What's wrong with the VHL and why it's not as much fun anymore

ShawnGlade

Before I delve into quoting specific replies because I will, no, this wasn't a joke. I wasn't even meaning it to be overly malicious (GM maybe excluded) but It was 2AM when I wrote it and I was tired and blah blah. But since people wanna be personal and then say "ItS NoT PeRsOnAl" it really irks me and if people wanna give brain dead replies instead of legitimate thoughts on what I wrote, fine, two can play at this game

7 hours ago, bigAL said:

Yes. Full stop. Like we said in the forum/discord debate, we can be both. Surprise, the sim league experience is more fun, rewarding, and retaininging(?) when you bond and become friends with the people around. I think it's been extra important as our lives outside the house have shut down because 2020. If your first complaint is that people have brought their social lives into the VHL, then that's super shitty. We're not some 9-5 job where we're all "coworkers" and can't share our personal lives, interests, and hobbies with each other. We're all here because we are similar people. Similar people will naturally socialize with other similar people. Yeah, the VHL General discord isn't much about the VHL, but the other channels (esp. the VHLM one) is used to talk league stuff. Ask the mods to create you a new channel where you can just talk about the VHL - that's a good idea approached a good way.

I agree, we can absolutely be both. I'm not interested in some weird LARPing server or whatever, but at what point is it not even a VHL server anymore? And I agree there could be more channels, this is an example of a good response paragraph.

7 hours ago, bigAL said:

Now I mean this with all due respect, and I mean with all due respect, but fuck you man. There's a thread with 100 people who would kill to be "just a GM". Stop being entitled, stop always wanting more. Take a look at what you had and realize that that's a special privilege. You aren't entitled to shit. Your tenure doesn't entitle you to shit. This place is like the real world - any monkey can be trained to do any job, so hiring managers look for people they like to be around and people they can work well with. I'm sure you'd be a fantastic updater or an involved Governor, but you're not entitled to that. Quit blaming others.

And this is an example of a stupid response. You see I find it kinda funny how you skipped over the part where I mentioned that having that second BOG job was pretty necessary to doing my GM job. I know my words are "just a GM" but please don't tell me you think that I think GM is "just a job." I'm fully aware GMing is a prestigious job that people would kill for. You seem to think I like blaming others or whining because I don't get an updater job or whatever, but my whole point was I should've at least been involved in BOG discussion as yknow, it pertained to my fucking job.

7 hours ago, bigAL said:

literally O L. Expansion is fun. New things are shiny and exciting. There's been so much hype about setting franchise records, and building a team and a legacy from scratch. 16 teams makes you look less at the league in general, sure, but there's divisions and conferences and a balanced schedule if you're looking for an 8-team focus to direct your energy at. We've got playoff races. We had expansion drafts. We have rookie stars killing it on brand new teams. Expansion is fun if you want it to be fun.

I won't shit on this, if you like expansion then whoopy doo. I personally don't like it nor care about setting records or whatever. expansion isn't fun to me

7 hours ago, bigAL said:

Aaaand finally, the truth comes out. "I hate all these changes because they aren't the changes I want". Also, check the entitlement there - what makes you think you'd automatically be given the GM job for a new team? Someone who hates expansion and thinks it's dumb is literally the worst person for that job. 

its funny because the origins of this are actually me joking around. It was after last expansion I joked about this. The funny thing is, this legitimately is a joke. I don't think I'd be given a GM job, nor would I want one right one. I fucking hate expansion, but would at least hate it a little less if it was in AK or CO. We can hate expansion, and we can also love having a team in our hometown. In your words, "we can be both"

7 hours ago, bigAL said:

Freedom of speech /=/ freedom from judgement or repercussions.

if i cared about being shit on then i wouldn't have posted this?

7 hours ago, bigAL said:

I could (should?) go full @IamMOOSE and do a media spot,

literally nobody is stopping you

7 hours ago, Quik said:

I won't cut too deep into your points Shawn, but a few thoughts that I do have:

• The league has always been primarily about the community, with banter and shit talking, and trying to be the best player you can. It's what you want it to be, whether that's the BAP aspect that you seemingly do want in having everyone only care about the results, a community of like-minded people that you can find in pretty much any corner of the league, and/or an escape from the grind of day-to-day life. At the end of the day, on a personal level, the league is exactly as fun, or not, as you make it
  • The hypocrisy of talking entitlement, before delving directly into saying what you were entitled to was too much for me, I'll just leave this point as it is
  • @bigAL I did a word count, and you actually could use your post as a Media Spot if you'd like.

At the end of the day, Shawn Glade, I think you'll find a lot more people who disagree with your arguments, than those who will agree. Because if the league really was as poorly cared for as you imply, it would not be where it is today. It would be a lot closer to the time just before you joined it, where shutting down was a legitimate possibility, if not shut down altogether.

Ok ok. I agree the league has it's niches and groups, unfortunately the majority make it not fun. And Quik, my guy, I literally found out about shit the same time the community did. It would've been real helpful if I had some sort of knowledge on wtf was going on

6 hours ago, Dil said:

Shawn in your last 2 seasons as my AGM all you did was trivia and that too I had to remind you. You would barely get them up in like a Friday/Saturday. 

