Ottawa Lynx press conference

Available to take any questions; also asking questions of my team, which you can answer for TPE if you choose.

1. What do you think about getting your careers started with the Lynx?

2. Any preliminary opinions on which teams at the VHL level you might eventually want to play for? Any you'd rather avoid? If you don't know, that's fine

3. How are you looking to build your player? Stylistically, and/or players you're modeling after?

4. Long term goals? Cups, HOF, etc?

5. Member-wise: favorite hockey team?

@dea5shot @declanburns @CookieJo @Benm2110 @TWalkerFC @Hoopydog

@street @iRockstar @Beketov @Ahma @DeathOnReddit @eaglesfan036

1. "It's a new ground for me, new start. I'm ready to show Ottawa fans and the VHLM what I'm capable of."

2. HC Davos Dynamo is the only team I'm willing to play for. Davos or nothing.

3. I'm building Alvaro like I built my last player. Passing and defense focused player. Solid option for a teams defense.

4. My goal is to win a cup with Davos. Cup with Davos is the only honor I'm after!

5. Montreal Canadiens. Habs all the way! And in Liiga, Tappara!

It's interesting and I can't wait to get my career started!

2. Any preliminary opinions on which teams at the VHL level you might eventually want to play for? Any you'd rather avoid? If you don't know, that's fine

I'd like to play for Helsinki, or if a British team is created then whoever they are, except Nottingham, Coventry or Derby.

3. How are you looking to build your player? Stylistically, and/or players you're modeling after?

Become a Fan-Favorite (RNH), and get to the VHL eventually, after becoming an Ottowa Legend!

Win the VHLM Cup within 10 seasons? I'd like to be liked by the rest of the team

Is this VHLM or NHL?

VHLM - Ottowa (now)!

NHL - Edmonton Oilers!

1. I'm proud to have been drafted by the Lynx and I'm looking forward to playing for the team

2. I'm not to sure who i want to eventually play for but no matter what team I'm on, I'll be putting in 100%

3. I'm looking to become a fast moving sniper with a slick pair of mitts

4. Every player's dream is to eventually win a cup and I am not different. My main goal is to have fun with my team mates and success is a bonus

5. Tampa Bay lightning have been my team since i was a kid.

1. I am honored to be drafted by the Ottawa Lynx and I can't wait to get my career started.

2. I do not know who I want to play for eventually.

3. I plan to build my player as strong as possible, being a two-way center with a good shot, excellent skating, and unbelievable vision and passing, as well as playing as a two-way center. Kind of like a mix of Toews, Matthews, and MacKinnon. 

4. I would like to win the cup and have fun.

5. Chicago Blackhawks.

It's exciting, getting to start things off with a great VHLM GM. Having briefly played here last season and being familiar with the team, I knew there was a chance I would be selected second overall, and I'm looking forward to proving my worth here.

I don't want to be stuck on a rebuilding team for long, but Davos and Quebec are two teams that interest me if they can make good use of their draft picks over the next couple seasons. I don't really have a strong preference though.

During my time in the VHLM, I plan to work on several aspects of my game. I want a well-rounded base to get my career started. Down the line, defense, checking, and strength are going to be priorities.

Working towards becoming a defensive defenseman, I think it's safe to say I don't really have individual accolades on my mind. Honestly, I'm not shooting too high, so if I could manage to win a single Continental Cup, I'd consider my career a success. At least, that's how I'm seeing it now.

Minnesota Wild. And I'll always pick them to win in the NHL Playoffs Prediction task if they are in the playoffs. Every time.

• Commissioner
On April 11, 2018 at 12:07 AM, diamond_ace said:

Any preliminary opinions on which teams at the VHL level you might eventually want to play for? Any you'd rather avoid?

Preliminary opinion right now is looking like Quebec to be honest. It's the one team that the Beketov agency has never played for (in some regard) and I think what Beaviss is doing with the team seems very promising. Plus being able to play along side Zhields would be fantastic; I think we would really make for a great top pairing.

How are you looking to build your player? Stylistically, and/or players you're modeling after?

Obviously it hasn't worked out exactly as I planned in the past but my build with Thompson is intended to be a sniper build; plain and simple. I'm all about getting the shots and putting as many of them in as I can. I am curious about being a two-way type player though so maybe we'll see if that starts to develop for me as well.

