Survey Results

Thanks to everyone who responded to the survey I posted a few days ago. If you haven't filled out it, please feel free to do so, but I wanted to talk a little bit about the results I've seen so far. That survey can be found here:

The idea behind this survey was to get some very basic data from people regarding their age and their preferred medium for consuming entertainment and news. I decided to split the media into two major blocks: print media and audio/visual media. The assumption coming into this was that a majority of the active users would prefer print over audio/visual. The reason I assumed this was that this form of entertainment, the VHL, requires some degree of reading. Some read and write heavily, others probably only read the results of a game and a couple of chats. I would be curious to see the results if IA users had also responded. I'm assuming again here that a majority of those who go IA probably prefer audio/visual media, but I don't have any way of knowing that.

So, here's the data as it stands right now.

Total Response: 106

Average Age of Users: 26.5

dfd

*One user did not leave their age, hence why the total is 105 rather than 106

image.thumb.png.be4d91bfc5dc5317878ecc3520c1c272.png

Print Media Preference: 48

Audio/Visual Preference: 58

While this is a small sample size of the whole community of people in the VHL, it does give us some interesting things to consider. First, we can see that the majority of users who responded to the survey prefer to consume information/entertainment via Print Media. Second, the largest generation of people in the league is Gen Z.

So, what are your thoughts? Does this give us some information that is helpful for recruitment, overall user experience, or even the direction of the league?

Edited by thadthrasher

I feel like our 11-26 bracket could be separated a bit more...there's probably a decent demographic shift between the two ends of it. 11-17 and 18-26 are fundamentally different IMO because it differentiates between "probably in a school system" and "has probably graduated high school and is doing something more independent". For example, I'm 22 and an entirely different person than I was 5 years ago.

I'm curious what this by itself tells us. I guess I do understand a takeaway (I'm assuming, younger people prefer visual input so that might be a valuable direction for recruitment to take) but I think we'd be better off with more info. Things like...where were you recruited from? Where do you spend most of your time online? Is there a space where you spend time online other than our traditional VHL recruitment spaces where you could see an ad working? I'm also not sure "we should do more videos" is even a valid takeaway from this either as Reddit recruitment used to be easily the best option back when we were allowed to mass upvote (and YouTube ads became the thing more so as a response). So it largely depends on the circumstances of our ads, how visible they are, and whether people are going to be willing to take a look instead of scrolling by.

Edited by Gustav

1 hour ago, Berocka said:

Why does the pie chart not match the data below it?

Big Pie wants you to believe that your slice is the same as everyone else’s. 

Without actually doing the math I’m pretty sure the text just got flipped around. The image is correct in any case as that’s just taken from the form.