of new faces around this organization. To help with introductions, what's one thing you'd like your team to know about you?

Hello I am fromtheinside, and my player is Scotty Sundin. I am planning on being a career member of the Phoenix and currently have two seasons left before retirement. I've been pretty distant with the VHL in recent memory, but I am going to try and make a decent effort to be more involved a bit more again. I am excited to see what Cole and Masu decide to do with the Chicago franchise and I think we are in great hands.

Growing up I have had a few different favs. Gilmour and Sundin when I was younger. About 10 or so years ago I was a big James Reimer guy. Nowadays I don't really know. I guess Marner is my favourite Leaf. I am hoping to snag Connor Bedard in my keeper fantasy hockey league, if I can manage that then Im gonna be a big Bedard fan haha.

Lol easy question, Mats Sundin of course! Mats was a big strong center who was just so good all-around and was a quiet leader. That's who I model my player off of. 

Well seeing how we are Chicago, I guess the Chelsea Dagger theme would be fitting for our club. For me personally though... hmmm whats a good anime theme... lets go with RUMBLING from AoT lmao.

DEF or SC for sure. I think defense is pretty impactful in a lot of different ways, so I can only choose one, it would be that one probably.

It's been awhile since I played with Boom. Always a top option for me. Pretty excited to play with Laine on a team finally, never thought we would end up together anywhere. There's lots of people Id enjoy being teammates with. 

Red obv. They look the coolest and they bring that Sith energy that I am all about lol.

Tough question. There's a ton of good options. I played a ton of Counter Strike and World of Warcraft growing up, so those games are special to me. I really enjoyed Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, those are GOAT'd for me. Starfield comes out in a couple weeks and I have high hopes for that game, maybe it will be one of my favs.

On 8/14/2023 at 2:30 PM, Masu Chan said:

FD2QWZ7.png

Week Of August 13th - August 20th

1. Ryan Artyomov is the greatest goaltender to ever grace a sheet of ice.

5. Defense is a no-brainer. No matter your position or role, you should be maximizing DF at all turns.

8. Fallout 3/NV. They're basically interchangeable to me because I started and finished each of them in the same summer in high school. 100%ed all achievements too.

Rheb2Ib.png
You ONLY have to answer 6 of the 8 Questions
WEEK OF AUGUST 21st - AUGUST 27th

1: The season starts this week! Are you excited?

2: Aside from Chicago. Which team do you think has the best branding in the VHL?

3: How many points do you expect from your player this season?

4: No promises or anything, but for future signature/graphic reference, which NHL player do you want your VHL player to resemble?

5: Are you going to play NHL 24? Why?

6: Which NHL player do you think will have the most goals this season?

7: Do you have a favorite quote from a movie or show? If so, what is it?

8: What is your favorite beverage?

59 minutes ago, Masu Chan said:

Yes,  I hate the offseason.  Sorry crashing your PC

2: Aside from Chicago. Which team do you think has the best branding in the VHL?
Vancouver Wolves

I think Payne has about 80 points this season.
4: No promises or anything, but for future signature/graphic reference, which NHL player do you want your VHL player to resemble?

Kevin Bieksa

Yes, but I hope they have GM Connected.  EA needs to spend more time on the game too.  

59 minutes ago, Masu Chan said:

John Jameson

Yeah it's an exciting season around here. We are rolling out a brand new team pretty much and it should be cool to see how all the new faces perform. Obviously we have tempered expectations as we are kicking off a rebuild essentially, but there's still lots to be excited for.

I think DC Dragons and Malmo Nighthawks both have some pretty sick drip. The DCD logo is probably the best design, but I love the Malmo colours so much. 

I think purely from the amount of minutes I will playing, that 80 points is pretty realistic. I'm hoping to be a point per game player this season, so anything over 72 is solid. 

Well my character is based off of Mats Sundin, so that's the obvious choice. If I had to pick someone more modern, maybe Anze Kopitar as he is a veteran center just like my player is. 

