Toronto Legion Weekly Presser

:tor: Toronto Legion Press Conference :tor:

(2 TPE for answering all six questions)

1. With four games left we are two points off last season's total (49 to 51). Will we get three points and be able to say we've improved this year?

2. To what to you attribute our slight improvement over last season?

3. With no shot at making the playoffs, if you could golf any course, where would you tee off?

4. Who is your pick for most improved Legion player this season?

5. Rookie Jimi Jaks @kelvi is now 2nd in rookie scoring, one point behind the leader! Can he take over top spot by the end of the season?

6. What is your favorite thing about springtime?

Edited by animal74

• 3 weeks later...

1. What expectations do you have for the Legion next season?

2. Based on those expectations, how aggressive do you think management be on the trade/free agent front? What do we need most?

3. If you could only do one dry land exercise for the whole off-season what would it be?

4. What area do you hope to improve most in this off-season?

5. You're settling on your deck to relax and catch some rays. What are you drinking?

6. What snack or beverage are you bringing to the team BBQ to share?

On 6/1/2023 at 1:17 PM, animal74 said:

1. What expectations do you have for the Legion next season?

2. Based on those expectations, how aggressive do you think management be on the trade/free agent front? What do we need most?

3. If you could only do one dry land exercise for the whole off-season what would it be?

4. What area do you hope to improve most in this off-season?

5. You're settling on your deck to relax and catch some rays. What are you drinking?

6. What snack or beverage are you bringing to the team BBQ to share?

1. Win the cup obviously, anything else is a failure.

2. Super aggressive trade everyone and then trade the players you traded for

3. Running, but if it’s a specific one the 300 meter 

4. Relation time hopefully that will give me some more consistency

5. Corona with a lime, the best beer brand imo

6. Get some packs of coronas lol

1. If you were a gambling person, would you put money on Toronto making the playoffs this season?

2. If you could play with any player in VHL history who would you choose and why?

3. What's the wildfire situation in your area? Is it affecting your dry land training?

4. What is the best thing you have planned for this summer?

5. Would you rather for a day: sit in a boat on a beautiful lake and fish or float around in a big pool?

6. Golden Knights or Panthers. Who is winning the Stanley Cup?

Edited by animal74

1) I believe in our team's potential and I would put my money on the Toronto Legion making the playoffs this season.

2) If I could choose any player in VHL history to play with, it would be Andrew Su (VAN). His skill, vision, and hockey IQ were exceptional, and I believe playing alongside him would elevate my game. Back to back points leader, as well. 

3) We had a few days of heavy smoke. It smelt like a 24/7 bonfire but has mostly passed now. 

4) The best thing I have planned for this summer is spending quality time with my family and friends, enjoying some well-deserved rest and relaxation.

5) I would rather sit in a boat on a beautiful lake and fish for a day. There's something peaceful and serene about being surrounded by nature and engaging in the calming activity of fishing.

6) I would say the Vegas Golden Knights will win Stanley Cup. They have a strong team and have consistently performed well in recent years.

1) Absolutely! Looks like a lot of good work has been done this off-season to improve the team and be in a good spot to make the playoffs this season.

2) As someone who is new to the VHL and isn't too familiar with more of the current players, I'll have to take the easy answer and say Scotty Campbell. Playing with a player who holds the VHL record for goals, assists, and points would be pretty amazing to see what it takes to put up those kind of totals over a career.

3) Pretty fortunate to only have to deal with the air pollution coming off of the wildfires and not the actual fires themselves, so I'm thankful for that. It's definitely been more orange in the air when the sun is out, so that's been a little weird, but it could definitely be much worse.

4) Plans to have a guys weekend at the end of the summer for a fantasy football draft are pretty exciting. I'm hoping to do a bit of golfing this summer as well, which I always look forward to.

5) Definitely floating around a pool with the BBQ going and relaxing in the sun. I see the appeal in being out in a boat and enjoying the lake, but I don't really have the patience for fishing unfortunately.

6) I think that the Panthers have dug themselves too big of a hole to climb out of at this point. The break in between the East Final ending and the Cup Final starting killed their momentum and took Bobrovsky out of the groove that he was in, which I think was the only way that they could beat the Golden Knights. I think that Vegas shuts the door tomorrow night and ends the series in 5.

1. If you were a gambling person, would you put money on Toronto making the playoffs this season?

Yes I would. Always a lot of promise in young cores having a breakout season. The Legion are lined up for a run. 

