The Greenland Invasion

dlamb

125px-Flag_of_Greenland.svg.png

Why in the world are players from Greenland emerging suddenly? In the portal era, not even one existed until Season 70. In the last 9 seasons, we have seen 13 players, to mostly successful careers.

Nothing on the forums seems to indicate the sudden surge of Greenlandic players. Besides some half-jokingly suggestions about an expansion team there (mostly @GustavMattias calling for the Nuuk Nukes), not much seems to indicate where this all started. A potential theory is members being FROM Greenland (hello if you are reading!), but none of my research has confirmed that to be true. Join me as I take a look at all the players from the country and their careers thus far.

Back in Season 70, it was obviously a rarity for a prospect to hail from Greenland. As stated by @DollarAndADream in a December 9th, 2019 forum comment, replying to the backstory of Lewis Dawson, a pioneer of Greenland’s impact on the VHL: “Hockey player from Greenland? How unique.” Well DaaD, it may be not so unique anymore, but rather a blossoming VHL player producing powerhouse.

Let us look at the first generation of Greenlandic players, one in which we can call THE BEGINNING.

C Lewis Dawson (S70) 932 TPE RETIRED @Kendrick

Dawson marks the earliest VHL player from Greenland in the portal era, with Dawson popping up on VHLM scouts’ radar in mid-November, 2019. The all-time leader in TPE, for now, from the world’s biggest island, Dawson compiled 396 career points in the VHL between Malmo, Calgary, Davos, and DC, winning a Victory cup with the Wranglers as a rental in Season 75.

1210680658-850x560.jpeg

RW Aleelee Kiak (S70) 494 TPE RETIRED @Grant

As VHLM scouts discovered the aforementioned Dawson, it was not long until they found another gem in Kiak. The first champion on this list, Aleelee was able to conquer both the VHLM and VHL, winning a Founder’s Cup in Season 70 with Minnesota, and a Continental Cup in Season 73. A respectable career, however cut short, there is nothing to complain about Kiak’s 238 points in 287 regular season VHL games.

G Grekkark Gyrfalcon (S73) 775 TPE :prg: @Sharkstrong

The only known goalie from Greenland to see VHL ice thus far, Gyrfalcon has enjoyed a very nice career between Malmo and Prague. Another double champion (VHLM + VHL), along with a 178-124-21 record and a career .915 SV%, Grekkark has inspired many from their country to strap on the pads and see what the VHL has to offer.

D Mie Dickinson (S75) 72 TPE FREE AGENT @garbageproducts

Unfortunately, Dickinson had trouble keeping up with training, and only lasted 1 season in the VHLM with Miami before disappearing from VHL ice completely.

D Thunder Dick (S75) 66 TPE RETIRED @garbageproducts

As was with Dickinson, Thunder Dick was unable to complete the transition, and was never able to impress VHL/M scouts enough to land a deal. He has since retired.

After those players, all was quiet. We did not see any talent good enough to crack a VHLM or VHL lineup from the cold island in Season 76. Little did we know, we were about to begin a new generation… in one I call THE EXPLOSION.

C Asher Reinhart (S77) 490 TPE :tor: @rjfryman

VHL, get ready for the family taking over the entire league – the Reinharts. Asher, who many say is most skilled right now, is another champion, taking the S75 Founder’s Cup with Philadelphia.  Asher contributed to the Toronto Legion’s return to the playoffs, and is set to become their franchise Centre for years to come.

D Reylynn Reinhart (S77) 476 TPE :dav: @Ricer13

The next 2 sort of go hand-in-hand. Reylynn Reinhart and Zeedayno Chara are the first 2 defenders from Greenland to officially play a VHL game. They play similar games, and they compliment eachother every time they play together, whether it be back in the motherland, or in the World Juniors. Reylynn is a silky smooth passer. No notable awards to talk about right now, but I expect that to change sooner rather than later.

15515651.jpeg

D Zeedayno Chara (S77) 414 TPE :nya: @Jubis

Big Z, as they call him, is an absolute menace on New York’s blueline. As a rookie, he put up 6 goals and 41 assists, just a glimmer of what he can do. Chara and his Greenlandic roots hope to bring NYA back to the playoffs sometime real soon.

D Joe Madison (S77) 260 TPE :cal: @Brewins15

A very promising prospect, Madison looks to make an impact with Calgary next season, where they are penciled in to begin Season 78. They showed off their offensive prowess this past season in the VHLM, with 67 points with Mississauga, helping them reach the Founder’s Cup finals.

D Inunnguaq Kiak (S77) 182 TPE :sea: @Grant

When it comes to hockey families, Canada has the Sutters and the Staals, but Greenland has the Reinharts and the Kiaks. The second-generation Kiak, Inunnguaq, is already following in Aleelee’s footsteps by starting off their career with a Founder’s Cup, accomplished in S77 with the Mexico City Kings. Inunnguaq may spend another season in the VHLM, but had a coming out party in Season 77 with 26 goals and 81 points in 71 games.

C Jlloyoid Blloyoiderson (S78) 112 TPE S78 DRAFT ELIGIBLE @Cxsquared

An absolute mouthful of a name, Blloyoiderson has flashes of brilliance here and there, but has stalled on training from time to time, so there is question marks surrounding their future. Scouts say the talent is there, however if the commitment is not, then Blloyoiderson may end up as the next Thunder Dick. Only the future will tell.

