VHLM Playoffs Preview

LucyXpher

Have you ever wondered where the word "playoff" comes from?  No? Just me? Okay then...

Well, I'm going to tell you what I learned anyway.  The term, playoff, is a combination of two English words, "play" and "off" (duh). What is interesting is that the two words have somewhat contrasting definitions.  "Off" is a word commonly used as a preposition to describe the position or place of something, usually a non-primary or negative location.  It has also been traditionally used to describe something being sent away or ended, an antonym of "on".  It's why we might say a deal is off, or we turn off lights. "Play", on the other hand, is a term that commonly refers to the beginning or engagement in an activity, usually a game.  While off is typically a term of negation, play is a positive term referring to the start and continuation of some action.  At the beginning of the season, you might hear the phrase, "play on", signaling the commencement of the game.  "Play off", on the other hand, suggests the beginning of the end, a call to wrap up action and determine a winner.

The first known use of the term was in the 1607 play, “Lests to Make You Merie” by Thomas Dekker and George Wilkins.  Eventually, the term would be used with more and more frequency in the sporting world.  While the literal meaning, to begin to end, is retained in the contemporary definition, the term gained a more specific attachment to the particular set of post-season games leading up to the awarding of a championship.  Those games became known as playoffs-- games played with the sole purpose of concluding a season by determining a winner.

And so, as the VHLM regular season comes to a close, so commences the playoffs, the beginning of the end of Season 92.  Though the regular season has already concluded, the season is far from decided with the most important games yet to be played.  Two teams (Halifax and Mississauga) have already been eliminated from contention, but the remaining 8 teams will matchup to determine who will raise the Founder's Cup as VHLM champions this season. With the linguistic lesson out of the way, let's look at the four first round playoff series that will kick off the endgame of Season 92.

(1) Philadelphia Reapers vs. (8) Saskatoon Wild

Coming off of a dominant regular season which saw them win 54 of 72 games, amassing 112 points, the Philadelphia Reapers are the favorite in this series.  There is, however, a lot of intrigue around this series as it sees this season's top regular season team against the Season 91 Champions, albeit with a very different roster from the team that actually won the Founder's Cup.  Saskatoon enters the playoffs with 68 points, just over half as many as Philadelphia, and only 28 wins in 72 games.  Despite the extreme disparity in regular season record, this series may prove to be a lot closer.  On paper, many analysts have been critical of this Reapers roster which boasts only 1 bona fide all star skater in Yermolai Nabokov @fonziGG.  With that said, the Reapers are full of players punching above their weight, providing offense and defense well above their projected value.  Players like Enn Jinn @jhatty8, Magni Jinn @DontCallMeCarson, and beaubeau primetime @Bobo are making the most of their ice time and are contributing greater value than their attributes might predict.  Behind all of this is probably their most important player, goaltender Jorgen Lovstrom @Pifferfish, who has made a strong case to be considered the top goalie in the VHLM this season with a .918%, 2.34 GAA, 3 shutouts, and 48 wins in 62 starts.  With his importance to the Philadelphia roster, it is this writer's opinion that he should also be in consideration for MVP honors.  It's difficult to imagine where the Reapers would be without Lovstrom's stellar play and he may well be the difference between winning the Founder's Cup or a disappointing first round exit.  

Lining up against the Reapers, Saskatoon actually compares favorably on paper-- in fact, if Saskatoon had retained Annie Oaks, Forum Content, and UghSike at the trade deadline, they would probably line up as the favorite in terms of team composition.  Even with the departure of these players, Saskatoon still boasts a forward group that compares to Philadelphia's collection, and I'd be tempted to give Saskatoon the edge on defense with Carson Tripp @Cartripp14 leading the way from the back end. Where Saskatoon falls behind is at the goaltending position.  Austin Goulet III @Tuchy is a fine goalie prospect, but he frankly does not hold a candle to the aforementioned Lovstrom, and if Saskatoon is going to win, Goulet III is going to have to find another level.  

