New York Americans Press Conference Questions

STZ

I hope I'm allowed to do this as an American boi now...

1. NY is set to pick at #4, what do you want to see come from this pick?

I've heard our pick is a guy named Hugh Jass. Hopefully he can bring solid offence from the blueline while also being effective at the other end, cuz what's the point of taking a dman that high otherwise?

2. Who's the most exciting prospect in this draft?

Jass. Partially because I'm too disconnected to know anyone else, partially because I'm biased, mostly because you can't sleep on a man named Hugh Jass.

3. How have you spent your offseason so far?

Getting back into the rhythm of training and preparing for a call-up right after celebrating winning a cup in juniors. Busy and eventful summer for sure.

4. After a disappointing finish last year, what do you expect to see from us this year?

Disappointing for you guys maybe ;) lmao but on a real note I wanna see us make the playoffs no exception. The two Gutzwilers are gonna come up ready to help right the ship.

5. Any hot takes for the upcoming season?

Gutzwiler brothers compete for best rookie award, with Gabriel taking it, showing the two weren't just flukes with their massive juniors success.

6. NYA Longest Drive Competition, who wins?

Definitely not me. Not losing at all last season made my golf a bit rusty, bet you guys would be much more prepared for a team competition than me (not making many friends early am I...)

1. NY is set to pick at #4, what do you want to see come from this pick?

2. Who's the most exciting prospect in this draft?

3. How have you spent your offseason so far?

4. After a disappointing finish last year, what do you expect to see from us this year?

5. Any hot takes for the upcoming season?

6. NYA Longest Drive Competition, who wins?

1. Love that we got Flash. Excited to skate with him.

2. Last name Jass, first name Hugh.

3. Canned spam. Lots of canned spam.

4. Exploding fireworks.

5. New York Americans are going to the finals.

6. Prob either Bird Dad or Bird Son since they can drive from the sky.

More press

1) The VHL Offseason coupled with a global pandemic has spawned a multitude of game threads recently, ranging from Town of Salem to MMA. Which, if any, is most interesting to you?

2) In recent tradition the VHL Heavyweight Belt will be back in contention on Wednesday when the season kicks off again. Do any of the Americans grab it, and if so, who?

3) Being locked in is a good a time as any to experiment in the kitchen, what dish have you always wanted to try and make yourself?

4) In that same vein, which player is the best cook on our roster?

5) How have you been killing the time lately?

6) With the Gutzweiler brothers coming up, which NHL (active or historic) brothers most closely represent them?

1) The VHL Offseason coupled with a global pandemic has spawned a multitude of game threads recently, ranging from Town of Salem to MMA. Which, if any, is most interesting to you?

None! Just give me hockey! Offseason has been looooong

2) In recent tradition the VHL Heavyweight Belt will be back in contention on Wednesday when the season kicks off again. Do any of the Americans grab it, and if so, who?

Boris? Seems like the name of a heavyweight champ kinda guy. I don’t even know what it’s for. Fighting?

3) Being locked in is a good a time as any to experiment in the kitchen, what dish have you always wanted to try and make yourself?

Made a mean PB and Cheez Whiz sandwich the other day 

its definitely not me! Lance maybe.

Bit of PS4, lots of being quarantined with my girlfriend. Send help

6) With the Gutzweiler brothers coming up, which NHL (active or historic) brothers most closely represent them?

Brent and Wayne???

MMA, that shit's gonna be lit fam.

Boris is gonna take it and hold it down.

I've been craving spaghettios for a bit if that's what you mean.

A Red Guy is an amazing chef, but humans can't handle his food.

Hell's Kitchen marathons.

The only brothers I know off the top of my head are the Sedins, so I'll say them.

1) The VHL Offseason coupled with a global pandemic has spawned a multitude of game threads recently, ranging from Town of Salem to MMA. Which, if any, is most interesting to you?

I love Town of Salem, but I'm an incredibly bad liar and tend to just freeze up if I get cornered as one of the baddies lmao.