Lol oh boy, don't get me started. Fuck no I'm not getting NHL 24. Granted, there's still time for them to announce some new game modes or whatever, but we all know that's not happening. The EA NHL franchise has become such a joke. I feel bad for the devs that have to make the game. EA gives them so little resources because the NHL franchise makes them basically nothing in comparison to Madden and FIFA. Every year is pretty much just slight gameplay tweaks, that usually end up getting patched in the first month anyways. The game is just an empty husk with its only purpose to push out subpar HUT content. If HUT was done better maybe I'd be more into it, but they can't even get that right. Look at MLB The Show's Diamond Dynasty and how much content they push out, not to mention you can have a competitive team for free.  Speaking of MLB The Show... NHL's big reveal and selling point this year is that it's cross-platform... of course it's not cross-gen, so it's still limited. MLB The Show has been cross platform and cross gen for 2 years now and you can literally play with anyone you want... NHL still can't figure it out. OK end of rant lmao. I should claim this shit as a Media Spot. 

Probably McDavid or Matthews. Not an exciting answer, but that's who I'd bet on if I were to place a wager.

7: Do you have a favorite quote from a movie or show? If so, what is it?

There's probably a ton of them but Thanos from Avengers Endgame has a good one. "It nearly killed me, but the work is done. It always will be. I am... inevitable." Then there is a ton of them from D2: The Mighty Ducks that I love.. such as: "2 minutes for.... ROPING? That's a new one on me!" and "IT'S KNUCKLEPUCK TIME!"  and  of course "THE QUACK ATTACK IS BACK JACK!!". What a great movie. 

8: What is your favorite beverage?

I know people love their booze, but chocolate milk will always be my S-tier beverage.  Nestea is a close second, and that's NESTEA, not fucking Brisk Tea. If you give me a Brisk Tea we will have serious fucking issues. 

Rheb2Ib.png

WEEK OF August 28th - September 3rd

1: Might've been better to ask this during the first week, but what is your preferred jersey number and why?

2: If you were to have your custom team in the VHL, what would you name it?

3: Which attribute do you plan on focusing on this season?

4: At this point in the season, do you see your player winning any awards? Still a lot of games left!

5: If you could appear on any ongoing show, which would you choose?

6: Who is your favorite YouTube creator? If you have one. 

7: If you were an animal, which animal would you be?

8: What is a scallop?

1: Might've been better to ask this during the first week, but what is your preferred jersey number and why?

Growing up i was always a big fan of number 15. It was Tomas Kaberle's number plus my birthday is on the 15th so yeah kinda always stuck with it. 

I would name it the Yukon Rush and it would be in the VHLM. #BringBackYukon, what a travesty the VHL committed when Yukon got Thanos snapped out of existence just to serve the E. Still pisses me off to this day lol. 

Probably just banking all season now to fight that nasty depreciation of my last season. But DEF and SC are probably the top priorities. 

4: At this point in the season, do you see your player winning any awards? Still a lot of games left!

Well first off, the team's success is the most important thing. I really am happy to see us getting off to a respectable start this season. As for awards, I'm not really chasing AWARDS per se, but I do kind of wanna go for some of the all-time records in the Chicago Phoenix record book. I am getting pretty close!

Hmm that's a good question. Lol maybe The Bear... if you don't know what that show is, it's a show about a guy trying keep alive his dead brother's restaurant. It resonates with me alot since I am a line cook, and the details in the show are so spot on. I could see myself working for Carmy. If you have ever seen Shameless, the guy who plays Lip is the main character, I highly recommend it, it's great. Now if we went the anime route, I'd probably wanna be in Luffy's crew in One Piece. He's going to be King of the Pirates after all.

Ah geez I go through fazes. Obviously being a Leafs fan I am a Steve Dangle guy. Outside of that I really like NorthernLion and Asmongold. Both of them are more Twitch streamers who take their VODs and use it as YouTube content, but it's all the same shit really lol. Also love me some Uncle Roger.

