The One about the Third League

Beketov

Hi commies, I have some questions :) 

1. When does the new depreciation timeframe come into question? Will any current players (S71-S78) have their depreciation timelines changed up?
  2. How are IA rules changing in the M/VHL, if they’re changing at all. Is there still no tolerance for IA’s on M rosters? Still only 1 IA allowed per VHL team?
  3. Regarding the choice for going up at 350, will that be a decision by draft day or by the M cutoff day for any given season? Draft day feels a bit soon for a rather large decision.
  4. Will there be any changes to carryover rules to potentially assist veterans avoid the E completely and get back to the VHL sooner? Higher carryover percentage, or something along those lines.
  5. In regards to the graduation bonus, I’m assuming that it kicks in when you go from the M to the E. However, if someone is at 340 TPE and can only hit 350 TPE when the first game of the season is simmed (as that is when the bonus is applied), will there be no way for that player to go straight up to the VHL since call-ups are limited to the off-season?
Edited by Spartan

I've thought this made a ton of sense since I looked at the rosters at the start of last season, so I think it's pretty cool and exciting, although I always liked the idea of the 8-season clock having been in place since the start of the league as something that was sort of the same about every player's career. Reasoning behind the 9th year makes sense, but it seems like it won't be all that rare to see 9-season players now.

This is good for the 270 TPE players to have a place to play without being forced to play tiny minutes, it's good for those teams that don't necessarily have to carve out a role for a 270 TPE player, etc... good for the other players on those teams, too. Makes sense all around I think.

I do think the name's a little awkward with the VHL already having teams in European places, but other than that I think this is cool.

Edited by tcookie

• Commissioner
8 minutes ago, Spartan said:

1. When does the new depreciation timeframe come into question? Will any current players (S71-S78) have their depreciation timelines changed up?
  2. How are IA rules changing in the M/VHL, if they’re changing at all. Is there still no tolerance for IA’s on M rosters? Still only 1 IA allowed per VHL team?
  3. Regarding the choice for going up at 350, will that be a decision by draft day or by the M cutoff day for any given season? Draft day feels a bit soon for a rather large decision.
  4. Will there be any changes to carryover rules to potentially assist veterans avoid the E completely and get back to the VHL sooner? Higher carryover percentage, or something along those lines.
  5. In regards to the graduation bonus, I’m assuming that it kicks in when you go from the M to the E. However, if someone is at 340 TPE and can only hit 350 TPE when the first game of the season is simmed (as that is when the bonus is applied), will there be no way for that player to go straight up to the VHL since call-ups are limited to the off-season?

SO I can only answer the questions that I have the ability to answer.

This does not change any IA rules in the M. As far as the VHL- not my territory can't answer.

Looney Tunes Nothing To See Here GIF

• Commissioner
3 minutes ago, Acydburn said:

SO I can only answer the questions that I have the ability to answer.

This does not change any IA rules in the M. As far as the VHL- not my territory can't answer.

Looney Tunes Nothing To See Here GIF

But in all seriousness. Things are still being discussed and figured out. So while I have a general idea I dont want to give out bad information as far as interactions or what the VHL is doing. 

The deprecation changes I believe don't affect anyone created before S80. Don't quote me though.

When it comes to the decision IDK when it will ultimately be, the thing is that it's not immediate. You have an entire season to make that decision and only if you hit the 350 mark in the M (not sure you can yet).  

The other stuff is still being discussed. 

57 minutes ago, Spartan said:

1. No, it will only apply to players S80 and beyond

2. At the moment no changes are planned, but discussion is ongoing and things could change after a couple seasons if they need to. 

3. That will be a decision for the VHL GM and player once they’re drafted, same as players below the 250 cap now. 

4. No

5. At the moment, no. Things can change, but at least right now, there is no plan for exemptions or allowing of VHLE > VHL recalls in-season. 

1 minute ago, Quik said:

1. No, it will only apply to players S80 and beyond

2. At the moment no changes are planned, but discussion is ongoing and things could change after a couple seasons if they need to. 

3. That will be a decision for the VHL GM and player once they’re drafted, same as players below the 250 cap now. 

4. No

5. At the moment, no. Things can change, but at least right now, there is no plan for exemptions or allowing of VHLE > VHL recalls in-season. 

