American Presidential Election Talk

thadthrasher

Alright folks. Right now the reports are coming in for the United States Presidential Election. What are your thoughts?

(Keep it respectful. If someone disagrees with you, that's okay!)
-------
Edit (5 Nov 2020) : I wanted to thank you all for participating in this forum. Many of you have voiced your opinion, responded well to one another, and brought new perspectives forward. Thank you for keeping this a respectful forum, and I look forward to reading more of your responses!

Edited by thadthrasher

I will say this regarding PA in general, as I've already had people concerned about the early appearances: it was always going to look Trump-heavy at the end of today. State law doesn't allow counting of the mail in ballots until 7am today, and there's a lot of them, especially in the most populous counties. Taking a look at the populous counties:

Philadelphia County - heavy blue

Allegheny County - heavy blue

Montgomery County - heavy blue (bordering Philly)

Bucks County - pretty swingy, but bordering Philly

Delaware County - heavy blue (bordering Philly)

Lancaster County - the one outlier, heavy red (plus despite its population, it's 98% in already, so it won't have a lot of mail in ballots)

Chester County - pretty swingy, bordering both Philly and Lancaster

Despite 12.8 million people statewide, these are the only counties in the state with more than 500k people in them. These are also counties (again with the exception of Lancaster) that have a looooot of votes yet to come in. Allegheny County, where I live, only had 17% in last I checked.

2 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

I will say this regarding PA in general, as I've already had people concerned about the early appearances: it was always going to look Trump-heavy at the end of today. State law doesn't allow counting of the mail in ballots until 7am today, and there's a lot of them, especially in the most populous counties. Taking a look at the populous counties:

Lancaster County - the one outlier, heavy red (plus despite its population, it's 98% in already, so it won't have a lot of mail in ballots)

Despite 12.8 million people statewide, these are the only counties in the state with more than 500k people in them. These are also counties (again with the exception of Lancaster) that have a looooot of votes yet to come in. Allegheny County, where I live, only had 17% in last I checked.

PA is usually a hard state to track as far as the election goes.

Even though I'd rather have Blue Pedo in office than Red Pedo it sucks to live in a state that's guaranteed to vote blue (and most of the state's voting power comes from the other side of the state) because I feel like my vote has absolutely no say in statewide/federal matters. EASILY my strongest political opinion is that the two-party system is bullshit and my vote in this election reflected that. That's all I'll say as far as that's concerned.

I accepted a long time ago that I wasn't going to like the next president, so I'm not exactly ripping my hair out tonight. More so just getting my 2024 hat on.

My life in particular in the US is just fine--I'm doing very well for myself and I've been blessed with a lot. There's nowhere else I personally would rather live, because the American Dream is very achievable for me and I'm on track to live fairly comfortably between scholarships/lack of student debt and my field of study. But, I hate the current political system and I realize that there's a lot that's going to need to fundamentally change to give everyone that chance.

Two parties who work to keep each other in power isn't going to cut it. That's stupid and will remain stupid as long as it exists, no matter which ideologies those parties represent. I guess that's it; glad to see this thread has been fairly civil so far and I hope it stays that way.

55 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

And now Trump is tweeting “We are up big but THEY are trying to steal the election. We will never let them do it. Votes cannot be cast after the poles are closed” 

Despite the fact that’s it’s been known for weeks PA wouldnt count mail in votes until the next day due to an absurd law

45 minutes ago, chatfan036 said:

And now Trump is tweeting “We are up big but THEY are trying to steal the election. We will never let them do it. Votes cannot be cast after the poles are closed” 

Despite the fact that’s it’s been known for weeks PA wouldnt count mail in votes until the next day due to an absurd law

Despite the fact that they've lost their vote challenge in the courts twice already

53 minutes ago, DangerGolding said:

Watching as an foreigner this shit is scary that half of America still supports Trump after what he's done in the last 4 years. But then again half my country voted to leave the EU so...

But what has he done as a foreigner I have honestly just seen him spew a lot of shit. All bark no bite. I don't follow it at all but has no effect on my life

• Senior Admin

Interesting that the NY Times is now giving Biden a 64% chance of coming back and winning Georgia on their needle. It was 95%+ for Trump at one point last night 

(the needle is a forecast based on which votes are actually left to come in) 

10 minutes ago, Berocka said:

But what has he done as a foreigner I have honestly just seen him spew a lot of shit. All bark no bite. I don't follow it at all but has no effect on my life

The huge steps backwards he's taken the US with him on climate change for one will effect everyone in the world. 

-Withdrawing from the Paris agreements

-More than 160 rollbacks of environmental legislation

-Promoting and pushing for more fossil fuel energy

-Suppressing climate related science

23 minutes ago, Berocka said:

The erosion of Democracy throughout the Western world which has only ramped up doe to the severe lack of American leadership might not have a direct effect on you yet but it definitely will over the next few years.