I'd definitely be a big old fat bunny rabbit with big ol floppy ears just mucking grass all day and shitting all over the place, living my best life. For sure. 

Scallops are a type of seafood kinda. I'm allergic to shellfish so I can't really compare taste, but the texture and how you cook them are comparable to shrimp kinda. You wannna pan-sear them, and arroser them (you melt down your hot liquid, tilt the pan on angle so the liquid is pooled in the bottom, with your scallops at the top of the pan, then continuously keep spooning the hot butter/oil/whatever over top of the scallops over and over) 

On 8/28/2023 at 3:37 PM, Masu Chan said:

Rheb2Ib.png

WEEK OF August 28th - September 3rd

1. 98. I've worn that number my entire life and NO IT IS NOT BECAUSE OF BEDARD.

3. Scoring, but I'll be retiring at the TDL and recreating, so who knows by then!

4. Probably not. My player on Toronto is having a rough season and I doubt I'll win any.

6. My favorite youtuber is probably Eck, TheHockeyGuy, or TacTixHD, they're all good hockey creators.

7. I would be a whale, because then I'm huge and can vibe in the ocean.

8. Erm, what the scallop. It's that stuff in the ocean that looks like oysters and you can eat it. :P

Rheb2Ib.png

WEEK OF September 4th - September 10th

1: Which NHL team do you cheer for?

2: What is your favorite real life non-NHL team? (don't know if I asked this yet)

3: If the VHL hosted a 3's tournament in the offseason, which two players (+ goalie) would you choose to play alongside your player?

4: Have you ever been part of a real life tournament for any sport, videogame or anything? If so, how'd it go?

5: What does your player fill his water bottle with?

6: If you were an NHL scout, which attribute would you look for in a player?

7: CM Punk was fired from AEW. Do you care? XD

8: If you could eat one food from any media (Show, Movie, Book). Which food would you choose and why?

On 9/4/2023 at 8:07 PM, Masu Chan said:

Rheb2Ib.png

WEEK OF September 4th - September 10th

1: Which NHL team do you cheer for?

2: What is your favorite real life non-NHL team? (don't know if I asked this yet)

3: If the VHL hosted a 3's tournament in the offseason, which two players (+ goalie) would you choose to play alongside your player?

4: Have you ever been part of a real life tournament for any sport, videogame or anything? If so, how'd it go?

5: What does your player fill his water bottle with?

6: If you were an NHL scout, which attribute would you look for in a player?

7: CM Punk was fired from AEW. Do you care? XD

8: If you could eat one food from any media (Show, Movie, Book). Which food would you choose and why?

1. The Canucks
2. I like the Ravens in the NFL but don't really follow them
4. Yeah I've played at video game LAN tournaments in Halifax and Moncton. We got half shit on but it was really fun
5. "Water"
6. Honestly I think the main thing I'd look for is how they act off the ice. Building a good LR culture (and not getting in social media scandals) is underrated
7. Is this wrestling? I don't follow it so yeah don't really care.

Rheb2Ib.png

WEEK OF September 11th - September 17th

1: Which player do you think has been Chicago's MVP so far?

2: At this point, how many points (For goalies it'll say wins) do you expect to end this season with?

3: What is your bold NHL prediction for this season?

4: What was the longest you've played a single Be A Pro career in NHL games?

5: If you got a new pet, what would you name it?

6: Which language do you wish you could speak?

7: What is your favorite band?

8: Aside from Game Of Thrones, which series has the most disappointing ending?

13 hours ago, Masu Chan said:

Rheb2Ib.png

WEEK OF September 11th - September 17th

2: At this point, how many points (For goalies it'll say wins) do you expect to end this season with?

1. Definitely either Scotty Sundin or Retoslav, both are at point per game pace and are complimenting eachother perfectly on the first line.