I have zero clue what that means, but definitely my man @DaftRaincloud could destroy anyone assuming its related to fighting. He's a Chad of the highest order.

I really wanna try making myself a pie of some sort. I wouldn't consider myself the worst cook but I've never really done a big cooking project by myself before.

4) In that same vein, which player is the best cook on our roster?

I don't know man I just got called up lmao, but I could probably guarantee it isn't Esso...

A lot of being more active on my sim leagues, but playing a bunch of games with friends too. Gotta take in as much of the hermit life as I can before finding a post-quarantine job.

That's me! Yeah I mean after destroying the juniors en route to a cup win last season, is there any right answer besides the Sedins?

I'm boring and unengaged. So with that said, Town of Salem because knowing zero about it, I just like witches.

I mean, let's put it this way: Who has probably the most penalty minutes over the past three seasons and is insanely large? That's right, this guy.

It's all about the baked goods over here. Have you ever tried to make your own puff pastries? It ain't easy, but when you get it done, it's so good.

Hugh Jass says it's me, and while I definitely 100% without a doubt don't agree, I'll also say it's me.

Just getting by with podcasts, books and video games. Life's a bit crazy right now, so if you can't disconnect a bit, you'll go insane.

Everybody else says the Sedins, and that makes sense to me. But going off the board - the Mannings of the NFL would work too. Roughly same position, lots of talent, but one may ultimately come out more talented. I'm just not sure which that would be yet.

I can't say I have participated much personally but it's nice to see community games happening. Werewolf like games like Town of Salem are always fun. 

Moscow probably has a decent change to repeat but I think New York can challenge with an improved roster.

Nothing too fancy but recently made a nice stir fry with peri peri chicken.

I feel like Yamazuki could probably whip up some fine Japanese cusine which I'm rather partial to. 

Work had been rather busy but weekends have been mostly gaming and watching shows. 

Hopefully they can play like the Sedin twins, though they will probably shoot more than them!

On 3/22/2020 at 3:39 PM, ColeMrtz said:

More press

1) I don't know what these are. So I guess they are equally (un)interesting to ?

2) Nolan built to fight. He doesn't seem to like doing it much though. Maybe this year is the year.

3) Doing lot's of homemade breads, bagels, pretzels, doughnuts... A crap ton of carbs but it's keeping us going.

4) I'm told Chef Foreskin whips up a mean …. something. Not sure I want to know.

5) Still working, training. Getting ready for season to start.

6) Brothers on same team are rare, let alone the same line so Sedin's make sense. Excited to see what they bring.

On 3/22/2020 at 12:39 PM, ColeMrtz said:

More press

1. Love Town of Salem, def that. Would have signed up if I had more time.

2. Always bet on the @CowboyinAmerica

3. Home made pho would be fun to try.

4. I wouldn't recommend the Chef Foreskin special. It's too salty.

5. Gardening. Planting fruits and veggies.

6. The Hanson Brothers from "Slap Shot"

Press

1. Almost as though it's tradition, we're off to a rather lack luster start. Are we just struggling to get our feet under ourselves or is this a more serious underlying issue?

2. Elmebeck, Foreskin and Nolan lead the way for our team with 8 points a piece, what about their game makes them so lethal?

3. Flowers and Forest have been gooning it up with an average of 3.2 PIMs a game, do you attribute this to intensity or just general lack of disipline?

4. All of our rookies have tallied their first VHL points this week, do any of them take a run at ROTY?

5. A Red Guy leads all goalies in shots against by a 50 shot margin, did he hurt somebody in the lockeroom to earn the ire of our defense?

6. Any bold early predictions for the season? (Have I even done press if I don't ask this at least once a season?)

1. Almost as though it's tradition, we're off to a rather lack luster start. Are we just struggling to get our feet under ourselves or is this a more serious underlying issue?

Little bit of both. Top guys getting really unlucky (as usual), but also fielding a less talented team than last year. No doubt that we will stay relevant and at least compete for a playoff spot.

2. Elmebeck, Foreskin and Nolan lead the way for our team with 8 points a piece, what about their game makes them so lethal?