2. If you could play with any player in VHL history who would you choose and why?

Scotty Campbell - my first linemate with my first player. Won that season and earned a Beketov. 

3. What's the wildfire situation in your area? Is it affecting your dry land training?

No wildfires down here in arkansas - but there is a bit of haze coming from Texas.

4. What is the best thing you have planned for this summer?

Bought a house. 

5. Would you rather for a day: sit in a boat on a beautiful lake and fish or float around in a big pool?

Big pool for sure. 

6. Golden Knights or Panthers. Who is winning the Stanley Cup?

Golden Knights - simply because they are up 3-1 :)

1. Congrats to our own Jimi Jaks @kelvi for being nominated for Top Rookie in S88. Which Legion player(s) do think will be nominated for an award in S89?

2. Have you ever won a VHL/E/M award? Which one and how did you feel?

3. We have three new veteran players (MacElroy @Xflexz, Bridgers @PhoebeIsQueen, Warrior @KnightRiley) joining us for S89. How would you describe the Legion to them?

4. Kyle Peace @Peace has retired. What are your words of farewell to him?

5. What should the Legion give Peace as a retirement gift?

6. Our lone rookie on the starting roster this year is Bobby Bob @Baby Boomer. What is your advise to him?

Edited by animal74

On 6/15/2023 at 6:13 PM, animal74 said:

1. Congrats to our own Jimi Jaks @kelvi for being nominated for Top Rookie in S88. Which Legion player(s) do think will be nominated for an award in S89?

2. Have you ever won a VHL/E/M award? Which one and how did you feel?

3. We have three new veteran players (MacElroy @Xflexz, Bridgers @PhoebeIsQueen, Warrior @KnightRiley) joining us for S89. How would you describe the Legion to them?

4. Kyle Peace @Peace has retired. What are your words of farewell to him?

5. What should the Legion give Peace as a retirement gift?

6. Our lone rookie on the starting roster this year is Bobby Bob @Baby Boomer. What is your advise to him?

1) Congratulations to Jimi Jaks for the well-deserved nomination as Top Rookie in S88. As for S89, I believe we have several talented players on our roster who could be in contention for various awards. Keep an eye on players like Montgomery Burns, who has been lighting up the VHLE with his scoring prowess.

2)Unfortunately, I have yet to win a VHL/E/M award in my career. However, I can imagine the immense pride and satisfaction that come with being recognized for one's accomplishments. Winning an award would be a testament to hard work, dedication, and the support of my teammates and coaching staff. Being drafted 1st overall was definitely the brightest spot of my career, but no award for that :)

3) To our new veteran players, MacElroy, Bridgers, and Warrior, welcome to the Legion family! The Toronto Legion is a team built on the values of hard work, communication, and camaraderie. We believe in fostering a positive team culture where everyone pushes each other to reach their full potential. We're excited to have you on board, and we look forward to achieving great things together.

4) Kyle Peace's retirement marks the end of an era for our team. He has been a true leader both on and off the ice, and his contributions to the Legion will always be remembered. We want to thank Kyle for his dedication, professionalism, and the positive impact he has had on the organization. We wish him all the best in his future endeavors and know that his legacy will live on within the Legion.

5) As a retirement gift for Kyle Peace, the Legion should consider something that reflects his remarkable career and honors his contributions to the team. A customized jersey with his name and number, framed memorabilia capturing his greatest moments, or a heartfelt tribute video showcasing his achievements could all be meaningful gestures to commemorate his time with the Legion.

6) To Bobby Bob, our rookie on the starting roster, my advice would be to embrace every opportunity and cherish every moment. Stay focused, work hard, and never stop learning and improving. Remember that you earned your spot on this team, and have confidence in your abilities. Lean on your teammates and coaching staff for support, and never be afraid to ask questions or seek guidance. Most importantly, enjoy the journey and have fun out there on the ice. Your rookie season is just the beginning, and we believe you have a bright future ahead.

1. Unfortunately, we're on a 7-game losing streak. All but one of those games have been lost by 2 or less goals. What do you suggest we try to turn things around?

2. Everyone is contributing though, which is great to see! All Legion players have at least 2 goals and 11 points. Who's your early pick to lead the team in scoring?

3. If Joel Castle continues to be among the Top-5 in GAA and SV% despite few wins, should he garner a nomination for the Aidan Shaw Trophy (Top Goaltender)?

4. If you live in Canada 🇨🇦, what are your Canada Day plans (July 1)? If not, what are your weekend plans?

5. The NHL Entry Draft begins tonight. Which player would you like your team to draft or what is a move you'd like them to make?