1192985731.jpeg

G Tobias Reinhart (S78) 148 TPE S78 DRAFT ELIGIBLE @Spaz

The second of the two Greenlandic netminders, Tobias has been absolutely stellar thus far in his VHLM career. Rocking a 12-1-0 record, he still has some improvements to make, but scouts are saying he will be one of the first goalers taken off the board at the Season 78 VHL draft.

RW Tyler Reinhart (S79) 149 TPE S79 DRAFT ELIGIBLE @Zetterberg

One of, if not the top prospect for the Season 79 VHL draft, the most recent Reinhart to announce for the VHL draft has his sights set on being the highest drafted player from his home country. He showed improvements in his game across his stint with the Mississauga Hounds, however, has yet to score a regular season VHLM goal. Look for that to change early next season.

It is crazy the talent we are seeing come from a country of just 56,225. I do not think it is going to stop, as scouts have added Greenland to their usual scouting trips, just looking for the next budding star. As we start to get more and more players coming to the VHL, it may be safe to assume that eventually we may see a World Junior or World Cup team consisting of just the one country – akin to Canada or USA.

Side note: Did you know Greenland is a territory of Denmark? In 1946, the United States offered to buy Greenland from Denmark for $100,000,000. That is all.

(1150-ish Words, claiming for Week Ending 16 and 23)

6 hours ago, dlamb said:

Join me as I take a look at all the players from the territory (fixed) and their careers thus far.

As we start to get more and more players coming to the VHL, it may be safe to assume that eventually we may see a World Junior or World Cup team consisting of just the one territory (fixed) – akin to Canada or USA (except these are countries).

Side note: Did you know Greenland is a territory of Denmark? (Yes, which is why I find it strange the portal lists it as a "country" people can be from - we sure have had a lot of new Danish players...) In 1946, the United States offered to buy Greenland from Denmark for $100,000,000. That is all.

(1150-ish Words, claiming for Week Ending 16 and 23)

• Commissioner
3 hours ago, Victor said:

Given its basically Denmark, I would assume it should be Nordic.

As I understand it Greenland is it’s own country, just under the kingdom of Denmark. Sorta similar to the commonwealth with the UK. So saying it’s basically Denmark would be like saying Canada is basically Britain.

I would say Greenland goes to team World. They aren’t specifically listed in any of the other groups which has historically always meant World.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Beketov said:

As I understand it Greenland is it’s own country, just under the kingdom of Denmark. Sorta similar to the commonwealth with the UK. So saying it’s basically Denmark would be like saying Canada is basically Britain.

I would say Greenland goes to team World. They aren’t specifically listed in any of the other groups which has historically always meant World.

Hard disagree

Greenland is an autonomous territory[11] within the Kingdom of Denmark. Though physiographically a part of the continent of North America, Greenland has been politically and culturally associated with Europe (specifically Norway and Denmark, the colonial powers) for more than a millennium, beginning in 986.

Greenland is not its own country so it's more like Puerto Rico than Canada. Although Puerto Rico i think usually goes into World but it's not like the US needs any help with player numbers. Nordic on the other hand might do.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Victor said:

Hard disagree

Greenland is an autonomous territory[11] within the Kingdom of Denmark. Though physiographically a part of the continent of North America, Greenland has been politically and culturally associated with Europe (specifically Norway and Denmark, the colonial powers) for more than a millennium, beginning in 986.

Greenland is not its own country so it's more like Puerto Rico than Canada. Although Puerto Rico i think usually goes into World but it's not like the US needs any help with player numbers. Nordic on the other hand might do.

We can't really decide based on "which team needs them more" though. I'm fine saying it's more like Puerto Rico but you said it yourself: they fall under World not US. I would say that applies here as well and that's coming from someone who's player does fall under Nordic and may benefit from having the extra help.

Greenland's legal status is the same as the Faroe Islands, which are part of UEFA when it comes to soccer, so in that sense, Greenland would be characterized in all likelihood as European if it were a member of either FIFA or UEFA

Edited by Bojovnik

Nordic = more north than Europe, more east than North America, more west than Russia, really cold, mostly ice, good at hockey. I think Greenland should be Team Nordic

but also who cares about the World Cup, they're Team World in the only tournament that matters, the World Junior Championships.

4 hours ago, Beketov said:

You understand incorrectly, Greenland is not recognized as a country by any official governing bodies, least of all the UN who are the ones who decide it. I don't even think Greenland has pushed for independence, and are in fact perfectly content to be a Danish territory. Saying that Greenland is basically Denmark is like saying Alaska is basically USA, it just factually is part of Denmark in every conceivable way. Greenland has at no point in its history been a country.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Beketov said:

We can't really decide based on "which team needs them more" though. I'm fine saying it's more like Puerto Rico but you said it yourself: they fall under World not US. I would say that applies here as well and that's coming from someone who's player does fall under Nordic and may benefit from having the extra help.

I mean we can because we know Canada and the US will never need help while any other region other than World more often than not will.

Also we've decided based on that throughout the entire history of the World cup lol.

1 hour ago, Ricer13 said:

Greenland has been trying to push for independence for decades. It’s bigger now than it ever was.

https://www.arctictoday.com/greenlands-new-leadership-will-be-challenged-by-a-push-for-faster-independence/?wallit_nosession=1

Hope they get it honestly. Didn't know this was a thing, but it certainly makes more sense than being ruled by a place a quarter of the planet away. 

Still definitely not a country now though

Review:

Great look at the Greenland invasion in the VHL along with the history of those players and how well they faired. It reminds me of the early days with all the Swiss players. The article was well-prepared, easy to read and look at. And it sparked some interesting conversations which may impact the VHL in the future! Great job, @dlamb!

10/10