I like how you posted this for shock factor, but didn't mention any of the behind the scenes. Our BOT TO HELP US RECRUIT was broken so I did each of them by hand because I cared. You told me I sucked at what I was doing so I stopped and became boring. I told you I preferred to do things at the end of the week but threw a fit when I did and demanded I do things your way (fine, you're the GM I get it) but yeah, you had me do everything. I did PCs, recruiting, trivia, even gave input on trades, and moderated the discord server because you were busy playing Civ 5 or whatever.

Yknow, we had a rocky start, but I warmed up to you and started liking you. Please don't make me hate your fucking guts again

Just now, ShawnGlade said:

Ok ok. I agree the league has it's niches and groups, unfortunately the majority make it not fun. And Quik, my guy, I literally found out about shit the same time the community did. It would've been real helpful if I had some sort of knowledge on wtf was going on

I mean, like I said, niches/groups...it's all what you make it. I don't game, I've been on VC once, but I can still find common ground with most everyone here because, surprise, most everyone here has at least some similar interests.

With GMs/BOG - that's part of why we removed most GMs. Also, GMs have always known about expansion from the start of the season leading in. There may have been one time where we started/ended expansion talks fairly quickly mid-season, out of necessity, but we've always done our best to let the non-BOG GMs know as early as possible to prevent an imbalance of power. The only time GMs didn't know something before the rest of the league was when we let them believe it was a 2-team expansion last time, instead of 4, since it didn't really affect how they prepared.

5 hours ago, InstantRockstar said:

@ShawnGlade I just want to say how disappointing it is to hear you bash the VHLM GMs. For a guy that left Dil in the dark for months I think you have NO wiggle room to even contemplate bashing anyone for doing anything. You didn't help Halifax whatsoever and left Dil to do everything, and you just did nothing. 

I do also want to say that there is a majority of us GM's that do our own recruiting, but of course we're going to ask the AGM to do it too, it a) helps them prepare for GMing and having to do pitching on their own and b) keeps them busy and engaged and more importantly c) helps them introduce themselves to new members. 

It's really sad to see someone I looked up to as a GM back when you were actually active with Davos just shit on everyone. If you're so miserable, leave. But the VHLM GM's despite turnovers have been awesome overall, every single one. We may bicker, we may disagree, but at the end of the day you have NO right after your shitty track record to run ANY of them through the mud. 

S....M....H. 

@VHLM GM ily all ❤️ 

I was gonna deconstruct this, but nah. I tried to help dil, I really did. We very clearly have different thoughts on how to run shit and at the end of the day hes the GM

you admitted yourself that you've never liked me or my GM style, but now you also looked up to me? which one is it dude

2 hours ago, Quik said:

I mean, like I said, niches/groups...it's all what you make it. I don't game, I've been on VC once, but I can still find common ground with most everyone here because, surprise, most everyone here has at least some similar interests.

With GMs/BOG - that's part of why we removed most GMs. Also, GMs have always known about expansion from the start of the season leading in. There may have been one time where we started/ended expansion talks fairly quickly mid-season, out of necessity, but we've always done our best to let the non-BOG GMs know as early as possible to prevent an imbalance of power. The only time GMs didn't know something before the rest of the league was when we let them believe it was a 2-team expansion last time, instead of 4, since it didn't really affect how they prepared.

um, except i didn't know a full season before Quik I'm not even joking when I say I knew about Malmo 12 hours before everyone else. That's why I was so pissed off about it, because I had no time to prepare because while I appreciate the effort of letting people know ahead of time, in practice that's not how it went down

5 minutes ago, ShawnGlade said:

I was gonna deconstruct this, but nah. I tried to help dil, I really did. We very clearly have different thoughts on how to run shit and at the end of the day hes the GM

you admitted yourself that you've never liked me or my GM style, but now you also looked up to me? which one is it dude

I didn't care for you going MIA and getting an attitude. I enjoyed your time here in your prime where your care actually showed. Now you've got this big head ego and attitude and it's kinda bullshit. You talk about toxicity, you talk about attitudes, you talk about "being owed" stuff and so on and so forth, what the heck is this article then? 

All you've done is make more people dislike your actions, care less for your words and do nothing but be negative, inactive and toxic yourself. It's a two-way street my friend, and if you don't like how things work around here, no one is holding you hostage. 

3 hours ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

you make me embarrassed to be named Shawn with this post. You cry about people being entitled to nothing but yet want to be a GM of a Alaska or Colorado team? maybe i read that wrong or maybe i just can't wrap my head around the stupidity of this post. I would say I feel bad for everyone dragging you, but I dont. I can't tell if this was a serious article or not. If you just wanted people to just pay attention to you for awhile. Either way, job done i guess. you got dragged and people paid attention to you. i bet youll come back and say this was a joke article now because of how hard you got dragged tho. cheer up. sim leagues are for fun.    

you read it wrong

4 minutes ago, ShawnGlade said:

um, except i didn't know a full season before Quik I'm not even joking when I say I knew about Malmo 12 hours before everyone else. That's why I was so pissed off about it, because I had no time to prepare because while I appreciate the effort of letting people know ahead of time, in practice that's not how it went down

On 3/15/2019 at 8:47 AM, Quik said:

@VHL GM , more specifically @hedgehog337 and @ShawnGlade, you already probably known, but this is formal notice that there will be an expansion to 10 teams this off-season. The draft will follow the same rules as Moscow's draft (Moscow will be exempt from the expansion draft).