Long term goals? Cups, HOF, etc?

Obviously my last two players have no cups so that's my primary goal right off the top. I've been able to capture the cup with most of my players but I've been struggling lately so getting my name on the Continental Cup is my main goal. Individual awards and the HoF would be amazing as well but the cup is my main focus. Slightly more out there goals would probably be the triple gold club. I have step one done with the founder's cup already and I've never done it so that would be interesting.

• Beketov pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

1. What personal goals do you hope to accomplish once you enter the VHL from Ottawa?

2. Have you built your character style on any other particular hockey player, or is it just a random build?

3. At this point in time do you have aspirations on one day getting voted into the hall of fame?

4. Do you prefer to play an offensive style game, more defensive in play etc?

5. Do you or have you ever played hockey in real life?

On 6/17/2018 at 7:03 PM, Exlaxchronicles said:

1. What personal goals do you hope to accomplish once you enter the VHL from Ottawa?

The best offensive defensemen that the VHL has ever seen.  Or, failing that, at least being a difference-maker on a competitive team.  Definitely don't want to be a 3rd-liner on the league's worst team...

2. Have you built your character style on any other particular hockey player, or is it just a random build?

Brent Burns, for sure.  Would like to jump up into the play, but still hold the fort if need be.  No one likes a defensive liability on the back end.

3. At this point in time do you have aspirations on one day getting voted into the hall of fame?

I haven't heard about the HOF.  Sounds interesting.  I'm going to say--yes!

I've always preferred offense (played LW or C irl) It makes for an exciting game!  But, as a defensemen, I realize I can't forget the defensive side of things...

Played minor hockey in Saskatchewan from 7 to 15.  After that, I played beer-league (rec) level hockey almost every winter after.  Even organized a team here in Manitoba for about 5 seasons.  However once my son started hockey, I've only played pick-up a few times a year.  Hope to move into coaching minor hockey soon.

Any new guys on the team, feel free to answer Exlaxchronicles' questions, and I'll pose a few in here myself - if you answer over the cap of questions for one week, the rest can be used for the following week:

1. Any particular teams at the VHL level you would prefer to be drafted to when the time comes, just from what you know of them now? Any you'd rather avoid?

2. Assuming you watch hockey, which is your favorite NHL team?

3. What other sports do you watch besides hockey, and what's your favorite team from those?

4. What do you think of the league so far?

5. A little off the wall one here - favorite enjoyment activity in real life? VHL excluded, of course.

• Commissioner
On 6/17/2018 at 7:03 PM, Exlaxchronicles said:

It's important to me that I rep the club well, I owe them a lot for giving me a shot. I think I can make it as a top line on any team and anything short of that would be a failure.

For the most part it's just a personal preference. I wanted a strong two-way player so maybe a Bergeron or a Couturier is where he'll end up but I wanted to do more than just focus on scoring.

Absolutely. We're all here to see our names in the rafters.

A two-way playmaker. I'd say it's more balanced than focused on one or the other.

Not ice but played street a lot while growing up. Does real life include xbox? Lol

3 hours ago, diamond_ace said:

1. Any particular teams at the VHL level you would prefer to be drafted to when the time comes, just from what you know of them now? Any you'd rather avoid?

As a first gen I don't really have any opinions built on the VHL teams. I know there's a lot of great people up there and that it'll all work out when my time comes. Right now, just focusing on representing my current team.

Winnipeg boy here so... always cheering for the Jets. I hopped on the Capitals bandwagon after we got knocked out this year so that was pretty exciting. Also a fan of the Preds although that dropped off a bit recently. 

3. What other sports do you watch besides hockey, and what's your favorite team from those?

Don't watch much else but I try and get to a couple CFL games each year (Blue Bombers). Currently watching the World Cup and cheering for Portugal as that's where part of my family is from.

It's been fun, I like that we can all have different levels of engagement and aren't punished for it. I hope to get more involved as I get more comfortable with the system.

5. A little off the wall one here - favorite enjoyment activity in real life? VHL excluded, of course.

I'm all over the place, it's summer now so a lot of biking and camping mainly. Can't think of anything else right now.

