Yukon Rush Press Conference

Smarch

1) Where do you see the Rush ending up this year and why?

Is there any other answer other than a championship? Of course, only one team in 11 are actually going to get there, so the odds are naturally stacked against it. But if I didn't believe that we're getting one, then what are we even doing here?

2) What are your first impressions of Yukon?

I feel like "cold" is too easy of an answer. I'll say more rabid than I expected. When you think of the Yukon Territory, you think of wide spaces and not that many people. But people here do love their hockey, and on a team with a lot of history, they've certainly bought in.

3) Which team do you see having the biggest rivalry with? And player in specific?

I'm sure the Reapers are a bunch of nice guys, and Condor Adrienne is always a delight. But come on - the defending champs that we want to take down, and him playing the same position and fighting for a top draft spot. It's only natural, right?

4) Is there a player you model your game after?

I'd have to say that it's modeled after the prime version of Duncan Keith - somebody who isn't going to be the top star on a team, but is an absolutely essential cog to keeping everything together, and can do some nifty things passing and checking as well

5) If you have been drafted in the VHL, are you happy with how it went? If you haven't, where do you expect to go in next season's draft?

It might seem a bit arrogant to say that I'll go in the lottery, but I mean, it's where the TPE is landing currently. My agency has had players go 1 (McAllister), 2 (Olsen) and 3 (Wingate), so I'll say going 4th seems to have some nice symmetry.

6) What has to happen for you to consider this season a success? As a team or personally.

The answers are one in the same - winning as much as possible, a championship if we can. Sure, it'd be nice to wrack up some assists, but that's not what this is all about. The championship trophy, that's the ultimate goal.

1) The Rush will be highly competitive because we have a good offense and solid defense. 

2) I played 35 games with them last year and despite our record I really enjoyed Josh and my teammates. 

3) Rivals might be Halifax and I would just say the player “ Dick Rash” ( cuz I just wanted to say that out loud?)

4) I would model my game after Ryan O’Reilly and Gary Sabourin 

5) I was drafted by Vancouver Wolves and I’m very happy being a prospect for Sir Beavis he’s a good dude. 

(I was drafted 36th overall (in VHL & VHLM)

6) I will consider the season a success if we make the playoffs. Individually I would like more playing time to prove that I’m a true leader and team player. 

I would like to see us go really far, my goal is to bring a cup home, and i feel like we have a good team to give us a chance at the playoffs, but one step at a time.

I think we have an average team that could become really good with good active players.

3) Which team do you see having the biggest rivalry with? And player in specific?

Any team thats not my own, we are at war with every single team, we will win.

I model after Mitch Marner from the Toronto Maple Leafs, I find how i play hockey personally is very similar to his play making abilities. 

5) If you have been drafted in the VHL, are you happy with how it went? If you haven't, where do you expect to go in next season's draft?

Yes i am just very proud to be a drafted player, i feel more wanted in this community. 

6) What has to happen for you to consider this season a success? As a team or personally.

Being on the first line sounds pretty nice, a good step up.

On 2/20/2018 at 11:27 AM, Smarch said:

1. What do you hope to accomplish this year with the Rush?

2. Who would scouts compare you to in another hockey league?

3. Out of the 8 VHL teams, who would you like to be drafted by if you haven't been draft yet?

4. If you have been drafted into the VHL already, what player on your draft team are you looking forward to most?

5. What type of player should we expect to see from you this season, and moving forward in your VHL career?

@bukss_a @Trifecta @Sixersfan549 @HellBillyXIII @Arthur @FacePuncher @RadulovsFirstBeer @Harry F'n Hans @TheWhite44Mamba @haffiedq @Boomcheck 

1. I want to be a scoring role in the top 6, and improve on my defensive side to increase my value.

2. Johnny Gaudreau/Nikita Kucherov

3. I want to join the team that needs me. I want to take on the responsibility of helping a franchise to success.

4. N/A

5. I would hope to see the scoring forward I can be, but keep improving upon my game and adapt. I want to improve my game because I know there are some doubters in my defensive game. 

Questions for Rush:

1. Is Yukon a competitive team, and if so where should we be prepared to see them in the rankings?

2. What player stands out the most to you in terms of improvement?

3. Where does the team stand on offensive/defensive strategy? Is one more important than the other?

4. Who is this team's next VHL designated player?

5. Where does Yukon need improvement?

1. Is Yukon a competitive team, and if so where should we be prepared to see them in the rankings?

I believe Yukon is going to be very competitive and we’re going for number 1

2. What player stands out the most to you in terms of improvement?

Erik Draven just cuz I have been racking up the TPE the last two weeks. 