Prediction: Philadelphia comes into the playoffs riding the high of regular season dominance, the impact of this run of form is high player chemistry and team morale and I don't think that evaporates overnight.  Look for Philadelphia to continue their strong play into the postseason, but don't be surprised if the Wild make things interesting.  I predict the  Reapers take the series in 6 games (4-2) and move on to the semifinals.  

(2) Las Vegas Aces vs. (7) Ottawa Lynx

After the stunning acquisition of phenom, Annie Oaks @Noodle Enjoyer, from the Saskatoon Wild at the trade deadline, Las Vegas enters the playoffs with one of the most potent top-6 forward groups in the VHLM.  Oaks, along with Caeser Monterrey @CaptainGatsby, Piston Maicupp @MandyManiac, Elle Aura Ashe @Lynersify, and Stinky @taylorherd are among the most dynamic forwards in the league and are the stuff of nightmare for opposing defenses.  On the back end, Vegas also boasts the league's top scoring defenseman in Bric Sheithaus @Oldhead91.  Vegas also has solid depth throughout the rest of their forward and defense corps and should matchup favorably against almost any opponent in this year's playoffs.  Goaltender Hugo Boss @Dil is a solid option between the pipes, but will need to be on his "A" game (pun very much intended) if the Aces are to make good on their championship aspirations.  Vegas GM, @McLovin, possessed a solid hand in a competitive team this season and decided to play it aggressively, going all-in at the trade deadline to strengthen his forward group and give his team every chance for success. Time will tell if this gamble pays off.

On the other side, Ottawa is lead by the two-headed monster that is Wayne Shotzky @Kenamatic and Ivan Ivanov @KmaddFPS.  The two of them are tied for the league lead in points with 111 in 72 games, with Ivanov scoring a stunning 50 goals and Shotzky not far behind with 48.  To say that the Lynx's success hinges on these two players is a bit of an understatement.  Beyond their big two, Ottawa has Steve French @Seabass and The Phantom of the VHL @Hogan on offense, as well as WWumbo @Fire Tortorella on the back end as their top option.  After these players, Ottawa's depth falls off fairly quickly and their goaltender, Alexander oviechkin jr @penguinb19 leaves something to be desired in goal.  With another season of development, the rest of this roster will likely round into contending form, but at the moment it is difficult to see how Ottawa wins this series if Ivanov and Shotzky are kept at bay.  

Prediction: Vegas' scoring depth proves to be too much for Ottawa's defense and goaltending and Vegas powers their way to a decisive series victory in 5 games (4-1). 

(3) Mexico City Kings vs. (6) Miami Marauders

The series between Mexico City and Miami may well be one of the most intriguing in the first round because of how well these two teams compare with one another entering the post-season.  Though Mexico City managed a better record through the regular season, it wasn't by much with 87 points compared to Miami's 81.  The two teams split the season series with an even 4-4 record against one another.  The parity goes deeper as each team scored exactly 23 goals and allowed 23 against, with Miami holding a slight edge in the shots department with 244 to Mexico City's 221.  By all accounts, this is going to be very close series between two evenly matched teams.  

Mexico City has a well balanced group of skaters with notable names such as Trey Daniels @Tdan04, Loona Buckzo @WildfireMicro, and French Fries @solyom leading the way up front, and Free Gorlab @eaglesfan036 and Chuck E Cheese @a_Ferk their head honchos on defense.  In goal, Aleksanteri Kaskiniemi-Kekkonen @Snussu is among the top goalies in the VHLM and should give Mexico a shot to win every night.  It is hard to find holes in the Mexico roster, but if one had to be named it would be their depth outside of their top three forwards and top two defensemen.  They'll be relying on big performances from players deeper in the roster if they hope to make a long run in these playoffs.  Their regular season record shows that they are capable of such performances, but consistency will be the key to their playoff success.

