We need to discuss VSN as a whole... [1/2]

Rayzor_7

566662376695398400.png?v=1

Consider this my official resignation from the job of a VSN Writer. Between my new lack of want to do research for VSN articles and the feelings about the group as a whole, this is the right thing for me to do. As you will have noticed (or not) I have not posted in a month or so as a bit of a silent protest.

My main reasons for leaving the crew is the lack of leadership and the management in general (or lack there of). MattO is the only member left in the group that actually wants VSN to succeed as well as puts in the effort to do so inside the crew and outside.

Back in August, there was an attempt made to restructure VSN and have new leadership put in and rework the system. But that plea from some of the writers fell on deaf ears or from what I’m being told/found out ear’s that did want to do something but were convinced to do otherwise. So I waited, waiting to see what change would be brought forth by management. The short answer, nothing. The long answer, the hiring of one writer and a demand that the 2 to 3 current writers put out two 750+ Media spots per week. As a reminder, the job pays only 8 TPE per week, making this demand both painful and just not going to happen. MattO did actually hammer down and put out 8 different posts meanwhile the management put out just 2 in the same time period and hasn’t done anything since. Those 2 posts are the only posts the manager has put out in the past 3 months.

Criticism has fallen upon the VSN group on multiple occasions. Mainly, back in August DilisPickle called for the abolishing of the group. Beaviss pointed out that he had requested to takeover previously but was never given an answer from the acting manager. Give the manager a little bit of a break, as real life had taken him and his commitment to this site had to slide a bit. But this was also known in advance, and as such should have been dealt with prior and a different manager should have stepped in temporarily or permanently. Sadly, this call for dismantle or potential rework fell dead with nothing coming out of it. The writers call for new management and a rework happened after this.

Personally, I still want to see VSN continue. But it would need a large amount of reworking or a complete overhaul. I look at guys who write some amazing writers on the site that should be a part of our group. Such as guys like Frostbeard, Gustav, McWolf, Renomitsu, but some of them wouldn’t want to be due to management or due to restrictions as to the type of content that it could potentially restrict them to as well as the requirements they hear from internal members. I’ll give these guys props for their writing skills and would love to see Frostbeard take ECN and make a community out of it or another news outlet, I would want to write for him, a man who knows how to keep things fun and light.

So here’s my very public call to the management of VSN as well as the powers above it. Either have a change of management or abolish it altogether. As of me leaving your crew now consists of 2 writers, 1 podcaster and management. VSN is no longer a source of interest in the league and hasn’t been since DilisPickle stepped down. There is no use for it and MattO alone carries the burden of it.

My personal opinion here, burn it to the ground and have Frostbeard create a league backed ECN.

6 minutes ago, DilIsPickle said:

I made an article like this before, and I there we have two options:

1.  Delete VSN
  2. Give someone like @DollarAndADream or @GustavMattias management of it

Not @GustavMattias you don't realise what he does behind closed doors

15 minutes ago, Berocka said:

Not @GustavMattias you don't realise what he does behind closed doors

VSN shall become a writers' gulag under my iron fist (I am, however, not a circus monkey, so there's that at least).

For real, though, the solution to VSN is simple:

-Keep @Matt_O and @VanCanWin. Also, keep @Advantage on as he's the new hire and plans to begin podcasting for VSN full-time. FIRE EVERYBODY ELSE BECAUSE NOBODY ELSE HAS DONE ANYTHING MEANINGFUL IN RECENT MEMORY.

-Hire people who can write well and who will be motivated to put out articles on a regular basis.

-Encourage quality over quantity. If someone doesn't get an article out every week, but writes extensive, well-thought-out, well-written articles, that is much better than just half-asking 500 words every week without fail.

It's either that, or we can continue to watch VSN be dead.

Edited by GustavMattias

6 minutes ago, GustavMattias said:

half-asking

Dammit, I've already edited that post to correct something else I've typed. I'm willing to double-ping a few people, but three pings is cruel. You know what I meant.

ECN should be a section of the VSN, there should also be a members spotlight which features the best article of the week written by a normal member. This way there is less stress on VSN to produce quantity of articles and so good articles don't just get lost in the chaos of the vhl

Edited by Berocka
Missed the end of my sentence whoops

I'll run this shit to the top.  Just give me the throne blues.

The league deserves an actually dedicated staff.

I'd like to see at least one other podcaster and a bunch more writers (some perhaps vhlm focused and others VHL to give the leagues population what they want).

Tournaments should be covered...drafts...free agency...trade deadline...etc.  We gotta get it all.  That's what I expect out of this team.  

Edited by Advantage

hahahahahahahaha

First I'll address Rayzor's post

4 hours ago, Rayzor_7 said:

MattO is the only member left in the group that actually wants VSN to succeed as well as puts in the effort to do so inside the crew and outside.

I actually do write sometimes when I'm able to/find a good topic, and this is a lovely blanket statement as well.

The long answer, the hiring of one writer and a demand that the 2 to 3 current writers put out two 750+ Media spots per week.

Yes, and i saw it fail so I retracted those rules.....and 750 words is not hard when you're earning an extra 2 tpe

MattO did actually hammer down and put out 8 different posts meanwhile the management put out just 2 in the same time period and hasn’t done anything since. Those 2 posts are the only posts the manager has put out in the past 3 months.

This has zero logic behind this. Yes, you actually backed my reasoning in a later sentence. I had real life take me away for quite a while, and you'll see that they were recent posts (I was gonna post one today, but halfway through realized it was boring so i scrapped it)

Beaviss pointed out that he had requested to takeover previously but was never given an answer from the acting manager.