6. Hot dogs are the ultimate summer food. 🌭 What goes on yours? Ketchup, mustard, relish, BBQ sauce, cheese, onions, chili, etc.?

Edited by animal74

On 6/28/2023 at 2:55 PM, animal74 said:

1. Unfortunately, we're on a 7-game losing streak. All but one of those games have been lost by 2 or less goals. What do you suggest we try to turn things around?

2. Everyone is contributing though, which is great to see! All Legion players have at least 2 goals and 11 points. Who's your early pick to lead the team in scoring?

3. If Joel Castle continues to be among the Top-5 in GAA and SV% despite few wins, should he garner a nomination for the Aidan Shaw Trophy (Top Goaltender)?

4. If you live in Canada 🇨🇦, what are your Canada Day plans (July 1)? If not, what are your weekend plans?

5. The NHL Entry Draft begins tonight. Which player would you like your team to draft or what is a move you'd like them to make?

6. Hot dogs are the ultimate summer food. 🌭 What goes on yours? Ketchup, mustard, relish, BBQ sauce, cheese, onions, chili, etc.?

To turn things around, we need to focus on tightening up our defensive play and capitalizing on scoring chances. It's crucial to stay disciplined and minimize defensive mistakes while being opportunistic on offense. We should also work on maintaining a positive mindset and supporting each other throughout the games.

It's great to see everyone contributing, and it's tough to pick just one player to lead the team in scoring. We have a talented group, and I believe we'll see different players step up at different times. It's a collective effort, and as long as we continue to work together and create scoring opportunities, the points will come naturally.

Absolutely, if Joel Castle continues to excel statistically despite our recent struggles, he should definitely be considered for the Aidan Shaw Trophy. Goaltending is a crucial position, and even in tough times, Joel has shown his skill and ability to keep us in games. His consistent performance deserves recognition.

I spent some quality time with my family and friends, enjoying some outdoor activities and relax. It's important to take some time to recharge and rejuvenate.

As a player, I leave the decisions regarding the draft and team moves to the management. I trust their expertise and scouting to make the best choices for our team's future. I'm excited to see who they select and the potential impact they can bring to our roster.

When it comes to hot dogs, I like to keep it simple. I usually go for ketchup and mustard, maybe some mayo if it's available. I enjoy the classic flavors and find them to be a perfect complement to the grilled goodness of a hot dog. And of course, caramelized onion brings it to another level.  But hey, everyone has their preferences, and it's all about personal taste!

Just keep grinding and hopefully get some bounces. Our players are working hard and it will eventually go our way. A lot of the guys aren't happy with their own play and just need some luck. 

I think the captain (Atlas) had a slow start but will come around and lead the team in scoring.

He is by far our team MVP and if we make the playoffs he should be the league MVP. Just an amazing player and one of the best goalies in VHL history.

4. If you live in Canada , what are your Canada Day plans (July 1)? If not, what are your weekend plans?

I just moved into a house that I bought so I was pretty busy with that. On the Saturday I managed to visit a friends house for drinks. 

I honestly didn't follow the prospects enough to care which player the Leafs took. I think they should have taken a flyer on Cristall though. 

6. Hot dogs are the ultimate summer food.  What goes on yours? Ketchup, mustard, relish, BBQ sauce, cheese, onions, chili, etc.?

Load em up - ketchup, mustard, mayo, relish, sauerkraut, banana peppers. 

1. We've been playing better recently going 3-5-2 in our last 10 games with 20 goals for and 26 against. What do we need to do to keep trending up?

2. To steal from Theme Week, what's one thing you would change if you were the VHL Commish for a day?

3. Which is your favorite logo from the VHL/E/M and why?

4. In light of Independence Day, how many states have you visited (even briefly)?

5. Jimmy MacElroy @Xflexz currently leads the team in hits by a large margin with 103 hits. Will he surpass his career high of 147?

6. Also in light of Independence Day, what's the best fireworks show you've ever witnessed?

On 7/7/2023 at 1:50 PM, animal74 said:

1. We've been playing better recently going 3-5-2 in our last 10 games with 20 goals for and 26 against. What do we need to do to keep trending up?

2. To steal from Theme Week, what's one thing you would change if you were the VHL Commish for a day?

4. In light of Independence Day, how many states have you visited (even briefly)?

5. Jimmy MacElroy @Xflexz currently leads the team in hits by a large margin with 103 hits. Will he surpass his career high of 147?