On 6/20/2018 at 1:43 PM, diamond_ace said:

Any new guys on the team, feel free to answer Exlaxchronicles' questions, and I'll pose a few in here myself - if you answer over the cap of questions for one week, the rest can be used for the following week:

From only a quick look, it looks like the bottom of the VHL standings are all teams with roster wastelands.  Does that means they are tanking for talent?  Or do those GM's just not care?  Not a good look for a rookie coming into the league and looking for competition...

Winnipeg Jets!   Grew up a Leafs fan in Saskatchewan but became a Jets fan when the team came back whlle I was living in Winnipeg.

Definitely football.  I'll watch all Saskatchewan Roughriders games and most Winnipeg Blue Bombers games.  Plus I'm in a dynasty NFL fantasy league so I'll watch whichever  NFL game I have a player in.  

Not what I expected but I'm definitely seeing the positives and trying my best.  I really liked Metroho hockey (if any of you heard of that hockey league sim) but quit after about 10 seasons when I won one of the highest leagues possible.  I like that if you put the effort in, you're rewarded here.  That's awesome.

Board games.  The new one's coming out in the last few years are just so good compared to the "classics".  I can't stand Monopoly anymore.  It's just so long and luck-based.  If you're interested look up board game reviews on Youtube for Stockpile, Lords of Vegas, Isle of Skye or Agricola.  I own all of them and can't recommend them loud enough.

@Elhandon I actually do a few non-standard board games myself, not too in depth (primarily because I don't have a lot of local people interested in them) but I've done things like Dead of Winter, Kill Shakespeare, and I have Ticket to Ride and Pandemic on my tablet to play against CPU players.

On 6/20/2018 at 2:43 PM, diamond_ace said:

I'm ready to play for whoever drafts me. Sounds like the Calgary squad has a bunch of EFL guys on it, so that might be pretty fun. Outside of that I'm really just hoping to find a solid atmosphere.

The Dallas Stars, by virtue of my birth city. First sports jersey I ever got was a Brett Hull number 22 back in 1999.

I'm chiefly a football guy, but I follow everything. It's family tradition to root for the Pittsburgh Steelers, so I've been in their corner since day 1.

The league is great. I'm really enjoying having a hockey player finally, and he might turn out to be my favorite sim league player.

Playing sports. I'll strap up for anything, I just can't get enough of competitive physical contests I guess haha

11 hours ago, Elhandon said:

Board games.  The new one's coming out in the last few years are just so good compared to the "classics".  I can't stand Monopoly anymore.  It's just so long and luck-based.  If you're interested look up board game reviews on Youtube for Stockpile, Lords of Vegas, Isle of Skye or Agricola.  I own all of them and can't recommend them loud enough.

Speaking of luck-based, Lords of Vegas requires some excellent dice-rolling skills ;) 

That's the reason I can't stand Catan anymore though, it's basically just rolling. Agricola is fantastic as a near perfect information game. Also a really big fan of Viticulture and Puerto Rico. (My game closet is similarly stuffed)

10 hours ago, alecbama said:

Speaking of luck-based, Lords of Vegas requires some excellent dice-rolling skills ;) 

That's the reason I can't stand Catan anymore though, it's basically just rolling. Agricola is fantastic as a near perfect information game. Also a really big fan of Viticulture and Puerto Rico. (My game closet is similarly stuffed)

Good point about LoV.  It has a lot of luck, but still, it is soooo fun.  Plus it fits the theme and is great for nubes!

Yup, I don't play Catan much anymore but I can't hate on the game that got me into this hobby!

Nice to see other boardgamers on here!

• 3 weeks later...

Answering the following:

1. What do you think about getting your career started with the Lynx?

- It's been good here in Ottawa. We've definitely had our ups and downs, but we're putting it together little by little and I'm learning a lot from the guys here.

- I'm trying to be a defensive fiend and set up the scorers with great opportunities. Scoring myself has never been a main goal (pun intended).

- I'd like to go down as the greatest two-way forward in league history. Unlikely? Absolutely, but have to shoot for the moon if you want to be any good.

Asking the following:

1. What attribute are you focusing on building right now and what do you think it can add to your game?

2. Are you happy with how your season is going right now and do you need to play better?

3. Do you think you're playing enough minutes at the right positions, or should coach change up the lines?

4. Take us through one of your recent games and break down the stat line for us.

5. If you had to choose one legend to play one game with, who would it be and why?

• 4 weeks later...