3. Where does the team stand on offensive/defensive strategy? Is one more important than the other?

I think we will get those answers when we start our season. 

not sure who that would be. 

Basically we all just need to consistently up our TPE and make our players better. 

1. Is Yukon a competitive team, and if so where should we be prepared to see them in the rankings?

For sure. The team is loaded with good, active young players and anything short of a top 3 regular season finish would be a disappointment.

In the early goings, players like Frans Eller, Brendan Plunkett and Wolf Stansson Jr. have really come along to blow past their level of play last season. Those three have really stepped it up so far but the roster has so many players working hard to develop that this list could be three times as long by midseason.

Lance Flowers looks destined to be VHL's next great defensive defenseman in the mold of Ryan Sullivan Jr. He'll be drafted very highly and is certain to go straight to the pros next season.

• Quik unpinned this topic

Probably back in Yukon, where we're based. Who knows where I'll end up though. 

Do you really want me to answer this? 

Philadelphia because Blade didn't actually draft me and they think they're sooooooo much better than everyone else. 

There's only one Frans Eller, baby. 

I haven't been, so this is redundant. 

If we have fun, that's all that matters. 

1. Is Yukon a competitive team, and if so where should we be prepared to see them in the rankings?

I believe Yukon is going to be very competitive and we’re going for number 1

2. What player stands out the most to you in terms of improvement?

Erik Draven just cuz I have been racking up the TPE the last two weeks. 

I think we will get those answers when we start our season. 

not sure who that would be. 

Basically we all just need to consistently up our TPE and make our players better. 

We are aiming to become #1. We have some competition from Philadelphia and Minnesota, my old team, but I am fully confident in our abilities to play outstanding hockey together as a team and claim a very high seed, if not the first. Our first line is killer... we have A Red Guy manning the posts, we have an outstanding GM/AGM that are actively involved in our success. I don't see what could go wrong here unless the management decides to have a fire sale for no apparent reason. 

Yukon... reminds me of home. Geographically, we are very close in terms of how far up North on the Mother Earth. So you can imagine I was very pleasantly surprised when I came here. It's a nice feeling. I've actually made friends with a polar bear who keeps raiding our community's garbage cans. He's a sweet fella who just happens to be hungry. 

Teams that are up in the standings, that is going to be our biggest competition. We are going to want to take them out when we match up, and they are going to want to do the same against us. It should be a fun, competitive season. Players, I do not really care for creating rivalries with anybody because I know I am better than them. I am capable of outplaying them, so I would prefer to allow my play and my size do the talking. If you want to mess with me, you're going to get the whole package - enough said. 

Not really. I am focusing on what I would like to accomplish and that's to become of the finest D-Man in the VHL. I do not need to be copycatting anybody in order to improve my game - I will allow my game to naturally improvise and me rolling along with my play. Figuring out what areas to grow/improve with each passing box score.

I will be going into the S68 VHL Draft. I do not know where I will end up, but I don't think I really have any preference anyway. Or any unfavorable teams if that makes sense. Again, the more geographically North the team is, the more content I will be off the rink. I am also seeking out ample playing time from the get-go so that I can naturally contribute and improve my game as we go along. We'll see how things pan out. 

The team must win a VHLM championship and make history. If we can do that, then we will view this season as a success. Anything other than that would be a disappointment. I just hope to continue my recent play because it feels like I've been doing a lot of things right. I just have to keep on improving and working in order to continue to stay one step ahead of everybody else. 

Questions for Rush:

Based on the start of the season, it just confirmed that Yukon will be a contender. We knew.

I think Draven has been amazing, on and off the stat sheet. He does the little things that help the team win, and thats why we need him.

I think what we have now is what we need. 

I don't think this matters in the midst of the season. I want to win, and so do my teammates. 

I believe some depth in the forward positions could help the team.

Edited by sjs88speed

First place obviously. Honestly I think we got a good squad going this year and we just have some good chemistry playing with one another.

Well I knew Whitehorse wasn't very big, but I never thought the town was actually this small. 25000 people live here, that has to be some sort of VHL/VHLM record right there

for smallest town to support a team. Other than that it's cold as f*ck but my teammates have been good to me. I like the lockeroom atmosphere and I think we can go far.