Looks like you guys knew 2 weeks before it was announced, so if you only knew 12 hours before everyone else, that's not on us.

2 hours ago, InstantRockstar said:

I didn't care for you going MIA and getting an attitude. I enjoyed your time here in your prime where your care actually showed. Now you've got this big head ego and attitude and it's kinda bullshit. You talk about toxicity, you talk about attitudes, you talk about "being owed" stuff and so on and so forth, what the heck is this article then? 

All you've done is make more people dislike your actions, care less for your words and do nothing but be negative, inactive and toxic yourself. It's a two-way street my friend, and if you don't like how things work around here, no one is holding you hostage. 

im aware, in fact you were one of the people i apologized to. I made efforts to fix my image. I did everything I possibly could to fix myself and all i was met with was endless shit for months. no fucking wonder i stopped caring

11 minutes ago, ShawnGlade said:

I like how you posted this for shock factor, but didn't mention any of the behind the scenes. Our BOT TO HELP US RECRUIT was broken so I did each of them by hand because I cared. You told me I sucked at what I was doing so I stopped and became boring. I told you I preferred to do things at the end of the week but threw a fit when I did and demanded I do things your way (fine, you're the GM I get it) but yeah, you had me do everything. I did PCs, recruiting, trivia, even gave input on trades, and moderated the discord server because you were busy playing Civ 5 or whatever.

Yknow, we had a rocky start, but I warmed up to you and started liking you. Please don't make me hate your fucking guts again

You recruited for one season,  did PCs at the end of the week and gave players like a 2 day window to do them, and your discord activity is non existent and any player in the locker room would vouch for that.

Also ive never played civ 5 in my life 

2 hours ago, Quik said:

Looks like you guys knew 2 weeks before it was announced, so if you only knew 12 hours before everyone else, that's not on us.

ok fine, my memory failed me. but i still think it's pretty bs that expansion was thought of for over a full season in advance and i was told 2 weeks before

2 hours ago, Dil said:

You recruited for one season,  did PCs at the end of the week and gave players like a 2 day window to do them, and your discord activity is non existent and any player in the locker room would vouch for that.

Also ive never played civ 5 in my life 

you told me to recruit for a season? you literally told me to hold off because we had enough players

im aware, in fact you were one of the people i apologized to. I made efforts to fix my image. I did everything I possibly could to fix myself and all i was met with was endless shit for months. no fucking wonder i stopped caring

You didn't make efforts though man, you literally went MIA, got booted as GM, got given a second chance as an AGM, got booted from there. While I don't know the whole story from Halifax, I know enough of it. Yes, you guys didn't get along 24/7 and yes some stupid shit went on there, but in saying that, there is two sides to it all, and I never, ever seen you receptive to the idea of living up to your expectations. 

I'm not mad at you from a standpoint of a personal stance, as I am you calling the VHLM GM's out as a whole, and trying to displace the blame onto us like we're some sort of a problem. Don't deflect your negative views, your shitty attitude and your mentality on the rest of us that try our freaking hardest every single day to make this place fun for everyone to be, retain all of our members and just chill. 

Like I keep saying, if this place makes you feel like you need to be toxic, need to be miserable, need to have a shitty attitude, then don't stick around man, like we're not forcing you, no one is. Would we rather have you? Absolutely, but lose the attitude, lose the "whoa is me" persona, and drop the act. You got yourself into your own shit, deal with it, and move on. 

you told me to recruit for a season? you literally told me to hold off because we had enough players

I’m talking about your first season, that’s the one season you did some work, congratulations mate. After that It was just press conference for you and I had to drag your ass to do that anyways.

5 minutes ago, ShawnGlade said:

ok fine, my memory failed me. but i still think it's pretty bs that expansion was thought of for over a full season in advance and i was told 2 weeks before

2 weeks before the rest of the league, the expansion draft was April 26th, 6 weeks after you were told. A season, with off-season included, is 8 weeks. In case you forgot, that was at a time where we started growing a lot faster than anticipated. Not sure why you're picking on this when 6 weeks is an eternity to prepare here.

1 minute ago, Quik said:

Not sure why you're picking on this when 5 weeks is an eternity to prepare here.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good narrative.

It looks like an ego/entitlement thing, not a practical thing. "Why does everyone else get to know but me??" dressed up as "I needed to prepare for the expansion draft" thing.

2 hours ago, Dil said:

I’m talking about your first season, that’s the one season you did some work, congratulations mate. After that It was just press conference for you and I had to drag your ass to do that anyways.

*literally disregards my post about me telling you i wanna do it at the end of the week*