Aaaaaaaand my bullshit detector is going off. Beav himself will tell you i gave him an answer everytime, and we even implemented new ideas together

But this was also known in advance, and as such should have been dealt with prior and a different manager should have stepped in temporarily or permanently

I'll admit, it could've been handled better, but me being gone doesn't automatically mean everyone must stop writing. Writers could've yknow.......written

I’ll give these guys props for their writing skills and would love to see Frostbeard take ECN and make a community out of it or another news outlet, I would want to write for him, a man who knows how to keep things fun and light.

i actually offered frostbeard a vsn writing spot and he declined, so good luck. also, i never took anything too seriously, i did my job and you were the one who didnt write.

As of me leaving your crew now consists of 2 writers, 1 podcaster and management.

we've pretty much had this for 2 months since you havent written anything

overall, fine, i get it. be mad at ME. Obviously as manager i take the brunt of responsibility, but i mean fuck off, i can't write everything myself, and neither can matt. ive hired 2 people in the past two weeks to try and get going, but shit isnt easy rayzor. try writing sometime, maybe vsn wont die

as for everyone else and this "election" bullshit, go right ahead. just know ive been fucking trying but it takes more than an hour to revive vsn

also im so glad you posted this in the vsn section. not only is it your first article in forever (also nice excuse, except i know you havent been writing because you dont feel like it, youre not even active in the discord) but you brought even more negative attention to vsn, nice going

@ShawnGlade, I don't recall you offering me a writting spot, I might be horribly mistaken but I have searched over Discord messages and Private messages on Forums and I can't find an instance where you offered me that.

I would not write for VSN at current state anyway because a clear vision and path that VSN follows in needed and rihht now there are scraps thrown together. Drastic changes are necessary and there are truly talented writers all over VHL that would give all they can for VSN under different leadership.

It is what it is though, your inactivity while understandable didn't help VSN and hurt it even more.

8 hours ago, FrostBeard said:

@ShawnGlade, I don't recall you offering me a writting spot, I might be horribly mistaken but I have searched over Discord messages and Private messages on Forums and I can't find an instance where you offered me that.

I would not write for VSN at current state anyway because a clear vision and path that VSN follows in needed and rihht now there are scraps thrown together. Drastic changes are necessary and there are truly talented writers all over VHL that would give all they can for VSN under different leadership.

It is what it is though, your inactivity while understandable didn't help VSN and hurt it even more.

I 100% offered you a spot. i don't remember where but i remember it very well, it was right after one of your ecn articles. (vague i know but thats all i got)

2 hours ago, Advantage said:

@ShawnGlade I dont really care who runs it but the team should come together.  As someone who wrote for over 200 editions of the mag, I'd like to see a similar following.  I know it will take work but if the work is put in, it's doable.

i know, and I'm trying, I've tried bringing in new people to produce content and get rid of the bad eggs

8 hours ago, FrostBeard said:

I'm pretty sure I even asked Shawn about hiring you and you said no. I'm not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure this happened.

47 minutes ago, Matt_O said:

I'm pretty sure I even asked Shawn about hiring you and you said no. I'm not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure this happened.

As I said, I don't recall said situation and I would do so, maybe you had a thought about asking but it never panned and it is fine. I am just saying that to my knowledge (I am about 95% sure) this wasn't brought directly to me. That is not a jab at anyone, just saying that I don't recall it.

11 hours ago, ShawnGlade said:

Yes, and i saw it fail so I retracted those rules.....and 750 words is not hard when you're earning an extra 2 tpe

Never said 750 was hard for the extra 2 tpe. Just that asking for 1500-2250 words for 8 tpe is unreasonable. 

12 hours ago, ShawnGlade said:

Aaaaaaaand my bullshit detector is going off. Beav himself will tell you i gave him an answer everytime, and we even implemented new ideas together

Small paraphrasing but no bullshit here.

i actually offered frostbeard a vsn writing spot and he declined, so good luck. also, i never took anything too seriously, i did my job and you were the one who didnt write.

As Frostbeard has already responded, apparently not. As well as I said when Matt suggested it that he would no longer want to as the chaos was obvious back in August. 

You also decide that a compliment about Frostbeard is a shot at you, it isn't.

we've pretty much had this for 2 months since you havent written anything

Right, August while I was trying to get change to happen and September out of protest.

try writing sometime, maybe vsn wont die

See above

(...youre not even active in the discord) but you brought even more negative attention to vsn, nice going

Just categorically wrong, I'm still quite active in Discord across my teams I've just been less involved in the General chat. There are closed doors in most LR's.

I succeeded where I wanted too, I brought VSN into a spotlight when there is time to address it. The public has outcried and the change is hopefully coming. So yeah all in all it is pretty nice.

16 hours ago, GustavMattias said:

For real, though, the solution to VSN is simple:

-Keep @Matt_O and @VanCanWin. Also, keep @Advantage on as he's the new hire and plans to begin podcasting for VSN full-time. FIRE EVERYBODY ELSE BECAUSE NOBODY ELSE HAS DONE ANYTHING MEANINGFUL IN RECENT MEMORY.

-Hire people who can write well and who will be motivated to put out articles on a regular basis.

-Encourage quality over quantity. If someone doesn't get an article out every week, but writes extensive, well-thought-out, well-written articles, that is much better than just half-asking 500 words every week without fail.

Fairly similar to what was proposed by us previously except you know, we didn't have the power to bring on the obvious picks for writers. This is pretty much exactly what I wanted.

13 hours ago, Advantage said:

Tournaments should be covered...drafts...free agency...trade deadline...etc.  We gotta get it all.  That's what I expect out of this team.  

Again see above, issue is with 3 staffed writers that's not possible. VSN needed to be brought up to 5-7 writers and we were left with about 3 for a long time.