Well everyone is always out for the top team and that's Minnesota right now, so if any storm players out there reading this, we're comming to get you. Personally though after

last night the Houston Bulls and I want to deliver a few more big hits on Chase Kelley just cus *chuckles*

I'd have to say I model my game more after Byfuglien where i plan to play a physical brand of hockey and use my size to clear bodies out of the crease.

Well I know I wont go in the first round but I dont think being a 3rd round selection is out of reach. 

As a team it's winning the title of champions at the end of the season, as should be the goal for any other team out there. Personally though for this season to be a success for me I'll have to end the season not in the negatives when it comes to +/- which I currently am.

Yukon is absolutely a competitive team, but we've still got some room to build. Our team is filled with S68 players, who hopefully will be up near 200 TPE by the time the playoffs roll around. I figure Yukon will be a 3-4 seed, but win it all when they get there.

A Red Guy has struggled in a few games so far, but he just joined right before the season started. Even in that small time he's grown so much, and I only see him getting more consistent from here.

It's interesting - the team has so much defensive talent, arguably more than any other team. But I do think it's equal between the two, which should serve us well in the playoffs.

People are sleeping on Frans Eller. I think there's a distinct possibility that he's the first pick in the draft next season because of his combination of work ethic, skill, and the position he plays. Don't be surprised if he makes multiple all-star teams, and quickly.

It's just time. We're young, and we'll get there. But until the team gets a few more games and practices in, there's going to be some consistency issues.

6. What has to happen for you to consider this season a success? As a team or personally.

It's all about the titles. If the zero goals in 14 games didn't give it away, I'm not about that scoring life. It's much better for me if we win as a team, and I'm excited for the possibility.

• Commissioner

1) Is there a player on the team that you think deserves more recognition for their contributions? Reference: https://vhlforum.com/topic/66393-yukon-rush-week-1-stars/

2) Based on the games so far, where do you think Yukon will end up in the standings at the end of the season?

3) What teams do you see in the top 3 of the VHL standings and why?

4) If the VHL does expand as some people expect, where would you like to see a new team?

5) How do you see the couple of upcoming games against Minnesota going? If they've already happened; review them against your expectations.

6) GM/AGM feedback: Is there anything we aren't doing that you'd like to see?

Edited by Josh

1) Is there a player on the team that you think deserves more recognition for their contributions? Reference: https://vhlforum.com/topic/66393-yukon-rush-week-1-stars/

I think Willie Dredge and Seabass Perrin have stood out so far. Dredge has given the team solid efficiency while Perrin's making good contributions defensively. They just need to get their +/- up. Erik Draven has played really well on the forecheck as well.

2) Based on the games so far, where do you think Yukon will end up in the standings at the end of the season?

I think we're going to improve and finish top 3 when all is said and done. We have a lot of young improving players to eventually meet our stars' level of play in the second half of the season.

4) If the VHL does expand as some people expect, where would you like to see a new team?

Boston and Chicago stand out as good options for the next North American teams. In Europe I'd love to see a Polish team, although I can definitely see the league going back to Germany for the next round (my vote would be Dusseldorf).

1) Is there a player on the team that you think deserves more recognition for their contributions? Reference: https://vhlforum.com/topic/66393-yukon-rush-week-1-stars/

I think Petrovic deserves recognition for his contributions. 

Yukon will end up between 1st-3rd place. 

3) What teams do you see in the top 3 of the VHL standings and why?

Toronto,Helsinki,& Moscow because they are strong teams and very consistent. 

I would like to see a VHL team in the Midwest. 

5) How do you see the couple of upcoming games against Minnesota going? If they've already happened; review them against your expectations.

I think Yukon will play much better games considering their lines have changed and Draven is on the 2nd line. Chemistry is getting better for the entire team. 

No both are doing a very good job. 

Plunkett has been absolutely on fire but he's already got some recognition so I'll have to say Flowers deserves more recognition as he's just been great for us. He brings a certain calmness to the back end and just having him in our lineup is critical. Hes been creating a lot of space and shutting down a lot of chances, we'd be hurting without him.

So far it look like we're going to be a bubble team but it's hard to say because we're just so young, we still got loads of room to improve before season's end.

The Storm, the team has just been unstoppable and contains most of the leagues top 10 scorer,

Philadelphia Reapers, can never count out the defending champs

The Bulls, who I dont believe has played up to their potential but the team is solid.

I love to see a franchise return to Quebec city. 