Miami, not unlike Mexico City, also boasts a well balanced roster.  They do seem to have an advantage in the forward department with deadline acquisitions Forum Content @frescoelmo and UghSike @UghSike bolstering an already strong corps featuring Matthew Highmore @NineIQ v2, Joe Shmo @matt sovick, and Vanuza Kolesinska @chikn.  On paper, their defense also seems to matchup favorably against Mexico City with Pierre Ennis @DeciBell4 and Gul Dukat @MSouthworth being their big two, while Bilbo Teebaggins @SackButter has had a strong showing this season as well.  The one possible area of weakness for Miami might be in goal with Shaunca @shaun1979 having an inconsistent season at best.  If he can find his game and peak at the right time, the Marauders have the tools to beat Mexico City, but it's a lot of pressure to put on a young goalie and the jury is still out on whether he has what it takes to lead the way.  

Prediction: There is so little between these two teams so it's difficult to see how this series doesn't go the distance.  I'm going to hedge my bets with Shaunca and Miami's depth and say that the Marauders edge the series in 7 (4-3).  

(4) San Diego Marlins vs. (5) Houston Bulls

In a first round full of intrigue, this series between the Marlins and the Bulls might have the most eyes on it.  San Diego features one of the strongest forward groups in the league while Houston owns the distinction of being the leagues most improved team, growing from a group of green rookies into a legitimate championship level team over the course of the 72 games season.  The Marlins owned the Bulls in the season series, winning 6 out of 8 games between the two sides, but it should be mentioned that a good number of these games were played earlier in the season and the Houston roster has changed quite a bit since then.  The Bulls have bounced back with wins later in the season, proving that they can beat San Diego and adding to the intrigue surrounding this series.

The Marlins, like Las Vegas, ice a lethal top-6 forward group.  Dietrich Reingaard @JigglyGumballs, Gianfranco Del Rocco @Victor, Jean-Pierre Devote @eagle_3450, Wayne Gretzky @MubbleFubbles, and Dwight schcrute @Jamomayo (a former Houston Bull) make up the Marlins top five players, and could all be top line players on any team in the VHLM.  Maverick Goncalves @leandrofg is also a strong player who provides excellent depth for San Diego, however there is a fairly steep drop-off beyond him.  If you asked the Marlins, they'd probably tell you that they are as deep as they need to be, allowing their top players to play more minutes instead of having lower roster players eat up time, but it remains to be seen whether this strategy will hold up over a 7 game series.  On defense, San Diego is strong and actually boasts decent quality through all 6 of their defensemen.  Dustin Moore @Maxx leads the way as their top defender, but Jillian Woods @jacobcarson877 is a strong up-and-comer that the Marlins will also be leaning on in these playoffs.  Finally, at goaltending, Samuel Wazinski @samthemancub has had a stellar season with a .904%, 2.91 GAA, and 35 wins in 64 starts.  Some scouts would argue that he's probably been the beneficiary of a good team defense in front of him, but he certainly has shown the capacity to deliver the quality performances when called upon.  