6. Also in light of Independence Day, what's the best fireworks show you've ever witnessed?

1. Keep updating, keep putting points into D and SC.  We will get there.

2. I'd make it so that our logo actually fit properly on jersey changes.  Legion logo is so wonky it needs a refresher for sure.

3. Malmo, DC, Ottawa, all fire logos.  I like a ferocious creature on logos.

4. like 3?  Florida mostly, other than that I haven't really been to many spots in the US.

5. Looks like he is on the right track! Hope he does it, would be a nice side story during this horrible season lol.

6. At the Burj Khalifa in Dubai for New Years Eve.  Just insane.

On 7/7/2023 at 12:20 PM, animal74 said:

1) To keep trending up, we need to focus on our defensive game and tighten up our defensive structure. We've been scoring goals, but we also need to prioritize limiting the number of goals we allow. This means better positioning, communication, and staying disciplined in our defensive responsibilities. We should also continue to work on our special teams, both the power play and penalty kill, as they can greatly impact our success in games.

2) If I were the VHL Commish for a day, I would implement a league-wide initiative to promote grassroots hockey and youth development. It's crucial to invest in the future of the sport by providing resources, support, and opportunities for young players to learn and grow. By focusing on grassroots initiatives, we can cultivate a strong pipeline of talent and ensure the long-term success and sustainability of the league.

3) I seem to always see them in a small rectangular window. The most visible spot I've seen them is on the forum and it's still not a full size image of it. That said, I can't tell you who I like the most without seeing all of them. 

4) As a dedicated hockey player, my travels have mostly revolved around the sport. Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to visit many states outside of those where I've played games. However, I'm grateful for the opportunities hockey has provided, allowing me to explore different cities and experience the passion for the game across various regions.

5) Jimmy MacElroy has been a force on the ice with his physical play, and it's impressive to see him leading the team in hits. Surpassing his career high of 147 hits would be quite an achievement. His determination, tenacity, and commitment to physicality make it possible for him to reach and even surpass that milestone. I have no doubt that with his continued effort and dedication, he has the potential to set a new personal best in hits.

6) I have fond memories of watching fireworks displays on Independence Day, and it's always a special experience. One of the most memorable shows I witnessed was in a small town where the entire community came together to celebrate. The fireworks were synchronized perfectly to the music, and the atmosphere was filled with excitement and joy. It was a beautiful display of lights, colors, and patterns that illuminated the night sky, creating a sense of awe and wonder. It truly captured the spirit of celebration and left a lasting impression on me.

1. We are one of the hottest teams in the league right now going 8-2 in our last 10 games! What do you think has sparked this streak?

2. The Trade Deadline has come and gone and Toronto did not make any moves. Do you think this was the right course of action?

3. Which would you rather have - an individual award or your jersey retired?

4. We currently have two 20-goal scorers and two 15+ goal scorers. Do you think we'll end the season with four 20-goal scorers?

5. What have you like most about your game so far this season?

6. Summer is here - what's your ideal outdoor temperature for summer activities?

On 7/12/2023 at 3:18 PM, animal74 said:

1. We are one of the hottest teams in the league right now going 8-2 in our last 10 games! What do you think has sparked this streak?

2. The Trade Deadline has come and gone and Toronto did not make any moves. Do you think this was the right course of action?

4. We currently have two 20-goal scorers and two 15+ goal scorers. Do you think we'll end the season with four 20-goal scorers?

6. Summer is here - what's your ideal outdoor temperature for summer activities?

Our recent success is a result of our collective effort and commitment to team play. We are on the right path.

Trusting our management, we believe no moves were necessary at the Trade Deadline.

Having my jersey retired would be a tremendous honor that represents team contributions. My goal one day is to get to that level. 

Scoring is a team effort, and we'll focus on supporting each other to achieve our goals.

I appreciate how I can contribute to the team's success in various ways this season. From VAS to COL was a shakeup but I love the new team and will continue to prove myself in the E. 

The ideal outdoor temperature for summer activities is one that allows us to perform at our best. I don't like the scorching hot days but a mild day with a breeze is perfect. 

On 7/12/2023 at 3:18 PM, animal74 said:

1. I think that having multiple active players who have continued to develop over the course of the season has allowed the Legion to grow as the season has gone on, which has resulted in consistent improvement. It bodes well moving forward.

2. Yes, I do. I don't think that it's time to start moving a bunch of futures for current assets yet, but that time is coming.