Elmebeck very disciplined and smart with the puck. Foreskin and Nolan seem to have some good chemistry that goes back to S69.

3. Flowers and Forest have been gooning it up with an average of 3.2 PIMs a game, do you attribute this to intensity or just general lack of disipline?

Pure goon-ery. I'm sure I will join them soon enough.

4. All of our rookies have tallied their first VHL points this week, do any of them take a run at ROTY?

Hugh Jass stands the best chance. The Gutzweilers are fun to play with, but hard to get top numbers without playing top minutes with top guys.

5. A Red Guy leads all goalies in shots against by a 50 shot margin, did he hurt somebody in the lockeroom to earn the ire of our defense?

Glad I drafted him in fantasy. Saves > wins. He's a stud though, and kinda sad we are a mess in front of him.

6. Any bold early predictions for the season? (Have I even done press if I don't ask this at least once a season?)

D.C will miss playoffs (after completely owning us through first part of this season). They are talented, but overperforming a bit. I expect Calgary, Seattle, Vancouver to duke it out for top spots, and D.C and us to duke it out for final spot. Being boldly optimistic

It has to be an underlying issue at this point, right? This is multiple straight years of not being able to figure out the lines to starting the season, and I don't know what the fix is.

After a couple of seasons of playing together, I think you get some chemistry going after a while. I'm glad it's started early.

At least for Flowers, this is just part of my game. I'm a hitter; that's what I do. Sure I'd like to see this go down, but I'm not ramping down the intensity.

There's two rookies with 10 points so far, so I'm going to say no. With that said though, I'm happy to see them all get a few, and hope the production only continues.

This is what makes no sense to me and should be fixed. Our defense is a strength of our team. I have no idea why that's not showing through.

This won't last long, we'll make the playoffs. And when we get there, we'll surprise with at least one series win - mark it down.

Two big wins today. Season is still young! I’ve got faith that we’ll be just fine.

Great to see the guys that are 500-700 tpe are scoring. I think it’ll work out well when guys like Boris start scoring. 

I think it’s apart of their game. I know Lance is a big hitting d man, so that comes with the style of play. Boris is a literal forest. He’s bound to get some interference calls.

I don’t think, unfortunately as I am one of those rookies. I’ve got 4 points in 12 games, and am doing well blocking shots. Playing the game I need to play as new defenseman in this league. My goal when the year started was 30 points, I’m a bit off of that mark. People will really look at point totals for rookie of the year, and I don’t think I’ll be in the 60+ range needed.

We’ve got a really good defence. Hoping this stat is an anomaly due to having only played 12 games. 

Big win streak coming up that will put us in contention for tops in the league come game #72

There probably is a bit of bad luck to this but overall I think the team needs to improve and find some better chemistry to compete with the best. 

All 3 players have developed their offensive game quite a bit and these points are the fruits of their labour!

I unfortunately think it's a bit of lack of discipline. Hopefully they can keep a physical brand of hockey while keeping PIMs down so other teams can't punish us as much on the PP. 

*heavy breathing to get this out*

On 3/29/2020 at 3:38 PM, ColeMrtz said:

Press

1. Some teams just consistently start rough. Better to start that way than to end that way, however.

2. *starts sobbing*

3. A lack of discipline. Many great players are intense but don't take penalties every game. 

4. I like Jass. My fellow DMAN may have it!

5. *starts reading off a piece of paper, ensuring that nothing of the sort happened*

6. NYA Makes a suprise deep playoff run. 

PRASS

1. In a massive 3-way trade we have recently acquired MGS @Motzaburger from Vancouver, how do you feel about his addition to our roster?

2. There's recently been talks about a relocation in the lockeroom, are you for or against this and why?

3. Despite our rather lackluster start Keven Foreskin @Esso2264 is third in the league in goals with 13, only 2 off of league leader Scott Greene at 15. What has his play done for your preformance?

4. In a crowded rookie class our fresh-faced star Hugh Jass @TheFlash is still hitting above his weight class sitting 8th out of all rookies with 10 points. How do you expect him to stack up in the ROTY race?