The Houston Bulls are probably the deepest team in the VHLM.  GM @AJW (who is expected to be a GM of the year candidate) has done an exceptional job of scouting new talent and building an environment in which these young players can grow and ultimately flourish.  The team he has built is strong all the way through the lineup with 4 lines, 3 defensive pairings, and 2 quality goaltenders that can be rolled out at any time.  In the forward group, captain Trimiskez Artav @jake led the way this season with 43 goals and 45 assists for 88 points.  Joining him at the top of the depth chart are trade deadline acquisition, Antonia Bucatini @CowboyinAmerica, Chris Reynolds Jr. @Crstats23, Barry McOckiner @LanerDUST, Nathan Ecker @Nathan_8, and Tyler Lawson @Nyx.  Quality depth options Murray Connolly @Blakemac22, Filip Zinek @FiZi, and Jack Dickens @Mystery_boy98 complete the top 3 lines for the Bulls.  The Bulls' 4th line is home to one of the leagues most infectious leaders, Miner VHLer @Rhynex Entertainment, affectionately known in the Houston Locker-room as "SuperBot".  Micah Cederbaum @MicahC and Dylan Boland @shadowbloxgame round out the forward corps, both having solid campaigns for the Bulls in minor roles.  The Bulls are among the league's strongest on defense with Benjamin Abenduct @Schnee at the top of the chart with 81 points in 68 games. Frequent defense partner, Lucy Leitner @LucyXpher, has also had a strong showing this season for the Bulls, as well as one of the league's most physical players in Cody Toland @ctoland102.  Bufert T Smustice @Crummer77, Toby Cook @KRZY, and Charles Losfeld @losfail round out the defense. The Bulls also boast what is possibly the best backup goaltender in the VHLM in Herald Benson @Benson. Starting goalie, Ondra Vencko @Mutti, should see the majority of starts in the playoffs, but should he falter, Benson is more than capable of shoring up the net.  I've spoken to scouts about Vencko and I've learned that he's made some adjustments in his game recently that have really unlocked some of his potential.  His recent starts have reflected this and, lately, he's been well above his season average of .892%.  He could be a bit of a sleeper, I'm told, when it comes to playoff MVP candidates, provided the Bulls go far.  

Prediction: Those who have followed my writing throughout the season should know that I cover the Bulls regularily.  Despite that, I want to give San Diego some love.  I believe their top-6 forwards certainly have what it takes push Houston to the limit, but they'll be up against strong competition on the Bulls' blueline.  It's a close series in every respect and I'd be shocked to see one team or the other run away with it.  I'm still going with the Bulls, but I think it's going to take 7 games (4-3) with an overtime winner to decide it. 

---

And so it begins: The playoffs kick off tonight and I, for one, cannot wait to see how the VHLM shakes out.  I'll be following these story lines through each round and updating you on the series so stay tuned for more! If you have any comments or disagree with one of my predictions, feel free to tell me! 

Lauren Lambert for VHL.com

Claim for 11/25/24 (2651 words)

Edited by LucyXpher

33 minutes ago, LucyXpher said:

Maverick Goncalves @leandrofg is also a strong player who rounds out the top two lines for San Diego

just gonna let you know Goncalves is not on the 2nd line

33 minutes ago, LucyXpher said:

I'm still going with the Bulls, but I think it's going to take 7 games (4-3) with an overtime winner to decide it

EVERY SINGLE FU***NG PERSON DONT BELIEVE IN THE MARLINS. Just cause I in my first ever season as a GM doesnt mean I aint stupid. Series will go to 7 it will just be a battle between San Diego Forwards and Houston Defenders

14 minutes ago, Mysterious_Fish said:

just gonna let you know Goncalves is not on the 2nd line

EVERY SINGLE FU***NG PERSON DONT BELIEVE IN THE MARLINS. Just cause I in my first ever season as a GM doesnt mean I aint stupid. Series will go to 7 it will just be a battle between San Diego Forwards and Houston Defenders

Noted on Goncalves, thanks!  

As for not believing in the Marlins, I just believe more in the Bulls lol, how could I not?  :P

19 minutes ago, Hogan said:

4-1 is absurd. Ottawa is about to step up our game in the playoffs

I'm here for it! I meant no disrespect lol, best of luck to y'all!

2 minutes ago, LucyXpher said:

Lol, what's the saying...mess with the bull, get the horns?   For me, I think I fancy some fried fish!  Best of luck to you!

Im not a big fan of seafood but this fish would be a massive catch

1 hour ago, LucyXpher said:

Noted on Goncalves, thanks!  

As for not believing in the Marlins, I just believe more in the Bulls lol, how could I not?  :P

Cause you could believe in a first time GM cause you are a First Gen