It's going to be a very challenging series, and we lost our lost game so we're hoping to be exacting some revenge here from the last game. Their currently the top team in the VHLM and we gotta beat those teams to be taken seriously. Our first and only game was a low scoring game with very few shots on net for either teams, so im expecting more of the same

Get us a #2 center!

Justin Rushmore has been a very steady presence. I think he deserves a lot of attention for his hard work. 

I don't know, a lot can change. If we go shopping and add, we could end up top 4. If we leave things as-is, possibly middle of the pack.

Philadelphia because they're just really well rounded and have some lethal talent, Minnesota because they're already up there for a reason, and the 21st because their deep blue line.

Boston. Easily. Sports capital of the world. It's a shame there's no team there.

I'd expect a split. Minnesota is a real strong team, but I think with the new lines we're primed to at least prove to be a worth adversary. 

Nope, I am pleased so far. 

I think Justin Rushmore deserves some recognition for putting forth a good effort.

We will end up in the TOP 5 

Helsinki, Moscow, and Toronto because of their consistent play.

The Midwest would be a nice place for a new team.

5) How do you see a couple of upcoming games against Minnesota going? If they've already happened; review them against your expectations.

Yukon will play them with a better scoring touch because Draven has been sent to the 2nd line and has been a different player at Center position.

No both of you are doing great!

On 7/21/2019 at 8:57 AM, Josh said:

Petrovic has been an offensive spark on the blue line, whilst keeping his +/- from getting too far negative, I'd give that some recognition.

Hard to tell as of now, we need to be more consistent and stop being so streaky.

Toronto and Helsinki have a good core and I think they will stick at 1 and 2, but the 3rd spot is up for grabs by any team.

I'd like to see a team in Colorado.

It will be like any other game. Its up for grabs, but the team has to execute.

I think checking in with the team for their thoughts on changes more often would be beneficial to the team. A lot of smart guys and smarter ideas.

1) Is there a player on the team that you think deserves more recognition for their contributions?

I think it's got to be Petrovic so far. His second-best 11 assists and 22 shots blocked have both been impressive, and he's continued to work out well with the team. I think some VHL team is going to be getting a steal with him.

I've said all along third or fourth, and while Yukon's early season placement would seem to put them lower, I'm not going to deviate from my prediction quite yet. I do think this is a team poised for a late season run, similar to Halifax last year.

The current top 3 of Toronto, Helsinki and Moscow seems reasonable, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Calgary jumped Moscow due to the former's more experience.

Vasteras. I've made my feelings on this well known, it'll never happen, but I do think it's dumb how some automatically dismiss them out of hand when the history of the team (both positive and negative) would make them the single most compelling add you could possibly do.

I suppose it's not reasonable to expect too terribly much, huh? Still, I don't think it's going to be a crush - I think Yukon will take at least 1 point in these next two games against it, be it taking them to OT or otherwise.

Well, this got posted, so that was actually my main point of contention. Otherwise, I think I'm good, just appreciate being a part of the team.

• Commissioner
54 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

Well, this got posted, so that was actually my main point of contention. Otherwise, I think I'm good, just appreciate being a part of the team.

my best crying GIF by Leroy Patterson

• Commissioner
16 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

And you're doing a good job at it! Also, I'm curious why he needs a rubber ducky.

No idea, the gif selection was pretty lackluster tbh. 

On 7/21/2019 at 11:57 AM, Josh said:

1.) Definitely Lance Flowers. I think he should have gotten the third star, not me. His contributions on both ends of the rink has been incredible... his passing is top-notch and it has left me wondering how it got past the defense and right into the net. I look forward to playing alongside him for the reminder of the season.

2.) Yukon is a little down the standings, far more than I expected or would like to. I think our defense has been stellar but our offense leaves a lot to be aspired for. That’s something that we definitely will need to work on going forward. Can’t win games without outscoring the opponenT.

3.) VHL.... I wish I could answer this but I have no idea. I frankly do not pay attention to the bigs  because that is not the league I am playing in. My mind and focus is exclusively on our Rush organization. 

4) Reykjavik would be an outstanding addition to the VHL if we do decide to expand. The fan base IS there and they are devoted to their homegrown talent. Add an international team and I can assure you that the fans would come in droves and our home rink advantage would be enviable. 

5.) I think we can and have to do better against Minnesota. They are one of the top dogs in the VHLM this year. As they are my former team, I have even more of an agenda to do better than them this year. We have some work to do.

6.) More shooting practices - we need to be better able to put the puck into the back of the net, myself included. That is all I would really suggest for our team  this season.