So in that situation can a VHL GM call a player up before 350?

edit: oops, only meant to quote the response to #5

Edited by Spartan

• Admin
5 hours ago, MattyIce said:

Will the inactive rules in the E be similar to the M or the VHL?  Could it be a combination of both in some sort?

I personally lean towards VHL rules and relaxing of VHL rules, but we'll see. Like with the changes this offseason, numbers will drive this.

6 hours ago, tcookie said:

Reasoning behind the 9th year makes sense, but it seems like it won't be all that rare to see 9-season players now.

Probably rarer than you think. For example, only 1 S78 player would have been eligible to skip VHLE this season and pursue a 9 season career. And that's a risk anyway with an early start (joining a league where 95% of the population will be 100 TPA ahead of you) and signing up to some horrific 9th season depreciation. 

6 hours ago, Spartan said:

Regarding the choice for going up at 350, will that be a decision by draft day or by the M cutoff day for any given season? Draft day feels a bit soon for a rather large decision.

Yeah, end of offseason, and part of VHLE GM jobs will be figuring out if there's a chance of that happening with their targets.

• Commissioner
6 hours ago, tcookie said:

it seems like it won't be all that rare to see 9-season players now.

To give a bit of perspective if I remember my count correctly: going back as far as S70 there would be a dozen it would realistically apply to as an option (people around 325-350 at the draft) and only 1 that would have been a guarantee (was at like 390 or something at the draft)

So it will happen but we’re talking maybe 2 people per draft who will realistically be able to do 9 season careers and even fewer, like 1 per generation, that is guaranteed to do it.

Looks like some interesting new stuff, looking forward to see how it will play out!

One thing I am a little concerned about is the implemention of a TPE-minimum to play in the VHL, it feels like people might be underestimating how drastic a change that is especially since that minimum is set so high at 350 TPE. I'm not sure it's a good idea to limit people so severely in their choices early on in their career in order to force them to play in this new league we created, that they might not have been very interested to play in otherwise.

• Commissioner
12 minutes ago, RomanesEuntDomus said:

Looks like some interesting new stuff, looking forward to see how it will play out!

One thing I am a little concerned about is the implemention of a TPE-minimum to play in the VHL, it feels like people might be underestimating how drastic a change that is especially since that minimum is set so high at 350 TPE. I'm not sure it's a good idea to limit people so severely in their choices early on in their career in order to force them to play in this new league we created, that they might not have been very interested to play in otherwise.

I’d argue they already aren’t choosing to play much under it. 99% of players don’t play when they are under the VHLM’s 250 cap anyway and a number of those stop just shy of that limit and enter the VHL at 350 anyway. This arguably just gives them a better place to spend that time than in the developmental league.

I do get the concern though that it adds a step and that is why we extended the career clock as well. It is our hope that most players who would normally take this path and therefore only get 7 years will actually get the full 8 now. In addition to that if they take extra time they won’t be hit by depreciation as hard like they are now.

So it’s a bit less choice (which many of them weren’t choosing anyway) in exchange for some increased quality of life improvements.

3 hours ago, Victor said:

Probably rarer than you think. For example, only 1 S78 player would have been eligible to skip VHLE this season and pursue a 9 season career. And that's a risk anyway with an early start (joining a league where 95% of the population will be 100 TPA ahead of you) and signing up to some horrific 9th season depreciation. 

the more I read that, the more I think having a 9-season career is literally only for bragging rights.

HOLY SHIT

MAYBE THIS MEANS A PITT AND BUFFALO TEAM

AND Cohen Campbell will be one of the first in the VHLE 🔥

Edited by GrittyIsKing09

2 minutes ago, GrittyIsKing09 said:

HOLY SHIT

AND Cohen Campbell will be one of the first in the VHLE 🔥

Europe?

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, GrittyIsKing09 said:

Did you read the announcement at all?

9 minutes ago, McWolf said:

the more I read that, the more I think having a 9-season career is literally only for bragging rights.

I mean it’s not much different than the players who go up at 250 right now. You trade a worse rookie season for some extra stats.