5. In a category usually dominated more by resident goon Lance Flowers @CowboyinAmerica, our veteran C Boris the Forest @chillzone stands a head above with 90 hits, placing him 5th in the league. How does seeing our captain step up to the plate like this push you to preform better?

6. Are we cursed?

10 hours ago, ColeMrtz said:

PRASS

1. In a massive 3-way trade we have recently acquired MGS @Motzaburger from Vancouver, how do you feel about his addition to our roster?

2. There's recently been talks about a relocation in the lockeroom, are you for or against this and why?

3. Despite our rather lackluster start Keven Foreskin @Esso2264 is third in the league in goals with 13, only 2 off of league leader Scott Greene at 15. What has his play done for your preformance?

4. In a crowded rookie class our fresh-faced star Hugh Jass @TheFlash is still hitting above his weight class sitting 8th out of all rookies with 10 points. How do you expect him to stack up in the ROTY race?

5. In a category usually dominated more by resident goon Lance Flowers @CowboyinAmerica, our veteran C Boris the Forest @chillzone stands a head above with 90 hits, placing him 5th in the league. How does seeing our captain step up to the plate like this push you to preform better?

6. Are we cursed?

1. Excited to team up with MGS! #CartelForever 

2. My heart's in New York. Just rebrand but stay in the city imho. 

3. I don't care about personal stats right now, just trying to get dubs.

4. Hugh Jass #1 with a bullet.

5. Gotta take my anger for losing out somewhere. 

6. Yes, cursed by dementors and poltergeists and voodoo dolls. Someone light some sage and send some posivibes.

1. In a massive 3-way trade we have recently acquired MGS @Motzaburger from Vancouver, how do you feel about his addition to our roster?

It's a good move to bring in the highest TPA defenseman in the league. Moving the picks that we did could hurt in the future but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Absolutely against. New York is a VHL staple.

3. Despite our rather lackluster start Keven Foreskin @Esso2264 is third in the league in goals with 13, only 2 off of league leader Scott Greene at 15. What has his play done for your preformance?

It's saved me some losses, but he needs to save me a few more.

4. In a crowded rookie class our fresh-faced star Hugh Jass @TheFlash is still hitting above his weight class sitting 8th out of all rookies with 10 points. How do you expect him to stack up in the ROTY race?

Hugh's a beaut, his start has been great and I hope to see him among the top rookies at the end of the year.

5. In a category usually dominated more by resident goon Lance Flowers @CowboyinAmerica, our veteran C Boris the Forest @chillzone stands a head above with 90 hits, placing him 5th in the league. How does seeing our captain step up to the plate like this push you to preform better?

It helps a lot, especially since I have him in fantasy.

6. Are we cursed?

It feels like it, but curse-busting is fun.

1. In a massive 3-way trade we have recently acquired MGS from Vancouver, how do you feel about his addition to our roster?

It's spectacular, I love having around not only his talent, but the upbeat vibe he brings to the locker room as well.

I've been staying silent in the LR, but I'm heavily, heavily against it. The history of the league is a big part of the enjoyment of the VHL for me, and I think it cheapens it by having core teams move around.

3. Despite our rather lackluster start Keven Foreskin is third in the league in goals with 13, only 2 off of league leader Scott Greene at 15. What has his play done for your preformance?

It's nice to see, especially since I think his agency was rather down on Foreskin at the start of the season. We need something to keep us in this race.

4. In a crowded rookie class our fresh-faced star Hugh Jass is still hitting above his weight class sitting 8th out of all rookies with 10 points. How do you expect him to stack up in the ROTY race?

I'm glad he's sticking in there, we all knew he had the talent. I don't think he'll win ROY, but he's showing that he's a large talent in this league for many years to come.

5. In a category usually dominated more by resident goon Lance Flowers, our veteran C Boris the Forest stands a head above with 90 hits, placing him 5th in the league. How does seeing our captain step up to the plate like this push you to preform better?

Man, I wish it was. My play has been a huge disappointment this season, and I just don't know what the answer is.

