Titans Over the Cap

JardyB10

Hello once again!

Last night it was brought to my attention that the Helsinki Titans are and have been, according to my math, $1.5M over the salary cap since the off-season. The rules and discipline on such a matter are intentionally vague, as mentioned in Section 1.1 in the Rule Book.

It is the responsibility of the GMs to ensure their teams are cap compliant by the time the regular season starts. However, since the finances were not (and are not) updated at the time, and as it was General Manager @Draper himself who finally caught and realized the mistake, I feel it is fair to only strip the Titans of their S49 3rd round draft pick.

In the meanwhile, since @DGFX.'s player Kendrick Cole has a convenient salary of $1.5M, and is still eligible to play in the VHLM, I have removed him from the Titans roster until Draper makes a move to get his team officially under the cap.

I don't feel there was any malicious intent, as it was an honest mistake on everyone's part, thus the fairly light punishment. However, if the Titans are still above the cap limit in a week from now, another draft pick will be stripped.

Hopefully this will encourage GMs to be more careful in the future, and encourage @gorlab not to be such a scrub at his job! #FinancialVictatorship2016

Thank you for your understanding, and have a good day! :autism:

• Senior Admin

But on a serious note, I should have caught this earlier whether the contract thread was updated or not so that's on me. Upon realizing, I told Jardy and asked him to handle it accordingly as he would if it was any other GM.

My apologies. Hopefully this reminds all GMs, including myself, that keeping your own cap sheet updated is a wise decision. 

• Senior Admin
7 minutes ago, Smarch said:

If brovy did this I wonder how the "leaders" would have handled this

We would probably have done nothing, just like we did the last time he was over the cap.

It seems Cole never accepted despite being active actually, so isn't Gorlab's fault. So isn't he technically "holding out" in that case? Which, if I remember from the Bears/Molholt situation, is vague as all hell in the Rule Book, but I figure at least means he's an RFA this coming offseason. (Massive props to Davos if they get him anyway after Coach's bitching with an RFA offer.)

32 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

It seems Cole never accepted despite being active actually, so isn't Gorlab's fault. So isn't he technically "holding out" in that case? Which, if I remember from the Bears/Molholt situation, is vague as all hell in the Rule Book, but I figure at least means he's an RFA this coming offseason. (Massive props to Davos if they get him anyway after Coach's bitching with an RFA offer.)

I wouldn't say it's Gorlab fault either (like Draper has said, it's up to GMs to keep track of their spending), but gorlab does still have Koponen listed as a UFA despite being signed to a contract prior to the start of the season. Had he updated that, he would have been able to see Titans would have already been at the cap limit and could have warned the Titans about what they were offering Cole, or bring it up to management that they'd be over the cap sooner. He's not the reason for the failure, but a more efficient financier could have prevented this issue. 

:cig:

Edited by XaviYEAH! Woods

• Senior Admin

Yeah the blame doesn't lie with Gorlab, like I said, it's on me. I told Jardy I would accept whatever compensation he saw fit and I also told him not to hesitate to adjust it if the public disagree.

I wanted to make sure this was dealt with as it would be for any other GM and I mean, there's not really any standard to go by so I don't know how to judge what's a fair price, but I'll be the first to admit a 3rd is pretty light for a quarter season of extra 1.5M, although Cole did only register like 10 PTS or someting like that.

I mean....

I'd make the argument that the base line value for anything over the Cap should be a second round pick. The punishment has to at least START at a point where the GM in question actually is losing something of some value. 2nds can be worth while, a 3rd almost never results in anything. 

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

I mean....

I'd make the argument that the base line value for anything over the Cap should be a second round pick. The punishment has to at least START at a point where the GM in question actually is losing something of some value. 2nds can be worth while, a 3rd almost never results in anything. 

I imagine it would be more harsh if it was intentional. Draper might be acting all nice and saying it was his fault but if I was still financier, and now earning 2 TPE for my job in the off-season, I would take all the blame for such a ridiculous mistake. This is just poor from gorlab.

1 hour ago, XaviYEAH! Woods said:

I wouldn't say it's Gorlab fault either (like Draper has said, it's up to GMs to keep track of their spending), but gorlab does still have Koponen listed as a UFA despite being signed to a contract prior to the start of the season. Had he updated that, he would have been able to see Titans would have already been at the cap limit and could have warned the Titans about what they were offering Cole, or bring it up to management that they'd be over the cap sooner. He's not the reason for the failure, but a more efficient financier could have prevented this issue. 

:cig:

1 hour ago, Victor said:

I imagine it would be more harsh if it was intentional. Draper might be acting all nice and saying it was his fault but if I was still financier, and now earning 2 TPE for my job in the off-season, I would take all the blame for such a ridiculous mistake. This is just poor from gorlab.

When I was doing preseason updates, Cole was still on his VHLM team but had applied over 175 TPE, so I PMed Draper to see whether he was up or down. Depending on when Gorlab finalized contracts, may not have been a consideration that Cole was on the active roster, since I think I moved him right before season started. This one ain't cut and dry.

• Admin
1 minute ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

When I was doing preseason updates, Cole was still on his VHLM team but had applied over 175 TPE, so I PMed Draper to see whether he was up or down. Depending on when Gorlab finalized contracts, may not have been a consideration that Cole was on the active roster, since I think I moved him right before season started. This one ain't cut and dry.

Gorlab updated AFTER the season started 

2 minutes ago, Victor said:

Gorlab updated AFTER the season started 

Then that's not preferable. Either way, don't really care that much since mistakes can be made, but still probably tend towards the Devise POV just to make sure that's something GMs double check.

1 hour ago, Mr. Power said:

I mean....

I would definitely say that is a fair argument, however, the reality is that, in literally almost every other instance of a team going over the cap in league history, there's usually SOMEONE (whether the financier or an observant pedestrian) who notices that a certain move would put a team over the cap, and that move would subsequently be blocked and voided without consequence.

I know the GMs in here are joking about gaining an advantage for only a 3rd, but to entertain that and counterpoint that anyway: 1. If they did sign someone/make a trade to do that, it would probably get noticed and voided like it usually is, so it wouldn't work anyway. But, 2. If it DID slip through the cracks and they were caught doing something sketchy like that, the punishment would indeed be worse than a 3rd. Probably starting at a 2nd, like you said, but I guess it would depend on the situation.

As for @DGFX. technically being a RFA performing a holdout, that is actually correct (Although I don't think the rules are that vague on that. Just where you need to accept, I suppose). So I suppose in that case, the Titans WEREN'T over the cap, they just had an illegal player on their roster. Either way, fuck them.