Going to ask the same questions to my S62 guys as I did to my S60 guys

@DaftRaincloud @Tacocat @Joobles @Mike_Houle @Rzerk @803 @nymets5 @McWolf @bdu754
@Da Trifecta @eaglesfan036 @BOOM™ @Elhandon @hedgehog337 

Anyone who has already answered some of these (Elhandon almost certainly has) look through alecbama's questions and see if some of those can take you to 5.

1. What do you think about getting your careers started with the Lynx? I am more than excited to be a part of such a wonderful squad. I can only hope my teammates are just as excited.

2. Any preliminary opinions on which teams at the VHL level you might eventually want to play for? Yeah going to avoid Seattle for sure lol @Banackock pew pew

3. How are you looking to build your player? Stylistically, and/or players you're modeling after? Davey Jones

4. Long term goals? Cups, HOF, etc? Cups follow me so I know I am in good shape. Just trying to continue climbing the ladder bud lol

5. Member-wise: favorite hockey team? Same as you my friend

6 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

Going to ask the same questions to my S62 guys as I did to my S60 guys

@DaftRaincloud @Tacocat @Joobles @Mike_Houle @Rzerk @803 @nymets5 @McWolf @bdu754
@Da Trifecta @eaglesfan036 @BOOM™ @Elhandon @hedgehog337 

Anyone who has already answered some of these (Elhandon almost certainly has) look through alecbama's questions and see if some of those can take you to 5.

1. I'm excited to be on a team that was carefully constructed and where I am able to be a top 6 forward so quickly. I think that given the opportunity and with the abilities of the guys who I share a line with I have been given a great opportunity to shine here in Ottawa.

2. I am very open to the Seattle Bears since that's my hometown team, I also see Calgary as a potential destination I could see myself enjoying.

3. I really want to be that guy who you never know what he's going to do next with the puck. When I have it I'm always going to trying to see who's open and make sure I get it right to them. Scoring might be flashy, but somebody needs to give them the puck and that guy is me.

4. I definitely think that given enough time I can be a part of a cup winning team. Hall of fame is a longshot, but I would be honored to make it in.

5. Favorite hockey team? Well it's obvious isn't it? The Ottawa Lynx!

2 minutes ago, DaftRaincloud said:

1. I'm excited to be on a team that was carefully constructed and where I am able to be a top 6 forward so quickly. I think that given the opportunity and with the abilities of the guys who I share a line with I have been given a great opportunity to shine here in Ottawa.

2. I am very open to the Seattle Bears since that's my hometown team, I also see Calgary as a potential destination I could see myself enjoying.

3. I really want to be that guy who you never know what he's going to do next with the puck. When I have it I'm always going to trying to see who's open and make sure I get it right to them. Scoring might be flashy, but somebody needs to give them the puck and that guy is me.

4. I definitely think that given enough time I can be a part of a cup winning team. Hall of fame is a longshot, but I would be honored to make it in.

5. Favorite hockey team? Well it's obvious isn't it? The Ottawa Lynx!

My current player is on Calgary :)

1. Looking forward to it! It's near home (player is from Gatineau which is right on top of Ottawa, and I'm an Ottawa boy irl) and would love to bring some success to the city

2. Not that picky, just looking forward to getting to play in the big leagues

3. Strong skater and smart defensive play in the long run, more immediately make my scoring and puck handling better to support the lines play style. 

4. I want to win the cup. The Hall of Fame comes if it comes, but I can do something about getting the cup! 

5. Sens fan unfortunately for me 

2 minutes ago, Mike_Houle said:

1. Looking forward to it! It's near home (player is from Gatineau which is right on top of Ottawa, and I'm an Ottawa boy irl) and would love to bring some success to the city

2. Not that picky, just looking forward to getting to play in the big leagues

3. Strong skater and smart defensive play in the long run, more immediately make my scoring and puck handling better to support the lines play style. 

4. I want to win the cup. The Hall of Fame comes if it comes, but I can do something about getting the cup! 

5. Sens fan unfortunately for me 

As for #3, this sim engine massively rewards skating, so you're on the right track with that one