6. Are we cursed?

Nope. Just all infected by COVID-19 like the rest of New York is.

1. In a massive 3-way trade we have recently acquired MGS from Vancouver, how do you feel about his addition to our roster?

Great LR guy plus a stud player. Love acquiring him and I hope he can help right this ship 

As long as we use that owl logo ?

3. Despite our rather lackluster start Keven Foreskin is third in the league in goals with 13, only 2 off of league leader Scott Greene at 15. What has his play done for your preformance?

Most improved imo. Down year last year and looks on pace to score 60+ points

4. In a crowded rookie class our fresh-faced star Hugh Jass is still hitting above his weight class sitting 8th out of all rookies with 10 points. How do you expect him to stack up in the ROTY race?

It’s all about the points unfortunately so I don’t think I’ll win, but glad to see I scored one yesterday lol. Hope I can keep blocking shots and having an impact

5. In a category usually dominated more by resident goon Lance Flowers, our veteran C Boris the Forest stands a head above with 90 hits, placing him 5th in the league. How does seeing our captain step up to the plate like this push you to preform better?

Love it! A man named the Forest has to throw his weight around. 

6. Are we cursed?

F Simon T

PRASS

1. In a massive 3-way trade we have recently acquired MGS @Motzaburger from Vancouver, how do you feel about his addition to our roster?

Always nice to add a new member to the team that can help us out!

The Americans have been in the league for a long time and have a ton of history so I personally probably wouldn't be a huge fan for relocation. 

3. Despite our rather lackluster start Keven Foreskin @Esso2264 is third in the league in goals with 13, only 2 off of league leader Scott Greene at 15. What has his play done for your preformance?

Nice to see Keven having a breakout season, hopefully he can keep it up and others can also help out with scoring. 

On 4/5/2020 at 1:24 PM, ColeMrtz said:

PRASS

6. Are we cursed?

1) Thought it was a good trade. We all thought we'd be contending...

2) Strongly against. Our logo is best in the league.

3) Drafted him in VHFL for S70 and he sucked, now he's great lol. Think he's always been one of our best players.

4) Talent is there but he plays for NY so ...

5) Makes us a very physical team that takes lots of penalties but harder to play against when at even strength

6) Unlucky but not cursed. 

New Q’s cause our AGM has a life (how dare he btw)

1) We’re at the half way mark of the season, what’re your thoughts on the season so far?

2) Did you have any personal goals for the season? If so, are you on track?

3) How is your player dealing with the quarantine? 

4) What does this team need to do if we want to make a push for the playoffs?

5) Who is your mid season MVP for our team and why?

6) Give a prediction for our final half of the season. Overall team record and your personal statistics! (34 games left at the time of writing these)

1) We’re at the half way mark of the season, what’re your thoughts on the season so far?

- Well, I certainly thought we'd be doing a lot better than we have been. I don't know what STHS god we pissed off, but hope he gets bored soon.

2) Did you have any personal goals for the season? If so, are you on track?

- I thought I'd have a chance to be up there in defenseman points, and while I'm not too far outside the Top 10, I thought it'd be a lot better.

3) How is your player dealing with the quarantine? 

- Better than I thought I'd be. Still feeling healthy for one, and since I've made a ton of cash off this new contract, I don't have to be in NYC any more.

4) What does this team need to do if we want to make a push for the playoffs?

- That's the million dollar question, isn't it? I think it depends a lot on Toronto, D.C. and the like at this point too - we're not going anywhere without a lot of help.

5) Who is your mid season MVP for our team and why?

- Keven Foreskin has been surprisingly strong, carrying a lot of offense. Even if everyone else isn't playing well, it's nice to see him get some shine.

6) Give a prediction for our final half of the season. Overall team record and your personal statistics! (34 games left at the time of writing these)

I'll say we pick up 40 points over the rest of the season - a better pace than we've been on, but still not enough to make the playoffs. I'm shooting for 60 points at the end of the season and think I can get there.

Thanks for writing @TheFlash, the questions are great.