The end of the VHLE

Beketov

• Commissioner

Hello @Members

I won't lie, some of you are probably thrilled to be reading this, but for me it's bitter sweet. 15 seasons and over 3 real life years ago we officially announced the VHLE, the league's third official league. It was a culmination of a lot of behind the scenes work to make what ultimately was necessary at that time and I was proud to get such a large project off the ground.

For many reasons it’s great that it’s no longer 2021, the world isn’t locked down anymore for instance; but one cannot deny those lockdowns brought us a lot of members and now league recruitment has returned to what we would call normal levels vs. the insanity that I think most members became accustomed to. Realistically with that comes the fact that the league is simply not overfilled to the point where a third league is necessary any longer. For that reason, as of S96, we will be removing the VHLE.

I can't find any quotes from me on the matter like I would have wanted but I have been saying for years that the VHLE is actually easier to remove than simply expanding the VHLM and then contracting teams later, I stand by that and it is more or less how we are going to handle this. The VHLM for the time being will remain at 10 teams, though we are open to future expansion if needed, and the players from the VHLE will be moved up or down accordingly based on their TPE levels. The VHLM's hard cap will increase to 400 TPE, the VHL's soft cap will remain at 300 TPE. So essentially the same as the VHLE for call ups, if you are over 300 TPE at the cutoff you can play up or down, if you are over 400 TPE you're in the VHL.

Exactly how players will be moved down is still up for debate a bit amongst the @VHLM Commissioner  team but in all likelihood players will simply revert back to the team that previously owned their rights in most cases and go to a waiver system in a few select ones. If that doesn't prove remotely balanced there could be a draft, again we'll know more details soon. The VHL isn't particularly affected since players who would have been going up still are so no major change on that front.

The @VHLM GM and @VHLE GM groups have been notified about this in advance so they already knew as of a few days ago. For the VHLM side nothing much is changing but unfortunately the VHLE crew are all more or less out of a job, luckily we expect a lot of openings this off season so hopefully they can all find new homes. Either way we appreciate all that they did for the VHLE, even if its time was relatively short in the grand scheme of things. Additionally we appreciate @Enorama for his work as VHLE commish, the RGB teams (RIP that acronym) can be thankless jobs and he did it well to the very end.

Other minor things of note that this does affect: the "Hello Europe" career task will officially be retired as of now. We may replace it in the future if we feel like another one is needed but thematically nothing really fits and the @BOG feels as if the career tasks don't necessarily need an additional one in that slot. Career length also did go up with the VHLE but we have no plans as of right now to bring it back down. With the expected time to get to the VHL staying the same it seems equally fair that the career length is staying the same; in most cases people will simply spend that extra season in the VHLM instead of jumping around.

I do want to make it clear that, at least personally, I do not believe the VHLE was a failure, simply a mark of it's time. Time's change and the league must evolve. if the time comes that it makes more sense Vasteras may yet ride again but as of now the numbers simply aren't supported. I look forward to moving things back to how they traditionally worked and seeing where that takes us as we approach season 100.

Of note, and I promise this wall of text is almost done, we don't expect this to cause off-season delays but it's not impossible so please bear with us if things run a little longer than usual.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, I expect there will be some as this is a lot of information.

- @Commissioner

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, rory said:

News?

Whoever wins the Renaissance cup this season gets to keep it.

Just now, rory said:

Tyler The Creator Liar GIF by hamlet

I mean I’ve seen the VHLM post so they’re in the clear; unless Eno lied to us then there’s really no point in trying to pull this.

1 hour ago, Beketov said:

Hello @Members

I won't lie, some of you are probably thrilled to be reading this, but for me it's bitter sweet. 15 seasons and over 3 real life years ago we officially announced the VHLE, the league's third official league. It was a culmination of a lot of behind the scenes work to make what ultimately was necessary at that time and I was proud to get such a large project off the ground.

For many reasons it’s great that it’s no longer 2021, the world isn’t locked down anymore for instance; but one cannot deny those lockdowns brought us a lot of members and now league recruitment has returned to what we would call normal levels vs. the insanity that I think most members became accustomed to. Realistically with that comes the fact that the league is simply not overfilled to the point where a third league is necessary any longer. For that reason, as of S96, we will be removing the VHLE.

I can't find any quotes from me on the matter like I would have wanted but I have been saying for years that the VHLE is actually easier to remove than simply expanding the VHLM and then contracting teams later, I stand by that and it is more or less how we are going to handle this. The VHLM for the time being will remain at 10 teams, though we are open to future expansion if needed, and the players from the VHLE will be moved up or down accordingly based on their TPE levels. The VHLM's hard cap will increase to 400 TPE, the VHL's soft cap will increase to 350 TPE. So essentially the same as when the VHLE started, if you are over 350 TPE at the cutoff you can play up or down, if you are over 400 TPE you're in the VHL.

Exactly how players will be moved down is still up for debate a bit amongst the @VHLM Commissioner  team but in all likelihood players will simply revert back to the team that previously owned their rights in most cases and go to a waiver system in a few select ones. If that doesn't prove remotely balanced there could be a draft, again we'll know more details soon. The VHL isn't particularly affected since players who would have been going up still are so no major change on that front.

The @VHLM GM and @VHLE GM groups have been notified about this in advance so they already knew as of a few days ago. For the VHLM side nothing much is changing but unfortunately the VHLE crew are all more or less out of a job, luckily we expect a lot of openings this off season so hopefully they can all find new homes. Either way we appreciate all that they did for the VHLE, even if its time was relatively short in the grand scheme of things. Additionally we appreciate @Enorama for his work as VHLE commish, the RGB teams (RIP that acronym) can be thankless jobs and he did it well to the very end.

Other minor things of note that this does affect: the "Hello Europe" career task will officially be retired as of now. We may replace it in the future if we feel like another one is needed but thematically nothing really fits and the @BOG feels as if the career tasks don't necessarily need an additional one in that slot. Career length also did go up with the VHLE but we have no plans as of right now to bring it back down. With the expected time to get to the VHL staying the same it seems equally fair that the career length is staying the same; in most cases people will simply spend that extra season in the VHLM instead of jumping around.

I do want to make it clear that, at least personally, I do not believe the VHLE was a failure, simply a mark of it's time. Time's change and the league must evolve. if the time comes that it makes more sense Vasteras may yet ride again but as of now the numbers simply aren't supported. I look forward to moving things back to how they traditionally worked and seeing where that takes us as we approach season 100.

Of note, and I promise this wall of text is almost done, we don't expect this to cause off-season delays but it's not impossible so please bear with us if things run a little longer than usual.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, I expect there will be some as this is a lot of information.

- @Commissioner

Yukon! Yukon!

Jeez it was already 3 years old?? 

I literally just read the first VHL 20:20 (Limbo) and that was written when the VHL was 3 and a half years old and it was a marvel of longevity at that point. 

I was a great idea to bridge the gap and I am at least grateful I got to experience one season in it. 

• Commissioner
17 minutes ago, Phil said:

Jeez it was already 3 years old??

Essentially. Was announced May of 2021, its first official season index was October 26 of that year.