2. I'm expecting about 73-76 from Ivan for this season.

3. That the Leafs are once again not going to get out of the first round of the playoffs.

4. I've had two long career modes in the NHL games, my longest was 900 career games played in NHL 21, followed by 570 career game splayed in NHL 22. In total between the two career modes I have around 2300 career points. Funny thing about the NHL 21 career, I didn't win the cup until my 8th season, and I never won it again. Meanwhile I have 3 cups in 7-8 seasons in NHL 22. (Also got FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY of first overall by Lafreniere in NHL 21)

6. German 100%, I'd love to move to switzerland, and specifically the German part of the country appeals to me. Knowing the language would make it so much easier to move there.

7. I've said this in a Malmo PC, Sabaton. History and Heavy Metal? Perfect combination.

For sure it's been our goalie. Jeffy has been holding it down in between the pipes this season. He's giving us a shot each and every night out there. 

Currently I am sitting at 50, so I think 80 is a realistic goal to finish the season. Anything more than that would be a nice bonus. 

Hmm how bold do I have to be here.. how about this, I think Ottawa AND Buffalo make the playoffs this season. Is that bold enough?

Probably like 3 full seasons and playoffs before losing interest lol. It was never my goto game mode. 

Not a big pet guy tbh. But I'd get like a bunny and name it something stupid, like Cat.

Japanese, obviously. If not Japanese, Indian or Cantonese seem like good languages to pick up.

Linkin Park has been and will always be my favourite band. I grew up on them. RIP Chester ❤️

I know Game of Thrones wasn't ideal, the pacing of the final season was fucked, but I agreed with how a lot of the characters ended up.  But the path to getting there was just so fucked lol. But to answer the question, Lost and Dexter were both so much worse than Game of Thrones. Dexter was just laughably bad, but Lost was the most unfulfilling and disappointing end to a series and it ain't close.

Rheb2Ib.png

Still too Lazy to change the E and O around...

WEEK OF September 18th - September 24th

1: Is there anything you've learned about your character that you'll use for your next player (Whenever it is that you decide to make a new player)

2: If the Phoenix had to change their colors, which colors would you think would work best with our logo?

3: In Rock, Paper, Scissors, which are you most likely to choose.

4: Which PWHL team will you most likely cheer for as the league prepares for its first season?

5: Do you believe more NHL stars should take discounts on their contracts in order to win?

6: Which Movie do you wish had a sequel?

7: On a similar topic do you have a show, game, or movie that you really enjoy and think it's underrated?

8: Best anime opening?

12 hours ago, Masu Chan said:

Rheb2Ib.png

Still too Lazy to change the E and O around...

WEEK OF September 18th - September 24th

1: Is there anything you've learned about your character that you'll use for your next player (Whenever it is that you decide to make a new player)

2: If the Phoenix had to change their colors, which colors would you think would work best with our logo?

3: In Rock, Paper, Scissors, which are you most likely to choose.

4: Which PWHL team will you most likely cheer for as the league prepares for its first season?

5: Do you believe more NHL stars should take discounts on their contracts in order to win?

6: Which Movie do you wish had a sequel?

7: On a similar topic do you have a show, game, or movie that you really enjoy and think it's underrated?

8: Best anime opening?

1. I've learned that I not only have a slight gambling addiction, but that I'm also way too good at blackjack, so if I play in Vegas you know why.

2. I think Blue, Orange, and White, similar to the colours of the Kamloops Blazers.

3. I'd probably choose rock most times because it's hard to tell when someone is choosing it.

5. Yes especially Matthews, he puts up 80 points and gets paid $13M per year for it, complete joke.

6. Songs of War, they cancelled the second one due to lack of support so the story kind of just ends abruptly after the first one.

7. In terms of game, BeamNG.drive, not too many people play it, but the simracing scene and multiplayer mod have made it a fun racing game similar to Forza Horizon 5 but with better crash physics.