Happy Birthday VHL!

Beketov

I think it was the year where I went to Ontario for the first time. We went to Toronto and to Medieval Times. It was lit. I still have my crown.

Oh we also went to a Jays game. Wasn't as lit but still cool.

My memory:

I was in 8th grade when I was 13 (that was 2013-14 for anyone here who wants to feel old). I really don't remember much because I'd like to forget as much as possible about my time in middle school/high school, in part because of general teenage awkwardness and also in part because I feel I'm a much better person than I was during that time (and, by extension, I was a much worse person then). For whatever reason, the one thing that comes to mind is this:

My English teacher had a list of words which we were NOT allowed to use in an essay. I can't remember the whole list, but here are a few words on it:

-Stuff

-Gonna

-You

-Good

-Bad

-Things

-A Lot

To this day, when I write anything at all and include one of these, I immediately realize it, and if it's in a formal context, I'm always able to replace it with something more sophisticated-sounding. I had a few terrible English classes in high school (as in, I learned nothing at all in three out of the four of them) and I'd say that that list itself has been incredibly helpful for anything I write.

When I was 13. I started scorekeeping for my local baseball teams, a job I did until I was like 20-21. I started with low levels, but in the last 4 or 5 years, I was the official scorekeeper of the Jr BB and Jr AA teams of my town, that was pretty cool. I hung out with them after games. That's not really of memory of when I was 13, but I really don't remember much from my teen years. I was a dork

When I was 13 I joined the local universities honour band playing lead trumpet there. They played university 1 level music. It was pretty dope. I left a few years later though because the other trumpet players stepped on my toes a lot :(

2 minutes ago, Plate said:

When I was 13 I joined the local universities honour band playing lead trumpet there. They played university 1 level music. It was pretty dope. I left a few years later though because the other trumpet players stepped on my toes a lot :(

I was my high school's best trumpet player and I'm still playing in college. Every time I think I'm good I run into someone who was in honor bands or consistently made all-county (I was always almost making it) and I have to teach myself a little lesson in humility.

Always nice to meet a fellow member of brass gang.

2 minutes ago, GustavMattias said:

Always nice to meet a fellow member of brass gang.

I went to Boston/NJ/NYC for a band trip and they SCHOOLED our jazz band. Great experience about what music is about and to never expect anything less of other peoples talents.

When I was 13 I still had my innocence about me. Life was simpler then riding around on my bike and going to the only store/diner nearby for candy or Caesar wraps on sundried tomato. That store has since shut down after all the good employees left. Hard to believe that was almost 10 years ago

That was also the same time I got to see Boston play against Montreal on their road to the cup.

Edited by SirRupertBarnes

Probably the best memory I have from when I was 13 was getting the MW3 theme Xbox 360, as much as I don't like the game now I still think the xbox itself is really cool!!

also happy birth day VHL!!

claiming the triple for the week July 26th

Edited by ROOKIE745

When I was thirteen, I was a dipshit that played fifa all night and trained soccer all day. I remember once when I didn’t sleep all night and went to practice at 7 am. I fell asleep during the stretches and the entire team drew dicks on my face.

My coach then forced me to run 50 laps. Big sad.

13 was year 8 in school, I got suspended for beating up a kid that was bullying my mate, was scared as shit to tell me dad and when I did he gave me my first beer for standing up for a mate. That’s when the drinking began 

13 hours ago, Beketov said:

Happy 13th Birthday Animated GIFs - Download on Funimada.com

Hey VHL @Members ,

Today, Saturday July 18th, the VHL becomes a teenager, as it celebrates its 13th Birthday! We opened our doors in 2007, and it's been a hell of a ride getting here, as we have grown from a group of 56 members and 8 teams, to having over 200 players, and 28 teams, between the VHL and VHLM, in Season 73. Through it all, we've seen original members, who started with the league as teenagers themselves, grow into adults with families and jobs, and we've seen new members come in with that same enthusiasm that gripped every one of us when the league began. It's been an amazing ride, and it is amazing to see the league continue to grow each, and every season!

To commemorate the league's birthday, we are giving all members a Triples Week, which adds 12 Uncapped TPE to any Point Task (Welfare/Pension/Affiliate PT are not included), as well as a 1 Uncapped TPE claim. To claim these perks, which conveniently add up to 13 Uncapped TPE, all you need to do is post in this thread a memory you have from when you were 13. If you are not 13 yet, post something you look forward to when you turn 13.

73pKPb6.gif

Note:

• This thread will remain open until 11:59PM PST on Saturday, July 25th.
  • Birthday perks may only be claimed on one player per member
  • Birthday perks must be claimed by Sunday, August 16th (aka before the S73 Trade Deadline)

Around 13 I was super into Pokemon and Megaman Battle Network. Still am but not as much I guess. Hadn't discovered my love for hockey yet. Always wish I had earlier.

• Commissioner
7 hours ago, GustavMattias said:

Also, I'd just like to add that this is a great thread to read through! Props to @Beketov or whoever came up with the idea.

@Quik gets the credit for that. He just forgot to post it.

• Commissioner
8 hours ago, Blazzer said:

And the 1 tpe is linked from the 13 yrs old memory thread? 

You can just claim it at the same time. It’s all uncapped anyway. Really just wanted a way to get it to 13 TPE.

I remember fondly, when I was 13 years old. The year was 1960 and President Kennedy had just been elected and the Australian Labour Party got a new leader in Arthur Calwell. It was also a massive year as the Mousketeers toured Australia. Huge deal! I think I got my first pubic hair, but my memory is kind of fuzzy these days. 

Happy birthday VHL.