3. I'll take a jersey retirement. I'd like to think that honour would come with individual and team success to be in that position.

4. It might be cheating now with a bit of time passing, but yes, I think that there will be 4 by the end of the season.

5. I was happy with my start to the season being able to contribute offensively. Would have been nice to keep that pace across the course of the season.

6. Nothing above 21 degrees with a light breeze. Anything above that, and the sweating begins.

1. The season is almost over. How will we fare in the last six games?

2. After only allowing 5+ goals in three of the first 55 games, we had four 5+ GA games in our past 11. What happened?

3. We will lose three Legion teammates to retirement - Quinn Clark @axtron, Alex Bridges III @Oatexand Weenuk Warrior @KnightRiley. Any parting words for them?

4. You get a week to yourself this summer anywhere in the world. Where do you go and what do you do?

5. What will be your favorite memory of S89?

6. Would you rather - hang glide off a mountain, skydive from a plane, or cliff dive into the ocean?

On 7/19/2023 at 5:21 PM, animal74 said:

1. The season is almost over. How will we fare in the last six games?

2. After only allowing 5+ goals in three of the first 55 games, we had four 5+ GA games in our past 11. What happened?

3. We will lose three Legion teammates to retirement - Quinn Clark @axtron, Alex Bridges III @Oatexand Weenuk Warrior @KnightRiley. Any parting words for them?

4. You get a week to yourself this summer anywhere in the world. Where do you go and what do you do?

5. What will be your favorite memory of S89?

6. Would you rather - hang glide off a mountain, skydive from a plane, or cliff dive into the ocean?

It's hard to predict, but we'll give our all in the last six games.

We faced tougher opponents and had some defensive lapses.

Farewell, Quinn, Alex, and Weenuk - legends on and off the ice.

A relaxing week on a tropical beach, enjoying the sun and sea.

Being traded! I went from a terrible bottom dweller to a team with a real shot at winning. I was happy to be on the move and contribute to winning. 

Skydive from a plane, for an adrenaline rush!

1. Which North American team with make it to the Cup Final?

2. Will that team win the Cup? If not which European team will be victorious?

3. Which player are you most interested in following in these playoffs?

4. How much time do you take off for the summer before delving back into your training routine?

5. Are you a golfer? If so what's the best course you've played?

6. If you're not a golfer, what is your off-season activity of choice and where is your favorite place to do said activity?

Edited by animal74

Probably Seattle- they seem to have their mojo going this year.

Riga Reign - no particular reason what so ever :)

Lachlan Summers - they seem to be good in the clutch for a young goalie.

4. How much time do take off for the summer before delving back into your training routine?

Usually about 2 to 3 weeks to do some traveling.

There's a course called Mystic Creek in Arkansas that holds an LPGA tournament every year. Probably the nicest I've played.

6. If you're not a golfer, what is your off-season activity of choice and where is your favorite place to do said activity?

Definitely still golfing lol.

On 7/26/2023 at 4:33 PM, animal74 said:

4. How much time do you take off for the summer before delving back into your training routine?

1. Way back at the start of the season, my pick for the North American Conference representative in the Continental Cup was the Vancouver Wolves. Looks like I actually got one pick right!

2. I'll stick with my predictions and go with yes, I think that Vancouver will take home the Cup over HC Davos.

3. I'm planning on re-rolling my TPE this off-season and changing my player build to something better suited to offensive production at the VHLE and VHL levels, so I've been watching which players are having standout postseasons so far. Seeing Napoleon Dynamite help get New York through the first round of the playoffs feels like a good choice in that regard.

4. Might take a week off and go with a lighter week, but I like to get right back into growing my player, so I don't want that to take long.

5. Yep, I love to golf, even if the quality of my game isn't nearly good enough. It's fun to be out anywhere. I don't play many nice courses for that reason, and because they're expensive to play. I do have a smaller local course that has a good special for a round of golf, a cart, and a pound of wings, so it's my go to.

6. If not golf, it definitely used to be baseball during the summer, or summer hockey. It was always nice to get into a cold rink from the sweltering heat outside in July and August.

1. Vancouver and Davos will battle it out for the S89 Continental Cup! How many overtime games will there be in the Final?

2. Who will score the Cup-winning goal?

3. In your opinion, which championship trophy in any sport is the nicest-looking?

4. Summer is here! What's your favorite ice cream flavor?

5. What's the best food to throw on the BBQ?

6. Water sports: Water skiing, kneeboarding, wakeboarding or tubing?